“Excellent Hotel, can't wait to go back”

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel, can't wait to go back”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I for the life of me cannot understand any of the negative reviews about this hotel, obviously all written by small narrow minded people. This was my first time in Jamaica and at this resort. The rooms were excellent as was the maid service. The choice of food in the buffet was varied enough to keep you interested and breakfast too had an amazing choice for anyone. I tried the Japanese Tempanyaki, which is a great laugh and great food. The chateaubriand in Don Pablo is to die for, make sure you have it medium rare, it will melt in your mouth. The staff could not have been more friendly, from the front desk all the way down to the beach bar! Donna, Nadyia and Garfield could never help enough, Donna is the queen when it comes to cocktails, try her dirty banana, amazing....

The beach is NOT rocky, it is a sweeping sandy cove extending from the jerk chicken restaurant (the chicken is lovely, and the sauces are hot!) all the way to the beach bar (near the nudist beach) You don't need watershoes, another myth, it is all just lovely golden sands and a shallow cove that you can walk right out into.

The entertainment on the terrace bar in the evening was really good, and if I had a complaint it would be that I wished it could be longer than the one hour it is on for, it doesn't deter people from going to the entertainment area, as this caters for different age groups in my opinion.

Looking to go back in April, as it was that GOOD...

Room Tip: Well I was on the side nearest the beach, room 17220, great location for all amenities and access to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Dave I
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear guest,

It will be a pleasure for us to host you again the next month of April in your already second visit to our Resort, always your home in Jamaica.

Please do not hesitate top get in touch with us and let us know your booking dates to provide you a nice welcome as a loyalty and repeater guest of our Bahia chain and our Resort, Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica.

Always at your disposal,

Customer Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,117)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed February 13, 2013

If you're like me, you travel south to enjoy the sun and warmth outside. I live in Canada where winters are cold, and where I have to eat inside unless I want my food to freeze onto my plate. So travelling south during winters also means I will get to eat outside.

This resort is a big but everywhere outside, and I mean everywhere, I went, I simply could NOT escape smokers. There were smokers on every restaurant patio, in every hotel hallway, all around the pool, in the deck outside the lobby where people assemble to have a drink after dinner and before the evening show, in the courtyard where the evening show is provided. I mean smokers are everywhere, all the time. If you're a non-smoker, good luck!

I tried to convince the property's manager for food and beverages to make at least one restaurant patio a non-smoking patio (again this is a big property with lots of place so it would be easy to make one patio available for non-smokers), but I may as well have been talking to the wall.

Aside from this, I would say that it's a shame that the gym is buried somewhere undeaneath the lobby in a window-less basement room. Remember, this resort is big with lots of ocean front views ... it would be easy to move the gym into a room with a window or two!

Service at the main buffet absolutely sucked. One night, I asked a server 3 times for a napkin and utensils. His final response? Turned his back to me, walked away while showing me the back of his hand.

Grill (steak) house was horrible. Tenderloin steak was more like a minute steak. Anything else I wanted to add to my plate ... get up and serve myself at the buffet, which only offered the same food that was at the main buffet hall. Boring.

Aside from this, other a la carte restaurants were great, service was good, room was gorgeous.

We slept in the new block on the property but could never keep our patio door open ... there must be a kennel next to the property because there were barking dogs all night long, and I mean all night long. Had to keep our patio door closed, and the A/C on all the time to be able to not hear the dogs.

10 Thank ejlupien
Dear guest,

First of all, we are very sorry to hear your discomfort regarding some issues during your stay.

We deeply regret that you felt that in our Resort there is no place for non smokers guests, we are sincerely sorry that you felt that your requests were not studied or assisted properly , it never was our intention, since Bahia Principe we have very clear that our guests opinions and recommendations are very valuable and important for us. Please kindly note that inside closed areas, as Restaurants, main buffet, rooms, lounges, indoor bar, clubs is not allowed to smoke. Also in our lobby bar we have signed a smoking and non- smoking areas. Of course we appreciate all your recommendations and we hope that beside these events you had a nice time with us.

gta
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Start off by saying this was our first winter all-inclusive vacation in 20+ yrs, and we had a great time, so my initial response was to give this an excellent rating. However, as I thought about it there were a few issues that came up during our week - some hotel issue, some Sunquest issue, but it reduced my rating. I had read a number of reviews before we left on our trip, so didn't have any elevated expectations despite the fact Sunquest ranked this as a 5-star resort.

