“Disappointment”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Sintra - Portugal
“Disappointment”
Reviewed September 2, 2010

This was my first trip to Jamaica. I was a little afraid of the quality of this hotel because of some bad reviews here at tripadvisor, but we trusted in the experienced quality of Bahia Principe Hotels which is usually wonderful, and in the opinions of two friend couples who have been there this summer and loved it, so we took our chance and risk it!

The first impression was ok, although the extra-charged sea view room had no other view but palm trees, because we were too low. The balcony really was turned to the sea, but we couldn’t see it! The room was ok, very similar to the rooms of the other hotels of this chain I stayed in, but the bed sheets were too short for that huge bed and when I was lying down my feet were on the mattress. They changed it three days after we arrived. After that, they changed it every day, but there was only one night with appropriate sheets. They have a little problem with the towels in the bedroom. They changed it every day, but before we had lunch I used to go to the room take a shower to remove the sand and salt from the beach, and I NEVER had towels in my room. They take the dirty towels in the morning when they clean the room and only replace it in the afternoon. I guess this is no five-star service at all.
The stairs leading to my room were very dirty when I arrived, with cigarettes and dead bugs on the floor, and they never got cleaned during the week I stayed there.

The animation team was very poor and amateur. There was no animation in the beach. We only had animation in the main pool, but nothing special and attractive. At night, they have shows in the Pueblo Principe, but I Didn’t like it. I went there just twice, because it was boring and with amateur artists and organization, if you compare it with the one at their hotels in Riviera Maya and Punta Cana.

The food was normal and OK. At the main buffet, they have great fruit! The Mangoes and Passion Fruit were dellicious, but the rest is similar every day. I only disliked the Breakfast. The bread was not fresh (it was hard every morning) as well as the croissants. Very hard! They had great Smoothies indeed! They had always fresh Pancakes, but you had no chocolate to cover them. All the other hotels I stayed in had chocolate for that use! The “a la carte” restaurants are Ok, with good meals, but at the “gourmet Don Pablo” restaurant I took 3 hours to finish my meal… We waited too long between the starters, the soup and the desserts. Very unprofessional.

For me, the biggest disappointment was the beach. That was the reason why I went to Jamaica, to go to a wonderful beach in the Caribbean, and I didn’t find it! There are two beaches, both of them artificial. One of them is a rocky beach, with no sand, and you have to be wearing your shoes all the time, or you will get hurt on your feet. But it is a wonderful beach for snorkel! This one is very small and doesn’t have a bar and toilets. The other one is a bigger beach, with some sand (not much). Near the beach beds you have very little sand, it is a hard floor, bur inside the ocean you have a bit more sand. It is not very comfortable to walk with your feet on the floor, but if you just swim, it is ok, the sea water is great, or you weren’t in the Caribbean Sea! Wonderful water temperature and cleanliness! I Love it! There is only one bar in this beach, and is not in the middle of it! It is placed on the end of the beach, in the opposite top of the hotel, so you have to walk a lot to reach it! In my opinion, they lose it! I only went there twice.

Anyway… I can’t say I didn’t like my vacation. I did have some rest and had a great time at the beach, but if I compare this beach and hotel with the 3 other Bahia Principe I’ve been in the Caribbean, I have to say these are very worse! I am sure I won’t come back to this hotel. I prefer paying a little more and get more satisfied.

1 Thank Silviaduarte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,142)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Marlton, NJ
Reviewed August 31, 2010

We stayed at Gran Bahia Principe in Runaway Bay, Jamaica from August 15-22, 2010 and had a great time! Check-in was not a problem and we were given very good welcome drinks upon our arrival. Our room was beautiful! It was very spacious, and the fridge was restocked every day. The view from our balcony was unbelievable. The process for making dinner reservations was easy (you do it yourself on a computer in the lobby). We were given 3 reservations, so we chose to eat at Mikado (Japanese), Don Pablo, and Dolce Vita (Italian). I would make sure you book these as soon as possible because they do fill up fast. All of the restaurants were delicious, as was the buffet (Orchid), snack bar, and Burger Principe (opens at 11:00pm for late night food). I also booked the lobster dinner for us through Guest Services for $50/person. It was delicious! There was always something for everyone at all of the restaurants. The shows at night were great and there is entertainment at the pool during the day. The Jamaican Show was the best and they had a fire dancer! The staff was really friendly, especially the bartenders at the Sports Bar and the Lobby Bar. Have Jerome in the lobby bar make you a Green Devil...I don't know what's in it, but it is good and also strong. After the entertainment, there are 3 bars that remain open late. The Karaoke Bar, the Disco (night club), and the Sports Bar (has games and slot machines). We took a day trip to Dunns River Falls, which we booked through the hotel (Jamaica Tours). It was a great time and we got to climb over 600 feet of waterfall. You need water shoes to do this. They will tell you that you can rent them there for $7, but if you go to the gift shops at the hotel in the town square, you can buy your own for $7. The gift shops are reasonably priced for souvenirs too! We also went snorkeling in front of the hotel (you get 1 hour to do this per day for free). We saw a lot of beautiful fish. The beach was beautiful, but the sand was a little rocky. The pool was HUGE, with two swim-up bars. Get your towels early because they do run out and then you have to wait. The resort is huge, so you do have to walk a little to get around, but I didn't mind. I would definitely like to go back! The resort was great and Jamaica is my favorite place to visit.

