“Grand Bahia Principe”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Great vacation, lots of friendly staff, food was plentiful and very tasty. rooms were spacious and clean. no complaints. like to travel to different places but will be coming back here next year. Me and my wife will bring kids next time as it is a family friendly resort. Didnt see any crazy partiers or anything that would make me not want small kids around. Drinks available at the many bars spread throughout the resort so you never had to walk far. Beach chairs were never hard to find and the snorkling was great at both beaches. Pool was nice and never overcrowded.Reservations to the restaurants were easy to get and all the restaurants serve great food although I hated missing the buffet when we went to the restaurants. We always ate at the jerk center and then the buffet lunch an hour later. Gained lots of weight and it was well worth it. Shops at the resort are said to be as good or better than taking the day trip to ocho. we bargained at the shops at the resort and got great deals. Even bought some goods from the beach vendors who arent supposed to come past the waterline. Nice people just trying to sell stuff, took them a bite to eat and a beer and heard some good stories and learned alot about the culture. Cant wait to go back to this resort again, Met some great people and had the best vacation ever and can't imagine who wouldn't give this a five star review

Room Tip: We were in room 15409, overlooks mountains in the background and lagoon view to the right. can see t...
3  Thank cody h
Ilse S, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Cody,

Thank you for your time to share your impressions with us and other potential guest.

Your words about the food, room, beach, pool, services, facilities and especially about the friendliness of the staff are appreciated and impulse us to maintain our high level of services.

We cannot wait to host you again in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Jamaica

There are newer reviews for Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had a wonderful time at the Grand Bahia of Runaway Bay! The staff was professional, courteous, and willing to go above and beyond. 7 days was not enough for me! This place is beautiful, modern, and clean. Also, very family oriented. I would not hesitate to return to the Grand Bahia. The food was great as well. I especially loved a lot of the wait staff, such as Jason at the Snack Bar with the delicious Jerk Chicken, and also Kevin and Carlos in the Buffet Dining room. I don't think this website allows me enough space to express how I feel about my vacation here! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!

Room Tip: Pool and Ocean view rooms are the best!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Khadiyah M

Dear Khadiyah,

We really appreciate your review.

Thank you for letting us know that you have had an amazing vacation with us. It is our pleasure to transmit your comments to the staff that you have kindly mentioned. Reviews like yours, push our team to try our best to achieve always the wow factor, in the same way we have achieved it with you.

We cannot wait to see you again, enjoying your family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts in Jamaica.

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Bahia Principe in Runaway bay in February 2 years ago, only just getting into trip advisor now so I thought I would write a review. Beautiful resort! Not too large, so everything is close by and within walking distance. The rooms were beautiful, large and very clean. The beach was large and the water was beautiful. The resort also had a large pool which got crowded quickly. The food was amazing, something for everyone. The staff on this resort were extremely friendly, they would go out of their way to help you. This resort was lively, the entertainment was excellent and exciting as well. I only have positive things to say about it! A few friends of mine have gone more recently and they all loved it as well. Would definitely recommend and would definitely return to visit this resort. Also the weather was beautiful the whole week!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Amandawoodman

Dear Amanda,

It is thrilling to know that you have unforgettable memories about your vacations in our hotel and you are thinking to return to us soon.

We appreciate to hear that you enjoyed the room, cleanliness, food, pool, beach, consistent weather and the friendly staff and that your friends who have visited us recently, also have enjoyed to the full our services.

We will be more than happy to host you again in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Jamaica

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed June 16, 2013

At the japanese balckie chan was soo good u need to see his show we love balckie chan. He made my vacation well my vacation went well I enjoy it very much. The room was ok relationship with the staff was good they take care of us very well. We love the jerk chicken it was soo good. Mikado the japanese was the best you get to. See mr. Balckie chan at work which you don't to miss. We love the pool. And the pool bar lol tolerance is very good we love it all

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank okacho
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us and other readers on TripAdvisor.

Your comments about the room, the friendliness of the staff, services, Jerk center, pool and a la carte restaurant "Mikado" have served to motivate even more our team.

Particularly we appreciate your words about our Chef Mr. Jermaine Neil, internationally known as Blackie Chan. We are glad to count on professionals of his level in our organization and will make sure to transmit to him all of your remarks.

