“Friend's Wedding/Vacation”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Thorold
“Friend's Wedding/Vacation”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

First time to a Bahia resort and first trip to Jamaica in 13 years. Had a blast. The resort staff were great and friendly. The food was excellent. Some of the shops were a bit of a rip-off, but that can be expected I suppose. The rooms were generally clean and well maintained and the cleaning service was professional and thorough. The beach was large enough to accommodate enough people but could have been a bit bigger in terms of depth from the shore. The grounds were VERY well kept, but almost felt too barren and over cleared, a bit more random vegetation would have been nice.

3 Thank randomlytravelling
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear guest,

We are very glad to know that we reached your expectations and we provided you a unforgettable vacation in our Resort. Thank you for your recommendations regarding our beach and gardens and we hope to see you again very soon.

Customer Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,139)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Oromocto, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Where do I start, this is an amazing resort. I’m not sure where some of these reviews come from, people complaining about food, the beach and many other things. We had no issues whatsoever with this resort.

Our only complaint was with Sunwing, we lost a whole day coming down from Halifax and were delayed 7 hours at the Montego Bay airport going back (Montego Bay airport has tons of shopping and restaurants once you go through security, it was quite nice)

Resort: This is a huge resort!! Over 800 rooms, but you’d never think that with the service they provide. The grounds are pristine, and beautiful. Be prepared for lots of walking, which I found to be the perfect way to take it all in!

Room: Our room was beautiful #17408, our maid was Jodicay (the banana chips she left us were yummy). The room was cleaned and bar fridge restocked daily. (Should leave a tip of some sort under pillow and in fridge daily) The view was awesome. Pillows weren’t the most comfortable, but I am picky about pillows. Tv is an older tube model, but lots of American and Canadian channels. There is a safe in the room, but you eed to put down a deposit and pay a daily fee to use it. I thought that was silly, I used little locks and put anything important or valuable in my suitcase in the closet and locked it, we had no issues. We brought our smart phones and laptop. There is free internet access in the lobby area, or you can get high speed throughout the resort for $40 for the week.

Pool: The pool is HUGE! If you want to reserve specific chairs in the morning like most people do, don't just leave your towel on them, I saw people just take towels off and sit down. Leave a magazine or flip flops as well, people are much less likely to mess with your personal stuff. But the blue towels are so generic that it makes it more impersonal.

Food: The Buffet was amazing, always something good to eat! Breakfast buffet had lots to choose from, omelette station, bread, bagels, pastries, yogurt, bacon and a thousand other things. Coffee, tea and juice, as well as morning cocktails were always available. Lunch was great at either the main buffet or the beach snack bar (different items available here as well as jerk chicken right off the grill). Different themes each evening at the buffet made it so it never got boring.

The 2 a la carte restaurants we went to were awesome! Mikado was great, we got a table for the tappenaki show, it was really fun and the food was amazing. We also went to the Don Pablo, very fancy, but the food was wonderful!!

Basically there is only about an hour a day that you can’t eat at either a restaurant or snack bar:
The buffet is open 7 to 10:30 – 1 to 3 – 6:30 to 10:30pm
The beach snack bar is open 11am to 6pm
Burger Principe is open 11pm to 7am
And there is usually always a pastry of some kind and coffee at the main lobby bar

Beach: there are different sections of beach here. Directly in front of the resort is a beach that is sheltered by breakwaters. This is where they moor the boats for the excursions. It is also a great place if you like to snorkel like us; the beach is a little gravely and weedy here for swimming. If you like to swim, sunbathe and enjoy the sand you need to walk down past the snack bar, the beach stretched all the way around the small bay out to the point where the nude beach is. This beach area is also good for snorkelling if you go out past the roped off area.

Excursions: We booked a trip to Dunn River Falls with the Scuba Quatic team that is set up by the pool. They take you from the beach by boat to Dunn River, and stop to snorkel on the way back. It was fun. Also we booked a drive to Ocho Rios with a cab driver named Andrew, he was great, he took us into Ochi and brought us wherever we wanted to go shopping. He stayed with us the whole time, which was nice. My Mother and Father-in-law also had Andrew drive them to Nine Mile for the Bob Marley trip, they also had a great time. (Let me know if you would like contact info for Andrew)

Tips:

-Bring your insulated mugs for your drinks.
-Tips aren’t necessary, but of course they are greatly appreciated!
-If you’re looking for weed, you’ll have no problem finding it, I can’t even remember how many times I was asked if I wanted some!
-If you want to buy any wood souvenirs, make sure there is no bark and absolutely no evidence of insect activity. Also make sure if you buy wooden animals (ie, turtles) they don’t have beans for eyes. They use jequirity beans that are extremely poisonous and NOT allowed into Canada. You must declare all wood products upon return and they will be inspected.