5 Thank Michelle_SouthJersey
Montreal
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Just returned from the Gran Bahia Jamaica.
The good:
-Nice beach
-Good snorkeling
-Beautiful pool(s)
-Nice rooms
-Excellent service from " the general staff " (waiters, maid) very friendly and fun to talk to ... Ya Mon
-Beach buffet ... excellent Jerk Chicken but choices are minimal. Occasionally had a Caribbean band playing music which gave it excellent atmosphere.... enjoyed that !
-A La Carte , had 4, only went to 1 . Don Pablo .... 5 on 5 .... great restaurant.
-Main Buffet , ate there the rest of the time for breakfast, had lunch there once and ate there every night except for one. OK but not the best .... too much repeat but could always find something to eat.
The bad:
-Was in the golden section, called room service on Aug 23 rd ... called approx 15 times to have it ring and then eventually hung up. Called reception 4 times to advise of the problem that know one was answering the room service # hoping they could do something but instead was simply transferred to the room service # by the reception to get to the same final result of the phone ringing until it hung up !!!! Result, never managed to get the room service I wanted which was included in our package !
Not impressed ! Did not let this get to me though.
-We ate at the Don Pablo restaurant, our waiter was at our table entertaining us while making my banana flambe which was cool and funny until this so called manager came charging at our table to advise the waiter that he should, at the same time do the flambe for the table next to us so he broke the entertainment ! I can understand that if you can serve 2 tables at the same time it 's much better then 1 but it's the way the manager came charging at the waiter and yelling at him in front of us is what I totally despise !
-I totally realize that we are on Jamaican time. We all need to relax and not expect things to be done as quickly as we would like it !
The last night we were there we returned to our room to find out that both my wife and my room key did not work ! The maid was in the room in front of ours so I asked her if their was something wrong with the door ? She tried her card and her card did not work either so very helpful she called so called "express service" to send someone to fix our door lock. 15 minutes later the head maid was passing by and saw us sitting in the hallway on the floor so the maid told her that the key cards did not work so she tried hers and it also did not work ! The head maid called "express" again, told them that we have been waiting too long and to send someone asap. Well 15-20 minutes later, the head maid was upset so she opened an empty room and asked my wife to call, thinking that if the customer calls they might come faster,,,, Not! 15 minutes later I start walking towards the reception to go talk to them personally and the head maid saw me so she again wanted to accommodate me so she opened another empty room and let me call instead. Now I'm upset so I was a little more firm on the call and demanded someone now! Well believe it or not 15 minutes later know one had showed up. I'm upset and running out of patience so I headed towards the reception and the head maid could not believe that it had not been fixed yet so she wanted to open another room for me to make a call. I refused and told her that my presence would have a stronger effect ! I get to the reception to see this long line up as a bus had just arrived !!! I'm not waiting, I went to see our travel agent rep who is on site and nicely ask her if she had any power here and explained the situation. We both laughed about it as we both knew we are on Jamaican time. She walked to the head desk and explained to them that we had called 4 times and have been waiting over an hour already and that this was unacceptable for her customer to wait this long. They said someone was on there way now, got to the room and he just got there. Thank you Transat Holiday, you know who you are and you rock !
To conclude :
This is a really nice resort, We enjoyed ourselves and you will too. This was my 4 th time to a Gran Bahia resort and all of them where good. I would even go back although I do like to change and try other resorts which some were better and others were not . Don't let my bad change your mind as we all need to understand that we cannot expect what we ALL expect here in North America.
The only reason I mentioned the above is we all know the resorts look at these reviews. Management should know that we never got room service on Aug 23rd approx 5 pm and the manager at the Don Pablo should realize that although he has a job to do to talk to there employees with respect if front of customers. Last but not the least, know one bothered to apologize about the door card key issue and would have appreciated one.
I must say that we did receive a phone call to follow up on the situation to see if it was fixed but no apologizes !!!
Ya Mon! I won't apologize either when I spend my money at another resort on New years as I'm going back to Jamaica.
I give it a 3 on 5 because I expect better from a Gran Bahia Resort.. The resorts are all beautiful but this one lacks on customer satisfaction. If I would rate it only on the rest I would have given it a 5
One for the travail agency .... I used several different agencies as I travail twice a year and the best out there for people out of Quebec in my opinion is Transat Holidays
Keep up the good work ! I'll keep spending my money on your packages

