“BRIDES BE AWARE..................”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I had the worst experience of my life, We arrived on Sat Oct 19 at 10pm the check in was a disaster not organized at all. My son was not on file either. Made up to our room to find no towels, robs, slippers and the phones did not work. Called down from another room for the service guy and he came to tell us that he would let the phone company know? and no towels or bath robs were sent up. We had to ask a maid on the floor for towels. We started to unpack some stuff Sat night but it was late and we stayed in our room for the night with wedding bands, watch and our other belongings all there as we checked to make sure nothing was left. Sunday we went to the front desk to get the safe key ( that was the only time I left my bags and we put a do not disturb sign on our door we were gone maybe 1.5 hours) we also asked to talk to our wedding planner at the front desk as our phone was not working. We were told we had a meeting at 11am that morning and there should have been a note in our welcome package, we checked and there was no note and it was 12pm so we met with our wedding planner assistant at 1pm as Vinnette was not in to discuss our plans. We went back up to our room locked up our things knowing we saw and had all our belonging, had trouble with the safe had to ask for assistance, unpacked the rest of our stuff and left our room for a few hours. Mon we followed up with Vinnette as she was back from Vacation we told her about our phone & towels ext and she realized we were not in an ocean view room and we needed a working phone so she had our room changed. We packed up and moved to find no towels or robs or slippers and the tub was dirty. We then put all our stuff in the safe as soon as we got into our room, we did not check as again we saw everything in the other room. Tues was my big day!! All was well until 10 minutes before I was going to walk done the aisle, I went in the safe to get my wedding bands, I open the box where we kept our bands to find they had been taken,I asked my wedding planner to call down to my husband who was waiting for me to see if he had the rings he said no? He ran back up to the room to double check, as he could not believe it. I was hiding in the bathroom so he would not see me. I then asked him if he gave my son the special watch we bought him and he said he left it in my parents room as that was where all the guys got ready. I went down with my dad to get my sons watch to give him before we left to get married and on the parents bed was the watch box with nothing in it, again I was shocked as my son said he never even saw it or knew about it until I asked if he got it and my husband said he left it on the bed for Owen to open but they were all running around and my husband never told him about it. We had to carry on as all my guest were waiting as we were already 30 min late due to the missing bands and watch, so we had to borrow wedding bands from my dad for the wedding. Security was called up after our ceremony and photos we gave our statement and got ready for our reception. The next day my husband went on a planned fishing trip & I spoke to the Golden club about the situation she then brought me to her supervisor Terry or Carrie as she did not give me a business card and told me she was sorry and would give me a bottle of rum and t-shirt for my losses(which we never did receive) and if I booked again she would upgrade my room, and to mention I am the bride who's rings we taken and she would know who I am, she did not ask for my name or any info about me what's so ever including room. What a joke... I then went to Air Transat station in the hotel and spoke with our rep she took all the info said she would look into it, and talk to the hotel manger. Thurs we got up went to the security department to see what was done and they asked if we wanted the police involved and we said yes. Police were called at 10am we were told they would be at the resort by 11:30/12pm and to come back. We were back at 11:30 sat in the foyer till 1pm to be told the police could not come and we had to go the police station. I asked for a resort person to come with us as I was not going by our selves, they did send a bus boy who was very sweet and friendly. Went to police station for 3.5 hours gave a statement to be told they had to come to the resort and were right behind us.We sat in the foyer at the resort to wait,finally we asked to speak to the manager(who was not in all week & could not be contacted & did not have a business card or name)We spoke with Marlin who was the assistant manager by this time I was so very upset as he did not make me feel like anything would be done. He went on to say that they have tried to help us by offering the police on Tues but that was my wedding and I was not about to get into it then and then he thru in our face that Wed my husband went fishing and it could have been taken care of then. This trip was planned and paid for before any of this stuff happened he made it seem like we made it not important, but Wed I was the one running around looking for answerers and help and not once did he contact us. Until we contact him after the police station, where was he assisting us Tues, Wed and most of Thurs, is my question? My husband asked him for some kind of compensation(our spa paid $250 for & wedding photos $700 for 69 pics which I found outrageous)(140 pictures were taken and the package we wanted offered us 30 for $450.00 but we wanted more and asked what they would charge for all 140 he said 11 a picture after our 30, so we cut it back and was given 69 on a cd to take home and print our selves)( what was I to do we wanted our pictures and was complete taken advantage of) Marlin said he would have to look into what he could do for us, and would get back to us. We left went back up to our room to get ready for our dinner reservations for 5:30 with our family, The police showed up at our room at 5:30 to look at the boxes we had everything in check the safe and make notes, we were given a slip and was told to take that back to Canada with us and the hotel would get a copy as well.