The resort is beautiful, we had paid for the Diamond upgrade, so our room was down near the beach, was very large - separate shower, jacuzzi tub, extra large balcony - we loved it. A little noisy late at night when people were coming back from a wedding reception at the beach restaurant, but that didn't last long. Only concern here really was that there was an ice bucket in our room, but no info where we should/could get ice. Went to Dolce Vita one evening, they did fill it for me, but the girl at the desk there was not pleased. Managed to make it to the beach bar one evening before they closed up, and they were happy to fill it. Never did find an ice machine within the hotel.

Mentioned the Diamond upgrade, we know it got us a better room, free safe and 1 extra a la carte, but to be honest not really sure what else it got us, other than computer time in the Diamond lounge. Read in a recent review a complaint about being told where they couldn't go because they weren't upgraded. I wish there had been more information about what our Diamond club status got us. Found it funny that it was only on the last morning that we discovered there was a special section in the Orchid dining room reserved for Diamond members - and we stumbled on it ourselves trying to find a table, we were never shown there by dining room staff.
Lots of choices in the buffet, we only went there for breakfast and the first couple of dinners, but by the end of the week I was pretty fed up with the food there. Stick to the freshly made omelets and eggs, grab bacon when you see it (it disappears quickly), danishes were pretty good too. Lineups for toast too long mainly because you had to put the bread thru 2- 3 times to get it toasted. Pre-made quiche, pancakes etc tasted dried out.
Have to say I really expected the fruit to be fantastic, but it was hit and miss, sometimes great other times not juicy at all. Only thing dependable were the oranges which were always juicy.

We were travelling with another couple, and our rooms were just down the hall from each other which was great (we both had turret rooms with the oversized balcony that way), but found it very odd that with our pre-booked a la carte reservations we had nothing together. Went to the diamond lounge to get our meals coordinated and they initially wanted to move all our meals to 9:00 - 9:30 pm, which was not acceptable but we did get it settled with an 8:30, 8:00, 7:45 and 7:30 meal times. Seems odd that they could accommodate wedding receptions of 10-20 people at 6 - 6:30, but not dinner for 4.
We ate at the Grill (good beef tenderloin and salmon), Picasso, Tempanyaki (inside Mikado, where the chef cooks right at your table - awesome dinner and so much food), Don Pablo (excellent beef again). Picasso dinner was ok, but choices didn't appeal to me as much as the other restaurants. Food at the a la carte restaurants was very good, much better than the buffet.
Had lunch at the beach bar, jerk chicken was very tender and juicy, and loved the nachos, gorgeous view of the beach.

Only other issues were with the arrival and departures. Sunquest staff at the airport were confusing, I was sent from Sunquest desk to another desk in the airport which was for Jewel resort, and our friends were sent out to the bus. Also the bus waited an extra 15 min for a couple of guests that had left and taken a taxi to the hotel. Loved the fact that they had all the room keys, wrist bands on the bus, so we didn't need to line up at the front desk when we got there. However, separate registration was included in the list of diamond club perks, and everyone on our bus was treated the same - so not worth paying extra for. But once we got to the hotel, we seemed to be on our own to find our room. No one directly people where to go.
The day of our departure there were big snow storms in Toronto and eastern US, and we already knew our plane was going to be delayed getting to Montego Bay to pick us up, but we still had to board the bus and leave for the airport at the regularly scheduled time - so got to spend an extra couple of hours at the airport. Not sure what the rush was, since we were all out of our rooms earlier in the day, and the new guests would be late getting to the hotel anyway due to the flight delays.

Overall though, we had a great trip. Staff were very friendly and I would definitely recommend this resort.

Lots of shopping on the resort grounds, found prices up by the sports bar/disco much better than in the lobby and at the airport.
Also Montego Bay airport has 2 duty free liquor stores, so shop around as prices are different.

