“Beautiful resort”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Atlanta, GA
“Beautiful resort”
Reviewed April 14, 2007

We were there from 3/25 to 4/1, with our 2 small children. We had a fantastic time. This resort is absolutely beautiful. White marble everywhere. The amount of money they must have put into building this place must have been phenomenal.

We had booked Club Golden, so were given a very nice suite in building 18 on the 4th floor. Beautiful view of the beach. For us it
was worth it with the Club Golden. You get a better room location, free internet access, and 24-hour room service. Of course, we didn't really have to pay any extra for it, so it was a good deal. The 24-hour room service was nice when you have 2 little ones. Although the menu was extremely limited (5-6 items). If this hotel plans on being a 5-star resort, they need to expand their room-service menu. It's the little things that make a place a 5-star and unfortunately this place lacks some of the little things. If it wasn't bad enough that they only had 5-6 items on the menu, when I asked for a grilled cheese sandwich for my son, I was given a hard time about it because it wasn't on the menu. They had ham and cheese sandwich, I just asked
them to leave off the ham and grill the sandwich. I literally had to beg them to get it. They said they would get into trouble for straying from the menu! I just wanted to mention this, but it was truly a minor problem for me. All the positives far outweighed any negatives.

The buffets were fantastic. I've never seen better selections at any other all-inclusives. The seafood a la carte wasn't great. Don Pablo's was excellent. With the Club Golden, we could've had 4 a la cartes but it was just too difficult with 2 little ones. They did have babysitting services but we don't feel comfortable leaving our children with complete strangers in a foreign country. The kids' club
was not fully operational when we were there. The week prior to our arrival, they had had such torrential rain that the kids' club was under water, so they'd moved it to a room off the lobby. It wasn't air-conditioned and it had a table with about 30 board games, a movie
was played, a few hula-hoops. They claimed that the AC was being fixed but it still wasn't after a week.

The pool was terrific. My kids had a blast every day. The beach wasn't the best I'd ever seen but it was nice. Never noticed any construction. They did install the soap dish in the shower on our second day there.

Over all, for the price I paid, I think the resort was wonderful. I don't know that I'd go if they decided to double the price in the future when everything is fully operational. Anyone who has worries about going now, don't. Go You'll have a great time.

• Liked — excellent buffets
  • Disliked — hard bed
9 Thank travellnut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,142)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Calgary
Reviewed April 14, 2007

Our family of four (2 adults and 2 kids) just got back yesterday from this vacation. We found the hotel and holiday alot better than what I had expected from the reviews and what somem people were saying. The accomodations were very clean, the meals were good particularly at the buffet. The a la carte needs a little bit of refining but for the most part they were okay. Bring lots of little american bills as a tip there goes a long way. Tip the pool people and they will make sure you have an umbrella, tip the maid and your room is done in a timely manner and perfectly, tip your waitresses and waiters and they will be around to accomodate you as much as you need. If you are friendly with them they are friendly with you. They have good english so communciation is not a problem what so ever. You feel very safe at the resort . The pool area is huge and there are always chairs you can find. The beach area is a bit rough with the rocks but just make sure you have water shoes and it is nice to bring your own snorkelling gear so you can go snorkelling.

We definitely enjoyed our trip and I would absolutely not hesitate in going here again. We loved it.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The beach due to the rocks
10 Thank sunburnerCalgary
Baltimore MD
Reviewed April 12, 2007

The food was good but it didn't make up for the poor resort management.

Upon our arrival April 5th, we were told the resort had no rooms available even though we had a hotel confirmation. We were sent to the Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort an hour away for our first night. The next day I had to call bookit.com, where we made our travel arrangements, for assistance obtaining our confirmed room at the Gran Bahia and for travel arrangements back to the Gran Bahia. This was really inconvenient traveling with a 1-year old and a 4-year old. It appeared the resort over-booking problem was only impacting bookit.com customer reservations as we talked to other people staying at the hotel and the only people that were sent away like us were bookit.com customers.

Again, the food was good including the buffet. We went to three of the speciality restaurants (seafood, Italian, & Japanese) which required reservations. The food and service was great at these restaurants. Our main complaint was with the resort management. First being sent away our first night. Because we were being sent away the resort management promised we would be taken care of. They never fulfilled one of the promises they made. The staff that cleaned our room did an awful job. We requested clean towels and wash clothes and never received them. They had an energy saving device where you had to insert your room key for the electricity in your room to come on. It didn't work. You had to play with the device to get it to work. You couldn't leave the balcony door open as the mosquito's would eat you alive.

Lastly, the resort was not kid friendly. We took my four year old to the kids club once and she would not go back as she said it was boring. Our 1-year old drinks milk before bed and we had a hard time getting milk. The speciality restaurants didn't have anything on their menu for the kids. Based on our experience we would not return to this resort or recommend it.

