I got married at the Grand Bahia Resort Runaway Bay in August of this year. This was our second visit to this resort and my wife and children adored the place. On this visit I invited several other guest along simply because I trust the staff to deliver.
I booked our vacation through Virgin Holidays and flown from Gatwick on the 14 August 2013. The in flight services were good, all be it that the crew was rude, unfriendly and impolite. On arrival in Jamaica we went through the check out in Mobay (Montego Bay) with no problems whatsoever. We were then transported to the resort by mini bus, which is about an hour to 90 minutes drive from the airport. The scenery was beautiful and our Virgin travel rep was Jolene (name may be spelt incorrectly). She was polite, friendly and entertaining. For the next three weeks Jolene would take care of us and would pay regular visits to the resort to make sure things were running smoothly.
We arrived at the hotel where the staff were friendly and very efficient, checking in was quick and really simply. We were allocated room numbers 14209 and 14210 respectively. These are the honeymoon suites and YES I was impressed. These particular rooms overlooks a lovely lush green beautiful garden with various shapes and patterns (please refer to my photographs).
ROOMS – Were very clean and spacious, no broken or damaged furniture’s everything worked as they should, and the views were amazing.
MAIDS - our maid and helpful and worked to the highest quality I don't know her name but she was fantastic, helpful and very kind. Our rooms were always nicely done and each day she would make some amazing art decoration on the beds.
STAFF- I can honestly say the all the staffs with the exception of one staff member, everyone else was really helpful and polite. Each and every one of these staffs was kind and helpful and they all went the extra mile to accommodate individual needs. It was a pleasure to see people taking so much pride inside their jobs. I certainly don't love my job that much but I have some a thing or two from these guys. This resort is staffed by security and you will see them walking around in their red polo tops and black combat trousers. There guys are approachable and they are very friendly and quick to help.
In saying that I had the worst customer service imaginable from one of the girls working inside the main buffet restaurant. I think her name is Shanna Kay but I cannot be sure. She was rude and abrupt and had no respect. I don't normally complain but I had to consult a manager after the third day of the same poor customer service. This female is a morning staff that works at the rear of the restaurant to the right of the rear entrance door.
FOOD and DRINKS
There was plenty of food and drinks to suit almost any taste. The food was fantastic and most of the chefs were friendly and polite. I got on particularly well with the guys at the Jamaican restaurants who were some of the friendless and most hospitable of all the staffs.
The nigh life at this resort is very good and entertaining. The nightclub is definitely a thumbs up for me and my guest. Entertainment by the pool was always good and seems to have attracted some good crowds. There is a kids clubs at the resort and again the staffs there are very very good with the children.
OUTSIDE THE RESORT
Runaway Bay main shopping area is about a mile away from the resort. I walked to the shops on a regular basis taking all my guest and children. I am Jamaican having lived on the Island for several years; I still speak the language and know the do's and don'ts. I don't know what sort of experience you will have going out the complex but I feel much safer in Jamaica than I do in Rome or London. To see the real Jamaica you will have to leave the complex and go outside and explore. Don't go wonder off with strangers now be sensible.
My wedding was one of the best days of my life. I was quite worried because all the planning and preparation were being taken care of by the wedding department. We were concerned that things would not come together as we had hope. Well to put it simple we were wrong. What the wedding department did was simply amazing, we had the best wedding imaginable and we were over the moon. The only negative from our wedding is that we were quite disappointed with the main dinner. Again our entire guest seems to have enjoyed their meal and they were happy.
NURSE- I was unfortunate that my younger son of 6 became quite ill with fever during our visit to Jamaica. I happened to take him to the nurse but I was so disgusted with the service that I just walked out. The following day things took a turn for the worst and again I paid another visit to the doctor. The same nurse eventually saw me and I requested to see the doctor. I explain the problem that my son left eye had become quite swollen and that he was suffering with flu like symptoms. After deliberating between themselves the doctors decided that he would take a urine sample. When the results from the urine sample came back I heard them doctor discussing a lack of vitamin C. I try to discuss it with the doctor and nurse but I wasn’t given much information to assist. Following the urine sample the doctor advised me that I should take my son to the hospital to have a blood sample taken, she recommended Montego Bay General Hospital or another private unit that works in conjunction with the hospital. I questioned this, as I wanted to know the necessity of this and to know what exactly I was paying the doctor over 200 USD for. To cut a long story short the doctor and the nurse wanted to get as much money out of us as possible. If it weren’t for me questioning their actions I would have ended with a bill for over 2000 USD when all my son need was some antibiotics. I was very disappointed with the service and would advise you to watch these lots very carefully. Its no so much the doctor, she is actually ok, the nurse is the one to watch.
The Spanish nurse was rude, unsympathetic and unhelpful. She is motivated by money and is not willing to help unless you are willing to pay for the services of the doctor. In the end my bill was 295 USD and my son felt better after 4 days.
This is simply one of the best resorts on the Island. Don't let anyone discourage you, go and enjoy it and see for yourself. We have being to this resort twice, spending three weeks on each occasion. I wanted to go and try another resorts but I love this one. It’s magical, beautiful, romantic and relaxing all at the same time. Go on and enjoy Jamaica.
If you happened to book a Taxi at the hotel just asked to have Eion he is the best taxi driver on the rank.
PRIVILEGE CLUB- Avoid at all cost. These are a bunch of money hunger individuals that are not even part of the resort. It is beyond me why are allowed to kill the reputation of a great resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 lake-style connecting pools with 2 areas for children 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace with gardens, sun umbrellas and loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 2 tennis courts, volleyball court, football pitch Water activity centre Pool and beach towel service WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo 2 buffet-style main restaurants and 5 speciality restaurants 4 Bars Snack bar Entertainment amphitheatre Meeting and convention room The 18 hole Breezes Runaway golf course is just 5 minutes from the hotel. Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, sports bar and disco Rooms 848 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Sea View Junior Suite, Club Golden and Club Hacienda Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Pillowtop mattresses Fully-equipped bathroom with separate shower and hydromassage bath tub, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ventilador de techo Sitting area with sofa Balcony or terrace Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children (aged 4 to 12) will have the time of their lives with these facilities: Children's pool Special shows and activities Entertainment team Mini Club (4 - 12 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Nudist area on the beach Bahia 'au Naturel' (over 18s only) The hotel has a nudist bathing area apart from the other areas ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TravelUp, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Hotel
- Grand Bahia Jamaica
- Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Runaway Bay