“Loved it”

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Just got back on sunday and i have to say that my stay at this hotel was great the whole vibe of the hotel was great from the staff to the entertainment music plenty of reggae music playing giving you a nice vibe of jamaica. Having recently been disappointed with the Jamaica grande last year this hotel was a big improvement for me. The only thing I had an issue with was our room as they us a king size bed and not two double beds as I went with my sister, but they change us straight away which was a better room with a better balcony view. One suggestion is you should work out the short cuts around the hotel it be will much easier this hotel is very big. Oh may I suggest you book club mobay VIP lounge when leaving jamaica it is lovely it makes your departure much more pleasant you are express through customs snacks are provided and cocktails while you wait also you can have a shower spa all before your flight back home. Lovely

Room Tip: Don't take the first room allocated unless its great
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HeatherDainty
Ilse S, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your remarks with us and our reviewers on TripAdvisor. It is rewarding to learn that you have appreciated a true Jamaican atmosphere on our property and you have enjoyed your room, view, the music, entertainment and overall our services. Thank you for your suggestion about the short cuts, we will transmit your words to the related department to take them into account.

Thank you again for your words and for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica; we expect to see you again at our resort on your upcoming trip to Jamaica.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is my 4th trip to Jamaica. 1st time to Bahia. We were in Room 13516. Great view of pool and water. Room was not what I would expect. Bathrooms were not kept up well falling apart. We paid to be in the Golden Club Suites. As others have said when we got there our towels were not in room for the Pool like they were supposed to be. No Big deal right. So we went down to the towel hut to get them like everyone else but the towel guy was insistant that they should have been in room. After 5 min conversation we did get them from him. I also did not feel we got any better service than if we were in regular room. We liked a Drink they called the Jamaica Smile. Bartender made it for us on the first day. Then all of a sudden they said they were not aloud to make them anymore. Really!! Although the Pool and Beach were great and Food ok. Except for the Jerk Chicken which was amazing I do not think I would return to the Bahia. The Golden Club employees that you see when you check in and for any other issues were not that welcoming we felt like we were always bothering them. Also like others have said I do not feel the front desk staff were very nice either. We did however love love love the entertainment people they were always happy and great!!! I am usually not a complainer on trips but Bahia you need to work on your Hotel Rooms!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Ilse S, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your remarks. Thank you for letting us know that you have had overall a great time and you have enjoyed the beach, pool and Jerk chicken at the Snack Bar. It is with regret that we have learnt you left our property not totally happy and we do apologize for all the inconveniences you have brought to our attention. We will transmit your concerns to the related departments' heads to take the appropriated measures to avoid these situations.

Thank you, for vacationing at our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica.

Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from our holiday - wedding - honeymoon at this fabulous resort! We loved everything, we wouldn't change a thing! Do not listen to the people on here that have found something to complain about that's ridiculous!! The hotel is spotless food fantastic! All staff are great! Didn't see a single cockroach at all!!! The wedding went without the slightest hitch and was terrific, we can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank ajxLancs

Dear Guest,

We are grateful to learn that you have had an amazing wedding-honeymoon at our hotel; it is thrilling to see that we have been accomplished all of your expectations and you have enjoyed the property, cleanliness, food, the wedding ceremony and overall all your experience.

Thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica; we are already looking forward to host you on your upcoming vacation.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were part of a big group that went here early may for a wedding. Approx hour and 20 mins is what it took us to get here from the airport. Check in was very smooth, before you knew it we were in our room unpacking. Food was good overall, lunch at the beach where you get the jerk chicken was incredible. There is two beaches here, one small and rocky is where you want to do the snorkelling. Water shoes aren't required but would have came in handy. There is still a couple of places you can enter the snorkelling water area without shoes. Then there's the big beach that you would use for everything else. Although the snorkelling is good out from the big beach I found a few days the current pretty strong out past the roped off section.
I recall reading reviews where people complained the beach was small and rocky, find it a bit amusing they never got to see the actual nice beach.

