“Supposedly charming, definitely revolting”
Review of Maria's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Maria's
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Supposedly charming, definitely revolting”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Went here at the urging of a friend about the great, cheap drinks.. First, the place was empty and smelled of garbage. I wasn't too crazy about the bartender picking his nose and then proceeding to pull apart mint for a mojito with his hands. We didn't dare try the food. Buckets of salsa, etc. and bags of dorito's sitting out for who knows how long behind the bar. The other "bartender" was lying across 2-3 barstools and doing her nails and talking on the phone. I'm not usually this cruel with reviews, but I can't help but be brutally honest about this one. This place really skeezed us out.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Rahul P

Orlando, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Took me back in time!!”
Reviewed September 9, 2011

I have always enjoyed going to Maria's. This trip made it special because my husband was with me and as always I enjoyed their Cafe Tropical and nachos with queso. Bartenders were extremely nice and we enjoyed the visit so much my husband labeled it, "the place to be from now on".

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Nelly46us
Long Island, NY
“Come for a drink. Eat at your own risk.”
Reviewed March 8, 2010

If you just want a beer or a tropical drink loaded with rum, this tiny, unairconditioned place with a friendly bar tender is ideal. For dinner, maybe not such a good idea. Rock bottom prices for basic Mexican food such as tacos and enchiladas but absolutely no flavor. Yes for drinks, no for dinner.

1 Thank TonyLINY
California
“Do NOT go here.....”
Reviewed November 12, 2009

Stopped in based upon a recommedation on another web site. If all you want is a cold drink, then have one and then LEAVE! We made the mistake of ordering a couple of tacos. The taco shells were shrink-wrapped, pre-made that came in a box. Some type of goo was plopped into it and then microwaved - I assume to kill anything that may have still been alive. It was just horrible! Went to the restroom and it was dispicable - will not go into the details. If you cherish your health, do not go to Maria's!

1 Thank MorroRock