“Calm Under The Storm”

Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We arrived at the Sheraton Hotel and Casino on Thursday, December 13 for our fifth visit in six months. As always the attention was excellent from the moment that we arrived. The valet parking staff was superb and Juan was quick to take care of our luggage. Although we got here very early, Griselle at the front desk was kind enough to ensure that our luggage was safe in storage and that a room was ready as soon as possible. Katherine prepare for me the most wonderful Irish Coffee and you should try the breakfast burrito at the Café. Once the room was ready I received a call and as always I was pleased. We went down to Choices Restaurant and met Sojerly, one of their new managers, and keeping with the Sheraton tradition she was a delight. Eventually we also had a chance to meet our friend Elsie. Luis served our table for lunch and was wonderful. But what impressed me the most was to see Mark, one of the Choices server and Karla at the Front Desk dealing with extremely difficult guests. Both did it tactfully, elegantly and professionally. Making every attempt to assist the guest but not yielding to unreasonable demands or acknowledging inaccurate statements. Kudos to Mark and Karla for their calm under the storm.

Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Jesus Manuel H

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Got a great deal on this Sheraton through Hotwire.com. It wasn't the best location, but it was super nice and only a 5 - 10 minute cab ride to Old San Juan. It is walkable on a nice day, but you probably wouldn't want to walk back.

The rooms here are incredibly nice. Very comfortable bed, nice amenities and furnishings all around. Large TV and Wifi was free in the room which is very rare.

The hotel casino was ok. $10 minimums on all table games like black jack, and there were no craps. There is also a Texas de Brazil restaurant on site.

For the price paid, this was all around a great bargain. If I had more time to plan, I would research non-chain hotels in Old San Juan that are closer to bars and restaurants. With the Sheraton, you're kind of on your own with no beach or anything else all that close by.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Len_in_Texas80
Reviewed December 11, 2012

During my check in the associate went through great lengths to explain the advantages to being a Starwood member. She also said if I didn't want housekeeping services I would receive a $5.00 voucher for each day that I didn't request housekeeping services. What she failed to mention is that at a certain time in the evening you can only access the upper floors in the hotel by using your room key. I think this was very important information that should be shared. I called the front desk to let them know we were expecting a limousine. I gave my room number so in the event the driver announced he was there they would know which room we were in. the person who answered the phone first asked me if it was an emergency who I said no. I repeated again about the limousine. She then asked me what did I want her to do? Front desk people were a hit and a miss in terms of customer service. Wifi worked sometimes and most times it didn't. The bellhops were fantastic!! They were always there to help at all times. The parking was $16.00 a night. The coffee maker in the room was for two cups of coffee - one regular and one decaf. (It was Starbucks coffee which I thought tasted terrible). If you were a casino member you were granted "priviledges" over those who aren't. I have stayed in other hotels and paid less and received more for my money. I only stayed there because my niece was getting married and she wanted to leave from the hotel. I have stayed at other Sheraton Hotels where I have received much more amenities and didn't pay as much. The hotel was decorated beautifully.

Room Tip: Tell them you don't want a view of the construction site.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DRuiz801
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We went here to kill some time before our boat took off from San Juan. I wanted to get the gambling started- most of all play some slots of black jack. The casino was small, the slot variety was poor and the tables were expensive for the middle of the day.

Most of all, when we ordered a drink while sitting at a table- it never came! We sat there for about 25 minutes and the waitress never came by. I also felt like I was under surveillance the whole time- the vibe was just not a good one. I would not go back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank becknuts
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is a nice hotel, for business. There is a big conference going on in the hotel, and there are still lots of kids running around. I don't know what they do all day--hang out by the pool? Beds, rooms are nice--bathroom--not so much. I was here for work, and all 3 of us ended up in disability rooms--zero vanity space in bathroom, water all over when taking a shower...and the shower head is one of those removable ones, which keeps falling down. My bathroom's ceiling access panels keep falling open, too. I finally taped them up with duct tape.
China Club restaurant is okay. Had Choices for breakfast--very pricey. There's a Mexican place across the street--we liked that a lot, but it's kind of gourmet, so servings are small-ish.
Concierge, bell boys--all very helpful.
Walls do seem rather thin--it was obvious to me that there were little kids in the room next to me, plus I was next to the elevator--which runs ALL night. And next to ice machine. Stay away from rooms ending in 35! (however, I did have a balcony overlooking the pool deck, so...)

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 35 are next to ice machine and elevator.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TaurusMom
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Right in front of Puerto Rico Convention Center this is the best hotel to be choosen for both business (if your meeting is at the Puerto Rico Convention Center) and leisure. The room , the bed and the pillows are very comfortable especially if you can have the 'bayview' one, from which you can see the beatiful bay with old San Juan as the background, the beautiful hotel's pool and also the view of the convention center with it's beautiful glittering lamps and fountain at night. It's worth to pay extra for the club rooms especially if your stay is for business , because you can have 24 hour access to the Club Lounge with the business room inside and all the business equipment inclusive the computer with internet connection (the internet connection is also free at the room), printer and the paper suply free of charge. Bottled cold water , hot coffee and tea is also available all days long inside the lounge. It might be better if they also could serve cookies, snacks and fruits together with the drink even they have already served the 'hours d'ouvre' from 5 to 8 pm. The view form theClub lounge is also beautiful, but it would be better if the quality of the breakfast could be increased by adding some hot food like some variation of eggs dishes. The only problem for the very busy travelers, it's hard to do some shopping even only for small things or souvenirs around the hotel. You should go to the shopping centre or the old San Juan, and the taxi's fee is unbelievable..at least 15 USD for every trip!!!

Room Tip: Choose the Club rooms with bayview
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2012

First and foremost, I would like to commend my server "GABRIEL VALDES" aka GABBY. His knowledge and amazing personality made my dining experience a FIVE STAR. I ordered the scallops with arugala salad and my second course was the grilled jerk mahi, and for dessert I had an appetizing apple tart. It was a delicious choice of foods. He also suggested an amazing pineapple mojito. Kudos to you Gabby on an exemplary job!!!I will definetly go back Choices Restaurant again !!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends