“Average food, poor staff”

El Asador, The Grill House
Ranked #261 of 1,093 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, International, Puerto Rican
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: El Asador, where you can find the best seafood, meat cuts & Puerto Rican cuisine, has a prime location near Old San Juan's entrance, and right in the heart of the Old City's nightlife. The stylish and exclusive decor of this Bar & Restaurant, accentuated by a magnificent interior patio, provides the perfect environment for a delightful, cozy and sophisticated experience. Whether you are looking for an early lunch, a romantic dinner, or even if you are looking to have a couple of drinks with friends, El Asador is your ultimate destination.
Reviewed March 27, 2014

The food here was average. I ate the garlic shrimp and the mushroom risotto. The shrimp was a good size for the price and the rizzotto was good too. However, I waited 40 minutes for my food and bot hmy appetizer and main dish arrived at the same time. My waitress was rude to me. I would not recommend this place.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Went there twice, always in lunch time, but i saw and is beautiful by night. They have a nice price for a set lunch menu, normally being fish the main course. Nice food, nice ambience, great arquitecture as everything else in old San Juan and a well prepared staff.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

The architecture and design of this place is very attractive and rustic looking. I loved the dark wood and the openness and feel of the place. We stumbled upon it while searching for a cab and decided to go in and enjoy an early dinner.
My husband and I shared a pitcher of Sangria and it was made fresh at the bar in front of us and quite tasty.
For dinner, my girls had steak with salad and French fries. They ate it all up and kept saying how yummy it was. I decided to try the seafood mofongo and it was delicious! I can't remember what fish my husband ordered, but he cleaned his plate as well.
Like all places in PR, the service was slow but good. The waitress was friendly enough, but the guy who also served us looked unhappy, however he made a great Sangria.
We did not sit outside but they had cute tables on a little side street.
This place would be fantastic if they could just tell everyone to cheer up and smile.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Our first night in San Juan... walking the "restaurant row" and got talking with a couple who told us of El Asador. we took a wrong turn walking there, but I was well worth the extra time. we ate in the outdoor area. Quiet amidst the hustle of Friday night in OSJ! the best mojitos ever! We shared appetizers... lobster risotto (More than most places give for a main course!), ceviche, and shrimp risotto. The waitress (So sorry I can't remember her name) was helpful, fun and knowledgeable. We loved it so much we came back for lunch the day after our cruise! thanks for a great meal.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I spotted this place on our first day walking around and decided to go back to try for dinner. Glad we did. My husband had porch chops that he said were good, and I had grilled grouper that was very nice with the BEST mushroom risotto I think I've ever had. Next time I am in OSJ, I will be going straight there for risotto! The atmosphere reminded me of a monastery, but in a good way :-) We sat at the bar and enjoyed Sarah's company very much. Be warned, though, the drinks are pricey! Our last morning in town we went there for breakfast which was good also.