“Honeymoon”

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We arrived at the hotel on 25.11.12 for 4 night this hotel was not for Kids the adults was having Adult sexual fun broad day light in the pool instead of in their room. The food was not that good it got boring.The staff had no manners and the sale people tried to make you feel guilty for not buying there VIP rooms after 2 hours trying to sale VIP once you say no to the sale and received your free bottle of Rum and Rum Cream for coming they change their posh accent to Jamaican Slang lol we couldn't stop laughing. I travel a lot and I can surely advise not to take your kids there even though they had a Holiday Clubs for Kids the Kids Rep looked Bored lol. I would truly not return back there again But I did give a Tip to the cleaner who maintained the toilet she was lovely and was ready to chat an make you feel welcome, if I ran an hotel i would give her a job for Head reception because none of the receptionist had a smile or gave you eye contact. No Grand Bahia Principe for me or my Friends

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank matrix1968
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear guest,

Receive cordial greetings from Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica.

It is indeed with great regret that we have learnt that we could not impress you with our Resort during your stay. We are very concerned to learn that we could not fullfil your expectations with our Kids Club and our Front Desk. We would like to inform you that we have already addressed your comments to our Magament and departments heads to take good note about your opinion and discuss those issues.Regarding the Privilage Club sellers we also addressed your review to their Managers, again our apologies for any inconveniences that this situation may you cause.

Thank you so much for helping us with your opinion to improve our services and of course for taking the time to share them with us.

Customer Service Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (11,680)

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Arrived at GBPJ October 28 for a week. This was our third visit to this hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to returning sometime in the (hopefully) near future.

Beach and Pools: It is always a hard decision after breakfast whether to head to the beach or the quiet end of the pool but the beach won most times! I have no idea why some people say the things they do about the beach. It is beautiful, kept clean, and is sandy, safe and warm to swim in. The lifeguards keep a close watch on people and the swimming conditions and do not hesitate to change the warning flags or pleasantly let people know they shouldn’t be where they are and/or doing what they are doing is inappropriate. The beach was still being cleaned up after the hurricane and the staff were cheerfully working as hard as they could in the heat to make it nicer for their guests. There are other beaches for snorkeling or just sitting quietly. The pools and deck are big, kept clean and it is a beautiful area. Have never had a problem getting beach towels changed. If for some reason they have run out of clean ones we just go back later or the next day. – not a big deal. No complaints.

Rooms: We have now stayed in 3 different rooms with different views. We have never felt we needed to request a room change. This was the first time in the “Diamond” service. We had a beautiful room on the 5th floor overlooking our favourite sandy beach. Our room was clean with a king bed (which we had requested) and everything worked. We did notice there were only 2 bath towels in the bathroom so a couple of days we left a note for housekeeping to please leave us extra towels and they would. I think we must have had a different maid each day though as we found we needed to leave a note each morning with our requests for extra towels and extra water. No problem receiving them. It would have been nice to have met our maid(s) and known their names and this was the first visit that didn’t happen. Our room was kept clean and we had no mouldy smells or bugs. We have not experienced smells or bugs in our rooms on any of our visits to this particular hotel. The maids in the corridors were always friendly, smiling and happy to say hello, how are you. Yes, sometimes you notice a bit of wear and tear but that is normal when the hotel is not brand spanking new! Again, no complaints.

Food and Restaurant Service: We enjoy the buffet here more than any other hotel we have stayed at. There is plenty of variety and lots of different vegetables. We are vegetarian but do eat fish at this hotel as we like the way they cook it, and the variety of fish. I agree it is not always piping hot but it is buffet style so…. Also, if you walk around first to decide what you might want to eat before you actually begin filling your plate your food stays warmer. If you are looking for something, for example a banana for breakfast and there are none to be seen, a staff member will go to the kitchen and try to find one for you if you ask. They will always try to find what you are looking for but they may have run out, it may not be in season or it may be something they don’t offer. Staff were great as usual, lots of trainees that were giving good service. We were happy to see Kevan and Marcia still in the buffet for breakfast and lunch as they were there our previous visits and gave us a very warm welcome back, even though it had probably been close to 3 years since our last visit. They both always give great service with a smile and are very professional. We missed Raymond as we were told he now works in the A-la-carte’s. Can only comment on the Japanese A-la-carte (one visit at a regular table). We were disappointed as sake is no longer served and they don’t offer tofu as an alternative anymore but that’s OK things change. Can’t comment on Beach snack bar as we only stopped for French fries one day.

