“A great little place”

Olathe, Kansas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great little place”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was a great little place that our hotel doorman recommended to us. We asked him for a taxi to get to old town, and he asked where we wanted to go. We said breakfast, so he recommended this place. It was was very popular and crowded, but quite yummy. I recommend the Mallorca (sweed bread) with ham and cheese. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. They also have pastries in the window that are divine. It is definately worth going to. It is right across the street from trolley stop number 6.

Visited October 2012

fayetteville, ar
“Local favorite”
Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

So authentic. Great coffee and terrific food. The mallorcas are really good. Everything was good. Comfy atmosphere

Harlingen, Texas
“Surviving authentic eatery, feel like you are a local in Old San Juan!”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband found Cafeteria Mallorca after wandering around for a few days in Old San Juan; and I could not be more thankful. It was packed when we arrived so we sat at the back end of the stools. We found ourselves between two senior citizens who were evidently locals that have had their meals there for most of their lives. We asked for coffee with milk (cafe con leche), and when we realized it was noon we decided to choose one of their lunch options. It was rice, beans, plantains and chicken for me; and mix of rice-and-beans, grilled pork and plantains for my husband. The energy of the waiters is amazing, their experience and authenticity is evident. They make the place and I immediately fell in love with it. I started eating and I felt I was eating simple but good tasting comfort food. The senior lady next to me started telling me how this was one of the surviving original eateries she knew all her life. She was also interacting constantly with the waiters and their small talk was just a perfect match for my comfort food moment . "Hello there... I thought you did not come to work today!" she said to one of the younger waiters. "Sometimes I also work in the kitchen, you know!. But I'm here for sure" responded the guy as if talking to his grandma-best friend. We returned the next morning for coffee and sweet bread. if I lived in Old San Juan I would eat there every day, like that older lady I forgot to say bye bye to.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Violeta D
FIshers, Indiana
“Yum!”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We loved Cafeteria Mallorca! This is a diner type of place (not fancy) where natives and travellers congregrate. Why? Simple. The food is great! Very affordable prices and great ham and cheese mallorcas! We went back to this place to have pastries, and they were "oh sooo good." We could not help but to visit this place several times during our week stay in Old San Juan. Try this place for breakfast, brunch, or lunch. Enjoy!

• Visited October 2012
Hebron, Kentucky
“The locals love it.”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

A good breakfast /lunch place similar to the now defunct Bombanero's down the street. Great for coffee/milk (leche) and pastries. The locals like it for its PR fare and value. Very good pastries were only$1.50 each. The rest of the fare was similarly inexpensive. A good place to sit with the locals and stretch your travel dollar.

• Visited October 2012