“Mixed reveiw”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
St. John's, Canada
“Mixed reveiw”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have been south before but this was my first time in Jamaica. The hotel is a hour from the airport. We went with suneong so we traveled by bus to the resort it probably would have been better to travel privately. For check in they did us as a group we asked before travelling if we could have a king size bed room not on ground floor. We got a double bed room on ground floor. Me and my husband complained right away and they said it would take three days to fix. It was fixed but it was a hassle moving and we were still on ground floor. The a la cartes should be booked as soon as you arrive we did three grill, Italian, and the Japanese. All were good but the Japanese was excellent make sure you ask for the tapenaki table when you reserve it's a great show and it is delicious. The buffet is really good and lots of selection and lunch time you have to go to the beach for jerk chicken it's really good but spicy be careful! The pool is great but the beach is amazing. It's so big we always went to the other side of the bay next to the bar there is a game washers that's really fun. We met tons of people through the game and its great to play. Miguel was an awesome bartender and kept the good drinks coming. All in all the location makes the hotel great but it needs to do better with customer satisfaction.

Tips
Bring water shoes for dunnes river
Shopping trip is ok we went to Harley Davidson Ochos rios which is cheaper than the airport with more selection.
Good chairs go early so if you are picky wake up early to get a spot.
You will get fly bites they cannot kill all nature bring fly repellant if you do not want any.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank 83nftraveller
Ilse S, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your remarks with us. We are glad to read that you have enjoyed our food at a la carte restaurants and buffets, beach and jerk chicken at the Snack bar, house drinks, as well as the pool, which are important factors for a great stay with us. On the other hand, we regret the issues you have explained and we do apologize for the inconveniences. Rest assure that despite room requests are not guaranteed but subject to availability, we always do our maximum efforts to accommodate all our guests' requirements and wishes.

We sincerely hope that this situations do not influence your perception of overall our hotel; we are looking forward for the valuable opportunity to host you again in the future.

Social Media Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,051)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Caledonia, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

We Stayed at the GB from May 12 to May 19. We had never been to Jamaica but came here to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Our 2 boys came with us as well one being 20 the other 12. They had their own room beside ours.

l was a little worried at first after reading all the reviews up to the time of the trip. Last time we went to an all inclusive was 25 years ago on our honeymoon. We wanted this trip to be special as we were celebrating our 25th.

We were so looking forward to this vacation. Well these people with their negative reviews they were not at this resort thats for sure.

We upgraded to the Royal Golden Package which was really nice. Our room was 23503 and 23502 and the view was to die for and it was so quiet. The room it self was beautiful, clean, no bugs and our maid Kristal kept it very clean and stocked our mini bar daily and gave us extra banana chips.

Yes this is a big resort so make sure you have a good pair of shoes. But theres nothing wrong with having to walk its good for you. When your drinking and eating its the best thing you can do. So who cares if it takes you 15 minutes to get to the buffet your on vacation. No worries.

The people and staff are VERY FRIENDLY it ticked me off when l read some of them reviews. These people were probably rude to them so why should they be nice to you. Really.

The second day we were there l got abit of a burn on my shoulder. My husband was putting more sunscreen on my back and one of the life guards heard me say ouch and be careful l have a burn and he said to me l will fix you up and brought me a piece of an aloe plant and it did fix my sun burn and l was sad l didnt get his name. But these people go out of your way to make your stay special.

They do not expect you to tip so people writing things about that are wrong. They like the tip and are very grateful since they dont have alot and they dont treat you any different if you do tip or not.

On our anniversary they sent up a basket of fruit and a bottle which was really nice and the maid again did some nice art work on our bed.

Over all we had a great time and this truly is a beautiful resort and one day we will return. Thanks to all the staff for making our 25th a dream come true.

The only negative review from us is it ended next time l would stay longer.

So dont read the negative reviews just the positive ones.

Room Tip: 23 building, top floors ocean view breath taking
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Brenda O
Dear Guest,

Congratulations for your 25th Anniversary; we have felt honored to learn that our resort was chosen by you, as your holiday destination to celebrate such an important date. Thank you, for letting us know you have enjoyed your room, views, cleanliness, housekeeping services provided by Ms Kristal, food and overall the staff, services and facilities have been able to fulfill all of your expectations.

We appreciate you have decided to share your experiences with us and our TripAdvisor reviewers. On behalf of our management and staff; we are looking forward to host you again at our hotel on your next trip to Jamaica.