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank BigBirdMontreal
Toronto
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I just got back from this place after going with a group of 13 for a friend's wedding. This really is a pretty nice resort and I was pleasantly surprised because there seems to be alot of negative reviews.

The Good:
-This is a nice looking resort with great patios and places to hang out at. We enjoyed the outdoor patio off the main lobby alot as well as the sports bar and the lunch "Jerk Chicken" just off the beach.
-The beds were comfortable and the rooms were nice enough.
-The service at the restaurants and bars was the best we've ever received at a resort in the caribbean. All the waiters were friendly and efficient. Even when delivering an order of 12 beers. Our housekeeping lady was really nice and friendly as well.
-The food and drinks were as good as any all inclusive that I've been to as well. The jerk chicken at lunch was a favourite.
-Another thing that we liked about Jamaica was that it has a distinct culture. They have certain foods and drinks and music and attitude that are unique. They are very proud of their culture and it was nice to be able to experience it.
-Dunn's River was fun as well. We just took a cab there and paid the $15 admission and did the climb ourselves without a guieded tour. It's much better this way because you can go at your own pace and don't have to any lame group things like sing songs in a circle and smile for the video camera which sells you your group video on the way out.

The bad:
-There are really only 2 major negatives about the resort but they are big ones I feel.
-The first is the restaurant reservation policy. Our restaurant reservations were booked for us before we arrived without any consideration to the fact that we were part of a large group, or when we wanted to eat or where we wanted to eat. Some of our reservation times we as early as 6pm even though at that time the sun is still high and everyone is still at the beach. You can change your reservations, but it was hit or miss if you could reschedule them and it was time consuming to do so.
-This policy also affected our group because unless we ate at the buffet we could not eat together. At one point 7 of us walked up to a restaurant (italian) to get a table, but we could not get in because they were booked. At the time the place was maybe 15% full and never got any busier all night according to a couple who were there at the time. We ran into this problem all week.
-Several people were booked as singles and thus had reservations as singles and were given a hard time about bringing a friend to dinner even though they would be given a table for 2.
-I would not recommend going to this place with a big group unless you enjoy eating separately from your friends.

-My second big issue with this place is the lack of a good beach. I've been to resorts in Punta Cana, Playa del Carmen and Cuba and this place has, by far, the worst beach of them all.
-The man made beach is basically a lagoon with hard sand that gets to about waist deep at best with no waves.

Overall, this is a nice resort with good food and staff in a cool, unique country that has 2 major issues in the lack of beach and terrible reservation policy in their restaurants.

I would recommend Jamaica to anyone, but find yourself a better place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank barkman
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We have just returned from 2 weeks at this hotel and had a great, relaxing time. We had a free upgrade to the Golden club - but would not recommend you pay extra for it, as we did not feel it is worth the money. There is a club room, with only two tables to sit at, free Internet access, if you can fight off the teenagers on facebook! 4 a la carte meals pw, a free safe & 24 hr room service. Plus dedicated check in and out.

We found the food and bars very good - the choice of food was exceptional, we cannot think of a cuisine not offered at some stage. It was one of the only holidays we have returned from without a food craving - I even had liver casserole and the goat curry was fab! We couldn't cope with the amount of food, so did not bother with breakfast but had brunch at the Beach Snack Bar - and yes the Jerk Chicken is lovely, beware of some of the sauces though (hot) , Sangria is 'on tap' and a steel band played a couple of times a week - which was an experience - their rendition of UB40's Red Wine is never to be forgotten!

Location wise this is a good spot to do the tourist trips - rather than book the excursions, you can organise a lot yourselves by negotiating with the taxi drivers, but we thought the taxis were expensive. For example we got a taxi to the Green Grotto Caves (a 4 minute drive each way) which cost 30 USD, this was booked through the hotel, it would have been cheaper if we had picked a taxi up on the road - but it was too humid to haggle! A good tip is to take US Dollars rather than Jamaican as everything is priced in US Dollars (apart from the local supermarkets). Another personal tip is - we like to go for long walks along the beach, and this coast is a series of coves, so that isn't possible. We did walk into Runaway Bay, but walking on a tarmac road in the humidity is not the same experience -although it was worth it to go into a 'local bar'!

