“Newly wed Cheshire England. Fabulous Honeymoon”

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed October 6, 2009

My new husband and I have just retuned from a wonderful honeymoon at the Gran Bahia Principe.
The hotel is beautiful and set in wonderful lush green grounds, with tropical flowers and palm trees everywhere. There were always people keeping everywhere looking wonderful and clean.
The choice of food in the main restuarant is amazing, they cater for every taste imaginable, everything we had was delicious.
The beach is spotless, the lifeguards and beach staff are so passionate about keeping the beach looking great, any seedweed that was washed up on the shore was soon swept up by the staff. We could have stayed in the sea all day, it was warm and crystal clear.
Great staff at the hotel, they were all fabulous, nothing was ever too much trouble. A special "thank you" to our housekeeper Christene who made our room look fabulous with fancy towels turned into swans and hearts with fresh flowers as decoration, she went out of her way to make our room look romantic when she found out that we were on our honeymoon.
I would go back to the Gran Bahia in a heartbeat, it really is a wonderful place to stay.

6  Thank JudithPS

Reviewed October 2, 2009

The trip turned out perfect! Staff was great, food wise your set. Umm beautiful grounds and a fun little night life when you walk over to the little town within the Gran Bahia Principe grounds. When all the bars close another one opens at the burger shack in the little town square village I just mentioned. So your night wont get cut short. Rooms and bathrooms were perfect, My girlfriend didn't complain.. and that was a first lol..
We meet tons and tons of couples, families, friends and they all enjoyed there stay just as much as we did.
So ya , It's been a year since I was there and I still can't stop thinking about it.

All in all, don't hesitate to Book it! It's heaven!

And look out for megal! best little bartender ever!! You'll find him at the burger place after hours!!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dominue34
Reviewed October 2, 2009

we stayed here for two weeks and had the best holiday! the hotel was better than we thought and we could not fault it in any way. the staff were very friendly, we found our maid to be exta nice and helpful and we did not tip her until the end of the holiday and she still cleaned our room to a high standard every day.

try the italian restaurant, it was gorgeous.

if you are visiting jamaica dunns river fall is a must. please do not listen to the bad reviews that some people are leaving on here, i guess theres just no pleasing some people! i would not hesitate to go back and have already priced for next year! yeah mon!!!!

1  Thank xpertweb
Reviewed October 2, 2009

This is a little late but still written with love!!

We travelled to the Gran Bahia Principe in Jamaica. It was fantastic and we recommend to anyone who will listen!

The location is perfect on a long stretch of beach that is private and the water shallow which is family friendly and also relaxing in terms of just laying back in the water and enjoying the Caribbean sea. There is a small beach directly in front of the hotel ignore it - fun to look at and plod along with flip flops on but with the long pristine stretch of beach to the left of the hotel the other would only leave you asking why?

We enjoyed the food pretty much overall but the non buffet restaurants were a little more high end...however at the buffett Jamaica night was fantastic - which is of course a relief being in JA and all...We ate lunch every day at the outdoor spot on the water with buffett and again we waited patiently for Jerk BBQ they often hosted!! Dont take the hot sauce unless you can handle something like pure fire....

The rooms were a bit small but lovely with fancy washrooms and a nice balcony...The grounds were well kept and the amenities at this location were a great deal higher end than we are used to - which is guess is common with Jamaica...we are more in the area of travelling the boutique type hotels throughout the Caribbean this felt like we were celebrities...Wine bar, lounge and many formal seating areas....