We never heard from anyone on Fri and we left Sat very upset as nothing was done but tears and a wasted week. We spoke with Marlin again and he said they “tried” to reach us by phone all day Fri to tell us they had planned a romantic dinner but we never answered?? There was not 1 message or note left for us to tell us such things had been arranged, they did not even try to find us as we were at the resort all day till 3pm then went on a sunset boat cruise the place was on the resort, the wedding photography booth managed to call me at the boat place to tell me my photos were ready for pick up. Marlin also mentioned that when we went to the spa he added we could use the facilities (steam room,pool and sauna $30.00 value) we were told after our massages that we could use them it was not specified to us that Marlin had requested we assumed it was the spa knowing we just got married and offered us that. Marlin also brought up that had arranged Breakfast in bed Sat morning but I had already left my room by the time they called to tell us. And last but not least and I will quote in Marlin’s words “we did not want to mention this to you but at your wedding reception we kept the bar open an extra hour and that was worth $900.00!!!” We had a private venue we paid $1700.00 which included the venue, dj and drinks during dinner and after dinner rum punch would be served. My husband and I were not aware the bar was still open after dinner as we drank rum punch given to us by our guests we never got our own drink and I doubt 41 guests including 4 children drank $900.00 worth of booze. So we reminded Marlin about our request to pay for our pictures and spa he said he could not do that as The spa and photographer are not affiliated with Grand Bahia and that they could not pay for it as the money would have to come out of their pocket, but I remind you he “made the request at the spa for the facilities” so he could pay $30.00 for that? By the time word got back to my parents the resort would not do anything and I had been upset since Tues as we were told if we went to the police the resort would have a copy and could do something but in the end it was a waste of time. My dad asked for the Manager and was told he was not in and they could not call him and he did not have a business card nor would they give us his name, my mom lost her temper and the Resident manger Fran Marte, CHA came to the foyer (I did get his card) and called security on my mother. He was very rude and said over and over again there was nothing he could do did not apologies for what happened. I had asked to see reports or documentations of the past 4 days of any investigation and they refused to give them to me, I asked if they spoke to any employees who were in and out of my room and Marlin said “do you have any idea how many people go in and out of your room?” again I was shocked as why would so many people go in and out of our room? I asked if each employee who leaves the resort is searched and he said yes, funny as when we left the resort in the hotel taxi with an employee they were not searched nor were we or questioned? going out or coming back in, the only thing they did at the gate was open the trunk.
My last 4 days were horrible and was made to feel like we sabotaged our own wedding, My husband and I planned and saved for a year and a half for this week and it was all taken away from us with the theft and running around by us and in the end it was a waste of our time and a tainted memory of the most important day of our life. Our family and friends never got to spend any time with us and felt horrible nothing was done by the resort. A few guests had sunglasses and watches taken as well from their room they were not locked up they were given to them as a welcome bag for going on some tour of the resort for a time share, they did not want to mention this to us after what we went thru and saved it for the bus ride home, they did not care to report it as it was what the resort had given them and meant nothing to them.
I was given a survey from the resort which I filled out, as did all my 41 guests with a bunch of comments.
I am disappointed as the resort is beautiful and I have dreamed about this day for 37 years and looked forward to my 4 days with my new husband as a mini honeymoon going on excursions with family and friends and we had to miss it all. My guests got to enjoy them selves which makes us so very happy. With Grand Bahia being such a well known chain of resorts we expected to have been treated better. We now have to replace both wedding bands and watch but will never be able to replace or do over our wedding day.
We also have to save up again for a mini honeymoon since that was taken away from us, as well.

