“We love JAMAICA”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Hull, uk
“We love JAMAICA”
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

We returned to the gran bahia for 2 weeks this april for our wedding with 7 guests. After first visiting this hotel 4 years ago we knew it was the perfect location for our wedding.

There is simply nothing to be faulted when it comes to this hotel. Amazing setting, with beautiful surroundings and gardens, fantastic food with plenty of choice, fantastic choice of cocktails and drinks, anything you asked for they would make, truly wonderful people so easy to get on with full of life. Service was very attentive throughout our stay.

And as for the wedding itself one word "Perfect", a true paradise location to become man and wife, beautiful photography and video to remember our special occasion forever.

The weather was perfect sun! sun! sun!

We all made a true friend whilst staying at the gran bahia, big up to our main man "Ainsley" of the entertainment staff, he even went out on his day off to buy us some sky lanterns as a surprise for our wedding. Meeting him made our holiday and wedding extra special.

Don't believe the bad reviews about the gran bahia, some people just have to complain about the silliest things.

Exceptional place to visit, the new Mr & Mrs Walker!!!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
10 Thank Shaunie W
Customer Servic... B, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear guest,

In the name of our General Manager and all Staff members thank you so much for your kind comments and of course we are at your disposal any time for any further assistance in your third visit to our Resort. We hope see you soon.

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,139)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed May 2, 2014

This was my first experience at a Spanish Hotel and i expected the wow factor but was greeted by employees who obviously lack training. The Ambiance was great but the room was musky and bathroom needed proper plumbing. Employees at the snack bar were not receptive and their expressions were that of disgruntled staff .I was appalled to see cats in the dining area and when i thought things could not get any worst a guest whom was obviously drunk vomited at my feet.
The pool was warm and lovely i guess that was the best part of my stay. I would advice management to do extensive training with staff and extend the time period for which the snack bar is accessible.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Kimberley C
Customer Servic... B, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear guest,

We really regret that we were unable to reach your expectations during your vacation with us. Please note that all your concerns has been taken into consideration and addressed to our department's Heads to ensure the level of quality expected from our guests.

Thank you for your recommendations and suggestion to our operation and we hope these events do not tarnish your perception of our Resort and you could give us the opportunity to host you in the near future.

Yours faithfully,

Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We recently returned from our first trip to Jamaica on a 4 night stay at the GBP and every part of our stay was exceptional. The service is outstanding and every staff person we encountered was so kind to us. The hotel is beautiful, and yes it is huge. Our room was 23501, which overlooked the Don Pablo section of the pool. It had a great view and was well maintained.

I had read some of the reviews on TripAdvisor prior to departing and was starting to worry that maybe we had made a bad choice. I honestly have no idea what they were talking about. Housekeeping brought us fresh beach towels, but we also had no problem getting them from the towel hut. Housekeeping also restocked our mini bar daily with extras based on what we had been drinking the most. We never had a problem finding lounge chairs at either the beach or the pool and never had any trouble getting service at the bars. We did tip everyone which may have made a difference in our service.

We ate at Mikado and Don Pablo. Mikado was very good and Don Pablo was exceptional. We also ate at the Palmyra buffet which was very nice and not at all crowded like the Orchid buffet. We ate every lunch at Piscis beach restaurant and the jerk chicken was great. Yes it is very hot-just don't eat the skin or sauce if you don't like spicy. We also had room service one night. The room service menu is limited but it was fine.

We chose this resort for the beach snorkeling and we were not disappointed. The snorkel beach was overflowing with fish and creatures. Yes, it is rocky and water shoes or flippers are necessary. There are lots of urchins so those are a good idea anyway. The water at the snorkel beach is only about 7-8' at it's deepest spots so you are very close to the fish. The swimming beach was fine-we didn't spend much time there as we were interested in snorkeling. It had a ton of lounge chairs and it's own beach bar.

Overall I highly recommend this resort and we will definitely go back. There are a few little things that keep it from truly being a 5 star like paid wireless/paid safe, but for the price we paid, this hotel and the level of service was an incredible bargain.

Also, I have to mention our driver, Andrew Moodie, who transported us to/from the airport. He was awesome. Truly a great guide to the island and the perfect welcome to Jamaica. I reserved him through moodietransportation@gmail.com

3 Thank Tara P
Dear guest,

It is a pleasure for us to know that you were satisfy with our service and performance.Certainly your satisfaction is our best award.

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know and sharing your experience with our reviewers in Trip Advisor and we hope to see you very soon in our Resort.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have been to a dozen all-inclusive resorts in this price tier and maybe our expectations were too high. We both agreed that the resort is beautiful, not too big, not too small, and has a fair amount of positives. It's the negatives that kept this resort from being great.

