13,169 results
All reviews grand bahia gold club jerk chicken don pablo the grill a la carte restaurants main buffet snack bar beach restaurant nude beach orchid buffet dolce vita japanese restaurant beautiful resort room safe air transat towel hut
Selected filters
Reviewed May 20, 2017

This is a lovely resort with a huge winding pool. When checking in, the girls at check in were pretty snotty to us like they were having a bad day. We were told that we had to check in to the vip area because we booked two rooms and the lady in this check in area was pretty snotty to us, and walked away while we waited for 15 minutes for wristbands. The other staff was very sweet and friendly. The only other thing we did not like was the distance that we had to walk to get to the swimmable area of the ocean. Most resorts have the ocean right close to the resort. The food was very good and especiallyat the restaurants. Great food and service. AC worked but hardly blew out any cold air. Overall this is a great place. I have definitely been to better resorts such as the Holiday Inn Sunspree. That was the best so far.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
4  Thank Scott P
BahiaPrincipeJamaica, Online Reputation at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2017

Dear Guest:

We really appreciate you taking the time to send your valuable comments about your stay with us as it helps to maintain the quality at the hotel.

It is a pity that we have not exceeded your expectations; accept our sincere apologies, it certainly does not reflect the commitment and the quality that we have exhibited for many years.

All your observations have been forwarded to the General Management of the resort as the guests satisfaction is our priority and rest assured we will be constantly striving to the excellence in our services.

Reviewed May 20, 2017

We stayed here as part of a group of 24 (with 9 young kids) on May 11-19, 2017.
We visited Jamaica before and stayed at a different resort in Runaway Bay last year.
We had high expectations for the Grand Bahia Principle Jamaica from the reviews we read and watched online. Sadly, we were very disappointed with our stay here. This resort is massive and is not family friendly. It is more for young people partying or couples. The following is a summary:

Pros:
Grounds were well cared for
Rooms were spacious
Nice waterpark for the small kids (if you don't mind the occasional smell of somebody smoking weed from close by)
Some hardworking and polite staff
Food at Don Pablo restaurant was the best there
Free Wi-Fi in the lobby only

Cons:
You have to wear a resort bracelet
You need towel cards
You have to pay ($50 USD deposit + $6 USD per day) for using the safe
Expensive Wi-Fi outside of the lobby
People smoking weed though out the grounds, even in "No Smoking" areas - we did not go on vacations to start fights
The roof through out the resort only leaks when it rains
Difficult to get a reservation at the a-la cart restaurants (limited to 3 reservations for your stay, if you can get in)
Staff screwed up dinner reservations at the a-la cart for one family in my group
The main buffet is understaff and is not designed to handle the large volume of people staying at the resort - they run out of food, plates, often
Food quality at the buffet is average at best
Mosquito problems, especially in some rooms. Everyone has mosquito bites.
Certain areas of the beach, can be very rocky
Poor Kids Club - limited activities
The pool were filled with plastic cups, straws and other garbage - the staff do their best to clean it
The front desk was occasionally understaff, so expect slow service
Last complaint is directed towards the "older" bellhop / porter who delivered my 4 suitcases to my room when checking in. I gave him a decent tip for his service. He gave me a dirty look and did not say "thank you" or "good bye" after taking the money. I guess he wanted more money? Maybe he should go to the "No Smoking" areas and inhale some of the air to relax and change his attitude.

Overall, we would not return to this resort or chain considering there are so many better ones in Jamaica.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank Minh D

Dear Guest:

On behalf of all the Management and team members at the at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Our staff always tries to give the best possible experience to the guests; and we give the proper follow up to all the requests and necessities during the stay of our customers.

Reviewed May 19, 2017

Grand Bahia Principle I must say was a beautiful place to stay at. I couldn't complain at all. Not for the price I paid for stay. The grounds was lovely and the atmosphere was very pleasant. The Front Desk staff, Ms Latoya and Mr Orane, who I dealt with on a daily basic, greeting was with class. You can see they knew about Customer Service and how to make a person feel welcome. The room was very nice. It was clean and view, WOW, was awesome. Only thing was the balcony door couldn't lock. I was on the 2nd floor so I didn't care. HaHa. The hallway carpet need to clean more often. But I understand with the number of people there it will be hard to keep it that way all the time. Also the elevator need more speed. It was very slow getting to each floor and closing. It need servicing I believe. I took the stairs so I was good.
The amenities was very good. And man the food was YUM YUM. Everything I had, from breakfast to dinner, was tasty and you could taste the flavour in every dish. I made sure I had enough of the real Jamaican dishes because i know it's not often I will have it here in Toronto. Even though I am a chef (Part time).
I must say I will be back and will recommend Grand Bahia to anyone i know that is looking for a Hotel to stay in Jamaica.
Thanks Grand Bahia and please stay beautiful

Room tip: Just ask your Front Desk staff they will suggest the best for you.
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
BahiaPrincipeJamaica, online reputation at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2017

Dear Guest:

On behalf of all the Management and team members at the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

It is indeed a great pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed your stay at our resort;
your kind words have been shared with the team, they were happy to know they continue to create memorable experiences with our valued guests.