15  Thank Jasmine N
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica.

We are very sorry to know that you were not satisfied beside our efforts; always our main goal strives in having a great ambience to satisfy our guest’s requirements. Nonetheless, allow us to comment on some of the issues of your communication.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience experienced in your room; however as per our internal reports, all those issues were solved immediately as soon as they were reported to us.

We would like to inform that any member of our Wedding Department are capable to conduct the Wedding Consultation since all of them have being in communication with the Bride and Groom and all the details related to the wedding are kept on file In this case our Wedding Manager had the pleasure to assisted you on that regard.

We are very concerned about the situation reported related to the missing items, and regarding this particular case, we can assured that all the security protocols were strictly followed providing the necessary assistance to denounce the situation to the relevant authorities of the country which at first instance was declined owing to a fishing trip that day.

Please allow us to kindly inform that safe boxes can be open only by the personal code created by the guests; otherwise the safe would be blocked. In addition, other valuable items were found in the safe and they never were missed.

It is very important for us to point out that all our managers are always at our guest’s disposal any time and to deal, in a very professional and polite manner, with any situation that could occur during our guest stay. All our Management Team and Wedding Department did everything in their power to assist you; however we are very disappointed to learn that all our best efforts were in vain. We would like to extend our sincerest apologies for any misunderstanding or discomfort experienced in this sense.

We are sincerely sorry that you left unhappy and felt that we were not able to meet your expectations. We are in the business to bring and enjoyable, unforgettable experience to all our guests, we are deeply sorry we were unable to accomplish our aim this time; however, we are pleased to learn that you were satisfied with your wedding and our services were up to par.

On behalf of our General Manager and all our Staff Members, we would like to apologize for any discomfort experience and at the same time, we would like to thank you for vacationing with us the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Great location for snorkeling. Reef starts right near the beach, water is clear, lots of fish.
The hotel though is disappointing. Check in process is strange. We ordered junior deluxe suite (which is really a regular room with a great view and whirlpool), and thus have been sent to Golden Club. Check in was fast, but getting key for the safe deposit box took about 20 minutes, because it has to be done at common reception. Three hours after check in we found that water is leaking from above. Bathroom and then room itself started flooding. I called reception twice, no reaction. Went to reception, talked to one person who in the middle of conversation received private call on the phone and I had to talk to another person. It took them three more hours to relocate us. I think management should be replaced, such attitude is not acceptable in the hotel which pretends to be upscale. Reaction to emergencies should be quick.
Service was spotty, but room service takes away all towels and return them only around 4 PM. Twice they didn't return them until I called reception (twice every time). Again, such service is not acceptable for upscale hotel. Advice: stow away some towels right away.
Food. Decent in the buffet, with some problems. Fish sometimes overcooked at cook stations, but close to perfect at other places. Pork and beef are always overcooked. Seafood has spotty quality. Muscles sometimes salted (Why?).They served oysters once, also salted. The worst oysters in my life. On the other hand, on Fridays they served lobster tails, very good. Deserts have been excellent, a lot of choice, small nice portions. Choice of vegetables was poor, somewhat compensated by good choice of fruits. Red wine is decent (Argentina), white is not acceptable. A la carte restaurants are all good (can't say about Japanese, didn't go), especially Don Pablo.
If you want it, you can stay drunk all day: champagne with breakfast, wine at lunch and dinner, bar at the pool.
Beaches are clean, including small nude beach. Strange, but women are not allowed to be topless on other beaches. Are you kidding me, it's Jamaica, not Dubai or Alabama!
The only reason I rate this place Average is location. Otherwise, poor.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Alex F

Dear Alex,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about our Hotel. We are glad to know that you enjoyed some of our facilities like our excellent food variety, good choice of fruits and a la carte restaurants as well as the location of our property.

However, it is with regret that we have known that you left not totally satisfied with our services since we always try to do our best effort to meet our guest’s satisfaction.

Thanks for vacationing with us and for your valuable comments which will be taken into consideration.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed November 6, 2013

If you like huge buffets and an even bigger resort, this is the place for you. My husband and I went for a wedding, and it was good, but my preference is not to feel like one of hundreds at our resort. The pools were spectacular, the weather was surprisingly perfect (despite it being at the end of their rainy season), and that island breeze was intoxicating. We upgraded to the Don Pablo Collection, but to be honest I'm not sure it's worth the added expense. The resort staff did their best to accommodate your every need, so other than the unlimited premium drinks, room service and access to the more quiet pool, it seemed like everyone was treated well regardless of where you stayed in the resort. My only negative comment would be the incessant phone calls we received from the Don Pablo Lounge to make sure our stay was going well and if we had any complaints. I said "these phone calls are my only complaints, please know that we are well taken care of, and if we need anything we will call YOU!" but they said they have to call to follow up. So BE PREPARED if you call for a late night room service they will call you at 7:30 am to see how the service and food was!!! Other than that it was a pleasant stay, Dunns River Falls was our only excursion and it was quite nice and a unique experience (although VERY loud with all the other groups and guides, and somewhat more challenging than I had anticipated). Somewhat slow service at the resort so be prepared to wait for a half hour minimum when you call down for anything - they offer wonderful service, but not at the North American pace you're likely used to! Overall good trip. Would I go back to the Grand Bahia again? Probably not.

