Grand Bahia Principe:
THE GOOD: beautiful resort, great food, they even had a vegetarian section which we loved. Nice pools, great lawn, great staff (though some seem a little shy, but hey, they are human too! ) One night at around 2:30 am teens right underneath our room, sitting on the balcony, were partying very loudly. After a while, I called (in our room 17508, the buttons on the phone for reception, etc. don’t work, you simply have to dial “0” though nothing indicates that, we had to figure out by trial and error) and the security came to their room. Then I could hear the kids complaining (once the security guard was gone) saying: “Can you believe this? Calling security?” they were obviously not getting it. So their party continued. Could not sleep, so around 3 am I called again. The staff at the reception were great and soon the security knocked on their door. Not sure what was said, but the noise stopped and didn’t reoccur all week). Thank you security!
Also IMPORTANT: Our room was on the fifth floor, with a nice view of the pools, the resort and the ocean. On our second night, we came to our room at around 9:30 pm, went on our balcony and even danced to the music (you can hear the concerts they have daily until 10 pm near the bar, a beautiful area of the resort that is outdoors). We were just happy to be outside and it was such a perfect temperature. Then we wanted to go back in and we had closed the sliding doors to save the air conditioning. But the doors locked themselves! It was already dark, and we had put a sign: Do not disturb on our door! So my husband and I were terrified as we imagined spending the night on the balcony. Strangely enough, I was about to call out from the balcony when one of the staff member yelled: “It’s ok, we will be there shortly!”. It felt like an angel, as we had been struggling with the door for less than 5 minutes. I think that the staff walks around at night and check for this, as they later told us that it does happen from time to time. So, we recommend to keep the doors slightly open when you go on your balcony!
We took a DAY TRIP TO PORT ANTONIO. It is a long trip, from 7:30 am to 7 pm, with a light lunch included and many stops if you wish to buy food or beverage. We loved it. Thank you Kaycee (OUR GUIDE), you are amazing, so smart and knowledgeable, we learned a lot about Jamaica, went to the Somerset Falls, then the Blue Lagoon and the highlight was the raft going down the Riu river. Heavenly. And a peaceful ride with a few and small rapids. Kaycee you were a joy to be with and anyone smart would promote you and keep you aboard!
The bedroom was nice and $1 tip seemed to be enough for our room to be made daily.
THE BAD: the bathroom. (See pictures.) The floors were old and stained, especially where the floor meets the walls. Not 5 star material, some may be quite disgusted by it. Lots of cracks and black mold on the wall and bath. The bathroom was at the most a 3 star quality. There were permanent stains near the sinks, must have been dry wall that dried on the marble a long time ago. (See pictures.) The vents seem to be in need of cleaning. There was a strange cigarette smell coming through, on and off, and it felt like the air was somewhat toxic. Again, not a 5 star quality. My husband noticed too. That lasted during our entire stay.
SUNWING: Changed our flight from a departure time of 6 am (our preference) to 10 am. We are at the airport in time and find out that the plane is delayed for 2 hours. So by 12:30 pm we are leaving Ottawa. Then we find out that we will stop at Puerto Plata for an hour to let people off and pick some people who are leaving Puerto Plata to return to Ottawa (and they too will have to come to Jamaica for an hour wait, let people out, pick people up and then head to Ottawa). So our flight was 6 ½ hours, and plus de delays, so we lost an entire day. The bus that picked us up was old and run down. The drivers forgot to stop at a resort, so we had to go back, delaying our arrival further. It was dark and around 10 pm by the time we reached our room. We spoke with many people at the resort and heard many such stories with Sunwing. So in the future we will definitely avoid them.
So this is still a beautiful resort, with a small but pretty beach, very safe for children, the snorkeling is safe at the beach but they don’t have much fish, though it was still pleasant enough. We won’t return though, we are looking for something smaller and cleaner for our next trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 lake-style connecting pools with 2 areas for children 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace with gardens, sun umbrellas and loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 2 tennis courts, volleyball court, football pitch Water activity centre Pool and beach towel service WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo 2 buffet-style main restaurants and 5 speciality restaurants 4 Bars Snack bar Entertainment amphitheatre Meeting and convention room The 18 hole Breezes Runaway golf course is just 5 minutes from the hotel. Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, sports bar and disco Rooms 848 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Sea View Junior Suite, Club Golden and Club Hacienda Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Pillowtop mattresses Fully-equipped bathroom with separate shower and hydromassage bath tub, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ventilador de techo Sitting area with sofa Balcony or terrace Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children (aged 4 to 12) will have the time of their lives with these facilities: Children's pool Special shows and activities Entertainment team Mini Club (4 - 12 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Nudist area on the beach Bahia 'au Naturel' (over 18s only) The hotel has a nudist bathing area apart from the other areas ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BP USA TRAVEL INC, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Priceline, Expedia, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Hotel
- Grand Bahia Jamaica
- Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Runaway Bay