“Relaxing and fun!”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Montreal, Canada
“Relaxing and fun!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was a fantastic vacation. I went January 2013 for a week with one of my friends and we had a blast.
FOOD was great at the buffet (a lot of variety) and incredible at the a la carte restaurants!!! Especially at Mikado (be sure to make your reservations early on during your trip).
ROOM no complaints with the look of our room. We had the junior suit. The only annoyance was our toilet. It was running ALL of the time. We called early on in the week for someone to come look at it and no one came. We decided to leave the washroom door closed and live with the noise until one day everything started leaking! We called someone again and again nobody came!!! We had to practically beg the front desk person to send someone. Very disappointing. However, this is the only bad thing that I have to say about the hotel.
STAFF was exceptional! Everyone was very welcoming and making sure you were having a nice stay. The animators, especially Oshane (unforgettable person), kept you entertained all day at the pool and all night at the disco area.
In all, a great vacation to Jamaica and would definitely recommend this resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ani_8919
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all, thank you so much for sharing with us that beside the maintenance inconveniences you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed your vacations.

We are very concerned about the issue mentioned and we will address this situation to our Maintenance Manager . Your opinion is very important for us.

Once again, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and we hope to host you again in the near future.

Yours faithfully,

Customer Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,117)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Ottawa
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Travelled Nov 30-Dec 7/2012 This may seem like I'm exagerating, but before we went I had read hundreds of reviews on many different websites regarding the Gran Bahia Runaway Bay. Skeptical is the best word to describe my state of mind. I had been to Runaway Bay several years ago when Hedonism 3 was still in operation so I had some previous experience with Jamaica and the area. We are a middle class working couple who saved for our first trip in 6 years. Bang for your buck is the best way to describe this resort. This place blew away my past memories of HEDO ( now Royal Decameron Fun). Ride from airport about an hour or so. Checked in on bus for our Golden Club reservation. I had contacted the resort prior to the trip and had requested a corner room in Building 18 with ocean front. We did get Building 18 , but no corner room ( these have the giant balcony). Couple of small issues with the tub drain, fixed very quickly.

Food was good. Buffet had good selection, very attentive service and lots of impatient jerks. On day 3, we showed up for breakfast around 9am and were told to go to Palmyra the smaller buffet . This was amazing, much quieter and less busy. Gregory made the most amazing omellettes ever. We chose to eat breakfast here the rest of the week. The a la carte's were great. The Grill was our first experience , spectacular, wife loved the steak and I had the cordon bleu. Tepenyaki ( japanese show) was very good. Never made it to Don Pablo , too tired that night. We were able to change our reservation at Dolce Vita ( bad reviews scared us) to the Grill and we very happy again. EVERYONE raves about the jerk chicken, but the only time my wife had some stomach issues was after eating the chicken. Myself, I thought it was good, but did not deserve the amount of fan fare it had received from the reviews.

Room was great, breath taking view, no noise. Beds are hard. To the people who complain about flooding in the bathroom. " Turn the shower nozzle away from the door towards the wall " problem solved. Jacuzzi was well enjoyed by my wife and I everyday. Mini fridge was stocked everyday with beer, soft drinks and snacks.

Yes the beach out front of the resort is not meant for swimming. More of a cove with some fantastic snorkelling just steps away from our room. Moray eels, baracuda, etc.... The west beach was beautiful, Donna at the beach bar was always attentive regardless of how busy she was. We chilled at the au naturel beach 1 day, only 2 other couples were there and a few pervert looky loo's peaking past the fence.

I had previously done the day trip to Marley's Mausoleum on my last trip to Jamaica. I did the the group tour with a dozen other people. This time I wanted to try something different. Made a deal with a resort taxi and he got a friend of his to take us for the day. Yes, this is NOT advised for the inexperienced tourist. Our driver gave us a day would will remember forever including good and bad memories. We stopped in Brown's town for some sunglasses and sandals for my wife and went to a local bar. Beer was ICE cold and a couple of the locals were blazing some joints inside the bar. I felt very safe and quite at home. The journey continued deep into the mountains, we had brought a couple of bags of candy and treats to give to kids along the way. The smiles we received were worth the trip alone. Upon arriving at 9 mile a group of locals directed the driver to park on the shoulder of the road outside the entrance to the mausoleum. At this point , I will state that I had read several reviews regarding the " Plantation Tour ". Typically, the locals will try to sell you weed etc...BUT one of the men said " come with me I am your tour guide". At this point, I grabbed my wife's hand and steered her through the group of men saying I'm not interested , I've been here before, and my tour guide is inside the gate". During the visit to Marley, we had the place to ourselves. Just the 2 of us , that's it. Very laid back aside from the grief at the gate. The Rasta band had just finished a song, when I jumped on stage for a photo op. Just so happens I am a musician as well, so I was able to jam a couple of Bob's songs with the Rastas. When leaving we went straight to the cab and made our way back to the resort stopping along the way to hand out some more candy to the kids we saw. Other people who made this similar trip have been taken on the Plantation tour in 9 mile and had to pay the locals off to get out of there. Be forewarned, have your wits about you all the time.