May I use this opportunity to thank you again for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to be your holiday destination in the Caribbean.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable retreat to our sunny island.

Reviewed May 19, 2017 via mobile

Get ready for a long review. I don't usually write reviews or complain but I was so upset this entire trip, and mad I spent even a penny on this place.The place looks beautiful in the pictures but it's not what it seems. I don't know about other people's positive reviews or how people have been here a couple of times but they probably have nothing to compare it to, I have traveled to many places and this is the worst resort. I'm not sure if it's the chain of Bahia principe or if it's just this particular resort in jamaica that doesn't have the right supervision and staff who care. Let's just say if I was given a free week here I wouldn't bother to take it. After everything was said and done they told me if I come back they will upgrade me to Vip. I politely declined no thanks. Foul me once shame on you foul me twice shame on me. Why would I bother coming a second time to get the same horrible service, food and room?

Room
Let's get started: once we got into our room it smelt like poop and sewerage. I thought it was my son who pooped at first but notice it was the whole room. However I didn't want to complain because finally out of all the places we been to the room that we booked was finally the room we got which was an oceanfront view. So I decided we'll open the door, air the place out and enjoy the day. Once we got back the room smelled even worse that I had to call the front desk and ask for a new room. He gave me the run around and said he'll see what he can do and call me back. Which never happened. I called room service and asked if they can come spray the room with freshener. Big mistake on my end because my son who is asthmatic was coughing his lungs up all night because the spray and the smell that didn't go away. First thing in the morning I went downstairs to speak to a manager. He told me he'll see what he can do mun. I showed him my sons medicine that he can know I was serious so he said okay I'll give you another room but it won't be the same as you paid for but don't worry mun it will be smelling good. So I couldn't get both? He said well a good smelling room is what's important right now. I said no problem well just do it. He said go get breakfast mun and after come back to the lobby a tamika will help you. After breakfast I went back to have the front desk not know what I was talking about. They told me I had to wait another hour for another manager to come back. I was already aggravated because I'm just going back and forth now instead of actually enjoying my time. Btw I never got the new room. The smell comes and goes, idk if it's bad piping, rain or a mixture of both, but we just stayed with the door open and used a ton of my perfume to try to fix the problem ourselves. Next.

Room Service
I don't know if they clean the tubs or showers before the new guest entire but my tub was sandy. The shower looked like it had so much build up soap scum that I had to wash everything out before I put my kids into it. The tub has the spray hose wrapped around the faucet, doubt it goes that way. I'll add photos if I can. It's also extremely low the pressure but the sinks faucet is extremely high, go figure. The beds were made every day we stayed and garbage was taken out but those little shampoo bottles and the soaps was never added after the first day. They even forgot to put towels on the rack not one but three days straight, that we noticed after we got out the shower the first time it happened and had to wait for room service. The last time this occurred I had to storm down to the lobby and complain. I told them I spoke to a manager the night before who I told about the bad taste in my mouth this resort left me, which she promised to solve things and call me in the morning. Which never happened!! When I explained the situation to this manager she told me she promised to also call me the next Morning to resolve these issues. We still never got those towels from room service after calling three times that we had to use the blue beach towels instead. Once we got back to the room that night the towels were stacked in a pile on the tub, instead of placed on the racks but whatever at least we got the damn towels. I know this isn't a five star resort or the luxury side, we didn't expect bathrobes or swans shaped out of towels, however we did expect the floors to be cleaned from the sand and the amenities we used to be refilled. The next door down from us had plates with food and drinks stacked on the floor laying there in the hall while staff just walked right past. We seen them there from 4pm Tuesday night til about 11 am Wednesday night. This resort lacked in hospitality and service alike.