Room was spacious, we were in building 15, facing the nightly shows it was a bit noisy a couple nights since it was also close to the disco. So you get a few rowdys yelling through the night. Rooms were also clean. On three occasions around 515-545 pm, while showering we actually lost all water for approx 10 minutes. Obviously a popular shower time. The major point that seems this resort lacks is proper functioning air conditioning units. In our group of 50 probably half the rooms had problem a.c units.

Workers here were very friendly, some of the nicest we have ever met at resorts.

Nightly entertainment was ok, a bit disappointed in the micheal Jackson show after seeing it a few times at other resorts. And always looking forward to making it to that specific show.

Didn't feel tipping made a big difference, sometimes all we had was a buck or two on us and that seemed to be appreciated a lot.

The layout of the resort is done very well. I recently stayed in a similar sized resort and was easy to tell the layout here was well thought out before being built. Probably a 5-7 minute walk for anything on the resort. And that's at a slower pace.

Our friends paid the $40 for the wifi in their room and could actually get the connection on the first half of the beach.

A la Cartes we tried was Japanese, which the night we were there the chef was very late and you could tell he wanted to get out of there. Which is what he did. We have seen how this Japanese meal should be prepared and also the interaction the chef should have done. It was kind of awkward the mood he was in. No interaction, no big flames, no being funny....just in, cook, and gone. Where he was late we also had to move our meal out to another table to prepare for the next round of guests. The grill a la carte was good,also the Spanish was good. Small portions by North American standards but with all the courses we left full.

This resort was 90% Canadians, where we heard Riu would be mostly Americans while we were there. Loved the fact Canada was well represented here at this resort.

There was a few dishes a Jamaican friend said we have to try while there which we found them all but two at the buffet or beach buffet. Jerk chicken, ox tail, and curry goat i forget the names of the two we didnt see. They were all very good.

Air Canada vacations at this resort also is impressive. I.e get the live cooking Japanese included, 4 a la Carter's, safe is included..etc. we would love to book with them always from here on out.

I believe if you can't enjoy your stay here it has most to do with you and very little to do with the resort.
I would return to this resort in a heartbeat, without question.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank z24pride
Ilse S, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

We thank very much you for sharing with us the comprehensive assessment of your experiences at our hotel. We appreciate your kind words about the quick check-in, food at the buffets, overall a la cartes, beach and snorkeling, spacious rooms, friendly staff and the beauty of the resort and its layout. We also thank you for letting us know the aspects that you have disliked; thank you for your collaboration and for helping us to refine our services.

