“Real Jamaican Experience, you wont find this at Sandals!”

The Runaways Sports Bar and Grill
Ranked #12 of 19 things to do in Runaway Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Come check out the best sports bar in Jamaica!! We have 6 flat panel TVâs and one Giant big screen showing all major sporting events. We also have 2 pool tables, nightly entertainment, darts, casino style game boxes and a swimming pool! We even have a full restaurant serving local and international dishes. All located on the third floor rooftop. Come party with us day or night and enjoy the spectacular view. See you soon!
Reviewed August 6, 2007

We took a trip last year to Jamaica and spent most of our time at the Runaways Bar and Grill, there we were introduced to the wonderful and beautiful Jamaican culture. The experience is real and you wont find this at an all inclusive resort. To be honest those resorts are a joke and the only thing Jamaican is the staff. Jamaica is rich in culture and worth traveling (with a Jamaican Guide of Course.) The Ward Family (Owners) took care of us as if we where from the island. We will definitely be back

8  Thank xIsaiah53x

Reviewed July 14, 2007

Wow! We went to Jamaica for almost 3 weeks and we needed an affordable place to stay. But what we actually got in return was sooo much more than what we paid for!! What a great experience STAYING at The Runaways! They have accomodations now, one and two bedroom suites. Let me begin by saying, if you're looking for the 5 star "blinders-on-don't-make-me-leave-the-compound" type of resort, Runaways isn't for you. However, if you want to experience the true jamaican culture, taste the food, meet the people AND have an affordable time? - The Runaways is the perfect place.

Beginning with the accomodations. They were doing some renovations to the suites so there was a few MINOR growing pains, but certainly nothing that would spoil your trip. That being said, the suites we rented for 18 days were ready for us when we arrived.My friend and I rented a one bedroom suite each. We requested that they be next to eachother, and we got exactly what we wanted. The suites are PERFECT for those who want a unique jamaican experience. They come equipped with a small kitchenette so that you can save some dough and cook yourself (two supermarkets located on the ground floor), OR if you don't feel like cooking, affordable, tasty meals can be had at the sports bar on the top level. (The fried green plantain was UNBELIEVABLE.) The bedrooms are air conditioned and have BEAUTIFUL windows that will open if you want to hear the crickets at night ;) and the bathrooms are clean. Just down the hall is the laundry room, should you want to do laundry, and they have Angela who comes and cleans the rooms, gives fresh sheets and towels frequently.

The upper level is the sports bar. They have a fantastic swimming pool on the roof that I practically lived in on those hot jamaican days. It was perfect for a morning swim and for an evening cool down. The music they play there is wikked reggae, r&b and I even heard the odd country song!! And the DRINKS!! - Soo good. The pina colada's and Simmy's secret concoctions (Ask for an Eruption!!) are all soo yummy. There's enough going on there every night (pool tournaments, karaoke, parties, ect) and with the tv's showing sports events, there's no way boredom could set in :).

The location of the Runaways is perfect for everything you could want. There's two beaches that are only a short drive away, Dunn's river is a 20 min drive, Ocho is a 30 min drive and to go see Bob is a fantastic drive up in the hills that's not far. In the same building as the Runaways are two grocery stores, a scotiabank ATM and a pharmacy. There are also two gift stores on the side of the building where you can do your souvenier shopping. To get a taxi/driver is as simple as walking out the door as there are drivers who sit on the side of the building with thier vehicles waiting to take ppl on tours. Negotiate a price before setting out.

Security is no problem. For two females travelling on thier own, I NEVER once felt my safety was in jeopardy staying at The Runaways. The door to your apartment is secure as well as the access door and gates. They are closed after a certain time and you have keys to unlock them.

Lastly, and most importantly, the staff. A HUGE HUGE HUGE hello to Bryan and Theresa!!!!!!! Hello to Simmy and Platz and Neil! Let me say to anyone reading this - Every person I just mentioned GO OUT OF THIER WAY to make sure you're comfortable and having a good time. I can truly say that they make you feel that your comfort and happiness is thier first priority without a doubt. They make you feel sooo welcome.

Orginally (back in april) we had stayed at the Royal Decameron Caribbean Club which is just across the road. While it's a nice resort, it is a RESORT. You don't experience the true jamaican culture which, in my opinion, makes 90% of the trip.

There is no question in my mind that the next time I go to Jamaica, I'll be staying at The Runaways again. The accomodations, the food, the people all make for the perfect experience.

I can't wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14  Thank Morningoceangirl
Reviewed June 8, 2007

We returned Tuesday from another 2 weeks in Runaway bay, Staying at Club Ambiance, but there was no way i was leaving without venturing out to the Sports Bar - I lost 4 games of pool but the chicken & rice, along with a few drinks made up for me being an embarrasing girly who can't lay pool!!!!

The sports bar is a great place to hang out with TV screens, great staff wonderful food, a pool table and even a pool to lounge round or take a dip in when the glorious Jamaican heat gets a little too much! Unfortunatly i only managed to go once this visit, i spent nearly every day there on my January visit, and when i return in December I will try and win at least one game of pool - although I will probably lose 20 trying! -

12  Thank kall
Reviewed May 28, 2007

Sports, Bar and Pool what more do you need.

9  Thank andreaJK
Reviewed May 24, 2007

I went to Jamaica in January for my Birthday,on my way to Kingston from Mobay I stopped at this place for lunch called The Runaways.The Runaways is totally awsome, it is the one place you must visit when you go to the parrish of St. Ann. They provide entertainment for everyone.There is absolutely no other sport bar in Jamaica that can compete, with there ambiance,service and good vibes.There staff is courteous,professional,friendly and warm.Lets not mention the food, which is off the chain.Good music, good fun and good relaxation.Big up Bryan,Kat, Simi [who made the memory loss shot] & the entire massive and crew at The Runaways.One Love

7  Thank CaribbeanQueen7