“All right but not Great”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We had a pleasant 10 day stay at this resort

2nd night there at 01:30 my toilet decided to explode after I flushed it, after reporting it to reception they finally sent someone to my room with a mop & bucket,by then the room was flooded,by 03:30 they finally moved us to a equally bad room, I visited the reception in the morning to again get moved to a better room, only to be told by a grumpy receptionist the hotel was full,knowing this not to true I asked to see a manager,after meeting Diana we were moved to a 4th floor room which was very nice,although the original room was flooded with nasty bits floating around,this room was occupied by mid afternoon the same day,no way this could have been disinfected...

On the 2nd day I attempted to book into the Ala Carte restaurants only to told by a rude member of staff there was nothing available for our first week,I managed to book 3 for the second week,as it was my daughters 21st birthday on the 2nd day I decided to chance it & visit the Italian restaurant at 18:00 to see if they could fit us in,guess what they had a table,I also managed to get into the Spanish restaurant the same way by just turning up,they had loads of times & tables (why the grumpy member of staff lied I do not know)

The main buffet although having theme nights,is a bit of a cattle Market, breakfast especially

The entertainment at night is shocking,boring non professional dancers trying to put on a show

The beach buffet bar ie Jerk Chicken place is great,even have happy waiters juggling glasses of beer on their heads to serve you

We did 2 trips

The Bob Marley trip to nine miles is great on the Zion bus as is the trip to Black river,Ys Falls & Rum Factory

I would rate this resort as a 3.5 star

Room Tip: Try & get room on the 4th floor in block 18 very quite with good brides
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank IANLINCOX
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your opinion about your last trip in our Hotel. It is good to know that you had a pleasant experience and you have enjoyed our jerk chicken center by the beach.

On the other hand, we are satisfied to learn that you gave us the opportunity to assist you with the room issue that you experienced. Furthermore allow us to highlight that in our Resort our entertainment staffs gives their best to offer our guests from different nationalities an authentic Caribbean experience.

Kindly note that we always try to accommodate our guests’ requests, nonetheless the reservation for a la carte restaurants it is always based on the availability, sometimes our guests decide not to use their reservation without previous notice, which made us unable to cancel the reservation in our system. Please, accept or sincerest apologies.

Thank you for your collaboration and for vacationing with us; we hope to see you soon again in our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Yours Sincerely,

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Write a ReviewReviews (11,451)

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We are still on vacation and I could not wait to get back to write this review. Let me start off by saying that the standards of this hotel are not par to a 5 star hotel. we spent a lot of money to come on this vacation but it was only a big disappointment. The staff are really nice and caring but the overall management of the hotel is HORRIFIC. They are ALWAYS running out of towels, I highly suggest they purchase more towels if they seem to be running out 3-5 times during the day. there is only 1 dinning hall (with the exception of the gold star members dinning hall) and ppl are always fighting for a table. the food is nothing to rave about. One night we walked by a hall way of rooms (to get to the shopping centre) and smelled a very strong smell of sewage, obviously there was a back up but it was not taken care of for 2 days.
I was very excited to swim in the ocean only to get hurt by the rocky sharp huge rocks sticking out of the ocean. They told me this particular area is for snorkeling. Let me tell you if I was an avid snorkeler I would NEVER swim in that area. The other beach area that is supposedly “smoother” is a hike, hence, I never went. We booked a la carte only to be booked for two different restaurants we never wanted, and that could not be changed. we were planning to enjoy the jacuzzi in our bathroom but it was so dirty i didnt even bother asking them to clean it. that should already have been done.
We stayed at Grand bahai principe when we went to Mexico, Mayan Riveria and we had no complaints. But this particular one should be called a 3 star hotel. I wish I had saved some money and booked a 4 or 4.5 star, probably would have had a much better experience.
So if your booking a trip and planning on staying at this hotel, my husband and I would highly advise to book at another hotel. I hear the “Jewel” 4.5 star hotel in runaway bay just 5 minutes from us is EXCELLENT and serves excellent food as well!

