“Great Option In San Juan”

Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Montreal, Canada
“Great Option In San Juan”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Before I start with the hotel review I just want to clarify a few things that other reviewers have posted and I believe the hotel needs some sort of back up here. First of all, I travel to San Juan often in the Winter time as a starting point for my Cruise vacations to the Caribbean. The hotel does not offer shuttle service in San Juan not because they don't want to, but because a law prevents them from doing so. No hotel in San Juan is allowed to have this type of service due to the taxi drivers on the island. The only hotels allowed are ones that are far off from the San Juan area.
Second, this hotel is not far from the beach. Yes, granted it is a bit remote but it is the perfect distance to the Cruise Ships at the Pan American Pier and it is just a 10-15 minute walk to Condado where some nice beaches in San Juan are located! People, its a CONVENTION HOTEL! That is why is in the Convention District. Its not their fault that the government has not finished developing the area!
Third, the pool. If you didn't notice during your stay, the pool is on the fourth floor where some rooms are located. Imagine you are in one of those rooms and you have kids running around at 12mid night because the pool is open?! I totally understand why they close the pool. Because they have to to avoid guest complaints.
Now on with my review. Firs of all we arrived to PR and had no problem getting to the hotel via taxi from the airport. We where greeted to a party at the hotel lobby and a very well appointed modern Lobby it was! The Hotel Front desk staff looks clean and sharp in their uniforms a fact that for me is really important. At check in we where taken care by Fabian Rosado, a young happy looking front desk agent that took care of us in a great way. We where there celebrating my husbands birthday and I made the remark and he automatically found the way to make us feel special. He gave us a upgrade to a room with a gorgeous view of the bay and a balcony and said "So you can start of your caribbean vacation in the right way, happy birthday" We where not expecting that so we where really happy with it! An hour or so after we had arrived in our room, Room Service came up with a bottle of champagne and a note from Fabian. This is truly the way to make your guest feel welcomed! We had a great night sleep, the rooms are well appointed, impeccably clean and the beds are super comfy! The next day we went out to the pool deck where we had lunch and stayed there for a while watching the cruise ship from the pool. The servers at the pool where very attentive and made us feel like we where their only guest! The front desk stored our bags for the day and when we left the hotel we just walked to the cruise ship!

I have to stay that I'm really pleased with the hotel. Not only is it new, clean, inviting, modern and very service oriented, it is also in a very good location! I will be staying here next time i'm in San Juan for a cruise. In my opinion, there is no better place!

Tip: Make sure to do the check out from your room to avoid a long line at the front desk. Also, be on the look out for Fabian and Rebecca from the pool. They are really well groomed in taking care of their guest.

Room Tip: Book a room with a bay view, and if you want the splurge, make sure to get a room with a balcony! Th...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MontrealTravelLady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Turkish first
Vancouver
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed here the night before our cruise - if you want to tour the city bus stops at the front door and a 5 minute ride gets you to the heart of the old city. The hotel has a casino and a couple of places to eat (treat yourself the the Brazilian steak house, a real treat) The pool deck is great, you can watch your cruise ship as it comes into the city as you swim in the pool

Room Tip: I would ask for a pool side room on my next stay.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 28, 2012

our family stayed here for 5 days and loved it. I think it is closer to a W or Westin overall. It is new and very stylish. We had a bay view room which we loved. We could see the ships come in and the planes fly in on the private airport. Plus we could see the point at Conando so we got to see the ocean so we were very happy. The service was outstanding and the food in all of the restaurants was very good as well. The infinity pool on the 4th floor wass really pretty and the pool bar has very good drinks and food. The mexican restaurant Ficus across the street was good as well. It is 2 minutes for Conando and we thought the property was nicer than most of the ones we looked at. The only ding is the steel structure next door but hey everything else was amazing. We would definitely come back and recommend staying here.

