“Loved Jamaica Paul and Bobbie”

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I could be called an elderly couple. We were visiting Jamaica for the fist time, and we had a fine holiday. The resort is indeed very big, but with the Don Pablo Collection upgrade, we had the best of everything.
Our balcony had a lot of shade. The ocean view was interesting: there weren't too many large boats sailing by but we could watch local fishermen in the mornings.
All the staff was friendly: Carmen our day maid, Candy, the night maid. Kim, the hostess at the Palmyra Restaurant, made us feel at home; in fact, everyone went out of his or her way to be pleasant, but the pace was a bit slower at the Palmyra, and we liked that. . The food was great; the presentation was amazing. So much work went into carving melons etc.!!
All the restaurants were fine. We like sushi and went to the Mikado more than once.
The beach was nice too, but we prefered the pool: it was closer, friendlier.
Time share sales people were about all the time; we just said "no thank you", and went on our way, no problem.

Room Tip: We were in section 23 and had a good view of the gazebo where the weddings took place.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bobbie H
Ilse S, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you, for letting us know your impressions about your recent vacation in our resort. We are delighted to know your expectations were fulfilled. Thank you, for your kind words about our staff friendliness and hospitality, about the food, restaurants, the beach and the pool.

Thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, we will be more than happy to host you again on your upcoming trip to Jamaica.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Well for starters 2 weeks at any large all inclusive resort is a bit much.. Ok well the food gets a bit repetitive after a few days although definitely plentiful during dinning hours. in between meal times the "snack bar" is available but barely edible and filthy.
Rooms are clean but in need of some maintenance on arrival as to be expected in Jamaica.
Found the staff pretty friendly for the most part but persistence of the sales crew were hard to handle and frankly quite annoying...
Tips: Take care of your maid and she'll take care of you. if your able to definitely upgrade to the Don Pablo section in order to get the best of what's offered at the resort

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Landibaby

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your note and for your words about the staff helpfulness. It is with regret that we learnt that we were not able to fulfill your expectations and we apologize for the inconveniences you have pointed out. However, it is through our guests’ questionnaires that we have learnt our food quality and variety is highly rated, in addition It is important to inform you that our Bahia Principe Resorts has a consultant with an international and well-known company named Cristal Americas, which on a frequent basis audits our hotels in all Hygiene and Sanitary procedures, besides, we have a Quality Control Coordinator in each property to ensure the proper follow up on Food & Beverage procedures. Although, we appreciate your observations and we will transmit your comments to related departments, to take them into consideration.

Thank you again for your collaboration; we do hope you could give us an opportunity to host you again in the future.

Yours faithfully

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I had a wonderful vacation in spite of the resort. It was wonderful to spend a week with my girlfriends as we celebrated our 60th birthdays. I have stayed at 3 other All-Inclusive resorts in Jamaica and one in the Dominican Republic. I am comparing Grand Bahia to those other resorts.

I read many reviews before our trip and went with the attitude that I would have a good time. I have never written a poor review of a resort before. However, my friends and I did have several issues with this resort. The resort is huge and it is beautiful, but most of the staff are not aware of the words "customer service" or maybe they just don't care. Three of us stayed in a triple seaview suite. Some days we had wash clothes, some days we had hand towels, but we didn't have both. No problem. That was just a minor inconvenience. The gal who cleaned our room each day was pleasant and made nice designs with our beach towels and laid them out on our beds.

We had no trouble with the room until our last day when we awoke around 5:45 am to find water all over the floor, and it kept spreading. I called down to the main lobby and within 10 minutes they sent up a man with a mop & pail. Apparently they were already aware of a problem. The water was coming from the adjoining room. After about an hour I called back down to the lobby to ask if there might be another room where we could go get dressed. I was told that the resort was full but if I called back after 7am there would be a manager on duty and maybe he could do something. We could have gone to the other end of the resort where our 4th friend was staying, but we didn't want to make the trip from our room in Bldg 18 to her room in the Don Pablo Collection. We would have had a long walk and wheelchair push in our pajamas.

We checked out around 9:30 am and asked that they waive the fee for safe ($ 6 per day) because of the flood inconvenience. They said they could not do that. One of my friends went to speak to a manager who gave her 3 t-shirts, 2 mini bags of coffee and one mini bottle of rum. I wanted to speak to someone and ask how we were supposed to share those items when we live in 3 different states, but at the time I was waiting for a wheelchair.

The night before our departure we asked about using the luggage rack or getting a bellman. Normally we would not need help but with me in a wheelchair and one friend pushing the wheelchair, it was going to be difficult to get our luggage down to the lobby. We were told that they couldn't promise us bellman or a luggage rack because it might be busy. Our friend in the Don Pablo Collection received a call confirming her departure & telling her what time the bellman and luggage rack would be at her room.

There is a special section at the pool and at the beach for the Don Pablo Collection but our friend wanted to be with us so she didn't get to take advantage of that.

Fri night we had a reservation at the Japanese Steakhouse. There were a total of 11 at the table. Our reservation was for 5:30. They led us to the table around 5:45. The chef could not get the grill started so he left and came back in about 15 minutes. If you've ever eaten at a Japanese restaurant, you know part of the experience is watching the cooking, the jokes they make, the presentation as well as the food. Our cook rushed through everything. When we were finished & it was time for dessert, we were told to go in the other room (the main dining room) because they were running late and needed to seat the next group at the grill.

I injured my foot on a catamaran trip and needed to rent a wheelchair at the resort. It seemed that the nurse was more interested in getting a deposit (she wanted $ 200 cash).The chair had to be returned to the nurse’s office the morning of our departure so I needed to borrow the wheelchair from the lobby to get from the lobby to the transfer bus. That also became an issue.