We are already looking forward to host you again on your upcoming Jamaican vacation.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is my 2nd trip to Jamaica in 28 yrs, the first was in Ocho Rios and our 2nd at the lovely Grand Bahia. You arrive to a wonderful open lobby with smiling faces and gracious attitudes. Our room was ready and waiting. The room was a beach view with a balcony over looking the pool side. The only bad thing I can say about the room was the mildew smell but being in the Caribbean I am sure it is hard to not have this smell and the other thing our bath had a large chip in it and didn't look very clean, needless to say we stuck to showers.Our maid service was excellent we were greeted with flower petals and towel hearts daily on our bed our maid's name was TeMarie. We ate daily at the Orchids buffet which was included with our stay I have to say the wait staff was excellent even at a buffet they still got our water, coffee and juice for us and the glasses were never empty. Plates were cleared off as soon as they were set aside. We had one wonderful young man server named Garmel. He greeted us every morning with his wonderful smile and the love of his job even if it is waiting on strangers. I asked him to come home with me to WI he said he would love too..that is how kind he was, I mean anyone wanting to come to WI from Jamaica? :)
A couple of things that I didn't like about the hotel was they never told us there was another shopping area on the Grand Bahia Hotel property we dicovered it just on a walk we took around the place but it was too late because I had already made most of my purchases in the hotel shops. I the other shops were much more reasonably priced and the were willing to bargin on items where in the hotel it was what was listed on the price tag. I did get a chance to talk to all of the upper shop owners and they were frustrated that we weren't even told about them. There is also a disco, sports bar and and outdoor music venue up where these shops were located so it was a wonderful find and I hope once you read this review and go here you will check out the outer shops and bars.
Another complaint I have is there is no bar service down on the beach, my husband and I spent all our time on the beach because it was much more quiet and we were here to relax. But when you have to get up and walk a long way to get a cocktail through the sand and hot cememt you end up bring back 3 drinks each time so you don't have to keep walking up there. I think if they offered a waiter service to the beach it would improve the hotel and the wait staff would be making tips on top of their wages. As part of the inclusive package you get to try 3 of the other restaurants (not buffets) however, we tried 4 times to get reservations and could not get them. Either the computes were down, or we came at the wrong time to make reservations even though they were sitting there with the computers open.So even though it is part of the package I feel they make it too hard for you to try out the other restaurants so a lot of people just gave up and stuck with The Orchid buffet which was just fine with me.
The is no bus service into other towns around the hotel unless you were going to do a tour to Ocho Rios or Negril. I wanted to go to other parishes (towns) to explore and see how the people of Jamaica live where they go to school and shop but nothing was available for this.

I would say if you want a wonderful place to stay, with very clean rooms and hotel great pools and a wonderul beach for relaxing or snorkling the Grand Bahia is for you! I give this hotel a 4 out of 5 rating!

Enjoy Jamaica and its people they are both lovely.

Room Tip: Seaside view with balconies are wonderful and the balcony is huge. Nice place to sit and read at nig...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. It is a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that you appreciated the friendliness of our staff, housekeeping services, beach, snorkeling and the pool. We also value that you have commented about your observations to our operation and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have had. We will make sure to forward your comments to related departments to take all of them into account.

Thank you for choosing our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica. We sincerely hope, that we will be afforded with the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I always read tripadvisor reviews prior to travelling as I rely on the information to make educated decisions as to where to stay or what to expect from different resorts & locations. Grand Bahia Jamaica is no different. I also need to preface this with the fact I am a seasoned travellor, I know you get what you pay for, so I love to travel to high star resorts that are reasonably priced. Also, I don't drink, so the running joke is I might have observed some things other's didnt simply because I didn't have my beer goggles on. Keep in mind, when I travel, I don't expect the Ritz or a "lifestyles of the rich & famous" type vacation, but I do have certain standards when booking a 4.5 star or higher resort. If I want "comfortable, fun, party time" I book 3.5 or a 4 star for the cheaper cost. If I want high quality and I am willing to pay for it, you have no choice but to look at the stars. That being said, THIS IS NOT A 5 STAR RESORT!!! Not even close, so keep that in mind if you are paying full price or extra to upgrade & get oceanview or the Don Pablo suites. We got an amazing deal (discount) through Westjet so I can't complain but I heard of other couples spending lots to upgrade their suites, to get oceanview rooms, and really, they didn't get any different service or views then we had. One family of 4 paid $7200 for two weeks... trust me, they didn't get their money's worth.
The following is our review of the resort with all the good and bad and HONEST comments for our stay at the Grand Bahia Principe from May 9th - May 16th:

The Good -
1) The grounds were beautiful & extremely well kept. They were always maintaining the grounds, cleaning, and keeping the place looking beautiful on the outside.
2) The animation staff were fantastic & worked their bums off to keep everyone entertained & active. Kudos to my girl Notoya, Antonio, Rohan, Keith, Oshane, Donovan, and all the others who kept us laughing & busy each and every day.
3) The food was great & there was always a variety of options and choices. As someone who tries to eat naturally & borderline vegetarian, they had options to please everyone. I never had a problem finding something to eat & whether it was at the buffets, a la cartes, or even the lobby snack table, the food was good & plentiful. My partner who loves all his processed food, deserts, and meats was in heaven!
4) Our room was 18324 - it was perfect and overlooked the ocean. It was an awesome view to wake up to every morning. Anything in building 18 is still close to the ocean & beach but also to the ammenities so it was easy for us to get around.
5) Keisha, our Westjet rep, made herself available at all times. She was quick & prompt to deal with any & all of our issues at the hotel, & even went out of her way to get my partner cigarettes when our plane was held over an extra day due to issues. She ensured that despite the limitations & flaws of the hotel, our vacation was a worthwhile & pleasant experience. Marlene, her JTL (the adventure agent) was helpful as well.

The Bad -
1) Ok brace yourself for this one... I apologize if this offends anyone but it has to be said... COCKROACHES IN THE ROOMS & RESTAURANT. Not one person has mentioned this in any of the other reviews I have read prior to leaving, nor since I got back. Now I know I am in a hot tropical country so a few are to be expected. However, we had them in our room & thankfully the maid left us a can of raid to help combat the problem (I DID NOT want to bring them home with us to Canada). So a few in the room could have been easily been overlooked (although it was more then a few) but then we went for dinner at the Japanese restaurant they appeared again. While we were sitting at the display table waiting for our chef to arrive, my partner looked down and saw 2 cockroaches crawl out of his placemat and make a run for it. This was followed by another one crawling across the top of the counter running towards the family beside us. He acted quickly to make them disappear but trust me, it was not an "appetizing" experience & it took everything I had in me to stop him from storming out as I did not want to make a scene. I just wish I had known this prior to going as I would have had different expectations OR at least inform those who want to pay extra to consider this prior to booking their trip. I confirmed with several other couples they had cockroaches in the same building as us & on the other side of the resort in the upgrade rooms. So they are throughout the hotel & not localized to one spot.
2) Too many paid extras - it costs for your safe, it costs for premium liquor, and yes, unfortunately you have to tip to get service. I am someone that does tip my servers so I didn't have to worry as much but for those who book an all inclusive to be able to go and put their purse away, expecting great service just isn't going to happen. I gave a bigger tip on the first day that my room was cleaned & smaller tips throughout the week until the last day and all we got was one single towel "animal" (on the first day). The funny part is, I never really cared about them or noticed until I realized we weren't getting them. It was quite funny coming into my room each day with just a made bed and nothing else. This has never happened at any other resort I have ever stayed in.
3) The service I received from the servers was fantastic both in the restaurants & at the bars but the front desk staff were absolutely rude & at times ignorant. As I work in a service based industry, I find it funny that your front line staff (the ones that tourists come into contact with first) were the ones ones who treated people the worse. They wouldn't answer questions, they would ignore you or walk away, service was slow or non existent and I felt I was an inconvenience to them when I would ask a simple question. One guest told me she went to deal with some of her isuses and the girl walked away and left standing there for 45 minutes mid-conversation.
4) I have previously read the issues of pool chairs & found it wasn't too hard to get one if you looked around. However, they truly need more shaded areas around the pool for people. As a fair skinned red head who bursts into flames once the sunlight touches my skin, it was hard to figure out away to hide from the direct sun while still trying to partake in the activities arond the pool. Once again, I got to compare this hotel to the Hilton Rose Hall due to circumstances & at least at that resort there was plenty of trees & umbrellas to get out of the sun when needed. Just a few more umbrellas available out on the pool deck at the Bahia could easily solve this problem.