Room Tip: Don Pablo Collection - ask for a corner room for a huge wrap-around balcony. Morning sun with room s...
3  Thank TheTOdubyas
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

It was very pleasant to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that we were able to provide you an enjoyable stay in our Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection. It is a pleasure to learn that you have especially enjoyed the weather, pool, drinks, and that you feel completely welcome in our Hotel.

Thank you so much for your suggestion and recommendations made to our operation and we sincerely hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Everything about this hotel is spot on First class. Assistant Manager was so friendly and polite to us and his entire team was oh so friendly.
Thanks to each and everyone one of you for making our holiday at your hotel so perfect..

Mr Fitzroy Williams

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Fitz W

Dear Guest,

It is a great satisfaction for us to know that you have fully enjoyed your stay at our Hotel and you appreciated the professionalism of our Assistant Manager and all the team members. We are very proud to have received your excellent comments regarding our service.

In the name of our General Manager and staff, we would like to thank you for vacationing with us and we hope to see you soon in our Grand Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Jamaica.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Just returned from the Bahia with another couple. Worried it would be raining all the time, but luckily had fantastic weather throughout our week. Sunny and breezy nearer the ocean which was appreciated as the humidity was often very oppressive. Only went on one day trip to the Bob Marley museum which was a lot of fun and the bus ride gives you the chance to see much of the Jamaican landscape and rural life. Our second time to Jamaica so had already taken many of the trips, all of which I'd recommend. Beach here is amazing, clean and I didn't get a single bite - a real rarity for me! We packed our snorkel gear but didn't use it as not much to see at the resort beach. The interconnecting pools allow you to choose between the activities around the pool bar area or quieter spots farther away - 2 pool bars to choose from. Food in the buffet is excellent and equally as good as anything we had at the a la carte restaurants. Beach restaurant serves jerk chicken and pork each day along with a buffet. A great place for lunch with fantastic views of the beach and ocean. Overall, excellent value. One thing though, be prepared to pay separately for a room safe ($6/day with a $50 deposit).

Room Tip: Building 18 with rooms facing ocean are ideal especially if you want to be near everything: the pool...
2  Thank Netty159
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear guest,

We are very happy to see that we could be able to exceed once more your expectations during your second visit to our Hotel; we really appreciate your time to share your opinion with us and let us know that you enjoyed the fantastic weather, entertainments around the pool bar, and the fantastic ocean view and specially our jerk chicken center by the beach,

In the name of our General Manager and all Staff members thank you so much for your kind comments and of course we are at your disposal any time for any further assistance in your third visit to our Resort. We hope see you soon.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I know it's taken a long time for me to do this, but I feel very bitter about events leading up to and disappointment once there.
The wedding was booked and confirmed with GBP in September 2012. First and foremost, in July 2013, my daughter was informed that they had double-booked for the same date and time with another couple and that we would have to choose another date. This took almost 3 weeks to straighten out.
Then, the wedding planner from GBP would not accept a deposit for the wedding ceremony from our travel agent, but wanted scanned copy (front & back) of my credit card, drivers license and an authorisation form to be filled out. Three weeks before the wedding, low and behold no deposit has yet been taken out but my credit card has now been frauded for 4 carribean flights plus a charge pending (totalling to over $7,500.). Once this was straightened out, now time to leave.
Arrived there, had over an hour wait in the lobby for our room (which was suppose to be a 2-room suite because my other daughter & grandson bunked with us). Instead we were all in one room with two double beds. Air-conditionning worked on and off when it wanted, the keys would deactivate frequently, for the first three days we were told that there were no face clothes, frequently had to call because we were left one bath towel for 4 people, and would only have delivery of missing towels after 9:00 pm, no coffee (but a coffee maker), spent more time on the phone requesting service that should have been had. The bride's camera and a pair of tweezers were stolen from her room, the beach was rocks and the pool closed around 5:30. The food was not the greatest, at the Garden Grill, it took over an hour to serve my grandson a dish from the children's menu. We were a group of 30 and everyone had their meals but him (great to explain to a 7 year old). Honestly, what more can I say other than it is one place that neither I nor the 30 others would never return to.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank Marlene L

Dear Marlene,

We would like to thank you for your feedback and at the same time, we would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere regret to learn that your daughter's wedding experience was not as memorable as expected.

We would like to clarify that as per our company policy, in an attempt to avoid any scam or fraudulent use of any credit card and for our own guest’s security purposes; this kind of documentation is always requested. However as per our wedding department explained to you, the mentioned charges never were made from our Resort.