Bars: Friendly service (so my husband says as he usually spoils me and becomes my personal waiter) at the pools, lobby and snack bar. Beach bar by nude beach was great – I took my turn getting the drinks there. Colin is really good at his job and always looked directly at me when I ordered and I always left feeling happy from his lovely smiles.

The Rest: Grounds as beautiful as remembered. Lots of birds. Always someone working on the grounds and keeping the property clean and tidy. Saw the hallway carpets being vacuumed and even steam cleaned. They can only do so much cleaning up after everybody each day. Public bathrooms always clean, even at the beach. There were a lot more security personnel than before but they were friendly and I guess it helps the tourists feel safer.

We were not disappointed returning to GBPJ. We were welcomed “home”. We would like to thank all the staff for working so hard and for your smiles. We love the Jamaican’s as young and old look directly at you when talking to you, have lovely smiles and make you feel welcome. They appreciate tourists.

Thank to Marshalyn Dean for all she did to make our stay enjoyable. Thanks everyone for the smiling, courteous service you give and for your hard work at trying to please everyone from all walks of life. You all do a great job.

We stayed at a GBP property in Mexico a few weeks prior and it was not as clean, the food not as good nor the staff as friendly as the one in Jamaica.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank SerendipitySue

Dear guest,

It is trully a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay and you appreciate our hard work and efforts to make our guests stay the best as possible ... specially thank you for your congratulations to our Public Relation Executive, Mrs. Dean. We feel very proud and glad .

We hope to can have the opportunity to host you very soon once again and please for your next visit do not hesitate to get in touch with us for any special request or assistance. We will be more than happy to can assist you.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

A couple girlfriends and I planned a last minute getaway vacation to this resort earlier this year. Food, staff, entertainment crew, photographers, housekeepers, everything was just phenomenal! Every day we reminisce about our experience and how we wouldn't of changed a thing. I'd like to give reference to Antonia and her co-workers for making it as memorable as it was! Planning to go back ASAP.

Room Tip: I'd request a room on at least the second floor minimal just to avoid less insects that may snea...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sara L

Dear guest,

We cannot tell you how much we appreciate your kind reviews, certainly is the best reward that we can get, specially when we learn that you are already planning to come back ASAP...

In the name of our General Manager and staff Members, thank you so much again for your opinion and of course, do not hesitate to get in touch with us for any further information or assistance for your next visit.

Always at your disposal,

Reviewed November 15, 2012

this was the WORST trip we have ever taken. The service was terrible the food was terrible and the staff was rude. it was a group of us who went for a wedding. firstly my mothers blood pressure medication was stolen from her room. our bedding the WHOLE week was not changed once (and we left a tip everyday).our room was terrible. we had mosquitoes all over the room and so much mold behind the bathroom mirror we couldnt do what wee needed to do in the bathroom. another couple from our party had a man dressed like staff knocking on your door to come in a check that everything is working properly and then demand cash or he wouldnt leave, it turns out he didnt even work on the resort. security then had to be called. one night my husband and I were getting ready for bed and there was a knock at the door... we answered it and it was a prostitute. TRULY! then at the dance club on the resort every night the club was full of nothiing but locals. not to mention they messed up the wedding in all areas possible. we will enver ever be going back here again!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank amanda m

Dear guest,

First of all, receive cordial greetings from Gran Bahia Príncipe Jamaica, especially from our Customer Service department.

Thank you for taking time in writing us and giving us the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We are checking frequently and response to all the posted reviews on Trip Advisor and we are very concerned about the recently clients comments. I am glad to have this opportunity to comment on this situation and hopefully can clarify things for you.

