“It matters when you go”
Review of El Rancho Original

Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Reading the reviews and how busy this place can get later in the day, we decided to go for lunch on a Saturday. We arrived around 12:30 PM on 4/5/14. There were some locals eating but they were not busy and we were able to walk right up to the place where they take your order. The staff understood some English and were very helpful. There were five of us. We ordered pork for 5 , 1.5 lbs of sausage, rice and beans for 5, 2 sweet potatoes, one soda, and one Medella light(10oz beer) for $55. We had a lot of food leftover probably because my teenage girls eat so little. Anyway, the pork was not very good at all. Lots of knuckles, bones and dry(very dry) meat. I titled this that it matters when you go, because I firmly believe we were eating the leftovers from the night before and the pork had been sitting in the pans and dried out. I'm sure it's every good as Los Pinos, but consider going when it's busy. The downside is probably parking. Even when I wasn't busy, we couldn't find a spot to park without paying $3 across the street.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful day! Guavate was hopping! Great music and shopping. The best pork I've ever eaten! This is our new favorite place to go in Puerto Rico!!

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We arrived in Pr Friday the night before and this was the first place we headed down to the next morning on Saturday.. My father is from Cayey and we had two things to do that day. Eat Pernil and visit my dads home town. Go on the weekends, this is when most local PR's go down there to eat. Its a big party of music, food , drinks, kiosks shopping and gambling. We finally found El rancho thank God because we didn't know exactly were to go. Just follow highway down to Guavate make the left off the freeway that takes you up the very long and winding road up to where the street finally "T" splits and go right form there you'll get to it at the end. Ok so we finally get there and first grab our coquito which they ask if you want strong or mild, uh strong of course. We waited in line and basically ordered a little of everything. We were lucky to have had a fresh pig brought out when it was our time to order. My husband is white and wanted to try everything so we did, ha. We have Pr festivals back home but nothing compares to genuine food from here. The skin on that pig is soooo freaking crunchy and fatty its unreal. The skin looked like caramelized brittle, it was hard and crunchy and shiny from the fat and was so juicy. We could have eaten just the skin and called it a day, lol. We had their pastelles, arroz, alcapurrias(deep fried meat filled plantain) platano maduro(sweet plantain) and their morcella(blood sausage), ok we liked everything but the morcella, its an acquired taste. Everything was under $25.00. After we ate we drank more Rum and coke, shopped the souvenir kiosks and headed to Cayey. This is the best food we had while in PR and was a great start to our vacation.

2  Thank TMarie748
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I'm not a big fan of pork, but I like it here and there. And I grew up eating pernil. My mom really wanted to go here, so I made sure to make this a reality for her. We hadn't been here in years so I didn't remember much, but the Zimmerman review enticed me, plus my cousin told me to check it our for the setting. We went on a Wednesday so it was a bit quiet. The food was good. My favorite was the morcilla (blood sausage). As I mentioned before, pork really isn't my thing but I did eat everything. The cuero wasn't quite crispy, but it had a good flavor (Los Pinos which is right by El Rancho has the better cuero). Best of all was the setting. We sat by the creek in clear sight of a beautiful Egret.

Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Liked the food specially the "pasteles and pork. Family place with music, merengue, bachata and salsa. Great if you go with a group that enjoys that type off music.