On the other hand, we are very sorry for the situation that you mention in your review. In this regard, we would like to acknowledge that we have very strict control of all issues reported and we can ensure that all the security protocols established by the chain are strictly follow and we would like to add that we are at our guest’s disposal any time to provide them the necessary assistance to denounce situations or cases as you mention to the relevant authorities of this country. However, for total peace of mind of our guests, we recommend the rental of our safe boxes to deposit their valuables.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and we hope you could give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

This hotel is absolutely amazing. I travelled with my boyfriend from October 30th until November 3rd 2013 and it was fabulous. I have travelled to Cuba 14 times, to Varadero, Holguin, and Cayo Coco and my boyfriend has been to two different cities in Mexico, two cities in the Dominican Republic, and Cuba. We both have agreed to never travel anywhere other than Jamaica again!

First, the beaches. There were two smaller beaches on the right side of the resort, where the snorkelling was absolutely amazing but they weren't very good for swimming. I saw a needlefish, a blowfish, a barracuda, several different types of tangs, lots of butterfly fish, flatfish, two sea snakes slithering in the algae, two different types of urchins, an enormous sea sponge, and a bunch of other marine life. It was absolutely amazing. The larger beach that was all the way to the left of the resort was excellent for swimming, it was all sand and was beautiful. We didn't spend much time by the pool as we came on vacation for the beach, but the pool always looked clean and well-kept and there were always activities going on, with lots of music. We never had any trouble getting beach towels however we were there when the hotel was not very busy so we were able to exchange our beach towels for new ones every day.

Second, the food. My boyfriend and I have never experienced such great food at any Caribbean resort. The buffet was amazing, boasting with delicious food morning, afternoon, and evening. There was a kids corner, with small meal items such as sliders, fries, and hot dogs, and there was a Jamaican corner with a variety of traditional Jamaican meals available. There was also a vegetarian corner. Since we were there for 4 nights, we had the right to 2 A La Carte dinners with the choice of 4 restaurants. We went to the Grill Steakhouse, and Mikado, the Japanese restaurant. The rib-eye steak was good at the steakhouse, however the sauce on it was a little much so make sure to ask for it on the side if you're picky. The Japanese restaurant, Mikado, was absolutely amazing. There was a chef that came in and cooked the main course on the grill right in front of you and he was super friendly and nice. The food was absolutely amazing and we wish we could've gone a second time because it was such a great experience and the food was delicious.

Third, the entertainment. The entertainment was nice, with different shows every night. The Reggae show was really nice to see and the other shows were just alright. It was more entertaining than shows in Cuba and in the Dominican.

Fourth, the people. Jamaican people are absolutely amazing. This trip was the first where I felt like I really got to know the people and culture. You never felt pressured to give tips or not and the staff were never judging you or accommodating you based on whether or not you tipped them. Jamaican people are very laid-back therefore it may be annoying for people who are used to getting their drinks, for example, really quickly, but you are on vacation and should relax and enjoy. The people are all very nice and everyone is very genuinely kind and caring.

Fifth, the rooms. The room we stayed in was 22406, we had no problems with mosquitoes (like other rooms on the first or second floors did) and the maid replenished our towels and other needs in the room every day. Our mini fridge was refilled every day and our room was always neat by 2pm.

Lastly, the only problem we had was minor, with the safe, where we got a key for our safe (as you have to pay a $50 deposit plus $6 per day to use the safe). The key we got did not fit our safe as it was an older safe and when we called reception, we were told that someone would be up to help us soon. 20 minutes later, no one came, so my boyfriend called the reception desk and told them to not send anyone up as we were going to go to the beach and did not want to waste time waiting. A man came later around 6pm to help us with our safe and was very nice and helpful.

We did not go on any trips because we had 4 nights and 4 full days, so we did not want to waste beach time going on excursions. Maybe next time!

Overall, I give this resort a 5 out of 5. We can't wait to go back to Gran Bahia Principe.

BRING YOUR SNORKEL SETS!!!

Room Tip: Request anything above the 2nd floor to avoid mosquitoes this time of year!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank IRENA T

Dear Irena,

We are delighted reading your kind comments. It is a pleasure to know that we were able to surpass your expectations during your recently vacation with us. Our professional entertainers around the pool, beauty of the property, variety and quality of our cuisine, kid’s corner at the buffet, the snorkeling sport in our beautiful beach and the different types of marine species in our seawater captivated your attention.

Thank you very much for vacationing with us and we sincerely hope to be rewarded with your presence very soon at our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica.

Warm regards,

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!