“Don Pablo Collection”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Conception Bay South, Canada
“Don Pablo Collection”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We had an Ocean View 7th Floor and loved it! Stay away from the Italian Rest, it was terrible I'm not the first to say that either. as for the rest of the resort,I would not hesitate going back there again, especially the Don Pablo Collection. Loved all the staff. Thanks

Room Tip: Stay away from the Italian Rest, it was terrible I'm not the first to say that either.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gwen M
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your note about your recently stay in our Hotel. We are glad to know that you have had a good time with us.
Thank you for vacationing with us and for your words of praise toward our staff. We will make sure to let them know about your compliments.
Thank you for your collaboration and we hope to serve you again in our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, your best Hotel in the Caribbean.

Yours faithfully,

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,163)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2014

It didn't ruin our vacation...but we had issues with this resort.

1. no facecloths in our room. We had to call the front desk everyday for facecloths. Tipping the maid and leaving a note requesting them seemed to work for a few days, but then they just took the money and didn't leave the facecloths.
2. The beach...not a good beach. The man made section is very hard, like concrete. The other section has a breakwater wall built , which is in dire need of repair and the beach sand has washed away behind the wall. Just not comparable to other beaches.
3. We had no hot water in our room for 4 days. Cold showers with very low water pressure is not what I paid for. I dont think it s too much to expect a hot , or at least a warm shower everyday. Our friends also had the same hot water issue plus their toilet didnt work for the same 4 days.
4.The Disco....it stinks! Very strong smell of sewer. Horrible. You can even smell it sitting outside when the door opens. Very dirty in there, the floor was always sticky, never cleaned.
5. Entertainment was mediocre at best. Just not up to par with other resorts.
6.Once the shows were over at 11 pm, there was basically no service outside for dinks. Unless you happened to catch someone walking by, you had to go into the sewer smelling Disco and get your own drinks. And they didn't seem too pleased to have to get them for you when you did ask. Tipping well on the first few orders didnt help at all.
7. Bugs! The bugs at the pool were unreal. We had numerous bug bits which swelled up and were very itchy...even several days after we arrived home. Nasty looking bites. I also received a wasp bite on my knee which still bothers me two weeks later.
8. Our freinds had their passports stolen from their room. Who do you think stole them???
9. The pool..very nice. Best pool I've seen yet!
10. The food...no issues with the food except we ate at the buffet everynight because we couldnt get any early settings at the A La Cartes. 9 pm too late to eat for us.
11. Hope your stay is better than ours. Enjoy! :)

Room Tip: if you are early to bed people you may want to avoid rooms close to the main lobby as the people on...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ray w
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear Ray,

There is nothing more important to us, than to meet our guest’s expectations. That is why we thank you for kindly sharing your review and let us know about your discomfort during your recently vacation at our Resort. We would like to express our gratitude for the highlighted aspects you have really enjoyed, while taking note of all your recommendations that we ensure will be appropriately communicated to our Management, to have them completely avoided in the future.

Thank you for vacationing with us .It was our pleasure to host you and we hope to have the opportunity to host again in the near future to regain your trust in us.

Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We are in the home stretch of our vacation here at the Grand Bahia Principe in Jamaica. I feel compelled to write about our experience this past week.
The facilities are beautiful, the staff is very courteous and engaging. However, I feel very badly for them. This week has been nothing short of a disappointment in terms of experience; and if it weren't for the beautiful setting and personnel, we would not still be here on this 7th day of our vacation. The workers here have been overworked this week and it shows.

I found out yesterday that the hotel has been overbooked this week; they are offering current guests a transfer and stay at the Riu in Montego Bay with a paid for excursion. This explains what I am about to describe below. I still do not understand why a hotel can book its rooms for more guests than it can accommodate, and have its paying customers suffer from poor service and a lessened experience. We work hard for our money and have limited time with our families as a result. Vacations are important and I feel that we have been taken advantage of.

When we arrived with our two young girls (7 and 4 years of age) on Friday, February the 28th 2014, we were assigned to a room directly facing the discotheque. Needless to say that our two first nights were not restful at all. Our kids had trouble sleeping until about 2AM; their bedtime was 9PM. As a result, they were tired the following two days and irritable. Also, this room had no towels and the shower and sink drains were clogged. My spouse enjoyed a foot bath in the walk-in shower.
Complaint #1 to the front desk: Why are families with young children assigned to rooms facing the discotheque?
Answer: Rooms are booked based on availability.