I would like to comment that our Hotel Management is very concerned about all our guests, their well-being, safety and security during their stay with us are the most important to us. As it represents a huge responsibility for a big part of our staff, organization and a big effort in order to create a safe environment that satisfies our clients' requirements, especially on a special time when they do not expect more than relax and enjoy their holidays. We honestly are very surprised with the comments from some vacationers who are stating that the hotel has insects. We can assure you that we follow strict program of fumigation which are carried out continuously and we work with established sanitation standards, which are monitored continuously by internal and external audits. Indeed, the Tour Operators organize frequent visits to our Resort, in order to make sure that we follow the established safety and hygiene patterns. For your tranquility, we would like also to mention that Gran Bahia Príncipe Jamaica has been recognized by Crystal America Consulting - Check Safety Group, which on a frequent basis, audits our Hotels in all Hygiene and Sanitary procedures, for our performance in hygienic and sanitary risks control. However, due to the hotel’s structure, characterized by wide open spaces, and taking into consideration the Tropical Climate of the country, the presence of such species may not be avoidable at all times. However, we appreciate your observations concerning this issue. Please note that mirror are being changing.

We would like to inform you that we have strict security procedures and the right of admission to our Resort being totally off limits to people outside our property. Only allowed to members of our staff and of course our guests. We really surprised for your comments, however, we assure you that we take note and will try to investigate the situation mentioned.

Once again, thank you so much for vacationing with us and we sincerelly hope you could consider to give us the opportunity to can host you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just got back from Jamaica on Tuesday. We stayed at this hotel for 5 days, thank goodness it wasn't any longer. The resort itself is beautiful, however the rooms, staff and food could stand for much improvement. When we first checked in we were given room 17108. We walk in the room and find a maid cart, shoes, and a light fixture that belonged in the ceiling sitting on our sink. We contacted the front desk and was told they would send someone down immediately. After 3 hours of waiting I finally demanded a new room.
We were then moved to 17118 which was infested with mosquitos. There were 6 other couples in our group and 3 of the 6 also had to be given new rooms.
The coffee pot in our room was disgusting and literally had mold growing inside it. I complained to the maid about it and she took it in our bathroom and washed it out. Needless to say, I didn't use it as I'm sure that did not kill the mold.
Out of our 5 day stay, we only had washclothes left in our room 2 of those days. One day we wasn't even brought clean towels so we had to use hand towels to dry off with after a shower.
Everytime we called the front desk we were told someone (from maintenance or housekeeping)would be right there. However, no one ever showed up.
The food was just ok...the Japanese restuarant was good but the buffet could use much improvement.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank GMatthews24

Dear guest,

Receive very warm greetings from Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica.

Certainly we cannot tell you how deeply we regret and so much concerned we are regarding your opinion about your recent stay with us. We are very surprised with your comments and we would like to inform you that we have already addressed them to our department heads to take the necessary corrective measures and avoid this situation in the future. Our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused as a result of those situations mentioned and thank you so much for letting us know to have the opportunity to amend them and we hope to have also the opportunity to recover your trust again coming back to our Resort in the near future.

Yours respectfully,

Update to my review:

The first review was filled with spelling errors and haphazardly organized. Hopefully this more thorough, better organized review with help you. This review is organized by the following:
- Pre-travel arrangements
- Pros of the resort
- Cons of the resort
- Suggestions

This was my first trip to Jamaica but my third trip to the Caribbean. I have traveled more than most Americans and through my travels I have spent time on four amazing continents. Before I begin on the topics mentioned above, I would like to say overall, this experience was mostly worth the money. I enjoyed a relaxing all-inclusive vacation in beautiful Jamaica.

***Pre-travel arrangements:***
The hotel is about an hours drive from Montego Bay airport and about 30 minutes from Ocho Rios. If you would like be in the thick of things, this is not the hotel for you.