• Liked — The food was good.
  • Disliked — The resort management was awful.
4 Thank Alcamo
Neenah, WI
Reviewed April 11, 2007

Stayed here 4/4-4/11. The resort is nice enough but nothing special. The 5 restaurants were okay. We all liked the Orchid the best. They seem to do pizza for the kids real well, the kids could not get enough pizza, but with the Orchid, you will never go hungry. This one is almost always open. The snack bar at the far end of the beach was also enjoyed as a mid day hang out, where you could show up in a wet swim suit. The others were all okay. The fisherman's place I can’t say much about, after waiting 40 minutes for our food, we were told they ran out of the grilled fish plate, so we never did eat there. That was just one of the many issues we had upon arrival. The room had many problems, but I think no one ever used it before. Many of the problems we encountered, were due to a new place and staff, and will be worked out eventually. Most of the staff -- especially the maids will do anything for you. The frig in the room never had enough beer or soda (2 beers is all you get to a room every other day and no bottle opener, so bring your own). There were a lot of complaints about the beach, but we thought the beach was pretty decent and not many people on it most of the time. The cleanliness of the place was very good, but the elevators at the lower floors all had a nasty odor, possibly mildew under the foundation because after a hard rain it would go away for a short time. The bars almost always had a line, because the bartenders just never seemed to be in a hurry or inexperience was the issue. All in all the place is nice, but too big.

3 Thank Apers
Seville, Ohio
Reviewed April 10, 2007

My family (myself, wife and two young children) stayed from 4/2 through 4/9. We had a blast. I do not know where the people who have a bad trip stayed but it doesn't sound like the GBP we stayed at. The staff is very friendly and helpful, although we are not a very demanding family. My key advice to anyone going is to bring $50-60 in singles and 10-15 five dollar bills. A buck here and a buck there takes care of everything. I never waited longer than a couple minutes for drink, usually was served as soon as I walked up to the bar. The bartenders even recognized my children after a few trips and would serve them promptly (virgin drinks of course). I highly recommend Don Pablos, great four course meal wiuth excellent staff. Again, tip the head waiter when you enter the restaurant and tip your waiter when you ORDER, not at the end of the meal. I also left a couple of bucks under the pillow each morning and our room was spotless each day in a very timely manner. Our room was wonderful. Everything worked, great view of pool, beach, and horizon. We had gold club privileges. The main benefit was check in was a breeze and the FREE use of the internet. I had to wait a couple of times to get online, but usually walked in and sat down at a computer and checked email.
The pool is amazing. It is the biggest pool I have ever seen. My biggest complaint would be the beach. The main beach in front of the hotel is man made and can be rocky. Wear sandals to and from the beach. The other beach on the west side of the hotel isn't as bad and that is where we spent most of our time. There was some nude sunbathing at the far end, but we are not prudes and my boys thought it was funny. Lots of different people, probably only 30-40% American, which I enjoyed. I loved hearing all the different languages being spoken. As I said, we had a wonderful time and I feel bad for the people who have gone and not enjoyed themselves.

10 Thank Sunburned66
Toronto
Reviewed April 9, 2007

Wonderful hotel, good restaurants, great rooms. This hotel is very, very beautiful and there was nothing missing at least for me. I have been staying in five star hotels all over the world (having been a stewardess) and I have to say that people who are complaining about this hotel must be extremely difficult to please.

There was no construction going on, food was excellent and service friendly. The rooms are beautiful and big and there is entertainment every night. I certainly could not hope for more. Having seen the place I think that the prices must be promotion prices because they were absolutely too low.

• Liked — its beauty
  • Disliked — would not know
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Skandinavian
ontario
Reviewed April 9, 2007

This was our first all inclusive and if we were basing future experiences on it it would be our last. They management have no idea how to deal with there staff or the public. We spent our first nite with no pillows a mattress on the floor for my daughter and no sheets for either of my kids beds. We ask front desk and other staff 6 times between 10pm and 1:30am for a cott and pillows and none ever made it to our room. We were in the wing they just opened and they should have waited till it was done to actually open because it was far from finished. We had no smoke alarms and there was a fire the first nite we were there and they went door to door to tell people. The staff have no idea how to carry out guest requests and management couldn't care much less if you get what you need. We had a million ants in fest our room mid week and they did nothing about it till I got really angry. We didn't recieve maid service three days. The elevators were broke down more then they were running. The way they take the a la carte reservations is totally unreliable they screwed up our reservations twice. The food was very good but repeat dishes many nites and huge line ups to get in. The pool is very nice as is the view from the beach but the sand quality is very poor and shoes are needed. This place is definetly not a five ***** And there is still alot of construction going on, we heard it every morning. I would never have booked my vacation had they been honest about the resort. It definetly has potential but is far from being ready. I came home feeling ripped off! We did not get our money's worth! I never spoke to one happy guest the whole week we were there. There was very little to do other then swim and drink if your taking kids they will be extremly board. The nite entertainment was more like dinner music and i never seen anyone dance. When the bands took a break they put on Kenny Rogers CD i can listen to that at home i wanted to hear Jamaican music and it was no were to be found.
This resort has a long way to go and doesn't seems to be trying to keep there guest happy.

• Liked — pool area and bar staff
  • Disliked — incompitence of staff and management
5 Thank Ontariointherough
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!