On a different day, we chose to do Dunn's River Falls and Dolphin Cove . We received an amazing deal from our Air Transat rep for both excursions. We had a amazing time swimming with the dolphins and stingrays. The vendors at Dunn's River ( on your way out ) are VERY pushy. But after dealing with the locals in 9 mile, this was a breeze.

We watched the Michael Jackson show and one other , both were good. The shops in Pueble Principe are willing to make deals and we only met one shop owner that was not as good as his word. The vendors on the beach ( only 2 ) are over near the beach bar. Great guys that are trying to make a living without being in your face about it.

We tipped our maid everyday ( couple of dollars) and we had also brought some cosmetics etc.. for her as well. Tipped everyone else that was deserving which is just about everybody at this resort. Waiters, bartenders etc..... were all fantastic.

Unfortunately, we had 4 days of cloudy weather and it rained very hard the day we went to Dunn's and Dolphin Cove. Obviously this is not fault of the resort but mother nature trying to annoy me. The last trip to Jamaica I saw 10 minutes of rain and sunny skies the rest of the 7 days.

If you have booked a trip to this resort, go and enjoy every minute you can. We debated on going to Royal Decameron Fun vs. Gran Bahia . The Decameron was $100 cheaper but we wanted a 5 star experience. I honestly don't think Bahia is 5 stars , but if you want value for your money and vacation memories that last forever, look no further. Thanks Bahia

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all ,we wish you had a very nice trip back at home

We are very glad to learn that you are satisfied with our service and facilities. It is our best award, and of course we really appreciate your time to post this experience in Trip Advisor.

Thank you so much again and we look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in your next visit to Jamaica.

Yours faithfullly,

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2013

When you walk in to this place youre greeted by the most beautiful grand entrance i have ever seen...no doors or windows...just amazing (all marble). The people and service is second to none. Everyone from your bagboy to the maintenance men (KEMOY!!), they all show you love and seem happy to be there. The rooms are nice, nothing crazy, a couple lights didnt work but they were fixed at the drop of a dime. Pool games were awesome thx to amelio and yasmani...i have never played so many cool pool games on vaca...pool bar is the place to be down there too. Beaches are nice but ive seen better, a little grainy. Food was unbelievable, jerk chicken is now my fav dish!! The best jerk chicken is located at the waterside lunch bar. Massive buffet room has great food too and service is awesome. Japanese Teppanyaki is unreal here, the chefs are so good...flames like ive never seen before.

Room Tip: ocean view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Curtis R
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay. It is always a pleasure to know that our guests have enjoyed their holidays, we will transmit your satisfaction to our staff and we sincerely hope to see you again very soon.

Yours faithfully,

Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I want to thank the staff at the Grand Bahia in Jamaica for a fantastic time that we had from Jan. 14th for a week.

We were told about the resort by one of our daughters, and we booked it. I also read Trip Advisor and must say that people who wrote negative things about this resort, are wrong.

We stayed in building #23 on the 7th floor and my wife and I had a dream vacation!! The alacartes were awesome and so was the buffet. The staff were wonderful and friendly, and very helpful. We felt safe at all times, and the night shows were fun too.

We will be going back for sure early Jan. 2014. We want to thank the Jamaican people for their friendly attitudes!!

The only negative thing was the in house staff that try to give you a cheap prize to set you up for a hard closing pressure thing, which I did not go to... my wife and I just did not make eye contact with the hucksters, when we walked by.

I look forward to retuning, and also we were very happy with Sunwing and "Trish" too.

Joseph

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear guest,

First we would like to thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica to stay in Jamaica. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you back in our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact us to assist you in your next vacation with us.

Yours respectfully,

windsor
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This review is a little past due as we travelled to Jamaica Oct 27-Nov 3 2012. We were with our children 9 and 13 and everyone had a great time. The hotel and the grounds are well maintained the grounds staff are always out working, trimming, fixing just working so very hard, everything is just gorgeous. The food is great with tons of options, my son and I are very picky eaters and we both had plenty of choices that were very delicious. Our favorite A La Carte was the Don Pablo, presentation was great, service fantastic and the food is unbelievable...5* all the way! For Halloween the buffet did a great job decorating and my kids just loved it, also after dinner they took the kids out for trick or treating through the shopping plaza and then after a great Halloween themed show. All of the staff were amazing, especially the girls in the kids club...could barely drag my son out of there. Animation team was excellent and they work so hard allll day long, remembering our names everyday and including my kids in the activities...big thanks to Veronica (kids club) and Shana (I hope that's spelt right) you guys went above and beyond for our kids. The extra touches like greeting us by name everyday and having our drinks ready before we even order at the pool bar really made us feel special. Also a big thanks to Melissa our concierge as she was wonderful. Our rooms were a little far from the action as we were in building 23 but we had an amazing view of the ocean, our maid had our room cleaned spotless everyday and always restocked the minibar. Also did not see even one bug in our rm, and I check everywhere all the time. Being in a humid tropical environment I imagine that bugs are bound to show up once in awhile, but they seem to do an amazing job making sure this doesn't happen. Next time I will just request a room more on the other side, closer to the beach. Once again a top notch vacation at the Bahia, thank you to all of the staff for making us feel like royalty on our trip, you are all awesome and you all work so hard to make our vacation a memorable one, I can't say enough about the service and the staff, just amazing!!! I would highly recommend this resort anytime!!