- I suggest booking your transportation to and from the hotel prior to your department. I booked transportation through Jamaica Exquisite Day tours. It was reasonable priced I found, $65 each way for up to 4 people. The driver was courteous and he even phoned to ensure we landed safely. Kuddos

- Email the hotel info.jamaica@bahiaprincipe.comand make restaurant reservations before your trip. You will have a better chanceof getting your preferred time and location.
My recommendations are listed below. You can visit the restaurant list at http://www.bahia-principe.com/en/hotels/runaway/resort-jamaica/restaurants-bars

o Don Pablos (this is not Latin inspired); it’s amazing. I recommend the mushroom soup and duck.
o Mikado
o The Garden Grill

- If you want to tour Jamaica, pick up some information from the Airport, ask your transportation driver (maybe you can negotiate a personal driver at a reasonable price). If your experience is like mine, the hotel front desk staff will not provide this information but maybe for you they will so ask. We all have our own experiences.

- Bring snacks in your carry own. The hotel gift shop is crazy expensive and there are no inexpensive locations within walking distances – please see note above, you are in the middle of nowhere. You may or may not have chips in your minifridge. There will be plenty of water and soda.

- I didn’t need bug spray but my friends, on the 4th floor while I was on the 6th, certainly did.

- Departing out of the Montego Bay Airport took an unreasonable amount of time– over an hour and it wasn’t busy, folks were just moving slowly. I suggest arriving a full 2 hours before departure. *maybe this was an off day but you never know*

***Pros of the Resort***
- My 6th floor room was amazing. I was able to sleep with the doors wide open everynight and not a single mosquito bite. I am a mosquito magnet FYI.
- Rooms are pretty nice. Bathroom was great.
- The resort is not overwhelming in size.
- The grounds are beautiful
- The restaurant staff is polite and in their defense, as they have received some negative reviews, these people are working incredibly long hours. You will see the same people at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- The activities staff is great. They are working all day long in the sun and are even entertaining in the evening. I was barely using kinetic energy, mostly lounging in the sun and only moving when I needed to eat or nap and I was tired. Kuddos to them for their spirit and endurance.
- The pool is plenty large.
- If you ask for more alcohol at the bars you get it.
- The a la carte restaurants that I had the pleasure to dine at *see above* were fantastic. I was very much happy with my meals.
- There is plenty of food at the buffet.
- Most of the resort staff are friendly.
- After day two, navigating the resort is a piece of cake.
- My room had an amazing view
- Rain passes quickly
- The beach is walking distance from the pool
- You can buy and drink fresh coconut milk for $2.00
- Guests at the resort are pleasant – met lots of interesting people.
- Rooms are nice

***Cons of the resort***based on my experience
- It was very difficult for my group of three to get chairs together and next to impossible to get a set of chairs under an umbrella. It is way too hot in the summer not to have more umbrellas
- Water activities are unimpressive
- Buffet is mediocre at best (its mostly American type food, Im American and I love American food but not blah American food in Jamaica)
- Breakfast buffet ends too early and we weren’t provided information regarding the hours.
- They don’t fully cook the bacon during breakfast – but there is a microwave so you can heat your bacon
- Floor layout is weird, just because you catch the elevator to your room’s floor doesn’t mean you will be able to get to your room. Some areas are apparently blocked off. I cant really explain this correctly but I will tell you it took some work to figure out how to get to my room.
- If you don’t make restaurant reservations prior to your trip, you make not have an opportunity to eat at your desired location.
- Doesn’t provide a welcome packet with activities and locations, restaurant hours, tours etc.
- Too much “figuring out on your own” to do
- Ocean floor is rough
- The amount of bees at the outdoor Jamaican restaurant is crazy. There has to be a solution for this.
- There are cats around the outdoor restaurant and I realize this is a con for many but it didn’t bother me.
- Onsite nightclub leaves much to be desired.
- My front desk staff comment in previous review is unfair – they aren’t all unhelpful, just there is a lack of information provided by staff but this is more of a management issue. I will say at other resorts though the front staff usually provides great information from the local perspective and this definitely was not the case at Gran Bahia. I am of course disappointed as this information about Ocho Rios would have been great but oh well my next trip.
- Some areas in the hotel need renovation. The 6th floor has huge cracks in the wall, including my room. There are damaged padlocked doors which gave me an eerie feel when walking to my room at night by myself.
- The hotel is nonsmoking but people are allowed to smoke on their balconies they it is essentially smoking as the smoke returns to the room. Maybe section off an area of the hotel for smoking.
- Beds are so firm. I had a hip injury and I was in terrible pain every morning because the beds were too hard to lie comfortably on my side.

