“Great Place to relaxe”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Edmundston
“Great Place to relaxe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2009

Just got back from Gran bahia Principe. We stayed there from the 27th of March to the 3rd of April and we enjoyed every minute of our stay. Mind you that it's probably not a 5 star but I'd give it a 4 to 4.5. The grouds are very well kept and this place is very big so be prepared to walk. The beach on the far left is beautiful, not the bigest beach I've seen but it's fine to my standard. The beach in front of the resort is man made and is rocky. Pool is huge and very nice, 2 pool bars. Didn't spend to much time there so I could tell you how was the service. Restaurants...Italian we didn't like but Grill and Mikado was very good. Buffet was fine, we always found something that we liked and same for the restaurant at the beach. Jerk chicken was terrific...If you go, this is something you have to try!!
There is some shops on the resorts...prices are about the same has in Ochos Rios...maybe a little higher but the don't take any prices at face value...everything is bargaineable in Jamaica.
Overall service was good and I don't have much to complained about. Our room was well cleaned everyday.

To resume this resort....for a good price this resort is very good and I would probably go back if I can.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MikaCerveza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,051)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2009

My teenage daughter and I had a wonderful experience here contrary to ALL my warnings about the safety in Jamaica. Being a very protective mother I can say this is all RUMOR. At home we would never walk into a "bad nieghborhood" so why would we elsewhere. Stay at the resort, go on the tours and you are good to go. This resort is top of the line ranging from the cleanliness, the food, the service and most of all the safety. We left the resort to go to Dolphin Cove where we swam with the dolphins and went on a morning shopping trip to Ocho Rios and had a nice lunch at the Hard Rock. The shopping trip is fast paced so make your purchases quickly. We liked this because it gave us time to go back and hit the beach.

Although we did not go to Dunn's River Falls, if you are planning to bring your own Aqua Socks, otherwise you can rent them there. There is also the option of the dry walk or the wet walk.

Seats at the pool fill up quickly so I suggest you mark your chair as soon as you get up, get breakfast and then head to the pool.

Not sure what the negative comments were about in the other reviews. I am a very tough customer and I thought it was excellent.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank pparise
stratford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2009

We flew Skyservice, good friendly service. This included the golden club, you are already checked in, and alacartes are booked,all with reasonable reservation times. The drive from the airport is very nice, driving along the coast all the way. It is a nice looking resort, and clean, could use some touchups here and there, not a big deal though.
The buffet has good variety, and the alacartes where all good, we skipped the Fishermans.
Nice large pool, plenty of chairs. The beach is great to the left of the resort, just a short walk, and has a bar at the far end, they are happy to see you.There is great service at the pool bar, ask for Garrick, he is the mon
We did the catarmaran, and Dunn River, if you haven't experienced this, it is worth your while.
All in all the people are friendly, and the weather cooperated, so we have no problem mon. Enjoy !!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank brucep11
west country
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2009

I work in the travel industry in the Uk and have travelled alot and wasnt sure what to make of the reviews before we travelled so stopped reading them and decided to form my own opinion once there. I hope this review is informative and helpful, I will try and be brief, if you have any questions please contact me I will try and answer any queries you may have.

The hotel is beautiful, very clean and the grounds well maintained (we reported a broken toilet seat and lightbulb out on our first night there and it was fixed by the time we went back to the room after dinner.

Rooms - on arrival we were allocated a ground floor in block 14 which was very dark and moved after 2 days to a 5th floor room in block 12 which had a great location and sea and pool views - we had requested a high floor, I know this cannot be guaranteed but makes a real difference email the hotel prior to arrival and email them again to try and get a high floor. The room was really large with plently of wardrobe and drawer space, there was a basket of the usual toiletries in the bathroom which had a jacuzzi bath and seperate shower and a hairdryer. The room had an iron and ironing board,the usual cable tv channels and mini bar with soft drinks and beer. The safety deposit box was 6u$ per day rental which I though quite expensive, we locked everything in our bags and had no problems - not recommended I know but felt it was ok to do this. The room was kept spotlessly clean although the airconditioning wasnt that cooling at night.

Restaurants - we really enjoyed the buffet, Im vegetarian and there was plenty of choice for my meat eating husband and myself and we didnt find the food repetative over the 2 weeks we were there, we never had a problem getting a table although if you went to the buffet restautant about 8ish there seemed to be queues (the hotel was actually overbooked when we were there so this may be bettter at quieter times) the only dissapointment I had was lack of fruit, always just 2 types of melon and these didnt have much flavour and sometimes bananas, the puddings however were delicious. We tried to Italian A La Carte, the Japanese and the Garden Grill which were nice, not the best A La Cartes Ive ever been to and the service was very slow but made a change from the main buffett. You need to book the A La Cartes in the 1st day or 2 you are there as they get very booked up.

