“Great Trip !”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Great Trip !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a week at the GBP and had a great time!

We paid for an ocean view and got an awesome view of the pool and the ocean. We were right above the lobby though, so it was quite noisy in the evening. Thankfully we didn't spend too much time in our room! We were put in a room that was separated from another by a paper thin door. Next to us was a family who had brought two very young children. They were up screaming and crying through the night and up very early in the morning making lots of noise. I understand that it is a family resort but being a mother of young children myself, I was up at every noise these children made. When asked about a change, they had nothing to offer us. Try to avoid those joint rooms!

The area of the hotel we were in also was undergoing some minor renovation, so we did get to enjoy the sound of hammers if we were in our room. The maid service was excellent! Our bar was always restocked, linens changed and lovely art.

The staff around the resort were all around great! Very friendly and fun! The only issue I had was seeing the lifeguard smoking marijuana.... I don't smoke but I'm not offended by those who do, however I found it very unprofessional, especially with so many young children in the pool.

The pool was clean and so big that it was never really crowded. You did have to get up early to reserve a chair however. That was annoying!

FOOD: I loved it! The buffet was great for breakfast but you had to rush to get some bacon when it arrived ;) There was always a variety and a different theme every night. Jamaican night we tried alot of the local dishes and absolutely love it! We went to the snack bar a few times for lunch, the Jerk chicken is amazing! We went to three of the other restaurants and had a great experience at them all.

BARS: I found they were average. The pool bar did have an overwhelming smell of stale beer but what can you expect from an outdoor facility? I did see them cleaning in the evening. The choice however was poor. You had to pay extra for "premium" alcohol. If you like rum, you'll be good to go.

Entertainment: We attended the shows every evening. They did have a different one each night but I think 5 out of 7 nights were the same group of dancers and it got less entertaining as time went on. The steel band was amazing though! The entertainment crew did a great job of giving life to the pool area and did a funny preshow every evening on the main stage!

We spent a lot of time off of the resort doing some excursions. However, I recommend going with a guided tour or group. I felt very uncomfortable with the locals trying to hand you weed, and home made cd's and reaaaaalllllyyy trying to get your money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jessica947
Ilse S, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about our hotel, staff hospitality, entertainment, maid services, and views. Your honest opinion is very important to us and our reviewers; it allows us to meet the demands of our guests.

On behalf of the entire team at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica again we appreciate your feedback and would like to host you again in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Social Media Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,051)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

AMAZING! the view is breath taking, the food was so good it left u with a constant desire to taste the next meal. The staff was........friendly,fun, helpful, fun, respectful, fun, and left me feeling like i have known them forever! Antonia Sutherland from the entertainment staff was a major contributor to all the fun i experienced. She makes me want to go back to the hotel to party with her more!!! I can not stop explaining my content with the hotel and staff. THANK YOU!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Samantha R
Ilse S, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for your compliments about the food, the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff, the professionalism of our entertainers…

On behalf of our management and staff we would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write your kind review and we will be more than happy to host you again, in your next visit to Jamaica

Montague, Prince Edward Island, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

While the resort was beautiful (pools and beaches) and food was excellent, sevice and quality of our room was bad! This was my first time "South" with my two teenage daughers and I was expecting better for the money I paid. I hate to complain BUT:
Room 16216 was very "musty" smelling, black mould in bathroom, plug wouldn't stay down in tub to take a bath (asked to have repaired, but not done), the holder for toilet paper kept falling out of marble wall and crashing onto the floor, ran out of toilet paper frequently (one roll at a time and paper thin!), toilet broke twice (would not flush) and had to call for repairs. Each morning there was a new parade of bugs crawling in the bathroom, the TV was out of the dark ages and when you tried to turn the volume down, the channel changed! The floor of room was constantly wet feeling and looked like it had just been mopped. Electrical outlet for the coffee maker didn't work, so had to take it into the bathroom each morning and plug it in there. Beds were pretty hard and pillows were really lumpy and bumpy. Two sheets only on the beds. Two large towels only - not allowed to give you any more (and there were three of us!).The sliding glass door on our balcony would not lock (we were only two levels up). The digital clock in room would not work ( I asked for a new one three times, but never saw one). I asked for a wake up call at 7:30 a.m. one day, but no call ever came, (luckily we awoke on our own), I told them at the front desk that we never got a call - no apology made, yet a note was left under out door later in the day saying they had called and we did not answer!, The "fully stocked fridge" in our all inclusive consisted of one can of beer and one bottle of Sprite, Orange and Coke Zero! One of the worse things that happened was being in the (small) elevator and having it suddenly stop and lights go out leaving us in complete blackness. I rang the emergency buzzer (when I found it), but I figured it would be awhile before anyone would come, so I wedged my hands into the crack in the door and was able to pull them apart enough for my daughers to hop out and myself - luckily we weren't stopped between floors!
We found the staff to be very aloof in the hotel and restaurants and felt bad asking them for anything; they rarely smiled, even the people at the front desk, they made you feel like you were bothering them. Each day we left treats for the maids for their children plus American cash, but it was always the same, very indifferent and didn't seem to care. The only time anyone was overly friendly on the resort is if they saw cash in your hand - they perked right up! Our Transat agents were excellent though and alway willing to help.
We probably won't return to this resort, but try a smaller, more personable one next time and take our chances.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in room # 16216!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Sandra M
Ilse S, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to acknowledge that we have received your note published on TripAdvisor and we deeply regret the situation you brought to our attention. The management and staff would like to extend our sincerest apologies for all the inconveniences.