***Suggestions***
- A welcome packet with information regarding tours, times, restaurants, contacts, activities etc.
- Section off a smoking block of rooms *see why above*
- Softer beds
- Step up you snack bar *its pretty pathetic* a candy bar and bag of chips would be a nice addition. Other Gran Bahia hotels offer better minifridge options. Maybe even a miniature Tortuga Rum cake, I love those!!!!!
- Increase the Jamaica feel. I realize this is a Spanish hotel, however, if I wanted Spanish I would have gone to Spain or perhaps Trinidad. There should be more Caribbean food on the buffet and a Jamaican dinner restaurant. Caribbean music in the lobby etc. whatever it takes.
- Fix damaged rooms and hallways. Remove those creepy doors. Makes me feel like I’m in the Shinning.
- Average guest stays four nights so we should have access to four a la carte restaurants *don’t be cheap when you’re already skimping on the buffet*
***- Increase security, be mindful that some women come to the resort solo and don’t want to be harassed by men whether guests or workers CONSTANTLY. Its not that I felt unsafe (actually at one point we did because of a bothersome guest that would not get the point).***
- Upon booking, shoot a friendly email about transportation, restaurants etc.
- Be mindful that we have choices. My stay was pleasant enough but I don’t think I will return unless the issues above are resolved. Im not sure if the owners just don’t take as much pride in this location as the others but there should definitely be more investment in making this as enjoyable an experience as the other locations.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank kshalayj
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us your opinion especially your recommendations to can improve our services. Those comments are the most important always for us because they let us know our guests needs and requirements.

Thank you so much again and we hope to can host you in the near future.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

very nice place lots to offer but no where near a 5 star as advertised. that being said we did have a great time here. the food was good the service was good...where they fall down a bit is how ell the place is kept clean in the hotel itself..i saw the same debris on the carpets in the hallways for an entire week ...not just small bits but lots of it... was easy to see that a vacuum was never used once... out hotel room had a stopped sink and a drain plugin the jacuzi tub that did not stop the water from draining...both issues that the maid was fully aware of but never called maintenance herself.there were many other things that prevents this place form being a five star. also...We spoke to many guests that booked here because they were at this chains hotels in mexico and the dominican..they were very upset people as they were really expecting so much more then what they ended up with.... We enjoyed our time here and nothing that was wrong was deal breaker as the place has very nice rooms attentive staff great beaches and the pool is amazing for those that like pools. If you can go to place and over look some small stuff you will like this hotel..but if you expect a 5 star and all the little things(some bigger ones too) that should be done right, as it is advertised as a 5 star.By all means you will be wee bit disappointed but not dismayed... 5 star pricing should mean you GET 5 stars when you arrive to your destination that being said i would return here but the price would have to reflect the facts above

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank don m

Dear guest,

Receive very warm greetings from Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica.

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your impressions with us. It is very important for us to receive this kind of communication to can evaluate our performance.

However we regret that we were not able to fulfill your expectations however as we just said, we are very appreciative of your comments and we put our greatest interest into your opinion and rest assured you that we will take good note about it to check this information with relevant department's heads to give these matters the proper attention. We have very clear that our guests are the most important, as well as their comments.

We would like to inform you that our carpets are being already changing for new ones, and they are normally vacuumed every 2 days.

On behalf of our General Manager and all Team Members, we apologize for the situations you experienced during your stay; and please do not hesitate to get in touch with us for your next visit for any further request or assistance.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Villa Sonate
Villa Sonate
#2 of 7 in Runaway Bay

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!