“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
morley leeds
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We were allocated this hotel for one night prior to a weeks cruise from san juan. It is a very very nice hotel, infact I would say it is rather posh. We were B & B and the breakfast was fantastice and the staff coudn't do enough for us. The pool is wow with a fantastic view of the cruise ships that are docked. The only thing I would say about this hotel is that it is a bit of a way out if you are staying for a week and it doesn't have a beach but we couldn't fault it one bit. The convention centre is opposite and when there is something on there, there is a lovely little bar that serves drinks and food at a reasonable price . You can sit and enjoy the music and the lovely fountains that are there. The locals use this too, but all are very friendly, but when there is nothing on at the convention centre with the bar being closed it is very very quiet.

Room Tip: No tips re rooms as we were only here one night, but ours was very very nice.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MorleyLeedsCaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 12, 2011

This hotel was nice and clean and more the satisfactory for our one night stay prior to the cruise. It is a short (and cheap) taxi ride to the cruise terminal from here and you can actually see the ships from the rooms. The location isn't ideal if you'd like to spent your time in Old San Juan but it isn't an expensive taxi ride if the hotel costs in Old San Juan are too expensive. The rooms were spacious and clean and the pool area looked nice. I can't speak to the added charges other guests were experiencing, but we booked this hotel through Hotwire and had no issues.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alison303
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2011

First, check you bill very carefully...they tried to charge me 30 dollars for each local call I made and then charged an extra 15 dollars per day service charge, on top of the 15 dollars in taxes, which they did not mention when I booked the reservation.

Second, there is really nothing around this hotel to see...no beaches or shops. Just the convention center. It would be better to stay at the Conrad or Caribe Hilton, or in Old San Juan itself.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank A D
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I simply do not know where to begin to describe my horrendous my stay at this "hotel": the filthy room, the terrible service, or the mysterious appearance of an extra $40.00 ($10.00 for the bellman and $30.00 for "room upgrade") per day on my hotel bill. The room had numerous stains on the carpet and the shower curtain had dubious brown splatter stains. Upon receiving the final bill, I questioned the excessive charges. After an hour on the phone with the manager, they confessed that this was a "mistake" and removed these charges. For my stay, this amounted to $340.00 "extra charges". They promised to email me the newly adjusted bill. However, I insisted that they also give me a hard copy of this adjusted bill--more than a week has passed and I have yet to receive the bill via email. Attending a chemistry conference at the conference center, I had a number of colleagues staying at this hotel--they all had similar problems with this hotel. This is a terrible hotel and I cannot recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank MolecularTraveler
Puerto Rico
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I stayed here last weekend and when the next day I get my car to grab some lunch I noticed a huge scratch in my bumper of my new Pilot 2011! I told the supervisor and he told me that next day the manager was going to review the parking cameras. So I didn't get THAT worried cause I knew that everything was going to get resolve as soon as they checked the video of the valet parking...Now I just heard from the manager that the cameras weren't working the past weekend and there is a possibility that the insurance will not cover the severe bumper scratch!!!!! Now I'm really MAD and probably will get a lawyer to solve this if they can't!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank DannyDC07
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 7, 2011

The hotel was clean, safe and modern with comfortable beds. It is about a 10 minute drive from Old San Juan. There was a lot of construction going on around the hotel. I believe they are developing that area. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I especially liked the idea that you are not able to get to a particular floor without having to swipe your room key in the lobby elevator first. I would stay there again if I ever have the opportunity.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Olivia110061
durham
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Overall stay here was very disappointing.

Excellent looking location adjacent to the magnificent wave-shaped convention centre. Though situated only about 15 mins away from Old San Juan in one direction and the beach area of Condado in another, the roads/motorways in between make safe walking a no-no. Taxi rides are therefore a necessity and add considerably to the cost of your stay.

Good points. Our room was spacious, having a view of the 4th floor pool area, and the bathroom/shower facility was okay.

Bad points. Housekeeping was erratic, with rooms cleaned early in the morning or late into the evening. Fresh linen was rare. We had a tead in our sheet which was never replaced. We had to exchange our keycard on a regular basis as they frequently stopped working and we had to queue for ages to get the new ones.

Service was generally slow and casual. There is only one hotel restaurant, "choices", the name of `which was contradictory to what it actually offered. The menu does not appear to change much and the food is average at best. It was rarely busy in the evenings. Amazingly for a conference facility there is no coffee shop.

If we ever visit San Juan again, even to attend the convention centre, we will be bypassing this casino-attached hotel and look for something better for our money in Condado.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!