Final tip, we went on the Dunn's River Falls trip offered out of the Scuba shop, saved $20 per person over the trip pushed by Sunquest and it was a nice trip up the coast in the boat instead of a bus ride to Ocho Rios.

Room Tip: A $30-$35 tshirt in the lobby store costs $20 in the shops up by the sports bar.
3 Thank gta-hockey-mom
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for sharing with us your experience and we sincerely hope that beside these events, which of course, it will be taken into consideration, we were able to provide you a very pleasant stay.

Yours faithfully,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Dear fellow travelers I urge you to read all of the reviews for this resort and beware of the ratings for this resort. I booked through iTravel2000 with a live person, it was a Signature vacation, and I flew on Sunwing. The bus ride took 1.5 hours.

Resort
---------
Rated as a 5 star all inclusive resort, and was told by many people that it was built in 2007, and that it was 1 hour from the Montego Bay airport.

Cons:
-I am starting with this because I need to get it off my chest then I can talk about the good stuff.

THE ROOM--I booked an upper floor room, ocean view with a king bed.....I got a garden view facing the wall, double bed, and on the second floor. When I wanted to change rooms, the lady at the front desk said all booked up and that there was only one room available on the opposite side of the building facing the service road and on the first floor, this one however was a king bed. Also, notable was that the room was run down, the walls in the bathroom were moldy, the shower door was off of its hinge just about the fall out (glass door really heavy not good for my kids). Anyway, took this only available room, settle in went for dinner, came back with kids in tow, and asleep on my shoulder, got into the room and the AC was not working. After about 2 hours of arguing, trying to bribe my way to a better room I was told that I can pay 75USD per night to upgrade to Don Pablo (which by the way is not worth it). Finally got a lady who seemed to be the general manager and she put me in another room in another building with the specs that I had requested and paid for. Go to this room and the same thing with the walls in bath, Glass door coming out of the wall, and in this shower the drain grate was broker (my kid fell as he stepped on it). The AC however did work and it was about 9:00 p.m and I decided that it was the best room I was going to get and the AC was working...what a concept.
-Please note at this resort you have to pay for the safe (6USD per night) and you need a 50USD deposit for the key.

THE FOOD AT THE BUFFET--was decent quality and abundant but exactly the same day in day out for breakfast, lunch and dinner. As my wife put it, the food is just food enough to pass as decent but by NO means is it good.

THE FOOD AT THE BEACH SNACK BAR--Jerk Centre was good, and your run of the mill hot dogs, hamburgers, pre-frozen guacamole, chips, fries, etc. Not a very good selection of veggies and salads.

THE FOOD AT THE RESTAURANTS--Don Pablo rest. best dish is the chateaubriand. the rest of the restaurants were ok.

THE BEACH--near the resort it is a bay and very rocky NO Sand!
THE BEACH--a long walk away from the resort pool and main area, was much better and the sand was good too.

THE DRINKS--are all low quality no name brands with no fresh juices, fruit, and the mixes are all sugary per-mixed sirups.

SHOWS--Have to walk a bit to the shopping area away from the main resort. We never made it to the shows as kids would fall asleep quite early so I cannot comment on the quality.

GENERAL RESORT--this resort looks run down and old...I find it hard to believe that it was built in 2007. It is very tired looking and and the general appearance and feel was more like a 3 star.

PRO:
-------

PEOPLE--the workers and Jamaican people in general were very friendly, down to earth and quite lovely. They made this trip for us.

Room Tip: STAY AWAY FROM THIS RESORT AND GO TO NEGRIL OR MONTEGO BAY INSTEAD! -However if you have already bo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank mozillatraveler
Dear guest,

We cannot tell you enough how deeply we regret the uncommon situation that you explained concerning the maintenance issues. We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused. Please rest assured that all your comments are being taking serious and have been forwarded to the relevant department’s heads in order to avoid the reoccurrence of such a situation and corrective measure will be taken; as a service-oriented company, our objective is not only to fulfil, but also surpass our guests’ expectations to avoid this kind of situations in the future.

We have very clear that our customers are the most important, as well as their comment and we would like to offer our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused.

Thank you for yourt ime to share this situation with us nad we hope you could consider give us the opportunity to recover your trust on us.