Room Tip: get a bay view room with a balcony
1 Thank happy_campers_fla
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Very nice new clean comfortable hotel. Bed very comfortable and room stylish. The hallways are some of the brightest prettiest I have seen in awhile. Breakfast excellent in hotel restaurant. Next to the convention center so not right in the action---but felt safer that way. Gym facilities excellent. CLub level good for snack at night which ended up being my dinner and access to soft drinks and snacks other times. Staff helpful. Good for business.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Folkgroupie
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The hotel is really attractive and the lobby is jamming with music and good looking people strolling by. It's right next to the Convention Center and you can see the Cruise Ships docked across the bay. Our room was attractive and clean with an excellent bathroom. No complaints! The hallways are also clean and good looking. The patio deck is stylish with plenty of space. The Infinity pool is long and narrow. As someone else mentioned the water was unusually COLD. Took some getting used to. The pool was more of a hangout than a place to swim and place for kids.

Speaking of kids, this hotel appears to cater more to adults than families with young children. Don't misunderstand me, what I'm trying to say is the hotel seem to attract a partying late 20's to 30's good-looking crowd. The lobby also has pumping music going. So you feel like you stepped into a nightclub. The rooms are plenty quiet and very comfortable, so young kid would have no issue with sleep.

Food is overpriced but all these hotels tend to follow that strategy. If you don't have a rental car, that could be an issue. The hotel is located in area of San Juan that seems detached from the city. Old San Juan is good 15 minute drive away and some of the other 'hang out' destinations like Condado Beach are also not within walking distance.

We had a rental car, so we were able to get out and go to different neighborhoods. Though will say parking and driving in San Juan is not for the meek. Locals don't cut you any slack.

The workout facility is very nice and everything is new! There is a Resort fee of $15 a day. Again this is a common practice among larger hotels, but in this case you are actually getting a nice facility to use.

My wife did forget her iPhone at the gym and surprisingly a staff member picked it up and held it for her and until she could return to recover it. What a relief that was!! Speaking of the staff, everyone we came in contact with was very helpful and pleasant. Definitely adds to the positive experience.

They have a parking garage across street that cost $15 a day to park. You can go in and out if you choose to. Not inexpensive, but not horrible either.

Overall, we had a very positive stay here! Would absolutely consider staying here again. Though would compare to a place in Old San Juan or Condado Beach as there are more options to get out and eat, sight-see without the use of a car or taxi. So it's a really nice hotel that requires a car or taxi to get around.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the pool. Much better view!
1 Thank Zeus S
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This hotel does not offer any beachfront, but that's about the only thing it lacks. Hotel is relatively new and in great shape. The staff is very accommodating and helpful. The rooms are spacious and clean, and the beds are comfortable. I like staying here for business, because I have access to the Old City and Condado for evening entertainment, but I can get to other places in the Metro area quickly for meetings. The hotel is a straight shot to the airport (10 minutes in traffic). Beware, the pool closes early (soon after sunset), so don't linger, if you plan to hang out at the pool in the afternoons. The lobby restaurant has a decent breakfast, but you're so close to Condado and Old San Juan that those dinner choices make staying at the hotel a compromise.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
New Albany, Indiana, USA
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Last night was our first night at the Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino and I have to say; so far it has met and exceeded our expectations. We were greeted by Miss Ridriguez, who is very personable and great at welcoming her guests (even our two children). She has been one of the sweetest, warmest and welcoming people I have ever encountered at any hotel I have ever stayed at, and we have stayed at several. We were given a balcony room on floor 8 with an amazing view. Victor was helpful with our all of our luggage and showing us around the facility, We called the front desk and requested more water, towels and a refrigerator and it was all brought up quickly. Later in the evening my kids received a special delivery from room service of fruit, cookies and milk. Ther perfect snack to a long day. After booking our stay here I was so nervous because of all the reviews and even considered cancelling. I am so grateful we decided to stay here and see what the facility had to offer. There isn't a lot to do around here but hopping on a bus is no problem at all. Everything is within a short ride from the hotel. I hope the remainder of our trip continues to be a success and memorable for our family!

Thank you, Miss Rodriguez for welcoming us so warmly and being so helpful. Most importantly thank you for welcoming by children, they feel special which in turn makes me the happiest!! THANK YOU!!!

2 Thank Lori P
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!