We also were aware of the bad reviews but for right price you can take a chance. Overall we were very impressed but it's not problem free. We seem to have booked a week where the hotel was not very busy so we likely did not experience many of the headaches others had to endure.
-Check in: A breeze, had our room key 5 minutes after leaving the bus.
-Room: Very nice, all amenities, fridge stocked. However, it was next to an elevator and a stairwell so we opted to change. Went back to the check in and had a new room in 5 minutes. Next room wasn't as good. Fridge was not fully stocked, walls had some cracks. We know it's new and there is still some settling of the buildings but this should be looked after. We didn't care as the room location was more to our liking. Location was very quiet and we were never distubed.
-Maid service: Hit and miss. Rooms were cleaned daily but some towels not restocked and some re-used! Not sure if this is a supply problem or maid problem.
-Service staff: Without exception we found them all friendly and helpful. Great people. Antonio in the lobby bar is terrific.
-Food: Overall very good. Buffet will please most people, you will notice some repitition after 3 or 4 days but that is pretty normal. Reserved restaurants (we tried the Steak House twice and Don Pablo once) are quite formal in service and presentation. They make a very nice effort there. Everything seems to be right on track until it comes to how they cook your main dish. It's a coin flip as to whether it comes as you have requested. Still, if they get it right, these meals are outstanding. Never had to wait in line for any meal.
-Beach: Flip flops or water shoes are a must on the front beach.
The west beach gets nicer the further you go from the hotel. Reasonble sand and beach does exist but there is no huge expanse of gorgeous beach. There are many sun huts along the beach.
-Topless? Very common, most guests seem to be from Spain or Portugal.
-Nude? Rare, but yes. There is a nude beach at the furthest point from the hotel. Any nude bathing in the pool area was curtailed by the hotel staff.
-Pool: Very large, always clean. Lots of loungers but not that many umbrella's. Lots of private area to get away from the crowd if you want to.
-Drinks: Bring a LARGE insulated mug. The best parts of the beach are a long way from the bars. You don't want to run back and forth for little plastic cup of your favourite drink. They will fill any container you give them, no problem.
-Tips: A dollar can go a long way. U.S. currency is the only one worth using throughout Jamaica.
-Duty free: You'll be surprised. We found the best liquor prices at the airport, no matter how much of a "discount" someone has given you in Ocho!!
-Check out: Took maybe 2 minutes, no problem.
Overall, it does approach 5 star quality but it's not there yet. If you expect perfection in all aspects you will not be fully satisfied. If you realize it's a work in progress, you will enjoy a lovely hotel with excellent staff and food. The hotel is an isolated area so you can not walk to another area, you need a cab etc..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 lake-style connecting pools with 2 areas for children 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace with gardens, sun umbrellas and loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 2 tennis courts, volleyball court, football pitch Water activity centre Pool and beach towel service WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo 2 buffet-style main restaurants and 5 speciality restaurants 4 Bars Snack bar Entertainment amphitheatre Meeting and convention room The 18 hole Breezes Runaway golf course is just 5 minutes from the hotel. Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, sports bar and disco Rooms 848 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Sea View Junior Suite, Club Golden and Club Hacienda Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Pillowtop mattresses Fully-equipped bathroom with separate shower and hydromassage bath tub, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ventilador de techo Sitting area with sofa Balcony or terrace Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children (aged 4 to 12) will have the time of their lives with these facilities: Children's pool Special shows and activities Entertainment team Mini Club (4 - 12 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Nudist area on the beach Bahia 'au Naturel' (over 18s only) The hotel has a nudist bathing area apart from the other areas ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BP Travel USA, Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Booking.com, TravelUp, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Hotel
- Grand Bahia Jamaica
- Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Runaway Bay