Yours sincerely,

Deer Lake Nl.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

This was the sixth time we have visited a Bahia Principe property (Apr. 28th-May12th) so were upgraded to club golden. Nice.
We were there to celebrate our 40th anniversary along with our family, a total of 17 of us. Our son and his family were also upgraded but our daughter and husband who were also celebrating their 10th anniversary were not even though we had emailed and had it noted on trip reservation. Thought I would know what to expect but this BP property is very different from other ones.

Pros: Some of the staff. Enjoyed meeting Dave Williams in the buffet. He really took care of us. The animation team! Rahon and Yasmoni were real sweethearts. Went out their way for us. Treated us like family and included us in the games. Also the ladies Antonio and Notoya.
Jerk centre: loooooved the chicken and nachos. The cook doing the chicken stands over that BBQ for hours. I wished I had got his name as he deserves all praise.
Marshalyn Dean: Really enjoyed dealing with you both before we left Canada and in Jamaica. Thank you for fixing some of our problems while we were there and being so nice.

Cons: Lack of communication. We were not checked in on the bus as others were. Front desk sent us to Club Golden-they sent us to front desk. Finally CG rep went to front desk and checked us in. Marshalyn Dean had assured me that 17 of us could prebook a ala carte but CG said we could not all sit together. After several trips to CG, I phoned Marshalyn and she fixed it. Same scenario when trying to get late check out. Took 3 trips that time before I got Marshalyn. I was really disappointed that the resort did nothing for our anniversary supper as other BP's would. A bottle of champagne would have been nice but Marshalyn had forewarned me.
The food. Everyone's taste is different but found there was not a lot of selection. And there are stretches of time that you can't get anything. The only thing available late is a hamburger or hot dog. Ok for one week but wears thin after. If you do a excursion and get back after 3 that is your choices as well.
The shows: again a matter of personal taste but if you look at the numbers attending you will deduce that not many enjoyed them. Just dancing and lip syncing. I would suggest sending your entertainers to other BP resorts to see what good entertainment looks like. Most have show in theatre and then local music and dancing in the square after.
The layout: Really spread out. A lot of walking. Found shortcuts but going to the lobby repeatedly was hard. For example after one week we all had to go and get our keys reprogrammed and my son had to go and get his keys reprogrammed 4 times. Irritating!!
Maid service: Our room was always cleaned but had a real hard time getting supplies for the three of us. (Ie.only given 2 towels etc.) Finally had to leave notes for the maid. Still had many days with no face cloths or bath mat. And we tipped everyday!!!! Turndown service ended the second week we were there. Not sure why but seemed like a lot of services throughout the resort went downhill the same day. Maybe layoffs?
The photographer: The most unprofessional employee I ever met. I arranged to get pics of us all. She seemed out of her element with such a crowd and of getting help tried to it on her own and got upset when a suggestion was made. We were not given a choice of pics to buy-she chose them and they were terrible. Instead of arranging to redo them she just wrote us off. Too bad. With 17 of us they could have made a bit of money.
Would we return? If the price was right, maybe. But would not be our first choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ilse S, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us and for your loyalty to our hotel chain all these years. We have felt privileged to have been able to host you and it is with regret that we have learnt you left our property not totally happy. We apologize wholeheartedly for not meeting your expectations and for all the inconveniences you have pointed out.