Room Tip: We were in building 22 third floor, it is very quiet on this side but for us it was to far from the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank dodgemom32
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your feedback. Our goal is to achieve maximum satisfaction of all our guests. We are happy to see that we have achieved this time with you. We look forward to welcome you back to our Resort.

Yours respectfully,

Barrie, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Our stay at the grand bahia was awsome the resort was clean inside and out . The staff was helpfull and friendly ,the grounds were beautifull and safe .Pool was clean and nice beaches
and plenty of fish to see snorkeling ..the food was delicious .... i could eat the curry goat with callaloo every day yummy...great jerk pork and chicken and so much more
we had mimosa every morning ...followed by a nice coffee...great breakfest ,lunch and dinners
a la carte as well
my only complaint is we didnt stay long enough...next time 2 weeks
irie mon
one love!

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the entertainment would be quiter if a light sleeper
2 Thank anthony n
Dear guest,

First of all hope you had a nice trip back home and we are very grateful that you took the time to share your experience with us. Our guest’s feedback always helps us to improve our service. We hope to host you in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We travelled Jan. 12 to 26... 2 weeks at this resort, our first 2 week vacation.
This resort is massive, not usually what my husband I would normally go to, we prefer smaller . The resort is clean and nicely manicured grounds. Lots of restaurants and 2 buffets, so food choice is not a problem. However, when we booked this resort we requested a room on a higher floor and an ocean view, our first room was on the second floor with a view of a palm tree! So we asked to move, really there was nothing wrong with the room, but we didn't fly that far to look at a palm tree. So now they moved us to the 5th floor with a semi-ocean view but it was an adjoining room (never get this room unless you are travelling with family and you want this type of room) with some 20 something's in the room, they came in every night drunk, loud, and continued through the night...the walls are very thin, just leave it at that. We stayed in this room for several nights, but they didn't stop...so this is day 6 and no sleep yet...so we asked to move again. We simply asked for a quiet room without an adjoining room door. They moved us to the best building #18, but put us between 2 families that yelled at each other in the halls and nothing against babies, but they didn't sleep! This is our only issue with this place. If you go, the best buildings are #17 & 18 with a west facing view.

Now back to the restaurants, amazing food, even at the buffets. The hotel staff may tell you that the Picasso is fully booked when you are making your reservations, but if you go there at 5pm and ask if you can get in, they will most likely let you in. We went there twice , both times we didn't have a reservation, but Jermaine and Sereena were awesome! The first time we ate there we just did the regular menu, the second time we went we ordered the lobster (there is an additional cost) and it was amazing...thank you Jermaine! The Italian restaurant....DON'T order the chicken Parmesan, I remember the reviews I read after ordering it....no joke, it is frozen chicken fingers in some really bad mushroom sauce. However, everything else was great. The Don Pablo is amazing as well. We should say thank you to Sergio Garrido, the Head Chef for the resort, he managed to oversee all the restaurants and the buffets, not an easy job and he did amazing!

The beaches, most people come straight out of the resort and go down to the beach out front, not realizing there is another beach behind buildings 17 & 18...the beach out front is pebbly, good snorkelling there. The other beach, beside the beach bar, has nice sand and is a much larger area. Oh yes, the beach bar, the best Jerk Chicken! You have to go down the stairs to get it and. There is usually a line, but so worth the wait!

All the staff were really nice and helpful. These staff members we wanted to say thank you too: Jessie (the far end pool bar, evenings) Jerome from Rome (the main pool bar) Nadine (housekeeping) Latoya,Alicia & Petta-Gay (Front desk) Jermaine (Picasso) Kelly (Palymar). If I missed anyone, sorry!

One last thing, make sure you leave a note for the housekeeping staff to CLOSE the door when they are done, several times we came back and the room door was not shut! Nothing was missing, but still!

Overall a great vacation! We just prefer smaller resorts!

Room Tip: Request the main building or buildings 17 or 18 and remember everyone's reasons for a vacation i...
3 Thank Laura T
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments about our hotel.
Your honest opinion is very important because it allows us to meet the demands of our guests. On behalf of the entire team at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica again we appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Jamaica.

Yours sincerely,

#27 of 80 in Negril
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!