5  Thank neeva_gs
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

The fulfillment of our guest’s expectation is our main objective. From the bottom of our heart we can assure you that we feel very unhappy to know that we could not have impressed you with our services since we strive daily in our performance to provide our guest an enjoyable stay.

On the other hand we are taking into account your suggestions and recommendations which will help us to be up to par of our guests satisfaction as well as to ensure that we maintain the level of service expected.

Thank you for your feedback, and we will be more than happy if you could give us the opportunity to host you again for providing you and enjoyable vacation.

Cordial greetings,

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Arrival-We dragged our own luggage to room. No bellhop available @3pm! This is check-in time, right? Reps in tour room-Nicole was never to be found and others in the room was reluctant to assist since they did not rep same company. Playing games on their cellphones was more important! Housekeeping-how does a hotel run out of towels so often? Towels was delivered 4 1/2 hrs after service. Pool-Towels at towel hut are non-exsistent! Buffet-need better variety. Same ole stuff each day. What happened to seafood night on Friday?! Beach snack bar- jerk chicken, not all that. What's al lthe rave about? At restaurants hostesses need to be a lil more flexible when one arrives for dinner 5 mins late!! Is the kitchen really affected by 5 mins?! Ice machine- None to be found! Was told to take our bucket to the closet bar. Seriously?! There should be a machine on each floor. Upon departure no bell hop! Stop looking for tips as soon as a foot touches the ground from the car. Assist with luggage. Daytime activities--what were they? DJ at towel hut (same as MC @nighlty shows) best entertainer. Alecia @ frontdesk, very welcoming & friendly. Beware of the houskeeping staff..they have sticky fingers. We returned to our room early because it was pouring out to find Mercado (maintenance guy) with his toolbox outside the room as if he's the lookout and the maid inside. Oh you better believe, I asked what's going on here and barged my way into the room .This lady took my pashmina and returned it as soon as I realized it was missing!!! I should have reported her [--] but sympathized with her! Arrrgghh! Keep your items locked up in luggage if you opt not to pay $6 per day for safe. This amenity was always included elsewhere. Property is nice except for beach...where's the sand? Do Not venture to the so called "clothing optional" section. Once you get in the water everyone in the water on the other side will see you anyways. Security on beach will take pics of you. Sneaky! A Peeping Tom if you ask me. It was worth it afterall as I had a GREAT time celebrating my birthday with the one I love.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your impressions with us. We appreciate to learn that despite of some issues that you experienced during your vacation, you had overall a good a time with us during your birthday celebration.

On the other hand, it is with great regret that we know that our selection of meal and entertainment was underwhelming. We do our best every day to give our guests a superior service and in this regard we will work assiduously to ensure that your next visit will be met and surpass.

Thank you for vacationing with us; we hope to serve you soon again in our Bahia Principe Hotel in Jamaica

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Just came home, and it's time to reflect on our stay. traveled with 4 other couples. Lets start with the FEW negative. Air conditioning needs to be in all restaurants and must be turned way up! Very warm trying to eat a meal in Al-carte restaurants. It wasn't hot, but to warm to enjoy. No air in Garden Grill Restaurant bad move, beautiful restaurant but no AIR! Rooms need to have air conditioning increased for cooler air output. Sleeping is OK but marginal at best. All 5 couples said the same thing. Now the Positive, been more than 10 times to Jamaica, this was near or at the top. Everything has been said about the resort ,for the PRICE you pay and the things you get it is well worth you trying it out. Forget about their Transportation hire a driver, we had RILEY TOURS,Smiley was great . He picked us up at airport on time and delivered us directly to BAHIA. Any tours he would arrange it for you and stay with you all the time. The day you leave he is always on time. Prices can not be BETTER. Tell him you heard from IRISH SPRING . The only other thing that bothered my group was the long walk to beach. Closest buildings to nice beach is the Golden Club. Last but not least do upgrade to LUXURY DON PABLO. For 25 $ American. IT IS WELL WORTH IT PER PERSON PER DAY!!!. ADULTS ONLY! The negatives I couldn't find anywhere other then what I have mentioned already. Some people no matter what, you can't please. This is not a 5* resort but close enough to enjoy your vacation. If your like that stay home , if you're not you will enjoy!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. Your comments are very important to us in our daily effort s in providing our guests with a wonderful vacation; it helps us to improve on the products and services we offer to all our guests. We are happy to know that we have achieved our goal in providing you with the ultimate vacation experience. And that you have enjoyed your stay with us and you have considered our Hotel a good value for money.