The staff were friendly, respectful and helpful. We enjoyed chatting easily with the staff and were pleased that they also appeared to enjoy the people at the hotel. There is a fantasitc huge pool that wraps the front of the hotel and has three swim up bars...the on site shopping with entertainment area is brilliant and in the end if you don't want to or are just too tired to leave the hotel you really don't have to, which at the same time is the only drawback. In the end I was too much of a headcase / burnout victim to muster up energy to leave the site so this time I did not get to share beautiful Jamaica with my family (I have been throughout the island previously and love it!!). So we will have to return and we would happily stay at the Gran Bahia again - this time just muster up the energy to get out and experience wonderful JA!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family

Food diversity

Reviewed September 30, 2009

Visited this resort Sept 13th-20th/2009
Only draw back was flight from Vancouver to Toronto-Montego Bay
Would have preferred a direct flight, but Air Canada Vacations direct flights not available till November. Other carriers the same. Air Transat was Vancouver to Montreal - Montego Bay. Left at 11;30 pm the 12th and arrived 1:00 Pm Montego Bay. No problem with getting luggage or customs swish 123. Use the porters 2 bags $2.00 US. "I'll take care of you mon, you take care of me" seems fair enough. there was 4 of us travelling and we had 7 bags, $1,00 US per bag which is the norm.
Just tell them what hotel and they take your luggage to the proper buses.
bus ride was an 1 hr + 1/2 stopped at a small watering hole, pit stop, some vendors (washrooms) bought Red Stripe beer $4.00 each. had to try it - wife doesn't like beer, daughter, friend and I had one but the wife wanted to taste it, darn I could have had two. GOOD BEER. Driver was informative and scenery was spectacular along the way to the resort.
No charge for safes in room Air Canada was free, just had to leave a $50.00 deposit for key.Credit Card imprint. Lobby is beautiful, nice fancy bar, one outside and one inside. Lobby isn't air conditioned, but I can understand that, better to get cliamatized to the Jamaican temperatures. Hot Hot Hot. Meeting rooms off the lobby were and there we got out itinerary and packages for our a la carte restaurants. Beach towel chits given out, but beach towels were already on our beds. We could have uese two each, but got clean ones everyday at the pool hut.
Our rooms were clean and spacious with large patio doors and balconies.two tables one outside and one inside with 2 chairs for each table. the dresser and mirror were large and the dresser drawers were adequate and the closets were large, Ours was a king bed 4 poster, the bathroom was marble floors with sepearte shower and toilet cubiles with frosted glass doors each room has a jacuzzi tub, large enough and clean. No mildew. No ants in the room either. the bar fridge was fully stocked with beer soft drinks and water every day. Nice. House keeping was on top of everything. Nothing was left for us to ask for. Housekeeping staff was pleasant and friendly, we were on the ground floor, our rooms faced the 'Grill a la carte restaurant and the pool was on the other side. so we didn't hear any loud reggae music or the pools boom boom box.
TV is amall, but adequate for our needs we didn't come to watch tv. Our room was adequately air conditioned and the ceiling fan even made it cooler it circulated the air really well.
The distance we walked to the restaurants was not bad at all maybe 3 mins walking fast or 5 min slow stroll. , the pool, the snack bar where they had a buffet and the jerk chicken. I'll never eat KFC again. Jerk chicken was absolutely out of this world. they had a couple of sauces that made it even hotter. If you like it hot.
the buffet restaurant served breakfast, lunch and dinner and we had a really good asortment of foods and if you went hungry it was your own fault. We got Marvelous Marvin as our server, "So far so Good" his favourite saying and he was a hoot and he worked his butt off. If you get Marvin as your server give show him your appreciation. We did.
The pool was large and had several activities throughout the day the swim up bar was always hopping, but Gerrick the bar tender said the hotel wasn't at peak and during peak you wouldn't be able to talk and have a conversation with him as he would be too busy. Gerrick was also another good one to ask for. We had no problem getting lounges, the towel method of saving your space is constant, but nothing is really done about it. Get up early in the morning and get your beach towels on your loungers no one is going to move them. You can go to breakfast and lunch where your bathing suit as long as the men are wearing a T shirt and the ladies are wearing a cover up.
