“Good Experience Overall”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My sweetheart and I stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe the week of November 1-8. After reading some of the reviews on this site I wasn’t sure what we’d find, so we adjusted our expectations accordingly. I was pleasantly surprised and overall we had a good experience.

First of all, I promised a big shout-out to Lance with Jamaica Tours Ltd., who met us shortly after we got off the plane and made sure we found our way to our bus transport. Also the JTL folks at the hotel, Valgene and Charmaine, were super in helping us book our excursions. Thank you all!

Once we boarded the bus which would take us to our hotel, we immediately realized we were on “island time.” This was no big deal to us because we were on vacation, and it is more productive for the bus drivers to transport a bus with more people versus less. We only waited for maybe 30 minutes before we were on the way to the hotel.

Check-in at the hotel went smoothly. The front desk folks were pleasant and efficient, and we were shown to our room right away. Our experiences with the staff were all very positive. I got the feeling they were trying to be unobtrusive (not aloof or uncaring). I made a point of making eye contact, saying hello and using their names when I encountered anyone, and when I did this everyone was very nice and made sure we were happy. Perhaps it’s the Texan in me, but “please” and “thank you” seem to go a long way. Even though this is an all-inclusive resort, we chose to tip on occasion because the average Jamaican worker only earns about $200 a week (USD).

Our room was ready when we arrived, and we found it clean and in very good condition. Our room was cleaned daily and the “towel art” was a nice touch. We did get clean towels daily, although sometimes not first thing in the morning which was fine with us. We didn’t go to Jamaica to sit in the room until the towel person arrived! (We also had no problems getting towels from the towel shack by the pool, by the way.) What I’d read in the reviews about no washcloths proved to be true – I got the impression this is not an article the Jamaicans use the say way as Americans. Again, no big deal as in preparation for our trip I’d packed our own bundle of cheap washcloths I’d picked up at the discount store before we’d left home.

Perhaps in response to others’ reviews, the timeshare people are confined to a relatively small corner past the front desk. They did speak to us when we would walk by, but a simple “No, thank you” did the trick. No one was pushy or obnoxious. At no time in the hotel, by the pool or on the beach did anyone approach us trying to sell stuff either.

We ate at the buffet daily. The food was very good, a different theme each day, great selection. I overheard a couple people complain it was not hot enough for them – but I also heard others say it was too hot, proving once again you can’t please 100% of the people 100% of the time. For us it was just right, neither cold nor scalding.

We also enjoyed the jerk chicken at the Beach Hut, which is quite a walk away from the main part of the hotel but definitely worth it. Also I’d encourage anyone to try the local Red Stripe beer, the Jamaican rum piña coladas … and of course the Jamaican coffee, which was heavenly!

The only other restaurant we enjoyed while on property was the Garden Grille. The food and service were excellent. There does however seem to be a bit of a disconnect between the folks in the lobby who make the dinner reservations and the folks at the actual restaurants themselves. We were told at check-in to book our reservations immediately because they try to schedule around weddings and other events, and sometimes the restaurants are full. When we went to make our reservations however we were initially told everything was already all booked up. We finally did manage to secure two reservations at the Grille. When we showed up the first time, at our reservation time of 6:00, the hostess said they didn’t open until 6:30 except for the bridal party they were hosting, which we could see took up maybe ¼ of the restaurant. Again because of the walk to get there, we sat outside and waited until 6:30 and then enjoyed our dinner. The second time we’d secured a reservation for 9:00 – which was late for us, but we were told it was the only time available. Our energy was flagging by the time we returned from that day’s excursions so we wandered over there early and, even though we could see the place was virtually empty, we were asked to wait until 9:00 (which we did, and the food was great). Both times the hostess seemed a little frustrated but we realized she was just doing as she’d been told so we did not make a big deal of it. But again, there seems to be some sort of disconnect between the reservation-makers in the hotel and what’s actually going on in the restaurant.

We visited both the pool and the beach and found both to be sparkling clean and well kept.

The other reviews are accurate in saying there is a LOT of walking at this hotel, and lots of stairs as well. It is also not particularly handicapped-accessible (but again, expectations: the ADA is an American regulation). For that reason we would not stay here again, as my sweetie is a disabled veteran who fortunately is able to walk and climb stairs, however to do so causes him much pain. And it seemed like everywhere we needed to go was quite a hike!

Just an aside here as well, as both my sweetie and I have traveled extensively: the Grand Bahia Principe is a 4- or 5-star resort – in a developing country. We were not expecting Paris or Las Vegas, and I think having realistic expectations is part of what made our stay enjoyable. Overall we were very pleased with the resort and its people.