In my opinion, disco rooms should NOT be available to young families. I conveyed this opinion to the supervisor.
If rooms are booked based on availability and you have more guests than you have rooms, how can this work?

I requested a new room after the first night and was told that the hotel was booked at 98% capacity and that it might be difficult to switch us. We enjoyed another night of noise until 2AM.
On the third day we were informed that we were changing rooms but could not be told which room it would be (this is hotel policy because the new room is currently occupied). Our luggage had to be packed by 11AM or we would not be given a new room. We would only be told at 3PM that day which was our new room. And so that morning, while my daughters and spouse were at the pool, I spent over an hour packing up our room and taking 8 pieces of luggage back to the lobby for it to be stored for the day until our new room was assigned. No help from the hotel with this by the way. Instead, my spouse left the kids with friends and came to help.
Complaint #2 to the front desk: Can anything be done about the wasted time and effort; complimentary Internet access perhaps? Also, I am paying for the room safe every day; will I have to pay for the day that I move rooms since I have no choice but to keep all of my valuables on me?
Answer: We will send up a "special attention" package to your room. Safes are charged per night.

The safe may be charged per night, but I am in the room at night; I need the safe during the day. If I cannot make use of my safe for an entire day, I should not be charged for that day.
We received our special attention package two days later. It consisted of a plate with 8 uncut fruit and a 200mL bottle of Appleton Jamaica rum. There is a full buffet only steps away serving these fruit, prepared each day. And the rum is free-flowing at the bars. My spouse doesn't drink currently although I think I might open the bottle soon as I write this.

Speaking of the buffet and restaurants, we attempted to schedule our à la carte restaurants the day after we arrived and they were all booked except for a few that had availability at late evening hours. Not the best dinner time for children under 8. We worked around this by showing up the night of and asking if they had reservation cancellations. This worked for us once.

The buffet was overcrowded every day with long lineups and items missing and not being replenished fast enough.
Service was under par a couple of days. For example we waited 30 minutes after sitting down to get water and coffee one morning. I ordered from three different waiters and ended up walking over to the Maitre D' to get our beverages.

Some more random thoughts:
On arrival, Air Transat left us at the airport. We had to find another operator to take us to the hotel.
We had to keep our pool towels every day because they ran out within the first hour after the pool staff started their day.
Our second room had no blankets and not enough towels.
Our friends paid for the "Golden Upgrade" which guaranteed them an ocean view room. They were given a room facing the opposite side.
Chocolate bars at the convenience shop are $2.50 and chips are $8.50 a bag.

Finally, be very mindful of what you pay for and what to expect from this establishment. It is an absolutely stunning resort and the people are delightful. However we have travelled to 5-star resorts in the past and I would not rate this one in the same category simply because of the lack of attention paid to their guests. Overbooking is unacceptable given the amount of money we paid for our stay. We will not be coming back to a Grand Bahia Principe for this reason.

Room Tip: Make sure that you are not assigned a room facing the Pueblo Principe. This is where the discothequ...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank Phil S
Dear Phil,

Thank you for letting us know about your concern. From the bottom of our heart, we can assure you that we are very saddened to learn that you are unsatisfied and deeply regret that due to an overbooking at our Hotel you felt that has damaged the quality of our services as well as your room change, please, accept our most sincerest apologies.
On the other hand, please, let me clarify that the transfers from our guests to the RIU hotel in Montego Bay is voluntary along with a paid trip to Negril, one of the best tourist attractions on the island.
We would like to thank you for your review, and for vacationing with us. Your suggestion and recommendation will be taking into consideration, at the same time we hope that this issue does not tarnish your perception about our Hotel and you will give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Yours respectfully,

New Brunswick
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Nice smaller resort. Everything is within short walking distance ( shopping, beach, restaurants & pool) service was excellent and food was amazing. I did only rate it 4 star as the ones trying to sell time shares where very pushy & persistent to try to get you to come to breakfast for your free gift but everything else was excellent.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking a moment of your time to review your vacations at our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica and let us know that you enjoyed with us. On the other hand, it is always concerning when guests express dissatisfaction over the approach of our promotions team, your feedback allows us to detect areas of improvement and provides us with an opportunity to review measures that help our promotions strategy. We will be sure to share this feedback with the Promotions Director for internal review and to prevent making any customers from feeling uncomfortable.

