We just returned from a weeks stay Feb 26-Mar 5/14 in a Royal Golden suite travelling with Transat Holidays. The trip from the airport was 70 minutes. This hotel is LARGE but not unmanageable to find everything if you are able to get around. It is wheelchair accessible, however this might involve going around the extremely large pool or searching for elevators which there are many. As a travel agent we travel a fair bit and I would rate this property a 4-4.5 star.
It is very clean, with wonderful staff and good food. Everyone works very hard here.
There are different room categories.
Junior Suite is on the lower floors which includes 3 a la carte dinners.
Royal Golden (RG) Junior Suite is on the upper 2 floors which includes 4 a la carte dinners.
Don Pablo (Luxury) Suites are located in a designated building which has been renovated and this category also give you access to it's own pool or beach area, with upgraded chairs. This also includes unlimited a la carte dinners.
These last two categories also give you access to their own lounges. Speaking for the RG, there were 4 computers with internet access included as well as a bar there, this had Caribe beer in a can which you also get in the minibar, however it is draft beer in a cup everywhere else on the resort. Majority of people were using their own thermal mugs.
There is also the Privilege Club with it's own designated areas with sales people located in the lobby and throughout specific areas at the resort. This is a time share program of some sort and just saying "no thank you" puts a stop to them approaching right away.
We were on the 4th Floor in building 17, #17416. It had a beautiful view of the pool & ocean. The suite was very large with 2 double canopy beds and 1 twin as well. The bathroom had both a tub & shower and was also fairly large. The terrace/balcony is very large. We had a coffee maker and minibar which was stocked daily and also a safe which we had to put a $50.00 fully refundable deposit down to receive the key. If you book just a junior suite you have to put the $50.00 deposit down and it costs $6.00/day for the safe when you check out. We also received robes & slippers. A couple of the lights didn't work when we arrived but maintenance came and it was fixed right away.
The Orchid main restaurant is a very large buffet with many choices. We also found a smaller one at the Palmyra around the corner although it was only permitting Don Pablo guests at lunch & dinner.
I would recommend booking your dinners as soon as you can after you arrive. Two of our dinners were prebooked (Transat must have made this arrangement) but we were able to change the night & time. We ate at The Grill (fantastic), The Don Pablo Gourmet (fantastic), The Mikado Tepanaki where they cook in front of you (fantastic) as well as The Dolce Vita Italian which was our least favorite, although it was still good.
We loved the Jerk Chicken right next to the Beach Snack bar for lunch - it was really good!
The beach is expansive and for the most part the water was fairly calm except for 1 day, but it was still safe to swim. The pool is gorgeous. As with most resorts towels are placed on the chairs early if you want to sit somewhere specific although there seemed to be plenty of chairs at both the pool & the beach.
The Pueblo Principe is the shopping area and this is also the theatre at night. We only saw one show there. We preferred the live music which was on the Terrace every night. It was a lovely area to sit just off the lobby. There were 2 different singers that we saw and they were very talented! There is also 1 hour of free wi-fi per day per device located just inside off the Terrace.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 lake-style connecting pools with 2 areas for children 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace with gardens, sun umbrellas and loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 2 tennis courts, volleyball court, football pitch Water activity centre Pool and beach towel service WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo 2 buffet-style main restaurants and 5 speciality restaurants 4 Bars Snack bar Entertainment amphitheatre Meeting and convention room The 18 hole Breezes Runaway golf course is just 5 minutes from the hotel. Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, sports bar and disco Rooms 848 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Sea View Junior Suite, Club Golden and Club Hacienda Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Pillowtop mattresses Fully-equipped bathroom with separate shower and hydromassage bath tub, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ventilador de techo Sitting area with sofa Balcony or terrace Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children (aged 4 to 12) will have the time of their lives with these facilities: Children's pool Special shows and activities Entertainment team Mini Club (4 - 12 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Nudist area on the beach Bahia 'au Naturel' (over 18s only) The hotel has a nudist bathing area apart from the other areas ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BP USA TRAVEL INC, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Hotel
- Grand Bahia Jamaica
- Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Runaway Bay