Our Air Canada Vacation greeter was Senor and he had a 9 - 9:30 am meeting telling us of all the various excursions available. and there were a few others telling of the various themes available. they give you a list of things to see and do with accompanying brochures. Book you excursions early.
The Cool Runnings Dunns Falls River was my favourite more commonly referred to as the "Partie boat" It's a Catamaran that sails just outside Ocho Rios and you get to snokel in the ocean (I recommend you take water shoes ($7.00 to rent) you can buy your own at the Pueble Principe (resort shops) for $7.00 these will be necessary to climb up the rocks at the Dunns River Falls.
they give you life waite floats to help you in the water to keep you bouyant as you will be swimming agains the current intially and they also sell water proof cameras on board, our daughter had her own waterproof camera, the fish will come up to your hand and take bread from you. The variety of species and colours of fish is breath taking. They had sufficient spotters to watch us. I recommend you take the finns available you'll find it much easier swimming against the current. Comming back to the boat is easier with the current duh. surprising how fast it is. Lot of fun. Then in was on to the Dunns Falls River climb. Prior to this they served non alcoholic beverages and for a good reason. You need your wits about you to climb these rocks when the water is rushing over them. They have sufficient guides and spotters watching for people with difficulties, but no one got hurt and it was a lot of fun climbing. 965 feet through the falls. Refreshing. The took a video of our group and also they took pictures on board the catamaran as well. they will offer you a dvd of your group climbing the falls and also a photo disc of you on board the catamaran. Take spending money. $40.00 for photo disc cash $50.00 for credit card. same for the dvd of the falls. It's worth it, buying memories.
they had a shopping excursion into Ocho Rios shops and then their little flea marekt huts, this I didn't go on and for good reason. My wife,daughter and friend went and although you can barter in the shops most of the stuff could be bought at the Pueblo Principe at comparable prices. the flea market huts was a little intimidating as my wife could tell you. Just stand your ground with your hand on your hip like a Diva and say "I don't want it!" they'll not bother you, but don't promise that you;ll come back because they'll call you on it. I wasn't interested in sight seeing on this trip all I wanted to do was sit at the beach or pool get some rays sip my rum punch and just relax. the Cool Runnings cruise though is a must. there was only 2 days when it rained and it only rained for 1/2 hour I was already in the pool and so getting wet wasn't a problem mon.
The 4 a la carte restaurants Grill, Don Pablo, Dolce Vita, and the Mikado have excellent choices of cuisine and the Mikado is a must. If you like fish, shrimp chicken beef and rice and vegetables in a stirr fry this is right up your alley.
The had entertainemtn every night, Some different themes for every night too. Karoke in the bar situated at the Pueblo Principe shops. Also a disco, and a stage for the dances and entertainment.
Drinks were being served at all tables. the snack bar tables and chairs were organized for a Pirates night one evening and the dances dressed in local native dress from the l700's and the the show was a hit. they even got me up dancing on the stage with my wife. We were treated like family by the
dancers and they are professional entertainers. One of the girls I took a shine to was Isabella oh Isabella!. One of the dancers Romano was so kind to my wife and daughter too. Such great group they made you feel like dancing.
The resort is quite large and will eventually be even bigger as they are building an addition and an additional lobby to the west side of the resort and the construction did not interfere with the existing resort. This resort is capable of holding 2500 visitors, so for us being here at this time of year was ok as we didn't have to line up and deal with a lot of crowds. Our dinner reservations were timed right and we didn't have to wait to be seated It is a family oriented resort, but there weren't many kids this time of year, but kids don't bother me. And most of the kids that were there were well behaved.
So if your thinking of a Jamaican vacation and looking for an All Inclusive Resort - give the Gran Bahia Principe a go, You'll be pleasantly surprised. by the way Gran Bahia Principe being Spanish converted to English means The Grand Princess Bay. nice. Yeah Mon!

2  Thank grizzlybear123
Reviewed September 29, 2009

We stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica from Sept 12-19th, and I would just say I had an amazing time!