Once again we would like to thank you for your positive comments and for choosing to vacation here with us at the Grande Bahia Principe Resort Jamaica, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Starting off, I would like to say I had a really good time and this is just my experience. Was there from Nov 10th-16th. Check in was quick and efficient. We prepaid for the Gold Club and were sent over there after receiving our room keys. Gold club has 4 computers which we were entitled to internet for half hr a day. Small bar is the corner to make your own drinks but quick tip, if u need ice they have plenty in here. One thing that was disappointing was were given 2 reservations to the a la cart restaurants of THEIR choice and THEIR times. We just wanted to get into the water so we did not complain. Back to the front desk for our safe keys. Safe was kinda tricky but very easy once u figure it out.
We get to our room, nice room but basically ground level. Rooms on the same level as the lobby have a terrace outside of the rooms so not the best of views. We stayed in room 23312. Maid was super friendly and we had her 6 of the 7 days we stayed.
We did tip her and everything we asked of her was taken care of. Tips at the swim up bar a appreciated but hardly mandatory for good service. Service was above par for everyone. One complaint was the blenders were mysteriously gone from more than one bar after a huge thunder and lightning storm, O well.
Pool is very big and windy. Swim up bar was great with music coming from right behind it. Plenty of chairs by the pools. If you want the cabanas, like u read before, you must get there early to "reserve" which I hate. Activities are posted by the pool for the whole day so u can map ur day around what u wanna do.
Food was so so. I have been to 5 all inclusives now and have came accustom to buffet food. This was no different. Plenty of choices for all tastes. Dinner buffet has country theme nights so they have an abundance of food from that country in a separate area. Breakfast buffets again, several choices of just about anything u want. Omelet station or 2 I believe. The lunch buffet on the beach was so so. YES the jerk chicken u hear about is very good and moist. Be careful of how much jerk sauce u add. Its very hot. Didn't even have to try the hellfire sauce, the medium was hot enough lol. Ordered room service and came in about 45 minutes. Burger with fries and a cheese pizza. Was okay, fries were hotter than the burger to be honest.
We are pool people and never once went to a beach so cant comment on any of them.
Used our pool towels multiple time because of the horror stories we read. Took care of the maid and she brought us 2 new towels instead of dealing with the towel hut.
Checkout was a breeze. Only thing is if you want top shelf liquor or redbull it is all charged to your room. They don't accept cash. So upon checkout, I owed a hefty bill, because of my taste that is.
Overall I would only rate this a 4 star resort. You get what u paid for. If u wanna drop 2 grand a person and have lavish food and amenities then do it. But for the price we paid ($1,275 US) for a week, there is not much to complain about. I would recommend this resort to anyone. Kid friendly, couples, singles. Would I return, no because the Caribian has thousands of resorts and I would like to see more. One last thing is you must visit Dolphin Cove. Was the only excursion we did and its a once in a life time experience. If you have any questions I would love to help you out. Just message me on here and I will try my best. Have fun, I did!!!! Shout out Julia and Maria from Vancouver :)

Room Tip: Stay in 4th or 5th floors for the best views, not the 3rd floor with the terrace outside your room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

We value your observations, which will help us to improve our services and to provide a better one every day.