We sincerely hope that this issue does not tarnish your perception of us and we will be more than happy if you give us the opportunity to host you in our resort in the near future.

Yours respectfully

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Myself and 15 other people stayed here in February. The food is excellent especially The Orchid buffet. The pool side is good but the main buffet is better. Don Pablo is excellent for the ala carte and the Japanese is fun. The beach is much better over by the nude beach also there is a better small bar. Sometimes there are vendors there. Our room was excellent and everything worked. We were relatively close to the music on some nights but I always bring ear plugs as I am sensitive to noise. The only problem is when you go on excursions we are some distance from Montego Bay and Ochoa Rios. We were on a package deal with Air Canada and are rep that set our excursions up did an excellent job. The only thing to warn you about is when you go shopping over at the market by the entertainment do not stop at the first shop you will get ripped off. I did. Go to the far side and go to the two shops in the middle owned by the Jamaican lady.

Room Tip: Fourth floor is where we were.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Smokedogaz
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the comments about your recent stay in our property. We are really happy to learn you have enjoyed your vacation with us, and hope to see you back, soon.

Yours sincerely

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

My Girlfriend and I just returned from the Gran Bahia and we absolutely LOVED our stay.

I must say after reading a few reviews on here, i was slightly aprehensive about the resort but after going, I really can't understand how they felt so hard done by. Yes, on arrival, we found (like a lot of the complainers) that there were no bathrobes, slippers and beach towels in the room. We had to call reception twice BUT it was sorted within 30 minutes. Also, our minibar wasn't fully stocked on the last 2 days but seriously, are these kind of things big enough to spoil your holiday because this didn't bother us too much and other than these 2 things, the resort was PERFECT.

Room:

We paid the extra for the golden club and i'd say it was worth it. Express private check in was exactly that. We arrived at the hotel and within 5 minutes we were in our gorgeous room (17419) overlooking the nicer westerly beach. This area is also right next to the entertainment but we could not hear a thing at night. The complainers also said they were woken every night by people walking through the corridoors late at night. I was woken one night at 1am by people walking back to their room after a boozy night but SO WHAT!? They are on holiday too and for me, being woken up once in a week for 5 minutes was fine.

Buffet:

The food was very good. Buffet was above average, good variety and choice. Yes, the resort probably is catered for Americans as some complainers wrote but A. I like American food and B.can you blame them? The States are just around the corner as is Canada and the resort was pretty much full of people from these countries. It's like when we Brits go to Spain, you see full English breakfasts everywhere - it's going to happen when you are the majority! There were actually themed nights every night anyway (think we went to Mexican and Jamaican nights) so really no room for complaints here...

Jerk Centre / Beach Bar:

Again, mainly catered for Americans - burgers, hot dogs, fries, nachos but also had some Jamaican dishes on rotation like goat curry and cows foot. The jerk chicken at the jerk centre was so good and I ate this every lunchtime with rice and peas or fries - RECOMMENDED!