From Airport: We arrived at Montego bay at around 6:00ish in the evening, passes through customs easily, and with an hour and 15 minute bus ride, we arrived at the hotel around 7:45. It was quite a long day of travelling, being that I was at the airport back home at 9am.

Arrival: Check in was simple. They served cocktails, and we had to fill out some forms, and were taken to our rooms.

Rooms: Our rooms were on the 5th floor, and my boyfriend and I stayed in a room with a view of the pool, where my family I was with was across the hallway, and had a view of the ocean. Both views were nice, however beach view, was priceless when the sunsets! The rooms were kept very clean, nice king size bed, minibar w/beer, cokes, sprite, orange soda, chips and bottled water. There is a table with 2 chairs, and tv. The AC in the room was perfect for me, I even found it a little chilly sometimes. But i will take chilly over being hot in my room. Our maid was lovely, and we always left her a little something for taking care of our room, like extra towels and bottled water. We really didn't spend a lot of time in the rooms, but when we did, its nice that its clean and proper.

Pool: I didn't travel 4000 miles for the pool. I don't understand why people do. I find it quite bizarre. However the pools looked quite lovely, it seemesd like there were 6 pools, and they were huge and round. Nice for the kids...they had shallow pools for babies and kids. Bars at the pool were nice, good drinks. If I passing by to get a fresh towel, you can always get a drink at the same time.

Staff: I cannot say more than they are the nicest people you will ever meet. I have been to numerous resort at different locations in the islands, and at this resort, everyone, from the reception, bellboy, cleaner, maid, bartender, waitresses, lifeguards, pool staff, beach staff, everyone, was so nice. You can talk with them, laugh, share stories. They are just the nicest people. If you talk, give them respect and are pleasant with them, they will do the same for you! I have hugged so many people when leaving a resort! (And I have even been to Club Med!) A lil note: For the single ladies, some of the guys here are quite charming, and good looking, the Jamaican guys really do knoe how to charm girls, plus I never got his name, but the towel hut/dj...he looked and sounded latin...oh so hot! Single ladies have fun!

Food: Here you will never be hungry! B-fast has a good variety of dishes, eggs any style you want, breads, croissants, fruit, coffee....the best ever! They also different styles of meats for b-fast. Lunch, consist of the buffet or snack bar on the beach. Buffet was great, I love salads, and rice, and lean meats. And a variety of food as well. I didn't go to the snack bar, unless for jerk chicken. Dinner you have the restaurants or the buffet. We did not eat at any of the restos, simply my family and I enjoyed having such a variety of food to choose from. Every night, you have like 50 dishes to choose. And yes they have some Jamaican dishes, or dishes from the carribean. They had stew chicken, beef, ackee and saltfish, curry chicken and goat, jackfriut, lots of fish, and different dishes. I'm somebody, I'm not going to travel 4000 miles away to eat pasta, burgers, hotdogs, steaks or japanese. I come from one of the best cities in the world for food. (Montreal has the best italian restos, burgers, asian cuisine.)

Beach: Like the reviews before, the beach is a little rocky, but to the far left, is the white, soft sand and clear waters. Lots of chairs, and huts to get away from the sun. Its hot people do remeber that, you can easily burn, lots of sunscreen.

Entertainment: The hotel has some but not a lot. The Disco at night is ok. And at the bars and pools. However do not think this is drink and get drunk, grind like in a music video with Sean Paul or Beenie Man at the mike! Its more quieter than that.

Overall, this place is big, lots of walking, with is fabulous. Plus after days you learn all the little shortcuts. For people who work in offices, and are taking time off, this will do your body wonders. To actually move all day, and be at such a beautiful place, you will want to walk everywhere.

The shopping complex is great also. You can bargain with the store managers. Its actually cheaper than at Ochos Rios. Do not go on the shopping excursion.

I would definitely go back to the Gran Bahia if I could this year, but hopefully next year!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!