“Cool Restaurant in Old San Juan”
Review of Toro Salao

Toro Salao
Ranked #69 of 1,049 Restaurants in San Juan
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 27, 2010

The tapas were excellent. The outdoor seating was very nice. The sangria is delicious. Fun place to eat in Old San Juan

Reviewed July 1, 2010

I'm a life long vegetarain. I knew going to Puerto Rico was going to be tough since this is Shrimp, Chicken and Pork County!! However, I ran across this awesome little place while shopping with a friend. I had the flat bread tapas with baby greens, grilled asparagus, artichokes and red onions dressed in a balsamic vinegarette. Along with a salad that is enough for 2 people. It was so good, I ended up going back 3 more times while there. For lunch they have a fantastic breaded eggplant sandwich - it's to die for! I love this place. Its very clean, small and quaint, has lovely outdoor seating and great sangrias! My husband and friend went with me 1 time. They had the Paella and said it was the best they've ever had. HIGHLY RECOMMEND GOING HERE

Reviewed May 14, 2010

My fiance and I vacationed in Puerto Rico 2/20-2/26. Our hotel recommended a trip to Old San Juan to eat at Toro Salao.. What began as an enjoyable outdoor meal turned into the WORST food poisoning ever!!

Not even an hour after our meal we both became really nauseous. We ended up in some random ER in Rio Grande that night because we could not stop vomiting and had the worst diarrhea imaginable. I have never had food poisoning that bad in my life, ever. It was only the second day of our vacation and it ruined the trip for us!

Both we, and the ER doctor suspected that we became ill from contaminated lettuce in a salad. So thanks lettuce handler who did not wash his hands after using the bathroom! We really appreciated the illness.

This was my third trip to Puerto Rico and I never had any issues with the food there. Not even at the kioskos in luquillo! The restaurant may look fancy and upscale on the outside, but it's clear that their food handlers do not adhere to proper sanitation methods. Unless you want your vacationed ruined, DON'T GO HERE!

1  Thank sukiboooooo
Reviewed March 8, 2010

We came on a rainy night, so we sat inside. It has a great atmosphere. All of our food was great! The sauce on the lamb chops was so good. The gazpacho, veal meatballs, chocolate lava cake and bread putting were also phenomenal. We didn't order anything that was a disappointment. The sangria was the best I tried in Puerto Rico (and I tried a lot)! If I ever go back to PR, I will definitely visit here again. It was a highlight of my trip. Like other reviewers said, the portions are small - but I totally appreciate that. I was able to sample several things without walking away feeling sick. So, if you are looking for a huge meal, go to Sizzler. Also - when I googled it, this place made Food & Wine's "go list" in 2008.

Reviewed February 19, 2010

On Friday, 2/12, it was my friend’s birthday so we decided to go into Old San Juan looking for a special birthday dinner. We found this place which is a Spanish tapas restaurant. We chose outside seating on the plaza across from the restaurant; it was a lovely night and this was the perfect spot for dinner. We both ordered mojitos; mine traditional mint and my friend’s coconut. Both were excellent but we both agreed the coconut one was more to our liking. The menu is exclusively tapas; we ordered the salad to share, I ordered the veal meatballs and my friend ordered the skirt steak. All three were excellent! I don’t know what dressing they put on the salad but it was fabulous! It was very tasty with mixed greens and non-traditional toppings; highly recommended. My veal meatballs were excellent; they were well seasoned and came topped with a wonderful tomato sauce; delicious! My friend’s skirt steak was very tasty too; cooked to a perfect medium rare. Even as a tapas restaurant, the portions are very small so we had room for dessert. We opted to share the banana pudding with Kahlua sauce. This also did not disappoint! The pudding was like a bread pudding, with some heft but light and fluffy too. And the Kahlua sauce was divine poured over the pudding; very tasty! I could have eaten the entire thing myself. The entire meal came to $93 with tip. Not bad if you are a light eater or not very hungry. But I honestly left the restaurant still hungry so stopped elsewhere to eat a snack before heading home. I cannot say it is a good value because even though the food was excellent quality, you don’t get much for the money. But I would probably eat here again because the food itself was so good; I’d just eat a late lunch, catch an appetizer somewhere else, or plan for a snack afterwards.