Service and Food
This my friend is a big one, if the service and food was good I wouldn't be even writing this review. Let's speak about the service first. Horrible!!! I'm not one of those people who need the attention of a waitress or bartender every second because I was once a server, my husband and myself been in the restaurant/ hospitality business for many years. However do not expect you to get anything unless you ask about 25 times. Seriously!! Some people on write reviews and over exaggerate a little however this is the truth. This was our first time bringing the kids with us on vacation out of the country. My kids never want to go anywhere now. The bar at the pool, one guy making drinks while there's other guys walking around saying he'll take care of you mun, and pointing to the single guy making the drinks. He passed me every single time to attend the people with money in their hands. Trust me I tip everyone and very good I might add. I know how it is to work off tips so I understand but all I needed was a fruit punch for my kid and I asked 25 times every time he walked past me back and forth to serve the same people. This is not the only place you'll receive bad service, we went to the buffet where there's never any food, one day for breakfast we have a seat . Waitress gave us the two fruit punches we asked for with an attitude and didn't assist us afterwards. The supervisor came out to take our dirty plates and get us more drinks, while the waitress watched leaning on the wall. We tipped the supervisor instead in front of our so called waitress. Funny thing is we got the same server on our last day for breakfast, let me tell you that was the only time I had someone come to me every couple minutes to see if I was good or needed another drink and I know it was because she seen me give her supervisor a 20 the day before. My advice to you is order two or three drinks for yourself because it will take at least 20 minutes to get someone to get you the next. I don't drink so 20 minutes for Coca Cola and juice is a long time. The service with management don't expect them to help or fix any problems. I explained all this on my second to last day with management since I was extremely upset about not being seated for our second reservation at the Japanese restaurant I even cried. I went and spoke with management that night and explained to them everything that I felt was wrong, she told me she will call me back the next to take care of everything. Never received that phone call. The reason for being ten minutes late to the Japanese restaurant was because we never received those towels to get ready on time. The only reservation we did manage to get a seat at was the steak house. The timing for the steak house we waited 45 minutes for the entrees and they didn't even have steak in the steak house. The starters you had to get up to get which was like a buffet, nothing there everything was Warren and had crumbs left behind. Let's talk about the food because there was honestly no food anywhere. This was the most upsetting part. Every single restaurant we went to on the resort be it breakfast lunch or dinner had nothing replenished. Everything was always empty no matter what the time was. Especially for small children never any fries. It takes 3 to 5 minute to make a batch of French fries in the frier however never any for the kids, maybe two or three little single fries left in the pan. The buffet by the sea I believe it's called Pisces, everything was empty!! And I'm not exaggerating. I would go back the second or third time just to check if they put anything else out, nope! Also make sure if there is food you take some with you because there's nothing to find to eat at certain hours. We literally had to buy the gift shop out on all their snacks at 3 dollars a small bag of cheese ritz for the kids since we couldn't feed them in the buffets. The last day we stayed, we had breakfast my husband seen a cockroach crawling in the food that you use to make omelettes. He had them remake a new one with new food.

My advice to you even if you decide to go.
Make sure you buy plenty of food, snacks and juices if you are bringing kids. They don't have and it takes a long time for someone to come back with juice at any bar.

Bring your own pail and shovel or floaty device. They sell them in the gift shop but it's for 20 bucks a small little pail.

The beach is horrible on the north side of the resort. Extremely rocky so bring some of those beach speedo shoes. On the west side of the building the beach next to the water park is a lot better

If you want fast service go to the bar next to the waterpark, no ones usually around there so you'll get a drink fast. Everywhere else you'll wait a whileeeeee.

You will also need long pants for men if you want to eat at the French Gourmet restaurant

Beware of the sales people who try to talk you into buying something and wasting your time for three hours.

I usually recommend excursions but I got turned off when the people by the pool quoted me 600 for a fishing trip then when I went to the desk in the lobby for the excursion they tried to tell me it was 900. Then once I said wait the people outside side 600, they tell me okay mun 650. I don't like the feeling of being played especially when it comes to money so we stayed at the resort except for taking the bus to ocho rios and shopping in town. I assumed the pricing would be different but it's pretty much the same as the hotels pricing.

As for the positive things about this resort, and trust me there wasn't a lot. The children's entertainment and staff for the children were great. My kids loved it and participated in everything from fishing, to making bracelets and their show. The kids show is very good. We enjoyed the clown entertainment. Our first night there we watched the circus, not so good. My spouse and I looked at eachother, laughed and walked out however the Michael Jackson show was beyond great!!!
The pool area has enough chairs and places to sit so that was good.

Goodluck!!!

I finally had someone email me back from customer service and it was exactly the same response the managers at the hotel gave us. Absolutely nothing! They had the audacity o tell me that I never made them aware of any situation until my last day. Which is extremely untrue, they didn't contact me until the day I left. It's such a upsetting situation

Trip type: Traveled with family
7  Thank sg1023

Dear Guest:

We review the incidence and deeply regret the situation; our staff always tries to give the best possible experience to the guests; and we give the proper follow up to all the requests and necessities during the stay of our customers.

Reviewed May 18, 2017

First of all we're not complainers and go with the flow when we can. The place is huge so if your looking for an intimate setting this is not the place for you. Plan on A LOT of walking and that's not because things are so spread out. Its because out of the 13 days we spent there the elevator was not in service for 6 of them. There's only one elevator per building and if that's out then take your chances with the trashy service elevator that you will get spoken to for using. I used it anyway to avoid climbing 7 flights of stairs. When we first got there we were shuffled around 4 times from one elevator to the next trying to find a way to get to our room. Food was average at best and only really good when there was a visit from a hotel VIP.
Plan on tipping A LOT because if you don't you'll know it. Most of the service was impersonal and not a lot of eye contact. Felt like a number and not a person. Try to stay clear of the group of women trying to sell you into the gold club. They're at every corner and ask EVERYDAY to set something up by means of giving you a welcome bracelet. Just look at your watch as you walk by or be prepared to say no thank you quite a bit.
Grounds were ok and the limited staff did their best. The beach is not so good. Only waist high, man made and small. About a half mile walk from your room to the beach. If you happen to be older or have any type of knee or back problems don't stay here.
Pool is huge, however getting in/out is quite interesting as there's virtually no stairs/ladders to get in/out.
Weak drinks, even when tipping.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank Rsm0039
BahiaPrincipeJamaica, Online Reputation at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2017