We are in the business to bring an enjoyable, unforgettable experience to all of our guests. We accomplish this most of the time. The few times that we do encounter an unhappy guest we address the issue immediately and turn the challenge into an opportunity. That is why we would have been only too thrilled if you decide to give us the opportunity to host you again and provide you an amazing vacation.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Upon my arrival to my room it was immediately noted the untidiness of the room. Items noted were the floor, bathroom shower area, and toilet area. The shower and toilet areas had a lot of mildew and stains on the tile. Later in the night, a housekeeper came and literally got down on her hands and scrubbed the shower and toilet areas. It was later discovered that holes were in the shower area ceiling (One was pretty big). I saw a Property Mgr who called the Maintenance Dept (He was speaking in his language, not English)..Shortly thereafter, this is when Maintenance came and did not properly patch the area. The next day, this was brought to the public relations Mgr attention. Later, Maintenance arrived again and Housekeeping mopped the entire floor. What did Maintenance do? Instead of replacing the boards that were worn, he patched them. I asked for a room change the 1st day, upon arrival, and was told by the front desk that no rooms were available. The next day, when speaking with public relations, she advised that a move might be possible. At that time I advised her that in addition to housekeeping, I had sanitized the entire room as well with "Clorox to Go" and wipes that I travel with. (thank goodness I had these with me) and felt comfortable that the room was sanitized and I did not feel like doing this to another room so I stayed put. I have been advised that this issue will be taken up with a higher souce. Can you imagine renting a room, and the ceiling has holes...easy for someone to slip a tiny camera and expose a person. In my opionion, the Mgr I spoke with should have followed up as I adivsied him of my concerns and of the fact that I had traveled alone. This is a 2007 property. Why are the rooms in such a mess. The ceiling in the bathroom areas need to be replaced. It looks to be some type of wood. I realize, you all are in business to make a profit, but those rooms could all use a deep cleaning as I never felt clean until sanitizing the place. That is like the buffet..I never felt the silverware was clean. I enjoyed the Grill restaurant (except for the extreme heat) and it was obvious that the sliverware was extremely clean. It was great that paper cups were available as I never trusted the cleanliness of the glasses. Please fix the ceilings in all the rooms and give the entire deep cleanig as the housekeeping dept sucks. My name is not included here but you can speak with public relations and reference room ending in 307. (located past the receptionist desk). You can also reference the Manager I spoke with. I could honestly not recommend this place to anyone as I was not satisfied with the Maintenance nor upkeep(housekeeping) of the guest rooms.
All I can say is "Really?" This having been my 5th time in Jamaica, the staff here was not as friendly and courteous as what I have experienced in the past. I could go on and on but more importantly than anything to me is the lack of cleanliness, and sanitation in the rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Demit522
Ilse S, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to acknowledge that we have received your comments about your recent stay. We deeply regret to learn that we have not been able to accomplish all your expectations; we do apologize for all the inconveniences. Concerning the conditions of the rooms, we would like to kindly inform you that all our rooms are subject to a very strict supervision before getting occupied. Maintenance together with the housekeeping department follow established procedures, which are carried out daily. Additionally, the Tour Operators use to monitor frequently the rooms as well as all the hotel areas. Please, allow us also to mention that Bahía Príncipe Jamaica has a consultant with Cristal America Consulting - Check Safety Group, which on a frequent basis, audits our Hotels in all Hygiene and Sanitary procedures. Nevertheless, we are taking note of all your observations and we will make sure to transmit them to related departments to be taken into consideration.

We are in the business to bring an enjoyable, unforgettable experience to all of our guests. The few times that we do encounter an unhappy guest we address the issue immediately and turn the challenge into an opportunity to refine our services.

Thank you very much for vacationing with us,

Yours respectfully

Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed at the Grand Bahia on May 9 through May 17. We up graded to the Don Pablo section at the time of booking. We both feel that it was totally worth it. We were placed in the new building section 24. The rooms are large, new and beautiful. We had a corner room with an L-shaped balcony facing the mountains and the ocean. The view was awesome!

One of the many benefits of the upgrade was checking in at a private lounge. In the lounge we were offered champagne and warm washcloths after our long flight. We were also given our unlimited a la carte reservations which were already booked for us. This was so much nicer than waiting in line early in the morning only to find the restaurants we wanted to go to were booked or given an unfavorable dining time.

We enjoyed all of the restaurants, especially the Don Pablo and the Mikado-Tepanyaki Grill side. The servers were really friendly and funny at all of the restaurants, excluding the Dolce Vita Italian restaurant. Our server was really cold which made me a little uncomfortable. The salmon was good though.

We were also given a private area at the pool with drink service. The loungers were comfortable and my fiancé could always find a chair in the shade. We didn't hang out there a lot because it was the "quiet" end of the winding pools. I prefer something more lively. We usually travel during spring break and encounter a crazier party crowd. This was not the case at this resort. There were mainly families with toddlers or older people. We did check out the disco one night and it was packed.

The beach area in front of the hotel is very pebbly but good for snorkeling. Down farther past the jerk chicken shack (YUM!) the sand is much nicer. The water in the bay was incredibly warm!

I would also recommend using a private transfer. This was our second trip to Jamaica. The first time we used the bus transfer service that was included in our package. We waited hours at the airport for the bus to fill before the driver could leave. This time our driver was waiting for us at the exit. It was less than an hour drive to the resort and he let us stop at Scotchie's for some jerk pork and chicken on the way. Each way our driver was good conversationalist and very informed about the island. We used Island Pride Transfers.

We really enjoyed our vacation. It is a beautiful resort!

Room Tip: We had room 24501. Building 24, 5th floor, room 01. Great view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We deeply appreciate you have let us know that you have enjoyed your room, spacious balcony and view, private check-in and check-out, food at a la carte restaurants, Jerk chicken at the Snack bar, snorkeling, the beach and overall the services provided by our staff. We thank you, as well for your observations; we will forward them to the related departments' heads to take them into account.

Thank you for choosing our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica as your holiday destination; we are already looking forward for the valuable opportunity to host you again on your next trip to Jamaica.

