Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
$482
$330
Curio.com
  • Breakfast included
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
$543
$326
  • Breakfast included
Silver Creek Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
$100
$90
Franklyn D. Resort & Spa(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
$455
Cardiff Hotel & Spa(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
$133
Hotwire.com
Piper's Cove Resort(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
$85
Agoda.com
Club Ambiance(Runaway Bay)(Great Value!)
$220
$60
TripAdvisor
Salem Resorts(Runaway Bay)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
11,919 results
All reviewsjerk chickengold clubdon pablothe grilla la carte restaurantstime sharedolce vitakaraoke barbeach snack barmain buffetnude beachair transatjapanese restaurantorchid buffetface clothsair canadatowel hut
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Overall a very nice hotel with Nice Rooms, great beach and nice Pools. Let down by the Food and the Privilege club sales reps. Would i return – NO. Read on for a fair and honest review to find out why.

My wife and I stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica for 10 Nights 23 Sept 12 – 03 Oct 12. we arrived at the Hotel at around 1830 (0030 UK Time). Check in was efficient and straight to the point (less than 5 Mins), the check in girl didn’t seem the friendliest but after a 9 hour flight from the UK all we wanted to do was get to our room and chill so personally the check in was perfect and gets an A.

Our room was great, we were in room 18419 (18th Building, 4th Floor, 19th Room) and the view from the balcony of the beach, Lagoon and Caribbean sea were amazing. So view gets A+.

As for room, Queen size bed, CRT TV (US Channels), Mini Fridge, Hairdryer, Iron & Iron Board, Safe which costs $6 per day, Coffee Machine, Hydro Bath (with shower head), separate Shower. Sink (no Plug). Balcony. Overall room was good, very large and airy, a couple of small damages but nothing that you cant work round. So room gets an A.

Maid Service was OK, a bit hap hazard at times, twice they failed to restock the Mini Fridge, and twice they let themselves into our room even though we had a do not disturb sign up. This did not in any way spoil my holiday so room service gets a B.

The Food was terrible in the Buffet restaurant, i am in no way a food critic, in fact i am a very fussy eater, in that as long as its basic (im happy with Burger and Chips) and importantly HOT or at a push WARM then im happy. The food on most days at both breakfast and dinner was mostly COLD. The Rice was Cold everyday or it was every time either my wife or I had it. Chips = Cold, Pasta = Cold, Scrambled Egg = Cold virtually everything was luke warm at best. I have absolutely no reason to believe that the food was not well cooked, the problem lies in the self service area and its inability to keep the food HOT. After the second COLD breakfast i resigned myself to eating Toast that i grilled myself each morning. After the COLD first Dinner i stuck to having a Burger that i got the Chef to Re Cook in front of me so i knew it was Hot and nothing else. The service was also very hap hazard, it was very hit and miss if you were offered a drink by the table waiters, out of 8 evening meals in the Buffett restaurant we were only asked twice if we wanted a drink so we mostly drank water. So food gets a D- (Terrible) and service gets a C-.

The Jerk Chicken Grill was Awesome, so that gets an A+

The Italian restaurant was terrible, there was nothing Italian about it unless you call smothering all the food in olive oil Italian food? Plus it was at best luke warm so another D- (Terrible)

The Grill Restaurant was nothing special certainly not fine dining, it was edible (just). So C-.

The Beach was amazing, and the sea was awesome, loads of Sun loungers. Its a man made beach / Lagoon so its never rough at low and high tides perfect for chilling and snorkelling in. Of the 10 Days spent at the Hotel 9 of them were spent on the Beach. Why go to the Caribbean if you are not going for the Beaches and the Sea? So the Beach and Sea get A+.

The Pools were good, Lots of sun loungers, if you want a quieter time around the pool go around the other side away from the main pool bar and the DJ booth. Most people tend to congregate around the DJ Booth so move slightly further round the pool for a nice chilled experience. Pools get an A.

Check out was very efficient, again quick and straight to the point so check out gets an A.

The only other downside apart from the ones mentioned above is the Privilege Club sales reps. They just don’t leave you alone, they hang around outside the Restaurants waiting for you, walk up and down the beach harassing you, phone you in your room (i resorted to not answering the phone after the 2nd Call), stick envelopes under your door and basically harass you to collect your Free Gift, which means attending the 2 hour tour. Apparently the reps only get paid $20 for each guest that attend the presentation which is again apparently a hard sell time share. The only way to stop them is to basically either keep walking and ignore them or if they do manage to get you whilst static i.e on the sun loungers at the beach is to be blatantly rude to them. I did not attend the tour or accept the free gift.