Wisconsin
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is my 5th time to Jamaica, we usually stay at the RIU chains, but decided to switch it up this year. Our group was myself and my husband and 2 single male friends.

We flew via Apple vacations, a direct flight from Rockford, IL (Frontier airlines---which are GREAT!). When we arrived (Feb. 4th), we and the other 3 couple that were on our shuttle (Apple) were immediately taken past the front desk and into an air conditioned room where we were greeted with cool washcloths and champagne. We had been upgraded to the Don Pablo Lounge section. It seemed most Americans that were with Apple were upgraded also, but I had been emailing the resort for a few weeks prior and Nicole asked if I was the one that she had been in contact, etc. Nicole did a FABULOUS job. All of our ala carte restaurants were booked for us (5 for 7 nights!! At the RIU the most we got was 3!). Also, she knew that we were celebrating our anniversary, and had decorated our room with balloons and a nice card, etc. She escorted us to our room, also. After arriving we received a fruit tray and a bottle of champagne! So did our friends, so I don't think that it was just for our anniversary.

Rooms: We were in room 11305, which is in the H block. From the research that I had done prior, I knew this was a little older section, but I wouldn't have asked for a different room! We were on the same level as the lobby, terrace, shops and the DP lounge, where we had a better WiFi connection, bar with premium liquors etc. Our patio overlooked the main pool bar (there are 2) AND the ocean which was fun to laugh at all the drunk people while getting ready for the evening :). Our patio was HUGE! 20 by 15 feet at least, very nice when all 4 of us were hanging out. Housekeeping (Crystal, I believe) did an excellent job, cool towel art, no problems with the cleanliness, etc. Our evening housekeeper (she didn't come every night, that I recall, but with the DP upgrade we had turn down service), provided some nice extra touches, filled up our whirlpool tub and sprinkled flower petals in it, etc. Our mini fridge was stocked every day ( always tipped 2 or 3 dollars in both the fridge and the bed each day, but I think that we would have received the same service). We also had room service that we used for breakfast one morning, it says 45 minutes for delivery, expect 45 minutes. No problem, mon. No shortage of facecloths that I heard people complain about?? I always bring a shower scrunchie thing that I get for 89 cents and throw it away at the end of the trip...but for night face washing (when I remembered/was able to, lol) there were always 2 available and replaced each day.

Beach: yes, rocky and hard right in front of the resort, but if you just lay on a chair, what's the problem? As you look out to the water, the beach to the left is great! Huge, shallow, 2 bars set up on the beach. Great for kids, it is shallow way out. Just gorgeous. If you go all the way to the left, right by the Nude beach, there is a guy who sells carvings and shells. Nice guy and great stuff! My husband and I were just wandering (no$) and he let us take 2 shells and come back to pay him. I thought that was pretty cool.

Pool: Absolutely great. We did spend quite a bit of time in the DP section, which is all the way to the right as you look to the ocean. Not because we are hoity-toity but the 2 guys with us don't like the sun or water. Yes. That is correct. It's hilarious and, yes they have been to Jamaica several times. So, at the RIU chains, most of the pool bars have an upper seating area, where we can at least be withing hollering distance, but not here. No problem, there was a huge cabana set up with 4 tables and comfy chairs, and waiters/waitresses! I think one afternoon I only saw them move once to use the bathroom. They also have small bottles of water--which is awesome, that always seems to be hard to get ahold of at a resort. They had nice padded loungers and cabanas for 2 scattered all around the pool. As for the rest of the loungers, we saw MANY open ones around the whole pool. We arrived on a Monday and once we got to Saturday the resort seemed to be a bit more full, but you could always find one. None of the get up early and get your towel out there (unless perhaps you had a big group, etc).