Good things:
-one of the beaches is beautiful with calm, clear, warm ocean water. The actual sand is mediocre, not good for anything but sun-bathing, but the ocean experience is one of the best. (Note: the other beach, closer to the pool is essentially useless. Rocky, small, kinda out of place)
-the food is very good! Above average for sure. The buffet gets monotonous after awhile. They could do a much better job keeping it stocked too. No potatoes at breakfast all week?!
-the pool is BIG and clean. Many different areas (both loud for partying, and quiet for relaxing!). Two swim up bars is nice too!!
-the staff are mostly friendly. Not overly engaging, but happy and provide good service!
-Beach snack bar convenient and tasty. Great atmosphere.
-junior suite rooms are nice!

The negatives:
-air conditioning in the restaurants is poor. Makes meals significantly less enjoyable. Pains me to say this, but 80 degrees and humid in pants, dresses, and dress shirts is not very comfortable.
-good and bad about beach, see above. Depends what you want.
-having to make reservations in advance for ala cartes is just bothersome compared to other resorts. Only 3 nights of 7 is also rather restrictive. They are generally very good quality though!
-housekeeping rude at times. As I type this, bursts loudly into room while my wife is napping. I know this is an isolated event, but demonstrates the hit or miss nature of the service here. Poorly stocked refrigerator, having to call and ask specifically for water and beer replenishment.
-elevators are slow, but whatever. More annoying is the staff using the elevators and making us wait even longer when their staff elevator is right down the hall. Again, very strange.
-don't bother calling ahead to request room locations. I called and they nicely took my request for a room with ocean view and higher floor to avoid mosquitos. It was as if they gave us the exact opposite, closest room overlooking lobby and low floor. Hmmm? Not a huge deal, just not a very good start.

Final comments:
We enjoyed our vacation! We would not book this resort again because we've stayed at better resorts for the same price. We love Jamaica and the people/culture are fabulous. If this resort beefed up it's air conditioning, improved staff service level/attentiveness, and improved the ala carte restaurant experience, it could then be a 4-5 star resort! If you booked, don't worry though, you'll love it!

Stayed May 2014
4 Thank mab45
Customer Servic... B, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your time to post your review on Trip Advisor and we really appreciate your recommendations and suggestions made to our operation.
We sincerely hope that you could give us an opportunity to host you once again in your next trip to this beautiful island, here in Jamaica.

Yours respectfully,

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Departed April 18 and returned April 25. Air Transat vacation package that I booked online through redtag.ca.

The resort is well kept and clean, rooms are nice. Our air conditioning in the room was very cold. There is no air conditioning in any of the restaurants, or the building at all, only in the guest rooms.

We were in room 13715, top floor, with a balcony view overlooking the pool area just outside of the main lobby. We upgraded to Golden Club, which did not include much extras - better room I guess, and 4 a la carte dinners (3 a la cartes are normally included). I never made it to the a la carte dinners because they are all prebooked for you on arrival, and some reservations were as late as 9:45 p.m. - who eats dinner at 9:45 p.m.?!

Although the resort and room was nice, I was disappointed with several aspects.

We booked a trip to the Chukka catamaran, after an Air Transat rep advertised it (at which time another vacationer asked how long of a shuttle ride it was to the boat, and we were told it was only 30 minutes away). Not the case - our transportation to the boat included SEVERAL stops at multiple hotels to pick up other passengers. The trip seemed to be a good value ($103/person) when I booked it, as it was from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Too bad that 1-1/2 hours was wasted on travel time on the way there and 1+ 15 mins on the way back.

There was no communication regarding the time that the shuttle would pick us up to take us home on the day of departure. Good thing I went down to the tourism desk to ask about the time. Had I not inquired about my pick up time, I seriously doubt that it would have been provided to me otherwise. Also, another very important piece of information that was omitted at that time, was that I needed a departure ticket to board the shuttle to the airport. I did not find this out until I went to get on the shuttle and was turned away by the driver and told to go back to the front desk to get a ticket. I was standing there waiting for the bus for 30 mins doing nothing, so I would have had ample time to obtain said ticket had I been informed previously. I told the driver I would be back, but I now did not have time to check out and get my ticket fast enough so the BUS LEFT WITHOUT US. I then had to pay $100 USD (+$20 USD for tip) for a TAXI to the airport on top of my already pricey all-inclusive vacation. Which actually wasn’t worth it in my opinion, because the bars are only open from 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. The mini-bar has 2 Carib beers (disgusting - Red Stripe is much better), no liquor, some pop and water, banana chips and a chocolate bar. They will serve wine at the buffet and restaurants, but not much else even if you request it. And as mentioned before, the a la cartes were very inconvenient and the buffet hours were odd and inconvenient as well (Breakfast 7 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.; Lunch 1:30 - 3 p.m. and Dinner 6:30 p.m. - ?) Lunch starting at 1:30 p.m. is too late (why not noon?) and Dinner starting at 6:30 p.m. (why not 5 p.m.?!).