We hope you will not hesitate to return to our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Jamaica.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

From arrival at the airport to scheduled "VIP" meetings which are truly timeshares to terribly overpriced lengthy trips with unprofessional guides and drivers to the foolishness of the severely overbooked rooms; the resort has become a seedy highpriced motel in what can longer be enjoyed as a tropical getaway.. The food was covered in flies frequently and mediocre at best.. We stayed here September 2011 and it was fantastic, enjoyed it so much we returned for 8 days but this time has put a terrible taste in my mouth.. the best part of the trip has been a repeat visit to the Bob Marley's Museum and even that has hidden fees now.. very disappointed with this stay and I will NEVER return, we will be canceling our membership post haste.

• Stayed: June 2013
Ilse S, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. We deeply regret that we could not reach your satisfaction during your recent stay with us and we do apologize for all the caused discomfort.

In regards with your comments about the food, let us kindly inform you that Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts is frequently audited by Cristal Americas, as well as by representatives of the Tour operators, besides of our Quality Control Coordinator. All of them assure the proper follow up on the hygiene on Food & Beverage procedures.

Nevertheless, our management will ensure to look further into your particular observations and take subsequent actions to rectify any situation.

We see you decided not to return. We sincerely would love to host you again here or in another hotel of our chain to try to turn the impressions of your last stay into a wonderful one.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Let me start off by saying that this resort is massive. One of the biggest i've been to. They own a lot of land here. Its the first time i felt like I wouldn't be able to try every restaurant, activity, or area that the hotel offers. I read in previous reviews that there was a A LOT of walking and shrugged it off but there really is a lot of walking, If you have mobility issues or can't take stairs I would NOT recommend this place. There are stairs everywhere.

This is NOT a 5 star resort. I think its safe to call it a 4 star. The things that keep this from being a 5 star I will mention below. Overall we did have a nice stay here. But i'm always honest with the little details.

OUR STATS:
> couple in late 20s.
>travelled from US JUNE 1-JUNE 6. We used Bookit.com

RIDE TO HOTEL:
we used Reggae Tours to take us. It was a little under an hour. It was $50 each way and our ride was private. Glad we chose this way as it is too far to have to wait for a bus load of people. the scenery on the way is great tho.

CHECKIN:
(THE GOOD) We got there around 4:30. Our room wasn't ready but they took our bags to this security room so we got to go eat at the outdoor buffet by the beach. When we returned to front desk, we were all set to go.

CHECKIN(THE BAD) Be prepared to seek out your own information about what the hotel provides for you. I would expect front desk to tell you EVERYTHING or atleast give you a packet of info. They only gave us info on the restaurants, tours, & map of the place. They didn't tell us about free aquatic activities that u can do here (snorkeling, boat rides, etc) I never saw anything about a room service menu...not even in our room. They don't tell u the times the pool closes that they enforce. The WIFI was brought up...but there was no info as to HOW to logon to it. I had to ask front desk later for that info.

THE ROOM:
(THE GOOD): We did not upgrade. We had no sea view. We had a standard package.So I expected a view that wasn't so great. And that's what we got. Just a view of some of the grounds. But our room was so pretty. I think it was one of the updated ones. They gave us a double even though we were a couple. Front desk never asked what kind of bed we wanted. But we didn't request either. (I would suggest you request in advanced for a special bed request. I just made sure were weren't near the disco.). Being in a double didn't bother us. We aren't big people and We were only in the room to sleep. Plus i was scared we would get a crappier room if we changed so i kept it as is. Our room was located by the lobby. Right under the lobby bar 2 floors down. Like a cave..but it was pretty cool and nice. We couldn't hear anything at night. It seemed like we were the only people on that floor so it was great! The shower pressure was great. Our jet tub worked fine. and the patio was clean. A lot of american stations on TV.

THE ROOM(THE BAD) : This resort is really weird about giving guests wash cloths. I have never in my life been to a resort that won't give guests wash cloths. I literally had to call every day for them to give us wash cloths. And if you want your room cleaned everyday...they take them and don't replace them. This was one of the most bizarre things.GIVE YOUR GUEST WASH CLOTHS!! what are we supposed to use??? ....We had a small flood in our bathroom that leaked into our room from our shower. Apparently if you stay in our shower longer than 20 mins the water seeps outside. We had to call maintenance and they came and mopped it up. Not a big deal...but it didn't shock me that this happened since I read reviews that it happened to others.

