“Terrible service”
Review of Al Dente - CLOSED

Al Dente
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I am a native Puerto Rican, my family lives in the old San Juan. We went to this restaurant and had a terrible experience. We first called to make sure the restaurant had a table available for 5 people and if not, if we could make reservations. They said "yes come on in, no worries don't make reservations we will have one open for you". We arrived 20 minutes later, no table was available for us, they asked us to wait at the bar because a 5 top was paying the bill and getting ready to leave. Ok, we waited at the bar for 25 minutes, and as we were about to leave, the 5 top opened up. We sat down. We waited for a server to greet us, nothing, waited for him to serve us bread, nothing. We finally got the bread and told him we were ready to order. We ordered our main course and waited over an hour for the food to arrive, during that hour, our waters were not re filled, our beverages were not refilled and no one asked how we were doing. Once we received the food, one of the dishes, pasta with shimp, the shrimp was raw, ewww. The food was good, but not worth the wait, the terrible service we received or the price. I have been to many Italian restaurants, we were not offered Parmesan cheese with our dinner or pepper, it was such a horrible experience I do not recommend this restaurant, wether a resident of the old San Juan or a tourist!! No one should eat here!!

3  Thank Gabi T

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We at dinner here on one of the first nights of our trip, and were very impressed! Our waiter was very sweet and joked around with the kids. Service was prompt and courteous. The antipasto was very tasty, with a lovely presentation. I had the mahi-mahi special, which was excellent and simply prepared. We also had eggplant parmigiana, which was very fresh and light--not overly breaded and drowning in sauce and cheese. We finished with the dessert special, which was a banana bread pudding--again, excellent. We would definitely go back next time we're in Puerto Rico!

2  Thank bebop123
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have waited for almost two years before trying this place and I regret it! Our party of four ate at Al Dente for lunch and one of the member is an Italian and she loved this place. The staff was friendly and punctual, the food was delicious and the atmosphere was fun. We ordered 6 appetizers, to try something different, and they were all delicious. This will definitely be a place my wife and I frequent in the coming weeks.

2  Thank Kurt M
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We ate here 4 or 5 times. We tried other places but usually wandered back to Al Dente. The food was great and was also just as described. The biggest surprise though was the service. Fast and efficient!

I could go on about the food but it is probably best just to say it was really good and let it go at that :)

Eat outside - it is beautiful down here!

1  Thank Dan B
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Our birding group of 12 went early with reservations. Almost alone at first, it filled rapidly and when we left all the outside table were full too. Waiters and manager very helpful and friendly. Italian emphasis a pleasant change. I think it should be on the go to list. Very close also to the Sheraton.

1  Thank Mahlon33822