Yours sincerely,

New York City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Came here for 6 days 5 nights 5/11-5/16 with my bf. We heard great things about the food and atmosphere from several friends that had visited years ago. Unfortunately we won't come back here ever again and won't recommend it to anyone after our experiences.

I typed up so much details about our experience but trip advisor's webpage froze on me and I had to restart. Below will be a very short review now.

Room Situation:
-had checked in late due to a delayed flight. it took the cab driver 1 hour to get to the resort. once we got to the resort we had to wait another 45 minutes because the original room we were going to receive which was i believe 13715 had a leak in it. why didn't the staff know about this before we arrived? we were already a hour late to check in. Kamar was the front desk person that helped us.
-Our new room 22701 was on the far right end of the resort where it was quiet until you hear banging from the staffs carts when they cleaned rooms or room service and the chatting of the staff by our room because we were by the elevator and stairs.
-tile floors outside our rooms so when the staff pushed their carts we heard it rumbling. this happened every morning and night. also what is that loud BOOM sound I hear? the echoes of carts banging into the double doors on the first floor to the staff area? we were located on the 7th floor which was the highest.
-elevator to 22701 was the slowest of them all. it took 15 seconds for the doors to close each time.
-staff have their own elevators so why use the guest ones blocking up the whole elevator with your carts?
-our showers drain was clogged the first night, second night it didn't have hot water.
-our bed cover had orange spots. was it rust or blood from previous uses? GROSS!
-roaches in the bathroom and found one in the bedroom. i understand this is a tropical island but does the staff do anything to prevent any of this?
-mosquito's were found, had to kill about 5. more come in when house keeping comes in to make the beds and restock the fridge.
-fridge won't be restocked unless you leave tips. i read this on others reviews and tested it out. this is true. 1 day i didn't leave a tip and the fridge wasn't restocked, also they took our hand towels away which was hanging on the rack.
-the rooms look exactly the way it does in the pictures. our balcony was small compared to the others we saw. if you want a better tv in your room and better service you can upgrade to "Don Pablo" for $25 a night. to me this wasn't worth the $.
-ceilings had major cracks in them.
-lighting is very dim in the rooms

Food:
-bf had food poisoning from eating the sushi appetizer at Mikaido the Japanese restaurant. his stomach was hurting and had major gas, diarrhea and felt like throwing up for the 4 days out of 6 we were there. we complained to Marshalyte at customer service but they didn't do anything but to note it in their system. she said no one else had complained but us. well geez lady it's not like we were lying about being sick! all she said we can do was go to the nurse but we will be charged $30 since it was a separate entity from the resort. shame on you! we got sick at your resort and you guys couldn't even offer to pay for a trip to the nurse? not even offering anything else?
-Don Pablo a la carte we ate this on our last night and wished we had this the first night. The food was delicious, EVERY SINGLE DISH. Dexton our waiter was also great and funny. We love him and hope you guys have him. we ordered cream of mushroom soup, crispy shrimp, steak & chocolate ganache cake.
-buffet. there is a small one and a large one. small one is located near the far right end of the resort and is only open for breakfast and lunch. the selections are smaller but similar to the big buffet. the servers are more attentive at this one since it was never busy. the big buffet you had to almost flag someone down to get your drink orders in or ask for more napkins/utensils. the food wasn't great and we are definitely not picky eaters. mash potatoes were bland, pasta not much flavor, some of the pork was really dry. the breakfast buffet had a omelette station where a chef cooks for you, the omelettes were huge but DRY. the selection of things to put into your omelette wasn't a lot. every night was a different venue of food. we loved the sausages a lot and forcaccia bread was delicious. unfortunately the drinks in the machines were not cold. there wasn't even any ice for us to put in our glasses unless we asked the server every time. i thought this was annoying and unnecessary.
-beach snack bar/jerk center: oxtail stew was great. jerk chicken and pork from the center was amazing. be sure to go to the jerk center early around noon-1 before the food runs out. the cook deserves all the tips he can get. he stands out in the heat in his chef outfit over the open bbq pits every day serving you.

Pool:
-it's true people wake up at the crack of dawn just to leave there towels on the chairs to "reserve" their spots under the huts and cabanas while they went back to bed, ate or went to an excursion. i learned this the 2nd day we were at the pool. i woke up at 9 to do mine and found a great spot. one day i got out there at 10:30 and those spots under the shades were all taken. the sun is no joke here so bring sunscreen and aloe. the "don pablo" exclusive had their own section and had better beach chairs no one to fight with.
-the beach which is man made had a lot of empty seats if you like the beach. i don't so i stayed by the pool. the beach is pretty long since it kind of wraps around, has a nude section, public section and "exclusive" sections.
-swim up bars i love. Garnett was funny and a cool guy. Shanna-Kay wasn't so friendly until we gave her some tips. she really appreciated them.