THE POOL:
the pool was great. There is a party side...a kid side...and quiet side. The pool bars are on both sides. We packed our own floats that they will blow up for you at the aquatic center. People get to the pool very early in the morning. Like before 7:30. We aren't early pool birds so getting up to save chairs is not our thing. But we usually had activities planned in the morning so we never got to the pool til the afternoon. We found chairs fine by that time. THEY DO KICK YOU OUT the pool when they are ready to treat it between 7-7:30p. This is the first time ever at an AI that i've been kicked out a pool every day. But by 7p the sun has set and it is dark by then so its not a big deal. But we stayed in the pool til close mostly everyday. We love swimming at night..but here you can't do that.

THE BEACH:
How people complain about either parts of this beach is beyond me. The rocky beach in the front people used for snorkeling or water activities. We rented snorkle gear at the aquatic center for free and snorkled at this beach with the beautiful fish to take pics of. PLEASE BRING WATER SHOES if you plan to swim at the rocky beach. The sandy beach which is quite a hike is beautiful. the water is calm. Always found a shady spot. The sand gets softer the closer you get the end.

THE FOOD:
We reserved the japanese and and the Don Pablo (french). And boy were they good. That Don Pablo had the best beef that i've ever tasted everrrrr!! The japanese hibatchi was very fun. YOU MUST reserve for restuarants. no exceptions. I've been at AI's where reserving wasn't mandatory and they would take you if there was room. But not this place. Now the buffet you can just go into....they certainly had a lot of choices. And everything I ate was well seasoned. The breakfast buffet they didn't switch up much. It becomes the same ol same ol after a while. The dinners and lunch they would tweak slightly every night. but not by much. I found the buffet to be a little too random. I would see mashed potatoes at nachos at breakfast? Too many side dishes and not enough main course at dinnertime. They did do a good job incorporating jamaican cuisine into the buffet tho. The desserts were FANTASTIC!!! i know i gained 5lbs after eating all the desserts they had to offer. I tried the jerk chicken center and while the chicken was good...it wasn't close to authentic jerk chicken. But their jerk pork was outta this world delicious!! The outdoor beach buffet was okay. Its the closest food spot when you're at the beach. They never switched up the food here either. same thing everyday.

THE ENTERTAINMENT:
The shows are at an outdoor stage. They stage their night entertainment in this town hall setup where everything is right next to each other. The disco, bars, stores, etc are in the same centre. We only saw 2 shows. One was so bad i laughed myself silly...but the Michael jackson show was pretty decent. I read that the shows weren't that good so we didn't bother with the other ones. We visited the sports bar which was good for drinks. We wen to the disco 2 nights and it was about 40% filled. I've been at AI disco where it was only 9% filled so it was nice change for us. There seems to be a lot of younger 20s -30s here so that made it nice. There are bands and singers that play at the lobby patio bar. We never stayed there but they sounded really good. That usually ended at 10pm

OVERALL:
We had a nice time here. But we aren't a very demanding couple. The only thing that really worked my nerve was the wash cloth ordeal..getting kicked out the pool at 7p..and having to seek out my own info about what the hotel offers you as a guest. Other than that i could suggest this place if you like massive resorts. I probably won't return here but still had a nice stay.

Room Tip: Request in advanced. Or request at check in. Don't expect them to choose a good room for you. Al...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Poochie167

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a detailed review about your stay in our hotel. It will certainly help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We would like to thank you for share with us the aspects of your vacation that you have enjoyed as the room, beach and pool, and the food specially at the a la carte restaurants you tried; besides of the situations you have mentioned and made you feel unsatisfied. We apologize for the inconveniences and have already taken action in order to meet our values again.

We would be honored hosting you back in our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