Food: Once again, excellent. There is a smaller buffet that is called the Plamyra that is open only for breakfast. Go There. It is located right under the I block. If you are walking to the right or East from lobby, you will go past the main buffet and around the corner from there is the smaller one. It is much more intimate and not so...hmmm...cattle feeding? Make sure to tip for those guys making the made to order omlettes, they do a great job ( I had an egg white one almost every morning). NICE TOUCH: both breakfast buffets have mimosas and screwdrivers available :) Friday nights at the bigger buffet is lobster tail, yum! Soups were excellent, and their mashed potatos are great (weird? I know)
We ate at the Italian, French, steakhouse and Japanese. We did the Tapenyaji/hibachi grill for Japanese and it was wonderful. I don't eat red meat, but the 3 guys do--their rank (and, we did them in this order, so that was great!) for steak was Japanese (shrimp was awesome), steakhouse and French. We had French on the last night and they were very impressed! I didn't have a bad meal there. Jerk chicken at the snack hut was great--I do have to throw out that we went to Scotchie's in OR and that was the best Jerk chicken I have EVER had.

Overall, I thought it was a great place and I would go back.The nightlife was a bit quiet, but that was ok. My husband and I visited the sports bar one night and the other 3 guys went to the disco a couple of times. After so much sun and drinks all day I usually crashed by 11 (weird, and I am the youngest of the 4 of us).

Room Tip: Our block (H) was still overlooking the daytime "action" but far enough away from the nigh...
7 Thank MarciaMark
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments about our hotel.

Your honest opinion is very important because it allows us to meet the demands of our guests. On behalf of the entire team at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica again we appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Jamaica.

Yours faithfully,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was my 10th vacation to Jamaica.
This time we did the Sunquest Five Star Roulette which set our expectations to more than this hotel could offer. While at the Bahia Principe I was constantly reminded by hotel staff that I was not in a Five Star Resort. There were areas I could not sit in, internet stations I could not use, bars I could not go into (eg: The so called Exclusive/Diamond/Privledged Clubs.) When I go to a "5 Star resort" I do not expect to be upsold hourly on my vacation. It was a constant reminder to me that I did not get what I paid for.

On our arrival, we were given a room that was completely unsatisfactory for us. Philip from the front desk completely resolved this issue. Tonia - our housekeeper was also fantastic.

Overall we had a good vacation. The a la carte restaurants and buffet were pretty good. The pool was nice. The gardens are beautiful. The beach area does not have drink service so bring your insulated mug.

Problems
1. Sunquest presented this hotel as a Five Star.
Last year we stayed at Iberostar Grand Rosehall. That was a Five Star.
2. I was on vacation. Typically I was approached by sales people 10+ times per day. I did not want to be bothered by sales people who at time were ignorant. The many tourists I spoke with agreed with my assessment.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new wing are furthest from the best beach.
8 Thank pickleliner

Receive cordial greetings from Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Regarding your discomfort deeply regret the use of our private clubs.Indeed, our resort offers a number of up-grades for guests who wish to become members of these exclusive clubs, as Don Pablo Collection, Privilege Club, Golden or Diamond Club. Certainly these guests have a number of exclusive extras inclusions and areas reserved for their private use.

Sincerely we regret the fact that you left unhappy. We are in the business to bring an enjoyable, unforgettable experience to all of our guests. We accomplish this most of the time. The few times that we do encounter an unhappy guest we address the issue immediately and turn the challenge into an opportunity.

In the name of our Management and all our staff members we would like to apologize for the inconveniences that these situations might you cause and we hope that that, does not tarnish your perception of our Resort and you could give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Just got back Feb 6/13 from Grand Bahia and absolutely loved our vacation/birthday celebration. We were a group of 10 and had no problems enjoying our time together or eating together at the buffet or even booking into the a la cartes. The staff are such happy helpful people and always made sure you could find your room at all hours. The day of hubby's bday they showed up at the room with a bottle of champagne and a fruit basket! Lovely gesture. We tried a new a la carte, Picasso, and didn't find it nearly as good as the Don Pablo. We enjoyed Mikado on his bday and they seated the 10 of us together to watch our chef cook a delicious meal. A class act full of classy workers! Loved it! PS Chukka Cat is a must for the party atmosphere after Dunns River!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank M N
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear guest,

We are very happy to know that you appreciate our courtesy for your husband birthday. Certainly our main goal is not only to fulfill but also surprise our guest expectations.

We sincerelly hope to host you once again for your next birthday in this always your home in Jamaica.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
#27 of 80 in Negril
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!