Thank you for your collaboration and for vacationing with us; we hope to see you soon again in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts a wonderful experience in the Caribbean.

Yours faithfully,

Marvelis symister

Reviewed November 19, 2013

The grounds are beautifully kept, rooms were acceptably clean, food was good, not great. NEVER attempt this place if you are in a wheelchair. It is not wheelchair friendly and although you can get around, you will be walking and walking to get anywhere as ramps are few and far between. NEVER book through the diamond club as it is a disgrace and probably the biggest reason I will not recommend this resort to anyone. We paid a premium to get premium service and the only thing they ever told us was to go to the front desk for any of our needs. Towels and Toilet paper seemed to be a premium at this resort. Two days in a row we had to ask multiple times for towels as they took our dirty ones and left us with nothing (this was at 5PM). Ran out of toilet paper two days as they left us small part rolls each day. Beach was wonderful, but you needed to go to the right one, as one beach was very rocky. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank donnv4

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your last vacation with us. It is good to learn that the cleanliness of our rooms, our gastronomy and the well kept ground captivated your attention. However it is with regret that we learn that you left our property not totally satisfy with our services .

We also noted your dissatisfaction with the Diamond Club and we would like to apologize for the inconsistency in our service that you experienced, we also encourage our guests with Clubs concerns to ask to speak to our Public Relations Manager.

It was a pleasure to host you, and we sincerely hope to be afforded with the opportunity to turn your perception of our service and provide you an enjoyable stay.

Yours respectfully,

Reviewed November 18, 2013

For the past number of years my girlfriends and I take a girls trip in the fall. While this year it was only 2 of us we were still looking forward to getting away
I think my biggest complaint is that there seems to be a real lack of organization. We arrived and sat on the bus for an hour before leaving - still don't know why. When we got to the hotel we were taken right away to our room - not at all what we asked for - we got a king bed and on 3rd floor - we had asked ahead of time for 2 beds and on the ground floor as \i was still recovering from surgery in the spring on both my feet. The porter kindly tried to find out what was going on but when the front desk didn't call back he went down. After waiting quite some time, my girlfriend went down to see what was happening only to find out that his shift had ended so he left. He did pass on the situation to a manager behind the desk but she was too busy chatting with a coworker to worry about us right away until my friend went down. We were then moved to a nice room - large and cliean.
The resort is beautiful but huge - if you are physically challenged its not the place for you.
The pool was big and beautiful but you could only go so far then you had to get out - walk a bit and get back in - they seemed to have several walls like this separating it but Im not sure why.
The food and drinks were great but the service sucked. If a bartender did acknowledge you, he would often walk away before \i was finished talking and would serve others and eventually come back - and with my drink but it was a bit frustrating
The a la carte restaurants were awesome - great food and wonderful service
There were a lot of weddings held at this resort and it was a beautiful spot - a gazebo out over the water
When asked if it was safe for the two of us to go out on our own we were told - "no problem mon! But travel light so if something happens you wont lose much!" That was from a staff member!!
There were some other issues that were related to us by other guests but not my story to tell but didn't make me feel too safe even at the hotel.
The beach was nice but you had to walk a long way again to reach it - going by reserved areas for the elite guests.
Overall, it was fine but will not rush back

Room Tip: We had ground floor just across from one of the restaurants - the steakhouse_and the pool was behind...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Janet W

Dear Janet,

The opinion of our guest is very valuable to us and we would like to thank you for taking the time out to share the impression of your vacation at our Resort. We are glad to learn that you have considered our hotel beautiful and you have enjoyed our cuisine at a la carte restaurants, drinks and our swimming pool.

Furthermore, we noticed your recommendations which will be taken into consideration to improve the level of our services.

Thank you for vacationing with us, we hope to be afforded with the opportunity to host you again to provide you an enjoyable vacation at our Hotel.

Yours respectfully,

Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!