The resort is very beautiful, it is large and has something for everyone. The pool goes right around the front of the resort, which has a children's area, a large pool bar area that is very busy, has great music, games which are such a laugh and great atmosphere. Further along is a another large pool area that has a quieter pool bar and quieter music and is relaxed. There is a beach in front of the hotel that is good for snorkelling but further round to the left is a big sandy beach. The sea is calm and clear and is lovely for swimming. There are bars along the beach and at the far end there are a couple of stalls. They allow you to look at their goods and do not hassle you to buy and the prices are much cheaper than outside the resort. The guys working during the day at the beach bars and pool bars are great and will serve you in turn regardless of tips.
The entertainment in the evening starts around 8pm in the lobby, there are singers, musicians and steel drums. This finishes at 10pm and then there is a nightly show at the entertainment area which we always found good. Then at 11pm the karaoke bar opens which is a good laugh and nightclub opens too. The nightclub does not play any vintage reggae and is mainly aimed at the younger generation, but plenty of people sit outside and chat. As I mentioned there is something for everyone. The burger bar is open all night. You can get hot dogs or burgers with salad etc. The also have alcohol.
The food throughout the resort is of a very good standard. There is always a good variety at the buffet. The Don Pablo and Japanese restaurants are very good and the service in both these is spot on. Davon in the Japanese is very good and Ryan in Don Pablo was outstanding. We did tip for good service.
We did have a few bad experiences. Firstly my Husband went to the outside bar at the reception area and ordered a beer. He was being served when a young female went and stood next to him and got served by the same Man who promptly put my Husbands beer down at the pump and continued serving the female. After 10 mins my Husband asked for his beer and the Man pointed at the pump and my Husband had to reach over and get it himself. He felt really humiliated. Unfortunately you do not get served in turn, you will get served when they are ready or if you are waving a tip. You are ignored and treated badly at some of the bars in the EVENING not during the day.
Also in the buffet one evening it was busy and there were no tables available, so we decided to get our food and hope someone had finished by then. We went to sit at a table and a senior male told us it was occupied, he was very rude and abrupt, we went around and around with our food and eventually sat near the so called occupied table which was still empty. A group of people later arrived at the door and was immediately given the table and waited on hand and foot. We saw this happen time and time again throughout our stay and it was always the senior Staff that saved the tables for preferred customers. One morning this happened to us again, so I asked well where can we sit then and a senior female was very rude and pointed to a table but did not set it for us a give us drinks, it really does leave you feeling humiliated. I asked her if I had her name Sasha correct, then when I was on my own she came up to me demanding to know why I wanted her name. I went to reception and reported her and it was dealt with immediately. So my advice is that if you do experience bad treatment look at their name badges and report them, because it DOES get dealt with and management want to know about these issues as it is unacceptable.
The majority of staff are hardworking and treat you well but the few rude Staff spoil it for everyone.
The resort is very clean and you always see the pool being cleaned, gardens trimmed and the resort being kept tip top
We went to Ochio Rios on our own. if you walk out of the main gates there are taxis and you can make a deal of what you want to pay. He dropped us at the main tourist shopping area but if you walk down to the bottom of the street you will see all the locals stalls on your right behind fencing, it is much cheaper and better that buying from the shops.. It is safe and there are police around. You can walk to the beach, but drinks and food is expensive on the beach. Go back in town and find a locals bar for food and drink. The taxi driver took us to Mammy beach on the way back which is stunning. This cost us $40 for the day.
We did the Negril trip through Thomas Cook. when we arrived they drove us to a small resort on the beach which was nice, but we were told this is where you get your lunch and drinks. The trip itinerary did not say you are taken to one place and you have to stay there, which would mean you would not see Negril at all. So we and 4 others got a taxi into Negril's margarita Ville which is on a great long beach, the atmosphere was great, they had magic shows and music. We then walked up the beach and found a local restaurant and ate lunch there. There is loads to do and see in Negril and we all had a great time. The weather then came bad so we went back 20 mins before the agreed time to meet. Only to be met with an angry Rep who said everyone was ready to go ages before due to the weather and having nothing to do. Which makes my point of not staying there. We then went to Ricks Café which is great, the locals do dives from very high up for tips. We spent some time there and went out to have a look around, there is lots of stalls and jerk chicken which is great. We got soup for $1which was lush and the whole coach got some for the long journey back.We again found a little locals bar who welcomed us and we ate crab claws and drank Guinness with them. The are very friendly people and we were 100% safe. Beware though we saw our driver in a bar drinking beer. I was a bit worried going back with him at night as his driving was very fast and erratic. I did mention this to the rep.
Our room was very nice, AC not great, but hey you manage. YOU DO NOT HEAR OUTSIDE NOISE. The maid Claudia did a great job. We tipped her daily.
I feel anyone could go to this hotel and have a brill time and your holiday is what you make it. YEH MON

6  Thank SteveandAnna
Management response:Responded June 17, 2013

Dear Ann,

Thank you for your comprehensive review about your recent vacation in our property. It is rewarding to learn that you enjoyed our beautiful facilities, room, housekeeping services, food at a la cartes, pool and the beaches.

We are sorry that you have left our hotel not totally happy with the service; we do apologize for the situations you described and we thank you for informing us while on property. Rest assured that corrective measures have been taken and we still working harder to avoid such situations in the future.

We thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica. We would like to think that we will be afforded with the opportunity to host you again on upcoming trips to Jamaica.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!