3  Thank Gena C
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Dear Gena,

We always try to leave a wonderful experience in every heart we touch. It is good to know that apart from the comments that you have read in the web site you were able to have your own experience from our Hotel in your last vacation with us and have realized that to exceed our guest’s expectation is our main hallmark.

Thank you for vacationing with us, it was a pleasure to host you and we hope to host you again during your next trip to our Grand Bahia Principe in Jamaica the perfect Resort for families to get together in the Caribbean.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Arrived with 8 others, & 3 off our guests were already there,, so they'd asked for rooms all together, myself & husband to be,,,, we" d paid to get married here, and bought with us 11 guests,,, so, bride & groom to be ends up with the worst room out the lot of us!!!! Get a move,,,, to a room that's already taken, ( that could have been nasty ), so 3rd room given to us,,, tolerate it for now, but not good by far,,,, next day, get moved,,, to the other side of hotel, some walk !!! Why can't the hotel make some off their gorgeous rooms they do have, available to ppl getting wed there,,,?? But all in all, we had the most amazing day, 1 I'll never forget,,, our other best moments was right down the end of the beach with Miguel,,, we miss him & miss Jamaica so much,,, we can't wait to go back to Jamaica, & we"d stay again at the gran bahia without a doubt,,, & next time, I CAN over indulge, haha,,, thanku G B P, & Jamaica!!! Beautiful,,, I R I E!!!!! X

Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank caff69

Dear Guest,

First of all we hope you had a nice trip back home, and we are very grateful that you took the time to share your experience with us.

It was our pleasure to be your hosts for this special event of your life and provide our modest help to make of it an unforgettable one.

Thank you for choosing our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts in Jamaica, a place for celebrating your promise of eternal love in paradise in the Caribbean.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We had a pleasant 10 day stay at this resort

2nd night there at 01:30 my toilet decided to explode after I flushed it, after reporting it to reception they finally sent someone to my room with a mop & bucket,by then the room was flooded,by 03:30 they finally moved us to a equally bad room, I visited the reception in the morning to again get moved to a better room, only to be told by a grumpy receptionist the hotel was full,knowing this not to true I asked to see a manager,after meeting Diana we were moved to a 4th floor room which was very nice,although the original room was flooded with nasty bits floating around,this room was occupied by mid afternoon the same day,no way this could have been disinfected...

On the 2nd day I attempted to book into the Ala Carte restaurants only to told by a rude member of staff there was nothing available for our first week,I managed to book 3 for the second week,as it was my daughters 21st birthday on the 2nd day I decided to chance it & visit the Italian restaurant at 18:00 to see if they could fit us in,guess what they had a table,I also managed to get into the Spanish restaurant the same way by just turning up,they had loads of times & tables (why the grumpy member of staff lied I do not know)

The main buffet although having theme nights,is a bit of a cattle Market, breakfast especially

The entertainment at night is shocking,boring non professional dancers trying to put on a show

The beach buffet bar ie Jerk Chicken place is great,even have happy waiters juggling glasses of beer on their heads to serve you

We did 2 trips

The Bob Marley trip to nine miles is great on the Zion bus as is the trip to Black river,Ys Falls & Rum Factory

I would rate this resort as a 3.5 star

Room Tip: Try & get room on the 4th floor in block 18 very quite with good brides
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank IANLINCOX
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your opinion about your last trip in our Hotel. It is good to know that you had a pleasant experience and you have enjoyed our jerk chicken center by the beach.

On the other hand, we are satisfied to learn that you gave us the opportunity to assist you with the room issue that you experienced. Furthermore allow us to highlight that in our Resort our entertainment staffs gives their best to offer our guests from different nationalities an authentic Caribbean experience.

Kindly note that we always try to accommodate our guests’ requests, nonetheless the reservation for a la carte restaurants it is always based on the availability, sometimes our guests decide not to use their reservation without previous notice, which made us unable to cancel the reservation in our system. Please, accept or sincerest apologies.