All in all, I thought this was an amazing resort, and my husband and I would come back in a heartbeat. I wouldn’t even consider another resort in Jamaica. Let me know if you have any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

Room Tip: We were in 17408 which was facing the resort side. It was centrally located for both pool and beach...
13 Thank Colleen M
Dear guest,

It is a pleasure to learn ,reading your review, that you were satisfied with our services and facilities and we impressed you with our Resort in general.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your opinion in Trip Advisor and do not hesitate to get in touch with us for your next visit.

Edmonton
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We booked this trip through Nolitours, check in occurred right on the shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel. It was a fairly long ride, 1 hour 15 minutes, so the bus check in was a good thing. The room was just an average, nothing specail type of a room, two beds despite the fact that my only request was for a room with a single kingsize bed. Beds were comfortable. Room was kept nice and clean by houskeeping staff. Bathroom had a shower only and the shower did not even have a door on it, a little messy. Lots of hot water, that's the main thing. Mini bar kept restocked with 2 beers and 4 pops everyday. One thing that did not impress me about the room was the fact that Bahia has a cash grab on the safe, they charge you $6 a day, if you booked with Nolitours and $3 if you booked through Transat. Not sure what that's all about? Alarm clock did not work right, lost a little over two hours of time through the night. I asked to have it changed a couple of times and then just gave up, made them give me a wake up call every day.
The hotel spends a lot of time and energy trying to get you to upgrade the vacation package that you brought. Personally I think that energy should be spent on maintainence issues. When it rains this place leaks like a sieve in all the areas that it really should not, lobby ceiling, theatre area ceiling, breezeway around the hotel buffet areas. Mkaes me wonder what's going on behind the drywall and the wooden area of the structure, looks like a good place for the growth of mold to me.
The resort is expansive (large), so if you of limited mobility you might struggle a bit.
The small beach area right in front of the hotel seems to be man made, not really sand but gravelly pebbles. Shame, because it is really quite nice except for that fact. There is another beach that is much nicer, but a fair hike from the hotel, a couple of places on it to get drinks and plenty of chairs.
We went to one evening show, it was terrible.
The pool is probablly one of the best I have seen, nice and long, two bars on it.
The food is really great, something can always be found in the buffet to fill you up. The Picaso, Grill, and Mikado, alacarte restaurants are excellent.
One of the best things about this resort are the serving staff, friendly and english is spoken by all!
Several nice shops on site to look at stuff.
Like a lot of places, your opinion will change with what this trip costs you. So it's an ok place.
Personally I would call it 3.5 to 4 star vacation.

Room Tip: I would say that buildings B,C, or G would cut down on a lot of walking for you.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Cheryl45
Dear guest,

Receive cordial greetings from Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica.

We very appreciate your positive remarks and your time to post your opinion in Trip Advisor. Of course thank you so much for your recommendations and suggestions made to our operation.

Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this resort, the staff for most part were friendly, in fact I would have given service a 5 star except for the service at the check out and exchange counter. The ladies cleaning our rooms were so pleasant and alway willing to accomodate an extra pack of coffee, sugar, cream etc. The bar staff were always friendly and fun

The beach was beautiful -- caution on sunny days wear lots ot sun block and be prepared to hunt for chairs. If you like the pool be prepared to get up early to reserve your chairs or you will have to go to the beach.

Don't just shop at the resort shops near the lobby - at the resort there is a market area where the outdoor theatre is, (also where the disco and karoke bar is) there are about 10 shops there. The prices are cheaper and they will barter better prices with you.

Well I have not been to other Grand Bahia Principe hotels before -- I have been to other resorts so I would rank this as a 4 to 4.5 star

The food was wonderful, no issues at all, our favorite was the Japanese restaurant, our server was attentive and even cracked a few jokes with us. The servers at all restuarants were friendly and attentive

I would recommend this hotel and Jamaica, we enjoyed our week in the sun

Room Tip: The last building near the beach was the best for view and access to Beach and pool. The room #s ran...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sarah Y
Best regards,

Certainly your satisfaction is our best award. We are very happy to learn that once again we achieved our goal.

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know and sharing your experience with our reviewers in Trip Advisor and we hope to see you very soon in our Resort.

Yours sincerely,

York, Pa
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Me and my wife stayed at the resort from Feb 15th to Feb 22nd. I don't view us as "high class" people as we typically stay at resorts with similar star levels however this one didn't meet the bill.

First the pros:
-When we arrived at the hotel we were upgraded to the Don Pablo collection (you are supposed to pay extra for this)
-As part of the Don Pablo collection you have your own pool area with bar and restroom as well as beach area. This made it much easier to find pool chairs and a better selection of drinks.
-We were able to eat at restaurants every night as I would have had a hard time eating at the buffet more then once for dinner
-Room service, from the maid and the food services, were good. The room was a bit dated but clean for the most part (until last day). See Cons...

