This was my first trip to Jamaica. I was a little afraid of the quality of this hotel because of some bad reviews here at tripadvisor, but we trusted in the experienced quality of Bahia Principe Hotels which is usually wonderful, and in the opinions of two friend couples who have been there this summer and loved it, so we took our chance and risk it!
The first impression was ok, although the extra-charged sea view room had no other view but palm trees, because we were too low. The balcony really was turned to the sea, but we couldn’t see it! The room was ok, very similar to the rooms of the other hotels of this chain I stayed in, but the bed sheets were too short for that huge bed and when I was lying down my feet were on the mattress. They changed it three days after we arrived. After that, they changed it every day, but there was only one night with appropriate sheets. They have a little problem with the towels in the bedroom. They changed it every day, but before we had lunch I used to go to the room take a shower to remove the sand and salt from the beach, and I NEVER had towels in my room. They take the dirty towels in the morning when they clean the room and only replace it in the afternoon. I guess this is no five-star service at all.
The stairs leading to my room were very dirty when I arrived, with cigarettes and dead bugs on the floor, and they never got cleaned during the week I stayed there.
The animation team was very poor and amateur. There was no animation in the beach. We only had animation in the main pool, but nothing special and attractive. At night, they have shows in the Pueblo Principe, but I Didn’t like it. I went there just twice, because it was boring and with amateur artists and organization, if you compare it with the one at their hotels in Riviera Maya and Punta Cana.
The food was normal and OK. At the main buffet, they have great fruit! The Mangoes and Passion Fruit were dellicious, but the rest is similar every day. I only disliked the Breakfast. The bread was not fresh (it was hard every morning) as well as the croissants. Very hard! They had great Smoothies indeed! They had always fresh Pancakes, but you had no chocolate to cover them. All the other hotels I stayed in had chocolate for that use! The “a la carte” restaurants are Ok, with good meals, but at the “gourmet Don Pablo” restaurant I took 3 hours to finish my meal… We waited too long between the starters, the soup and the desserts. Very unprofessional.
For me, the biggest disappointment was the beach. That was the reason why I went to Jamaica, to go to a wonderful beach in the Caribbean, and I didn’t find it! There are two beaches, both of them artificial. One of them is a rocky beach, with no sand, and you have to be wearing your shoes all the time, or you will get hurt on your feet. But it is a wonderful beach for snorkel! This one is very small and doesn’t have a bar and toilets. The other one is a bigger beach, with some sand (not much). Near the beach beds you have very little sand, it is a hard floor, bur inside the ocean you have a bit more sand. It is not very comfortable to walk with your feet on the floor, but if you just swim, it is ok, the sea water is great, or you weren’t in the Caribbean Sea! Wonderful water temperature and cleanliness! I Love it! There is only one bar in this beach, and is not in the middle of it! It is placed on the end of the beach, in the opposite top of the hotel, so you have to walk a lot to reach it! In my opinion, they lose it! I only went there twice.
Anyway… I can’t say I didn’t like my vacation. I did have some rest and had a great time at the beach, but if I compare this beach and hotel with the 3 other Bahia Principe I’ve been in the Caribbean, I have to say these are very worse! I am sure I won’t come back to this hotel. I prefer paying a little more and get more satisfied.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 lake-style connecting pools with 2 areas for children 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace with gardens, sun umbrellas and loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 2 tennis courts, volleyball court, football pitch Water activity centre Pool and beach towel service WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo 2 buffet-style main restaurants and 5 speciality restaurants 4 Bars Snack bar Entertainment amphitheatre Meeting and convention room The 18 hole Breezes Runaway golf course is just 5 minutes from the hotel. Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, sports bar and disco Rooms 848 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Sea View Junior Suite, Club Golden and Club Hacienda Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Pillowtop mattresses Fully-equipped bathroom with separate shower and hydromassage bath tub, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ventilador de techo Sitting area with sofa Balcony or terrace Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children (aged 4 to 12) will have the time of their lives with these facilities: Children's pool Special shows and activities Entertainment team Mini Club (4 - 12 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Nudist area on the beach Bahia 'au Naturel' (over 18s only) The hotel has a nudist bathing area apart from the other areas ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BP USA TRAVEL INC, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, TravelUp, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Hotel
- Grand Bahia Jamaica
- Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Runaway Bay