Thank you for your collaboration and for vacationing with us; we hope to see you soon again in our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We are still on vacation and I could not wait to get back to write this review. Let me start off by saying that the standards of this hotel are not par to a 5 star hotel. we spent a lot of money to come on this vacation but it was only a big disappointment. The staff are really nice and caring but the overall management of the hotel is HORRIFIC. They are ALWAYS running out of towels, I highly suggest they purchase more towels if they seem to be running out 3-5 times during the day. there is only 1 dinning hall (with the exception of the gold star members dinning hall) and ppl are always fighting for a table. the food is nothing to rave about. One night we walked by a hall way of rooms (to get to the shopping centre) and smelled a very strong smell of sewage, obviously there was a back up but it was not taken care of for 2 days.
I was very excited to swim in the ocean only to get hurt by the rocky sharp huge rocks sticking out of the ocean. They told me this particular area is for snorkeling. Let me tell you if I was an avid snorkeler I would NEVER swim in that area. The other beach area that is supposedly “smoother” is a hike, hence, I never went. We booked a la carte only to be booked for two different restaurants we never wanted, and that could not be changed. we were planning to enjoy the jacuzzi in our bathroom but it was so dirty i didnt even bother asking them to clean it. that should already have been done.
We stayed at Grand bahai principe when we went to Mexico, Mayan Riveria and we had no complaints. But this particular one should be called a 3 star hotel. I wish I had saved some money and booked a 4 or 4.5 star, probably would have had a much better experience.
So if your booking a trip and planning on staying at this hotel, my husband and I would highly advise to book at another hotel. I hear the “Jewel” 4.5 star hotel in runaway bay just 5 minutes from us is EXCELLENT and serves excellent food as well!

5  Thank neeva_gs
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

The fulfillment of our guest’s expectation is our main objective. From the bottom of our heart we can assure you that we feel very unhappy to know that we could not have impressed you with our services since we strive daily in our performance to provide our guest an enjoyable stay.

On the other hand we are taking into account your suggestions and recommendations which will help us to be up to par of our guests satisfaction as well as to ensure that we maintain the level of service expected.

Thank you for your feedback, and we will be more than happy if you could give us the opportunity to host you again for providing you and enjoyable vacation.

Cordial greetings,

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Arrival-We dragged our own luggage to room. No bellhop available @3pm! This is check-in time, right? Reps in tour room-Nicole was never to be found and others in the room was reluctant to assist since they did not rep same company. Playing games on their cellphones was more important! Housekeeping-how does a hotel run out of towels so often? Towels was delivered 4 1/2 hrs after service. Pool-Towels at towel hut are non-exsistent! Buffet-need better variety. Same ole stuff each day. What happened to seafood night on Friday?! Beach snack bar- jerk chicken, not all that. What's al lthe rave about? At restaurants hostesses need to be a lil more flexible when one arrives for dinner 5 mins late!! Is the kitchen really affected by 5 mins?! Ice machine- None to be found! Was told to take our bucket to the closet bar. Seriously?! There should be a machine on each floor. Upon departure no bell hop! Stop looking for tips as soon as a foot touches the ground from the car. Assist with luggage. Daytime activities--what were they? DJ at towel hut (same as MC @nighlty shows) best entertainer. Alecia @ frontdesk, very welcoming & friendly. Beware of the houskeeping staff..they have sticky fingers. We returned to our room early because it was pouring out to find Mercado (maintenance guy) with his toolbox outside the room as if he's the lookout and the maid inside. Oh you better believe, I asked what's going on here and barged my way into the room .This lady took my pashmina and returned it as soon as I realized it was missing!!! I should have reported her [--] but sympathized with her! Arrrgghh! Keep your items locked up in luggage if you opt not to pay $6 per day for safe. This amenity was always included elsewhere. Property is nice except for beach...where's the sand? Do Not venture to the so called "clothing optional" section. Once you get in the water everyone in the water on the other side will see you anyways. Security on beach will take pics of you. Sneaky! A Peeping Tom if you ask me. It was worth it afterall as I had a GREAT time celebrating my birthday with the one I love.

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your impressions with us. We appreciate to learn that despite of some issues that you experienced during your vacation, you had overall a good a time with us during your birthday celebration.

On the other hand, it is with great regret that we know that our selection of meal and entertainment was underwhelming. We do our best every day to give our guests a superior service and in this regard we will work assiduously to ensure that your next visit will be met and surpass.

