A beautiful resort in an idyllic setting.
Wish I could add a half star.
The staff. Outstanding. Everyone was gracious and friendly, and proud of their resort. What wonderful people. We were upgraded (not sure why) and had Leroy Grant (who goes by "Grant") as our butler. Only four days into his current job he was incredible. He immediately made friends with our two daughters and our sun-in-law, and made my bride feel like a queen. If they're smart, they'll get him into the chain's management track before Marriott or Hilton steal him. The other "butler staff" was delightful, helpful and attentive as well. Everyone - bartenders, waitstaff, chambermaids, front desk, and the "green men" maintaining the grounds - couldn't have been nicer.
The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The pool is quite big and has a swim up bar. We didn't use it much because there was a bar about 30 feet from our recliners.
The spa is very nice as well.
There is a small sports bar, Ask Gregory to make rainbow shots.
Dinners in the ala carte restaurants were quite good to excellent. The buffet was average. The jerk chicken in the beach grill was very good. The waitstaff was attentive and friendly with the exception of one young lady in the Italian restaurant who may have just been having an off night.
Any facility in the islands needs constant maintenance. Our sleeping rooms were nice in design and decoration, but could are beginning to show their age and would benefit from some refurbishing. We had three rooms and couldn't open the sliding balcony door in one until we figured out the handles were installed backwards. Also, heavy rains one morning caused water to come under the sliding door in another of our rooms. Apparently some work was going on in the hallway because the carpeting was soiled with drywall dust. Also, the floor immediately outside the 7th floor elevator is uneven and easy to trip on. Should be easy to fix. All minor things - but they should be dealt with.
There are safes in the sleeping rooms but keys to operate them have to be obtained from the resort. Because we were upgraded, there was no charge but we heard that others were charged for theirs. A functional room safe is a standard amenity and those at Grand Bahia Principe should be modernized.
While the resort had nothing to do with it, it rained each morning and all day one day. Someone explained the rain was caused by the trade winds in January and February. Don't know that's the case but might be worth looking into before you plan a trip. We had more than enough sun late morning/afternoons - and there's always rum! Beaches were nice but the wind had the red flags up so we weren't able to snorkel. Again, not the resorts fault but weather may be something you want to look into when planning a trip.
All in all it was a very nice place and we would go back. Kudos to the staff - especially Grant - who did their best to "Jamericanize" us. No problems, mon, only situations!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 lake-style connecting pools with 2 areas for children 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace with gardens, sun umbrellas and loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 2 tennis courts, volleyball court, football pitch Water activity centre Pool and beach towel service WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo 2 buffet-style main restaurants and 5 speciality restaurants 4 Bars Snack bar Entertainment amphitheatre Meeting and convention room The 18 hole Breezes Runaway golf course is just 5 minutes from the hotel. Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, sports bar and disco Rooms 848 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Sea View Junior Suite, Club Golden and Club Hacienda Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Pillowtop mattresses Fully-equipped bathroom with separate shower and hydromassage bath tub, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ventilador de techo Sitting area with sofa Balcony or terrace Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children (aged 4 to 12) will have the time of their lives with these facilities: Children's pool Special shows and activities Entertainment team Mini Club (4 - 12 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Nudist area on the beach Bahia 'au Naturel' (over 18s only) The hotel has a nudist bathing area apart from the other areas ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, Priceline, Orbitz, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Hotel
- Grand Bahia Jamaica
- Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Runaway Bay