“Great and challenging golf course, with one exception”

El Conquistador Golf Course
More attraction details
Owner description: This championship 18-hole course makes a round of golf a pleasure due to fabulous water and mountain views, and a challenge due to constant trade winds and elevation changes of 200 feet.
Durham, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great and challenging golf course, with one exception”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I played the course as a single in the morning, which meant I could get around without to much delay in play (only played through one group then nobody ahead of me). The service was fine, although not as good as the course I played earlier in the week for a lower price. The course has some great holes, some with major changes in elevation. Pay close attention to the recommended tees based on your handicap, not the yardage you play on your home course.

It is a tough track but the course is for the most part well maintained. That is for one major exception. The sand in the bunkers was horrible. I've played a number of courses with a variety of types of sand at beaches, resorts, public and private courses. I've never encountered bunker sand with as many rocks as these bunkers had in them. I'm not talking about the occasional small pebble. I'm talking about rocks that in some cases were almost the half the size of my sand wedge. It was like they purchased a dump truck full of sand from who knows where and just shoveled it as it came to them. Unfortunately, i wasn't on my game so I got to sample a number of the bunkers (fairway, green-side) and they were all the same. On the last hole I played, I found the remnants of the bottom of a clear bottle of some type.

I'd rate the course higher if it wasn't for the bunkers. I hope they address that issue since the course was otherwise a great venue for some challenging golf.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank Edward G

Baltimore
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“good experience.”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Golfing and tennis were easy to set up. the pro shop was nice to work with and a great selection of items for sale too.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank woof2you
Westbury, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Golf is awesome!”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

The grounds and course were both well maintained. I have recommended the htoel and golf, of course, to my colleagues and family members. I truly hope I get to play again soon.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Joy M
Chicago., IL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Very beautiful, very difficult”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

This is a beautiful course that was very, very challenging. For a novice, I found this course to be one of the most difficult I have ever played.

Visited April 2011
1 Thank jjac2007
new jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“view is beautiful”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

ocean view room is beautiful but the noise is irritating at 7:00am. The men start chopping
the trees down underneath your room...so don't leave the sliding glass doors open if you
want peace and quiet. Also the tram (funicular) goes almost all nite long and again
early in the morning...sounds like a new york subway system...still no peace and quiet..
rooms are very modern, kinda sterile. Bed is very comfortable with its down comforter..Bathroom is very large with a drop and i mean drop down tub and shower...Be very careful or you will take a deep fall...The hotel Staff is exceptionally pleasant so that
makes your stay bearable...Restaurants have excellent food...especially the ones you have to make a reservation at...very nice stay but would not come back again...way too over priced for what you get...

Visited February 2012