The ok-
1) The rooms are ok but they could use some work or touchups. Tiles are chipped, roof panels are missing or broken, some rooms didn't have bathroom doors, carpet is messy, stained, and has burn holes, issues with the showers & tubs. Keep in mind these resorts were built in 2005 so they are newer then some of the other ones I have been in at other countries. Again NOT 5 Star! Because of a delayed flight going home, Westjet put us in the Hilton Rose Hall. The rooms were immaculate & the bathrooms were really nice compared to the Grand Bahia. I checked once I was home & the Hilton is only a 4 Star yet far superior then the Grand Bahia... so again, gage this when you book & consider the price you are willing to pay.
2) Every room would have a good view except a few so to pay extra for it wouldn't make sense. The "extras" you get with an upgrade - the safe, the wifi, the turndown service, really doesn't compensate considering you don't really get any special access or features, the service is hit or miss, so why not pay regular price & still enjoy. As a side note, because of the problems we had, they "upgraded" our room to the nightly fold down service & brought a food basket to the room. Really it just meant someone came in to fold down my sheets & I spent the rest of the time trying to figure out how to get rid of food out of a room that already had bugs... so not an upgrade I found beneficial.
3) There was lots of walking but no different then any of the resorts I've stayed in Mexico. The stairs were a bit of a pain and I could see mobility issues for anyone one in wheelchairs (it would be hard to get around easily) but for me it was great as I managed to spend a week, eat what I want, & still come home without gaining wait. It is a great resort for staying active but for those who don't want to be active, I could see them not liking it.
4) For those who want it, the weed is everywhere. Be prepared to hear, see, & smell it. I'm not someone who partakes & I met a few families with kids who found it concerning but when in Rome... it's part of the local culture so it's something you have to suck up & accept. However, it does get annoying how many times you get approached while you are there, especially my partner who is a bigger guy with tattoos. It was like he was a magnet. But if you do tell them no, they won't harrass you & they do walk away.
5) The nightly entertainment wasn't the best I've seen. It lacked the "production" value I have found at most resorts in Cuba, Dominican, or Mexico. Although the dancers were good, the actual shows were often just a taped commentary with the dancing in-between. It was the shows where the animation crew particpated & engaged the audience that that truly were the good shows.

As an overall, I wasn't impressed with the quality of this resort but due to the animation crew, the outdoor facilities, and the amazing staff & service, they really did make it a pleasurable vacation. It's not a 5 star but it is a good 4 star or slightly less. As long this is reflected in the price I am paying, I would be more then happy to go back. I would recommend this resort for a younger crowd who wants to enjoy themselves & really don't care about the "details".

Room Tip: Building 18 is great for being close to the ocean but still close enough to walk to the pool/buffet...
6  Thank Sheri C

Dear Guest,

We would like to acknowledge that we have received your review published on TripAdvisor. It is rewarding to learn that you have enjoyed the food, beautiful resort and its layout, the professionalism of our entertainers, spacious rooms, amazing views and the friendliness and hospitality of the staff.

We have also carefully read your observations. We would like to kindly inform you, in reference to the room, the Maintenance & Housekeeping departments follow established procedures and the rooms are subject to a very strict daily supervision. However, we will look daily for ways to improve this service. Please note, regarding to your remarks about the insects that Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts has a consultant with an international and well-known company named Cristal Americas, which on a frequent basis audits our hotels in all Hygiene and Sanitary procedures. We can assure you that rigorous programs of fumigation are carried out as our compromise to address this kind of issue and corrective measures are constantly taken by Pest Control in that sense, as well as by our management. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences that you have had in all sense. In regards with other issues that you have mentioned, rest assured that we are making an investigation on that matter.

Thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica; it is thrilling to know that you have enjoyed your stay and you would like to return to our hotel; we will be more than happy to host you again on your upcoming Jamaican vacation.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Let me start by saying I have been to Cuba, Dominican and now Jamaica and Jamaica was by far my favourite.

The hotel itself is beautiful, the outside of it is gorgeous it doesn't look like any other hotel. The pool is massive, the trees and flowers are gorgeous, the rooms are a bit dated but who cares.