Another negative: there are gals in the lobby asking you every time you walk through there to take a tour & win prizes. My friends arrived a few hours before me. When they were approached, they said ok & scheduled it for the next morning at 8am. When we arrived in the lobby at 8am for our tour the following morning, we were asked where our husbands were. We said they were in the US. The lady said that we could not take the tour without them. I wasn't there when my friends were originally approached, but they said that they made it clear that we were traveling without our spouses.

The nightly entertainment was really poor.

I’m basing this review on the opinion of the three of us who stayed in the triple room. We hate to complain, but none of us will recommend this resort.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kathi W

Dear Guest,

We would like to acknowledge that we have received your review published on Trip Advisor. We sincerely regret the fact that you left our property unhappy and we apologize for the inconveniences. We are in the business to bring an enjoyable, unforgettable experience to all of our guests. We accomplish this most of the time. The few times that we do encounter an unhappy guest we address the issue immediately and turn the challenge into an opportunity.

We would like to thank you for vacationing with us at the Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort and we hope you will consider giving us the opportunity to once again host you in the near future.

Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

From early on day #2, we were constantly hustled. The hotel hustles you to upgrade your room, everyone hustles for tips (they're supposed to be included in your all-inclusive package.), and in the city the hustle is everywhere. Our excursions were ridiculously overpriced. Whole experience cost us an arm and a leg!
The beach was small and rocky, no free wifi in the rooms (what kind of 5 star hotel doesn't have free wifi?!?!), no laundry service on weekends, and the "free mini bar" is 4 bottles of pop and 2 beers. Just seemed like they'd do anything to cut corners. Not my idea of a 5-star resort!

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank kittykitty128

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having shared your note. We are sorry to know that our performance did not meet your expectations. We deeply sorry we couldn’t impress you with our facilities or services.

On behalf of our all team members, we apologize for the situations you found inadequate; we would appreciate the opportunity to host you in the future and modify your perception of our hotel.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

If you want to have a pleasant and good time pick another resort. The staff was very unfriendly, they never spoke to you even if you passed 2 feet by them. They just stared at you while you walked by, even if you greeted them. The only staff that spoke to you were the ones trying to get you to sit through a timeshare presentation , by asking you if you received your free gift.

My first room was an adjoining suite with a family with kids, and I asked to be moved. They placed me in another room that was right by construction that went on from 7am through 8pm even on the weekend. It rained a couple days, so being indoors this is what I got to listen to all day.

The resort is very spread out, and if you want a good spot on the beach be prepared for a long trek back to get any food or drink.

I will never visit this resort ever again! I did mention to the front desk staff when they asked what was the best part of my trip and I said going home. Usually I hate packing to go home, but I was packed and ready to go before dinner.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank islandsuzie

Dear Guest,

We would like to acknowledge that we have received your note published on Trip Advisor and we regret the situations you have brought to our attention. The management and staff would like to extend our sincerest apologies for all the inconveniences. However, your point of view about the staff attitude has overwhelmed us, as it is not common that we receive those kind of remarks; but on the contrary, we usually receive excellent feedback about their friendliness and attentiveness. Kindly note, that we constantly train our Staff members through our Human Resources Department as well as the Bahia Principe Quality Department in order to ensure that we provide our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Jamaican people.

We sincerely hope that this issues does not tarnish your perception of us and we will be more than happy if you re-consider to give us the opportunity to host you in our resort in the future.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

The trip was great if you make the upgrade to Don Pablo to your room,we were in 22411 which was quiet,there were some calls to make concerning the DP upgrade but no big deal,the resort was really great but BIG, if that is no big deal then go for it, swimming in the pool was good,exclusive DP area for the pool,other areas of the pool were a little full,snorkelling was alright from the beach or the areas closer to the resort,jerk chicken hut was really good but you have to watch the sauces,beach swimming was great the couple of times we went,nothing like floating around in the water,great service from Juan in the Palmyra resturant DP exclusive area, and Grant our concierge to our room 22411,and fun times and service from Alain and Aneika at the DP exclusive pool area.This resort is large so it requires soom walking to get around.The alacartes were really good if you did the upgrade to the Don Pablo service then you do your booking from the DP lounge which was really good,The Grill,The Don Pablo,and the Japanese (the show) were awesome.All in all a great trip,went shopping to Ohco Rios,and went to Nine Mile,where Bob Marley is,awesome trip there!!!.Watch out for the Privelge Club people,just keep walking past them.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SidV57

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your remarks in regards with your recent stay in our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort. It is always a pleasure to know that our guests have enjoyed their vacation including room, food, pool and the beach. We also are taking note of your observations and we will make sure to inform the related department to take them into consideration.

Thank you again for sharing your review with us and we look forward to host you again in the nearest future.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

The staff here were great! Everyone was so kind. If you had a question or needed anything, just ask and they would help you out right away. They always want to make sure you are relaxed and enjoying your stay. We went with a large group for a wedding. It was a beautiful ceremony. The photographer (Chris) was great!!! He took so many great shots and knew what he was doing. The steel band at the wedding was beautiful!

The market in Ocho Rios isn't that great. Too many people trying to sell you things and yelling at you to come over. I much preferred the shopping on resort rather than Ocho. Prices were very similar anyways.

It was absolutely beautiful there. I would go again tomorrow if I could!

Special thanks to Antonia - she made us feel very welcome! Excellent staff all around.

Room Tip: Top floor had beautiful views!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Samantha F
Ilse S, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your note in regards of your recent vacation in our hotel. Thank you, for inform us you have enjoyed the beauty of resort, the wedding, the music and all the services provided by our staff have met your expectations. Thank you for your compliments to the professionalism of our coworkers Chris and Antonia.

Looking forward to host you again on your next Jamaican vacation,

Yours sincerely,

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!