Thank you for vacationing with us; we hope to serve you soon again in our Bahia Principe Hotel in Jamaica

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Just came home, and it's time to reflect on our stay. traveled with 4 other couples. Lets start with the FEW negative. Air conditioning needs to be in all restaurants and must be turned way up! Very warm trying to eat a meal in Al-carte restaurants. It wasn't hot, but to warm to enjoy. No air in Garden Grill Restaurant bad move, beautiful restaurant but no AIR! Rooms need to have air conditioning increased for cooler air output. Sleeping is OK but marginal at best. All 5 couples said the same thing. Now the Positive, been more than 10 times to Jamaica, this was near or at the top. Everything has been said about the resort ,for the PRICE you pay and the things you get it is well worth you trying it out. Forget about their Transportation hire a driver, we had RILEY TOURS,Smiley was great . He picked us up at airport on time and delivered us directly to BAHIA. Any tours he would arrange it for you and stay with you all the time. The day you leave he is always on time. Prices can not be BETTER. Tell him you heard from IRISH SPRING . The only other thing that bothered my group was the long walk to beach. Closest buildings to nice beach is the Golden Club. Last but not least do upgrade to LUXURY DON PABLO. For 25 $ American. IT IS WELL WORTH IT PER PERSON PER DAY!!!. ADULTS ONLY! The negatives I couldn't find anywhere other then what I have mentioned already. Some people no matter what, you can't please. This is not a 5* resort but close enough to enjoy your vacation. If your like that stay home , if you're not you will enjoy!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. Your comments are very important to us in our daily effort s in providing our guests with a wonderful vacation; it helps us to improve on the products and services we offer to all our guests. We are happy to know that we have achieved our goal in providing you with the ultimate vacation experience. And that you have enjoyed your stay with us and you have considered our Hotel a good value for money.

Once again we would like to thank you for your positive comments and for choosing to vacation here with us at the Grande Bahia Principe Resort Jamaica, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Starting off, I would like to say I had a really good time and this is just my experience. Was there from Nov 10th-16th. Check in was quick and efficient. We prepaid for the Gold Club and were sent over there after receiving our room keys. Gold club has 4 computers which we were entitled to internet for half hr a day. Small bar is the corner to make your own drinks but quick tip, if u need ice they have plenty in here. One thing that was disappointing was were given 2 reservations to the a la cart restaurants of THEIR choice and THEIR times. We just wanted to get into the water so we did not complain. Back to the front desk for our safe keys. Safe was kinda tricky but very easy once u figure it out.
We get to our room, nice room but basically ground level. Rooms on the same level as the lobby have a terrace outside of the rooms so not the best of views. We stayed in room 23312. Maid was super friendly and we had her 6 of the 7 days we stayed.
We did tip her and everything we asked of her was taken care of. Tips at the swim up bar a appreciated but hardly mandatory for good service. Service was above par for everyone. One complaint was the blenders were mysteriously gone from more than one bar after a huge thunder and lightning storm, O well.
Pool is very big and windy. Swim up bar was great with music coming from right behind it. Plenty of chairs by the pools. If you want the cabanas, like u read before, you must get there early to "reserve" which I hate. Activities are posted by the pool for the whole day so u can map ur day around what u wanna do.
Food was so so. I have been to 5 all inclusives now and have came accustom to buffet food. This was no different. Plenty of choices for all tastes. Dinner buffet has country theme nights so they have an abundance of food from that country in a separate area. Breakfast buffets again, several choices of just about anything u want. Omelet station or 2 I believe. The lunch buffet on the beach was so so. YES the jerk chicken u hear about is very good and moist. Be careful of how much jerk sauce u add. Its very hot. Didn't even have to try the hellfire sauce, the medium was hot enough lol. Ordered room service and came in about 45 minutes. Burger with fries and a cheese pizza. Was okay, fries were hotter than the burger to be honest.
We are pool people and never once went to a beach so cant comment on any of them.
Used our pool towels multiple time because of the horror stories we read. Took care of the maid and she brought us 2 new towels instead of dealing with the towel hut.
Checkout was a breeze. Only thing is if you want top shelf liquor or redbull it is all charged to your room. They don't accept cash. So upon checkout, I owed a hefty bill, because of my taste that is.
Overall I would only rate this a 4 star resort. You get what u paid for. If u wanna drop 2 grand a person and have lavish food and amenities then do it. But for the price we paid ($1,275 US) for a week, there is not much to complain about. I would recommend this resort to anyone. Kid friendly, couples, singles. Would I return, no because the Caribian has thousands of resorts and I would like to see more. One last thing is you must visit Dolphin Cove. Was the only excursion we did and its a once in a life time experience. If you have any questions I would love to help you out. Just message me on here and I will try my best. Have fun, I did!!!! Shout out Julia and Maria from Vancouver :)

Room Tip: Stay in 4th or 5th floors for the best views, not the 3rd floor with the terrace outside your room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

We value your observations, which will help us to improve our services and to provide a better one every day.

Thank you for your collaboration and for vacationing with us; we hope to see you soon again in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts a wonderful experience in the Caribbean.

Yours faithfully,

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!