Thank you again for your feedback. It was a pleasure to host you and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Big hotel. Rooms clean, comfortably appointed. Family oriented hotel. Lots of kids that can make for a noisy hall outside your door. Buffet is good, not fantastic. Pleanty of variety. Meat is generally tough, lobster night is good, decaf coffee is Sanka. A la carte restaurants- Japanese was awful, the Grill was mediocre. I would stay away from both of these. Don Pablo, the French restaurant (I always thought Don Pablo was Spanish) was very good. Save all of your a la carte nights for this one. The entertainment was rudimentary and amateurish, except for Michael Jackson night. It was wlll worth attending that night.
The beach was a little small, but we knew that before going. Snorkellling was not as great as I was led to believe from other Trip Advisor reviewers.
Staff always happy however I always felt like they were being nice because they were expecting a tip. Although it was an all inclusive I felt like I always had to have a wad of one and two dollar bills for tipping.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RoadWeary2011
Dear Guest,

We are happy to learn that you have enjoyed the variety of our cuisine our lobster night at the Orchid buffet and especially our Don Pablo restaurant.On the other hand, we sincerely regret that you got the impression that our staffs were waiting a tip when ever they provided you a service, this is not the case, but we will make every effort to ensure that no other guest leaves with that negative opinion of our staff.

Thank you for your remarks. Your comments will be taken into consideration to improve the service we strive for at our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica where we hope to see you again during your next vacation.

Yours respectfully,

Vaughan, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Just got back from Jamaica, we booked our stay at the Gran Bahia, I don't really have any strong negatives. The resort was beautiful, the rooms were nice, but are in need of TLC. The food was good, lots of options, we tried the al la carte, The Grill was good, The Japanese was excellent, the italian I personally didn't like. The beach out front is rocky so we went further along and the beach was good, never an issue with getting a chair, clean bathroom near by and plenty of bars. The jerk chicken was as good as they say. Didn't spend any time at the pool so cannot comment. The entertainment was the only disappointment, very amateur compared to other resorts. We had an issue with our first room and we were moved the next day with no problem. The hotel was looking for volunteers to move because they were overbooked for the coming days, so we volunteered to move to the Riu Montego Bay with a free excursion to Negril. I will post my review on the Riu separately. Overall a nice resort, it is a very large property so be prepared to walk.

Room Tip: Ask to be in Bldg G good location.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank luv_2_travel_0169
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate to learn that you have found our property beautiful and have enjoyed our beach, delicious Jerk Chicken, and our food at the Grill and Japanese restaurant. We also noted your observation about our entertainment, which have already discussed with our team.

Thank you for your feedback. It was our pleasure to host you, and we hope to host you again in the near future.

Yours faithfully,

Ontario, Canda
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Firstly I would like to say the vacation is what you bring to it. Bring your positive attitude and laid back approach and that will be a good start.
This place is beautiful. Jamaica is friendly, happy and a beautiful country filled with hard working people. We loved our room, which was large, clean and a fantastic view from the fifth floor. There were some problems, the safe didn't work, so we used my sisters the bath was broken I told them and it was fixed. It was central to the buffet and pool, and not too far from the beach.
The food was great. The buffet was interesting every day and always lots of variety and the food was delious. My favorite a la carte by far was Don Pablo, it was fantastic. The staff and the food there were outstanding. Did not care for the Italian.
The pool is amazing, it wrapped around the front of the building and is incredibly clean. So many fun games and exercises from the entertainment staff.
The beach was good, seen better but the water was clear, clean and gorgeous. Lots of chairs at both the beach and the pool.
My only complaint was they didn't serve to the chairs in either area, and no snacks or food in that one areas either.
The beach restaurant was fAntastic, had jerk chicken every day.
There were thirteen of us including three young kids we always found somewhere to sit.
The entertainment staff are outstanding they work all day at the pool then do the evening shows as well. They are multitalented, friendly people.
The place is full of Canadians, easy going looking to relax and have fun.
The staff are great, they are proud of their country and want us to love it as much as they do. We tipped and were treated well no matter how much we gave.

Room Tip: Stay on one of the higher floors for a view but really they are all nice, let's face it we are n...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank scooternf
Dear Guest,

Our Guest opinion is very important to us in our daily effort to provide our guests with the best vacation experience.Today we are delighted to know that we were able to achieved our Goal providing you with an amazing vacation in our Hotel.

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments and we hope to have the honor to host you again in our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, a wonderful experience in the Caribbean.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Melia Braco Village
Melia Braco Village
#1 of 1 in Rio Bueno

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!