A La Carte:

Again, a lot of people complained that they were given the dates and times of their A La Carte nights. We were given ours, we got good times so really weren't that bothered and i'm sure if we wanted, we could have called reception and changed them. Our first night was at the Dolce Vita Italian and i'd say it was of the same standard as the buffet. Still nice but not amazing. Our second night was at the Garden Grill and this was a bit better. We both had steak and they were delicious. The third night was at the Don Pablo and this really was AMAZING food - best restaurant by far. We had the beef with mashed potato and asparagus and it was up there with one of the best meals i've had and i've had a few i can tell you! Our final night was the 'Tepanyaki' live cooking show at the Mikado Japanese restaurant and this was so much fun. Our chef was self named 'Blacky Chan' and he was great! He cooked up a variety of chicken, beef, prawns and sea bass with rice and vegetables for the main and we had deep fried ice cream for desert. There wasn't much choice for the first 2 courses though.

Drinks:

Another thing people moaned about was that premium drinks weren't included but If they read up on the hotel then they would have seen that the hotel does state that. Saying that, we both drank Appleton (rum) based drinks / cocktails and Red Stripe beer all week and these actually are premium drinks so we got the good stuff but sadly can't comment on what the vodka, gin or any other spirits were like. YOU MUST try the frozen pina coladas with rum served from all bars apart from the sports bar - they were the BEST cocktails.

Entertainment:

I must admit that we only made it down to the main entertainment twice. One night was ok with live dancing and music etc and the other night was VERY funny with people from the audience getting on stage, having to collect bra's and trousers from people in the crowd and generally making fools of themselves. Very entertaining.

Tips:

Now this was a bit of a problem for us. You are expected to tip at this resort and being English we just aren't used to it. We tip 10% at the end of a sit down meal and that is it for us! Obviously the Americans and Canadians have a tipping culture and we really didn't know when or how much to be tipping people so for all the Brits, just be prepared to dish out a few extra dollars on your trip, especially on excursions.....

Beach:

Beach at the front is man made and quite rocky. There is another, much larger beach west of the resort which was lovely and the sea was so warm and such a nice colour.

Pool:

Pool was huge! Very clean and had 2 swim up bars with stools. We stayed around the Hibyscus bar so we could see the entertainment as well. They had loads of games for people to join in with every day - we didn't do any but it was fun to watch!

Service:

Very good. Constantly re-filling our drinks / taking our plates etc at all restaurants. 90% of staff were very welcoming, happy and outgoing with a very small minority that were a bit grumpy. Never queued for a thing.

All in all we had an amazing trip. We have stayed in 5* all inclusive resorts like this in Egypt, Antigua and Mexico and this was definitely the best! Some people say this isn't 5* but they have obviously spent £2000+ on holidays to 5* resorts before. We paid £1432 including premium upgrades on the plane and the golden club upgrade and I am sure I got my moneys worth. If you spend this money then obviously it won't be as good as a 5* you've spent more on. This resort is good value for money and still 5* - END OF

NO PROBLEM

Room Tip: Top floor in block 17. Great views, sunny balcony in late afternoon and quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Nick R
Dear Guest,

We feel very grateful for your comprehensive and kind review about your recently finished vacations in our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica. We are delighted to know we have fulfilled your expectations and your holidays have been filled with joy and fun.

Thank you very much! On behalf of our management and staff and looking forward to your return to our property,

Yours sincerely,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

mar 16-23 2013 great resort!! went all inclusive with a group 50 did not like the first room we were on the 2nd floor with a poor view went to the desk and they moved us to the fith floor with a great view food was great with many resturants to choose from many bars to choose from and never had to wait to be served there were many off site trips to choose from

Room Tip: if posible get a room om the 5th floor facing the ocean
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jack C
Dear Guest,

Receive a great greeting from our resort, the Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica. Thank you very much for your comments and for sharing your remarks with us and our reviewers on TripAdvisor. Thank you very much for vacationing with us.

Looking forward to host you again

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

The food was excellent! The rooms were clean and nice. They don't charge you for the drinks in the fridge. We got a view from the ocean without even paying for a real oceanview room! There 2-3 beaches. The beaches had bars that had everything you can name. The beaches were full of crabs and seashells. The pools were so full of energy and alive! It's so large that it take you 10 just to get from one end of the pool to the other. There are a variety of things to do and a bunch of shops with different, affordable things. It is backed with a lot of tropical plants. It's amazing what I experienced and I would recommend this hotel for a bunch of people who want to experience the real, lush and tropical Jamaica

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Alexandra A
Ilse S, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Our ultimate goal it is to fulfill our guests’ expectations. We are feeling very proud to learn that in your case, we were able to provide you a wonderful time; you have received more than you expected and you have enjoyed your vacations to the fullest.
We would like to thank you for sharing your remarks with us and our TripAdvisor reviewers, and we hope to host you again in the near future, in our Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#17 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,295 reviews

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!