The pool doesn't open til 8 a.m. and closes at 7 p.m. which is just too early in my opinion - along those same lines, if the pool is open til 7 p.m. then why do the pool bars close at 5:30 p.m.?! People are literally awake and fighting for pool side lounge chairs at 5 a.m. By the time the pool opens at 8 a.m. there are no chairs left.

We were on the 7th floor, so we used the elevator until 1 day when almost at the top floor, the elevator dropped a full foot during its ascent. For obvious safety reasons we used the stairs for the remainder of our stay. Another guest told us that the elevator actually got stuck and he had to pull the doors open and climb out. This was another elevator in the building within a couple days of our incident.

The Privilege group sales reps are EVERYWHERE and very ANNOYING! Avoid them! Do not let them lure you in with their "welcome breakfast".

Beds were very comfortable, slept like a baby. Pool and beach are nice and clean. Bring lots of sunscreen with the highet SPF you can find. We burned again and again using SPF 50 that we reapplied religiously. And bring lots, because sunscreen (and anything else for that matter) is waay overpriced at the gift shops. If you like to drink, I would definitely suggset hitting up the duty-free for alcohol at the airport before coming.

Basically there is nothing to do after 7 p.m. when the pool and bars are closed. Disco is open from 11 p.m. - 2 a.m. but other guests that went to check it out mentioned that they began hurrying people out the door at 12:30 a.m.

Beautiful resort, great weather, but wouldn't go back because of the inconvenience factor all around.

1 Thank Miss8888
Dear guest,

We are sincerely very concerned to learn that we did not reach your expectations and for that reason we would like also to inform that we have sent already your comments to our Department Heads .Please note that your feedback is very important for us . We have very clear that our guests are the most important, as well as their comments.

On behalf of our General Manager and all our staff Members, thank you so much for your time to send to us your opinion and we hope you could give us another chance to host you once again in the near future.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed May 2, 2014

The resort was very nice, the view was wonderful and the beach was awesome! The other reviews saying the beach is rocky are kind of off. The first part of the beach is smooth as can be, if you keep going down the beach though it is very rocky. I suggest staying on the one side. The food was ok, I was tired of it by my 3rd day though. And the restaurants were really hot, we had to leave one because it was miserable there was no air flow what so ever. The snack bar had the best food and the jerk chicken was awesome. Some of the staff were very friendly and others were not, just like at any hotel. Gerrick at the beach bar was so much fun! He fixed us something new everyday. I have no clue what we were drinking, but it was good. Overall good stay, it is a long ride from the airport though.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest,

Thank you for letting us know your experience during your stay with us. we are glad to learn that we reach your expectations especially with our beach and jerk center.

Of course, we appreciate that you have pointed us out some aspects where we must to improve and we would like to inform you that we are working on it.

Looking forward to hosting you again,

Yours faithfully,

Brechin, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We paid for the highest upgrade on our holiday, March 31st to April 7th 2014. When we arrived we were invited to change into pool clothes and wait by the pool until our room was ready. We l had to leave our luggage in a lounge for two hours, and carry our personal items such as $$$ and passports.
This resort definitely did not meet five star standard.
The rooms were clearly not inspected prior to our arrival. We needed to have maintenance provide a lock for our patio door, repair the clock and waited two days to have it done. There were excuses and verbal apologies but it did not improve things. While waiting for work to be done, we missed a dinner reservation and got attitude from the restaurant staff. Our shower drain grate was broken and never repaired. Our room was well cleaned each day, but not on the day the regular maid was not there......
The ocean view consisted of a concrete yard, plastic fencing and a stone trail in the bush with the ocean to the side.
The food in the restaurants was ok. Jerk chicken was good. Most of the staff was friendly, but run off their feet.
We enjoyed the poolside only after rushing for a lounge each morning in order to get one at all. We also witnessed security intervening in disagreements with other clients about lounge reserving. The beach was nice.
I am a repeat guest of Bahia, having previously enjoyed the resort in in Punta Cana.
No, I do not recommend Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica for a relaxing five star holiday.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank A M H
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your opinion with us.

It is indeed with great regret that we have learnt that your were not pleased with our performance and we really sorry for any problem you might have passed through. , please rest assured that your comments are being taking serious and have been forwarded to the relevant department’s heads in order to improve our level of satisfaction.

Our main goal strives in having a great ambiance to satisfy our guest’s requirements .

Best regards,

Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!