The sea is very warm, as you would expect, and the swimming pools are refreshing and very safe for kids. Worth a mention are the alcoholic slush puppies available at all bars but best at the pool bars. Ask for a pina colada with rum, stir with the straw and enjoy!

Take some extra strong mozzie repellent - we had 2 types, neither of which worked! And antihistamine cream & tablets, we needed ours. Of an evening I found it was advisable to wear long trousers - and as the restaurants have a dress code, this did save any hassle. The main buffet would accept men is 'smart'' shorts & shirt. The a la carte's would accept men in 3/4 trousers & shirts.

Generally we found the all round service very good, although when the hotel is full they sometimes struggle to provide a 5 star service. For example, one night all the a la carte restaurants were unexpectedly closed, so the main buffet restaurant - the only one open-was bedlam and they often ran out of clean towels at the pool.

This was an all-inclusive hotel and we felt they did not stint - you could eat & drink 24/7 if you wanted to and the measures were good (Antonio at the Piano bar is the man). Although we could always find a quiet spot by the pool or on the beach - we do wonder how the hotel will cope when the extension is completed.

Overall, though, a very relaxing time, value for money and we would recommend it.

2 Thank Aedelbald
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2010

the good:
beautiful hotel. great beach. excellent food. some staff were great, really friendly and offered great service. clean rooms. i noticed few bugs, if any. drinks were always strong - no skimping on the alcohol like some all inclusives! had a relaxing, rejuvenating vacation.

the bad:
the staff at the golden club are total and utter twits. don't bother approaching them with any problems - they're too busy on the phone to their boyfriends to deal with any issues. they look at you like you have two heads if you interrupt one of their personal calls. this 'club' has no value whatsoever, particularly considering they redirect you to another department rather than addressing your problem.

the spa staff were even worse. i went on this trip with my mother and we had a service at the spa. there was no privacy - not even a sheet to cover ourselves while waiting for our body treatments. i felt very exposed - this is NOT normal practice in a canadian spa. usually there is some kind of cover, or at least, staff give you privacy while you undress/dress/shower/etc. additionally, the staff complained the entire time about how the hotel management had changed, about how they needed to join a union, about how they'd get fired if they joined a union, about how 'those spanish jerks' running the hotel dont know how to manage, and how they would have 'really messed up our treatment' if they didn't 'like their jobs.' after complaining about this to the golden club staff, melissa (the "manager" - yeah right) indicated to us that we had to "put the complaint in writing" before they'd action it further. we wanted our money back, but at the end of it all, we ended up paying $200+ to hear two workers complain about their jobs for an hour. thanks golden club for addressing the issue! (sarcasm)

oh, and don't waste your time with the a la carte restaurants. very understaffed, food always came out cold. the best one was the grill, and only because they had a delicious buffet.

all in all:
beautiful hotel, but would NEVER go there (or to another one of their hotels) after the service i received.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank devinej
Porto
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I was at Bahia Principe Jamaica one week in August. This was the third time in Jamaica, first at this Hotel.
I found a good Hotel with good food, a good beach restaurant with a excelent Jerk chiken and good jamaican music, large and clean rooms. The Hotel is also big...
I only eat at the main restaurant because the japonese and the others, obliged to dress trousers and I dont like it in hollidays....
It was great to me found that the plates and remain ware of the Hotel were Portuguese, from our porcelan factory world famous "Vista Alegre".
The beatch on the left side is good, clean with a magnific caribbean water.
Only problem ... the restaurant and the little bar near the nudist beach are a little far and we must walk to much with food or drinks...
The staf is OK.
The animation during the day was only in the swimming pool ( I prefer the beach and never went there) and no animation on the beatch, as in other hotels I stayed.
At nigth I didn´t like it also, very poor.
But We can have a good time there.

A tip about possible excursions...
I don´t like go with to much people in organized tours...
So I call Martin Pottinger, he was my rep and guide at the first time, some years ago,we became friends, he is a fantastic guide, professional, fun and knows everything and he really cares about people.
He has now his own business, the "Buentoursjamaica", and have a excelent travell to Portland with him, went to places turists usually dont go in organized tours, safe and calm with my wife, stopping here and there.
If you go to Jamaica and pretend made some tours, go to www.buentoursjamaica.com, call Marting and for sure you gonne be a wonderful experience.

Back to the hotel, If I can, I return back there, as jamaican people says, with ... no problem.

1 Thank Jaragao
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!