The staff is awesome here, all the entertainment staff by the pool, rohan and the rest are hilarious they will make you laugh and participate. The bartenders are lovely, shout out to Allwayne at the lobby bar, he was super friendly there was also another man who made killer peach daiquiries. Shout outs to Shanay at the sweets section in the buffet, she makes fresh churros and other goodies in the evening, shes so sweet. The staff works very hard here, people can't say this hotel isn't maintained well we saw people painting everyday, trimming hedges, scrubbing the pool tiles, picking up garbage, fixing the roofs etc. Our maid was awesome, we never found out her name but on the days we chose not to have our room cleaned she left us fresh towels and water outside of our room.

We had room 21601 thank you so much Marshalyn Dean and Kerry Ann Seaton. You guys were very very accomodating. This room was AWESOME it was a corner suite overlooking the ocean and pool and it was on the highest floor. We LOVED our room, If I come back I want this room again, we had an amazing time. Pay for OCEAN VIEW, you will not regret it. We could see all the weddings that happened everyday and the sunset.

The pool is awesome the beach is gorgeous. We are beach people, when we saw this beach we were so happy. The top of the beach is sandy and when you walk in it is a bit pebbley but when your in its the softest sand ever. The water is crystal clear its a blue-green color, it was amazing. Super warm water. The pool is sooooo big, I am not kidding. We spent a lot of time in the middle pools and in all our pics you'll notice theres only about 1 or 2 people in each picture in the background. Thats how big our pool was. It was so refreshing. My only complaint is there isn't a lot of staires around the pool, each pool should have staires but oh well, I don't use the staires anyways but for people who need them. The beach infront of the hotel is for snorkelling, don't swim there we saw plenty of sea urchents, lots of different kinds of fish, someone we met said they saw a stingray. Bring a waterproof camera, its awesome. We always got 4 chairs by the pool or on the beach with no problems.

The food was ok, much better than Cuba or D.R for sure. The jerk chicken at the jerk shack was awesome, ask him for whatever piece you want and he will give it to you. He also has an awesome sense of humor. The jerk chicken is only served at lunch, we saw it once or twice at the buffet but it didn't taste the same. We also had a lot of nachos, fries, salad, pasta fresh to order etc. They had a good amount of Jamaican food including Festival, Plantain and other things. NO BEEF PATTIES!! We actually bought them there. The Don Pablo restaurant was excellent food but the wait was 2 hours long, I think its more of an experience thing but we were getting tired of waiting for food. The Garden Grill, similar apps to things you can get at the buffet (disappointing) and the meals are good but very small. The Mikado was ok, I think taste wise the Mikado in D.R was better. The food was still pretty good though.

Entertainment was ok. Around the pool it was really good, the pre shows at night were funny but the actual shows were typical all inclusive shows. The Michael Jackson show is really good, we didn't care for the rest. The Sports Bar smells grosse so we avoided it also there are always 50 guys in there who will make you feel uncomfortable when you go in if you're a girl. The nightclub played excellent music, if you are just with girls you might feel uncomfortable at times.

Acouple things that bothered me, I was charged twice for a pineapple drink and at checkout they investigated and realized they made an error and they didn't apologize or anything. The privalege club is annoying, tell them you already got your free gift and they'll leave you alone. The WIFI here is so confusing and annoying to connect to.

Room Tip: Pay for Oceanview!
3  Thank Claylex

Dear Guest,

We truly have appreciated your kind review, about your recent stay at our hotel. It is grateful to learn that you have considered your Jamaican vacation as your favorite so far; thank you for letting us know you have enjoyed the property and the manicured gardens, room, views, pool, beaches, entertainment, snorkeling, housekeeping services and overall the services provided by our staff. We have also taken note about your observations; we appreciate your collaboration and we will make sure to transmit your comments to related department's heads, to take them into consideration.

Thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe as your holiday destination; we will be more than happy to host you again on your next trip to Jamaica.

Yours sincerely,

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!