The Cons:
-On our second night there, we ate at the French restaurant, Don Pablo. As my wife was about to take a bite of her dessert, she noticed ants on her plate!!! We called the waiter over and he said oh they are sugar ants. He then went and got his supervisor who also said "oh they are sugar ants". Ok, that's great, we have now identified they are sugar ants, but why are they on her plate!!!!! EWWWW We got up and left.
-The bed in the room was very hard, to the point that our hips and backs hurt every night. I ordered extra blankets, to act as a pillow top, which helped but didn't completely solve the problem.
-The halls of rooms smelled badly of mildew the entire time. On second to last day they were cleaning the carpet. However they never set up fans after they were done. Hence you will get mold. I believe the cleaning lead to the next issue.
-On last night my wife asked me to come to the bathroom to kill a bug. It was a huge cockroach! It is probably still on the wall awaiting our the next guest arrival! There were also ants crawling on the bathtub that night as well. Later that night we went to use the elevator and noticed 3 more big cockroaches on the wall. Kind of makes it hard to sleep worried that one might crawl on you.

Overall I will summarize it like this:
I am a firm believer that if you see bugs, especially big well-fed ones, that there is a much bigger problem behind closed doors. I always felt like I had to check everything before I ate it, and had the cockroach issue happened early in our stay I would have probably asked for our money back and a transfer to a different hotel.

2 Thank Keith B
Dear guest,

We cannot tell you how deeply we regret were not able to reach your expectations during your stay with us. We have been taken very good note about all your comments mentioned in your review to address them to our relevant department heads.

We would like to comment that our Hotel Management is very concerned about all our guests, their well-being, safety and security during their stay with us are the most important to us. As it represents a huge responsibility for a big part of our staff, organization and a big effort in order to create a safe environment that satisfies our clients' requirements, especially on a special time when they do not expect more than relax and enjoy their holidays. We honestly are very surprised with these comments andwe can assure you that we follow strict program of fumigation which are carried out continuously and we work with established sanitation standards, which are monitored continuously by internal and external audits. Indeed, the Tour Operators organize frequent visits to our Resort, in order to make sure that we follow the established safety and hygiene patterns. For your tranquility, we would like also to mention that Gran Bahia Príncipe Jamaica has been recognized by Crystal America Consulting - Check Safety Group, which on a frequent basis, audits our Hotels in all Hygiene and Sanitary procedures, for our performance in hygienic and sanitary risks control. However, due to the hotel’s structure, characterized by wide open spaces, and taking into consideration the Tropical Climate of the country, the presence of such species may not be avoidable at all times.

In the name of our General Manager and all our Staff members we would like to extend our most sincere apologies if we could not provide you a pleasant stay as you expected and sincerely we regret once again that you left unhappy. Our main goal consist on bring an enjoyable stay to all our guests and we aaccomplish this most of the time. The few times that we do encounter an unhappy guest we address the issue immediately and turn the challenge into an opportunity. We must admit that we, of course, are not perfect and we do experience in consistencies upon occasion.

Thank you so much for vacationing with us and we would like to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Campbellford, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We just stayed here for the week of February 8-15,2013. First, we were travelling in 4 couples, we were all supposed to have King beds with oceanview.Our one couple of friends ended up with 2 double beds and we asked to change and they didn't. We had 2 burnt out lights in our room and asked to be changed, and they didn't. The swim-up bar never had stairs to get in and out. Not an assortment of drinks, we asked for some drinks at the swim up bar and the bar tender said we had to go to the deck bar (which was only up 2 stairs for him) for it. The beach is extremely small and man made.The people were too pushy on moving up to Priviledge Club.Rooms were very noisy. The staff started with cleaning service carts up and down the halls at 6:00 am.We have travelled to Mexico and Dominion Republic and the staff was constantly cleaning,painting and trimming trees, etc. but we did not see that here. We were so unhappy with the service, we thought it was Jamaica, being our first time. So we met a great cab driver who took us to Riu Ocho Rios and they were more than appreciative to take us around and give us a tour!! Nice to see it wasn't the country, just the hotel. I guess, we expected much more for Jamaica being more expensive!!

4 Thank Robin C
Dear guest ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us

We cannot tell you how deeply we regret were not able to reach your expectations during your stay with us. We have been taken very good note about all your comments mentioned in your review and we sincerely hope that this issue does not tarnish your perception of us and you could give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Midland
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Previous reviews have all stated the the obvious...jerk chicken amazing,food very nice,beach only so-so,beautiful property,amazing people.
Now for the not so obvious.....

Pros.
Red Stripe on tap
No problem getting into certain a la carte restos when you dont have a reservation...just ask
No problem getting a free safe....just ask
Local "Herb vendors" dont hassle you too much
Water safe to drink
Friends had safe problems....fixed right away
Took a cab to Dunns river and then into Ochos Rios for a few hours....still cheaper than the bus tour
Not many youngsters crying and misbehaving
Try the smaller buffet for brekky and lunch...less to choose from but no line ups

Cons
Crappy house wine
Ignorant staff in the jewellery store
Need to change up the music at the pool once in a while

Thats about it
I would recommend it to others but I would not return....too many other places to see!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank andybMidland
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your recommendations and suggestions made to our operation and hope you could give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!