Jamaica is awesome, just not at this Hotel due solely because of the Cold Food.

Room Tip: Blocks 16 - 17 - 18 over look the beach and lagoon, even numbered rooms face the pool, Odd Numbered face the Beach / Lagoon. Floors 4 or 5 have awesome views. floors 3 and below view blocked by palm trees. floor 1 = eaten alive by mosquitos.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank wildcard8844
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

Recieve very warm greetings from Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica.

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments, experience and suggestions with us.. It is important to note that we welcome your feedback, as it is through communications of this nature, that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from our guests.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience you could experienced furing your stay with us and of course,we are very appreciative of your comments and we put our greatest interest into your opinion and rest assured that we will be giving these comments the proper attention with relevant department’s heads to avoid this situations in the future.We regret that we were not able to fulfill all your expectations.

On behalf og our General Manager and all Team Members at Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica by Bahia Principe, we thank you for your valuable comments and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Took my two boys there for spring break. THe staff were wonderful and the beach was perfect. The food is pretty good...lots to choose from and always fresh. We loved all the activities but the music could be a bit loud. You have to pick your spot by the pool early if you want a chair. We felt very safe there. We went to Dunns waterfalls..take water shoes...was really beautiful to climb through the waterfalls. Don't go through the market! they will harass you like mad!
The river tubing was by far the best thing to do. They stop half way down the river at a very cool grill on the water. The guide was amazing. The zip lining was ok but not as good as Mayan Riviera. The only thing I didn't like in Jamaica was the constant looking for tips. Bring a lot of 1 and 5's. I would like to go to Negril next time to compare.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cndnpride

Dear guest,

Receive cordial greetings from Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica.

It is a trully pleasure to learn through your comments in Trip Advisor that you enjoyed our Resort and we could provide you a very pleasant stay. we are very proud to know that one more time we could reachour goal, provide to our guest and unforgettable stay.

Thank you so much for sharing those comment with us and we hope that when returning to Jamaica, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again at our Resort.

Yours respectfully,

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My daughter and I visited this resort on 9/22 - 26/12, this place was the best and I've traveled to Beaches, Sunset Jamaica Grande (both in Montego Bay and Ocho Rios) and the Riu in Montego Bay and none of these resorts that I've mentioned could compare in any way.

The previous reviews I read really had me wanting to cancel at the last minute, but I just read some up to the minute ones which were totally the opposite.

HOTEL:

The resort is absolutely georgeous, as its only 5 years old, always saw people working, of course the excursion crew awaits you, but all you have to say is "no"! The ride in is about one hour and fifteen minutes from Montego Bay airport and the staff was wonderful as I witnessed plenty of whiners at the desk. Question: how is it their fault that you arrived at noon and are pissed at them because you can't check-in until the time that you're supposed to. Rooms wanting to be adjacent to each other, they provided for me and my daughter as we were two doors down from each other. The staff is great as one lady was just rude and degrading in her tone to the male guy who worked the check in desk.

Even though I know we're all on vacation, have a little patience as the front desk staff served us with a smile at all times. The best staff I've ever encountered in Jamaica and I have stayed in Jamaica at least 10 times in the past 5 to 10 years and have met some rude people, but not one was found at this resort.

ROOMS:

Rooms are very similar to the beautiful ones that before this trip, I could only can find in Cancun/Playa Del Carmen resorts. There is a private shower, toliet is private, both glass door enclosed and there is a huge jacuzzi tub also.

NOTE: You should bring your own face towels because for some reason, they don't leave them once they otherwise perfectly clean the rooms. Calling the front desk is good, but we learned that quitting time is 5:00 p.m. for the maid service and if you need anything after that time, its virtually impossible to get it. Others who were staying there at this very same time, told us that they had the same problem with face towels, but to me its a quick fix, just bring your own face towels.

FOOD

If you're doing a 4 day trip, you'll only get one day of reservations, didn't really like this, but this is the policy. However, the buffet is not your average buffet, as the food each day was good. I didn't like the omelette station, no meats there, you have to get them and they'll put them in your omelette, that's my only disappointment, but there was plenty each and every morning to choose from.

