Sadly we had to decline to stay at Starlight Chalet and Health Spa August 26-27, 2011. We called the manager the day before arriving and she failed to warn us that the road up from Buff Bay is closed and has been so for several years necessitating a 5 hour journey back to Kingston and up. We arrived to an very unfriendly welcome. We then learned that we had to communicate our meal choices and spa service preferences prior to arrival or no such services would be available. There is no information on the website nor in our telephone and written communications to that effect. A reasonable reading of their website and from standard spa practices elsewhere would suggest that one would arrive, reserve a service at a particular time and receive the service. This is especially so since there is a website reference to coming down in the morning to read the list of activities and join the activities. While that phrasing is in reference to an Ocho Rios location the implication is clear that it must apply to both locations. They never sent us a menu until we requested one which made no mention of needing to order meals in advance. They sent us their menu which implies that they serve the items on that menu.
The room we examined was not satisfactory. It had mold on the pillow and stains on the pillowcase.
The staff was rude and unhelpful. More surprising the manager was not there to greet us but left a confused and surly cook to demand further payments. When we phoned the manager for help she, too, was rude and unhelpful over the phone. When we called to try to rectify these and other inadequacies she not only failed to observe the most basic courtesies but harangued and called the member of the group who called her, “evil.” Since her diatribe was so incessant our friend was holding the phone away from her ear for all to hear.
The location is beautiful and cool up in the Blue Mountains. If you can find a clean room and reserve your specific meals and activities in advance this might be a place worth considering.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the lush bossom of the Blue Mountains, simple country elegance,and comfort is Starlight Chalet & health Spa. Spacious, warm and cozy suites, snug apartments on a backdrop of beautiful gardens, cool mountain breeze and surrounded by seemingly endless mountain ranges. Starlight Chalet & Health Spa is famous for its endemic birds, mountains, gardens and for absolute relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Starlight Chalet & Health Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Starlight Chalet & Health Hotel Blue Mountains National Park
- Starlight Chalet And Health Spa
- Starlight Chalet & Health Spa Jamaica/Blue Mountains National Park