Shopping:
- the shopping center is passed the beach snack bar. it is on top the kids area where you have to take the stairs up. when we go to the top it looked so empty and dead. the stores were all opened but doors closed because the AC was on. it was a typical souvenir shop. this area also has the sports bar, club, karaoke, burger joint opened from 11pm-6am and a pharmacy where we had to buy medicine for my bfs stomach problem.

Tips:
-bring a big souvenir mug that keeps your drinks cold. everyone i saw had one but bought it from the gift shops. they ranged from $10-$18. the bartenders will refill them and wash them out for you. these are great to also keep bugs and dirt out. our drinks in the plastic cups melted so fast.
-bring tips for the servers and maids and staff. they work hard and deserve it. some may not be so friendly in general but we didn't tip those.
-bring water shoes if you go to dunns river or activity with water and climbing.
-BBC is a drink like a dirty monkey made with rum, some other alcohol and a banana. Smoothie like
-Miami Vice drink is pina colada and strawberry daiquiri with rum. they may call it a Jamaican sunset.
-Hummingbird or as Garnett called it a Cherry Secret is another smoothie like alcoholic drink with a cherry flavor.
-ask for a room away from the elevator, high floor.
-book your a la carte restaurant before you arrive via email and make sure they confirm and give you a confirmation #. bring that confirmation # with you the day you arrive to reconfirm with them.
-wifi free in the lobby bar area. there is another bar indoors by the lobby with bathrooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fjy_nyc
Dear Guest,

We would like to acknowledge that we have received the comprehensive assessment of your experiences published on TripAdvisor. We appreciate to learn you have enjoyed the pool bars, Don Pablo restaurant and jerks at the Snack bar. On the contrary, we sincerely regret the fact that you left our property unhappy and we extend our sincerest apologies for all the inconveniences you have reported. It is always concerning when a guest is not completely satisfied with our performance, however, we would like to point out Bahia Principe Clubs & Resorts works with an external company called Cristal Americas, world leader in the implementation of effective systems for environmental, health and safety related risk management and it is member of the Check Safety First Group; which on a frequent basis audits our hotels in all Hygiene and Sanitary procedures.

Nevertheless, we have valued your comments about your particular experiences that alert us to increase even more the measures aimed to avoid similar situations in the future.

Thank you for vacationing with us.

Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed in 12-505: My stay was enjoyable. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The food was good but there was lots of local foods in the dining room which I couldn't enjoy so on evenings for dinner I was restricted to just a few items that I knew and could to eat. A place that has a guest list of 99% foreigners, I would think the dining room will have food for the foreigners and not for the locals that understand and know the foods on the buffets.
The snack bar was great they had food for all crowd but they are open only for 1 meal with a buffet (lunch).
Very disappointing for my husband and I being on vacation. We were asked to take part in a presentation and was told there are no obligation to purchase anything, we were told we will be treated to a complementary VIP breakfast and after the presentation we will get a welcome bag. So the morning of the presentation we met with the staff. There was no VIP complimentary breakfast we joined the dining room and enjoyed the breakfast we paid for in our package. Then after breakfast we were taken to the office where we met the representative who wanted us to invest into the hotel. We were given a price of $37,000.00 then my husband was not comfortable with this deal. I then explain I like it but my husband is not comfortable then he worked up a deal for $14,000.00 still my husband was not comfortable and the guy that was dealing with us got aggressive saying he couldn't understand why we couldn't make a dissension. I ask when do we have to pay the fees, his reply was to use our VISA or Master card. I said to the guy that we are on vacation and whenever we go on vacation I always travel with a VISA and a Master card which has $1,000.00 each and cash of $400.00 us.
His great advice was to have our family member wire this money to us. I ask the guy if we can get time to think of this, his reply was “this is a 1 time offer” and we have to make a decision now or louse out. I left telling them that I think it is not ethical for them to pressure their guest while on HOLIDAY to spend any sum of money without researching the investments and making a determination as to if it is something they really want. I left and they never give me the welcome bag that was promised to me.
Very disappointed in the actions of the Hotel Owners towards all their paying guests

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
PrivilegeClub, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Ria W,

On behalf Bahia Principe Privilege Club I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review about your experience with the Privilege Club.

First, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica. It is always concerning when guests are not satisfied with the exchange with the Club representatives.

Observations such as yours allow us to constantly improve and better our strategies for potential vacation owners.

Should you have additional concerns please write us at customerservice@bppclub.com

Stephany Tavarez
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#17 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,295 reviews

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!