Pool was really large freeform cleaned every morning, the pool area is in 2 sections, the 1st part closest to the hotel reception has the loungers with matresses and believe it or not some people genuinely did go at 4.30 in the morning to reserve them, I hate doing this as there is always disputes but if you didnt get up early to reserve your beds as this was what everyone else was doing then you didnt get a bed, we saw a couple of close arguements that nearly came to blows over sunloungers - crazy. The other part of the pool has plastic sunloungers which arent as comfortable and they didnt open the swim up pool bar for this pool hence why everyone wanted to be in the other section of the pool. There was more than enough sunbeds around the pool for everyone but only half were the wooden type with mattresses, if the hotel made all the beds the same there wouldnt be the problem of people reserving beds.

Beach - we enjoyed a walk along it every morning, there was always plenty of sunloungers here and the sea was lovely and shallow - be warned though I got stung when I was paddling by what I think was a jellyfish. We didnt spend any time on the beach so cant say about the bar but we did have lunch one day at the snack bar, I didnt think it was particularly great for a snack bar with very limited choice but the jerk centre was meant to be really nice although did have very long queues.

Entertainment - same as anywhere really not much in the day the usual water aerobics, water volleyball, bingo at 3 everyday!! the music played by the pool was very dated ie 1990's we didnt bother with the evening entertainment as it didnt start til 10pm which I thought was quite late but we enjoyed the pianist in the terrace bar every evening and they had a live band here once a week who were really good, I think the hotel should have had the live band or similar in the terrace bar more often as something to enjoy in the evenings.

Staff - mostly came across as rude and service wasnt great with the exception of a few including the buffet restaurant manager, there was one receptionist who was really unhelpful its a shame as it could make a real difference to the overall feeling of the hotel, didnt let this bother us though.

Hotel facilites - gym looked quiet good, went with the intention of using it only ended up having a look!! Hotel had a shopping complex close to the beach above the childrens club, we didnt go out anywhere shopping so cant compare prices but picked up the presents we wanted at a resonable price although all the shops seem to sell the same things. Internet was expensive 49cents us per min and was quite slow so was easy to run up an high bill quite quickly.

Some people report its very windy, it was but it was still warm and made the sun more bearable.

There is nothing immediatly outside the hotel we went to Dunns River and Bob Marleys house as the excursions were quite expensive although swimming with the dolphins was the cheapest Ive ever seen.

We had a very relaxing 2 weeks which is what the hotel is ideal for there are some elements that could be improved upon but I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank andrewsabroad
Comox, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2009

Our first trip to Jamaica and a last minute deal found us here! Advertised a little higher in 'ratings' that I would give it, it is an excellent, affordable three star property. The facilities look 5-star in size and magnitude, and its all inclusive, but the hours of operation for restaurants are limited, you have to 'get your own drink' at the bar (no service at the poolside) etc. But thats okay because we were on holidays and having to walk to get your drink could be considered exercise! HAHA

Great sport facilities that are included so if you like to kayak, ride a catamaran, snorkel, play beach volleyball or pool sports it is great. The indoor gym has excellent equipment and their spa was wonderful.

The food was tasty, the fruit all local, the coffee exquisite, but the tours off the site where we ate at local restaurants was the best, especially the Jerk Chicken!. The tour companies they work with are fantastic so make sure you leave the resort and see the incredible countryside. The people are so friendly, so proud, and so engaging. Bob Marley is of course a highlight but really quite overpriced. The coffee planatation is fantastic if you love to do authentic things, the safari was an absolute must and ATV/ziplining is a great family day out. The shows are the resort were the most disappointing, lower quality than grade 12 year-end theatre, so don't rush dinner to get there.

For families -- young ones, I would say no unless you just want to sit at the pool, teens it was great, and for couple who want privacy it would be fine.

Very safe, and strange, but the men are way more friendly and talkative in this country than the women!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank DiscoverAndEnjoy
Toronto Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2009

The resort is beautiful and very clean, but the service is very poor. Most of the staff were rude and not accommodating what's so ever. The staff would be out in the hallways arguing with each other at eight o'clock in the morning and would not give a [--] if they would wake the quests up.

There were no fresh fruits to be found at any of the buffets or restaurants, the bars were all stocked with cheap alcohol. Any mixed or tropical drink was full of syrup.

The food at the buffet was very poor, two out of the four restaurants were okay for dinner.

This is a Mexican owned resort with no flavour of Jamaica what's so ever.

All and all, the resort is very clean and nice. It is lacking on the service and the quality of the food. I would suggest before booking at this resort I would consider looking at other options.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank SunChaser35
Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2009

This was a really nice hotel, I couldn't have asked for more. The staff was very friendly, the beach was clean and nice. Rooms were cleaned daily and plenty of activities, you don't even need to leave the resort. I would definitely reccommend! The swimming pool was about a mile long so plenty of room for everyone. Plenty of chairs available on the beach!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#17 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,295 reviews

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!