We only visited the Japanese restaurant, the reservations was 6:30 p.m., and they really didn't get started until 7:30 p.m., that sucked, as we wound up missing the entertainment which was the Michael Jackson Tribute.

You can eat very happily at the grill on the beach as well, too many cats, I don't want to travel and eat with cats, but what I noticed is others feed them and so what's a cat to do! There were so many bees around the drinking station, so be prepared for that, the food however at the grill is great, the jerk chicken (my daughter) said it was the best she's ever tasted, I don't do well with the spicy food, lol!

A lot to choose from, side dishes as well. Overall, the food was great!

BEACH

I don't swim and this is actually the first beach ever that I felt so great walking out on the water, the bottom is like a cloud of sort, I don't know what they did, but such was great to feel on my feet. There is privacy, you just do have to walk and bring a large cup as there are no service attendants to bring you anything and the bar is far away from the beach in my opinion. They actually could use a little bit of help in this area, but oh well, still not enough to spoil it!

Lastly, they have a nude beach which was not advertised and OMG, um it was nice! However, they do require that you "take it all off", um, no comment!

ENTERTAINMENT

Nightly entertained, they have a disco, music too loud for me and too dark, but younger crowd would love it, they have a karaoke that's small, but a lot of fun and they also have a small casino room with about 10 machines, we both won, and others were hitting also! That doesn't happen in Jamacia.

If 10 or more people get together in the lobby on Monday, you get a free ride to Margaritaville and its free to get in as well.

Overall, don't believe the hype or the negative reviews, this place is nice and its not a 5 star, but then again, you're not paying 5 star money. We booked through Orbitz, great deal, great deal, shop around, and if you prefer a 5 star I suggest for couples Swept Away, or Sandals in Negril, otherwise, all the others will disappoint you as the rooms are old, musty and this place is a step up from all the rest!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Barbara B
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear guest,

We cannot tell you how we appreciate it you suggestions regarding our operation and servicies and about all, your time to share with us and let us know that we were able to provide you a very pleasant stay. Thank you so much for your support and for helping us to be better. Of course, that we have been taken a very good note regarding all your suggestions and we can assure you that they will be study carefully with all our department heads to work on them, and improve the quality of ours servicies.That is our goal, work on our guest satisfaction.

Once again, thank you so much for your positive reviews and we sincerelly hope to can host you in your next visit to Jamaica.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed October 3, 2012

came back on monday 01.10.12. after two weeks in paradise me and my boyfriend loved it!! the beaches and pool were amazing, the timeshare was a bit pushy although we went to the meeting we found they mqake it impossible for you to say no it was a nice way of seeing how the privelege lived no better than us in the other rooms apart from room service which didnt have aq lot of hoice anyway!! we would definatly go back the staff are lovely colin,down the beach was ace my bf gave him a cap he liked, so he looked after us on the cocktail side : ) plenty to eat, the buffet was ok lobster night was awesome, they have building work going on so couldnt chill on our balcony at all cos of the noise and banging but apart from that BRILLIANT!! defo going back to jamaica next year for our two week break loved the people and fell in love with the place

Room Tip: we stayed in 16302 lovely try and get a higher room to avoid mozzys
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank DONNA s

Dear guest,

It is a pride for us to learn thanks to your positive reviews in Trip Advisor that you were satisfied with our services and we could provide you a pleasant stay. We are very glad to know that again, we could reach our goal,reaching your expectatives. In the name of our General Manager and all our Staff Members from Gran bahia Principe Jamaica we would like to say to you thank you so much for taking your time to share this experience with us.

We arev ery sorry that owing to ou work in the new building you could not enjoyed your room balcony, fourtunately, this work is almost done,so there is no more noise regarding that. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

We sincerelly hope to have the pleasure to can host you again in your next visit to this lovely and beautiful island.

Yours sincerelly,

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here in March with my hubby and daughter. We absolutely loved it! The staff was amazing, the food was always delicious, the view was breath taking. I can't wait to go back! I didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: March 2012
5  Thank sssmurfette13
Customer Servic... B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear guest,

It is a pleasure to learn that we have provided you a nice stay with us.

Thank you so much for your positive reviews and we hope to have the pleasure to host you in the future.

Yours fauthfully,