This was my second time to Jamaica and a first for my husband. I am always concerned about reviews and spend hours on Trip Advisor before making decisions. We got a great price and decided to go to the Gran Bahia.
The hotel is beautiful and well layed out. Even though the beach is man-made and rocky near the resort the walk to the far end of the bay was worth it - quiet and away from it all. We were given a ground room which we were not comfortable with and when asked for a change were given a second floor ocean view room the next day.
A lot of people do complain that it is not a true 5 star - well no, not to North American standards but YOU'RE IN JAMAICA. People need to understand the differences in cultures and what a country has to work with. I have also notice the same type of people complain about other Carribrean countries. Stop being so narrow-minded. Also if you treat the staff with respect you will get it back.
We had a great time - weather was great - water was great. Food was typical buffet (not really my thing) but the a la cartes were good. Men, don't forget to bring closed toed shoes if you want to go to the a la cartes. This was the first we had heard about it (nothing previously on Trip Advisor and it was not an issue at the Gran Bahia in the Mayan where we were last year). My husband had to take off his leather "dress" flip flops and put on Crocks - quite funny. I felt sorry for the seating staff that took the brunt to the complaining - remember this is enforced by the Spanish management (who were there ALL the time by the way! Don't know when they slept...).
Beach snack bar had great jerk chicken. Loved the curried conch at the buffet.
All in all a great place - and remember to relax - you're on Jamaican time!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 lake-style connecting pools with 2 areas for children 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace with gardens, sun umbrellas and loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 2 tennis courts, volleyball court, football pitch Water activity centre Pool and beach towel service WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo 2 buffet-style main restaurants and 5 speciality restaurants 4 Bars Snack bar Entertainment amphitheatre Meeting and convention room The 18 hole Breezes Runaway golf course is just 5 minutes from the hotel. Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, sports bar and disco Rooms 848 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Sea View Junior Suite, Club Golden and Club Hacienda Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Pillowtop mattresses Fully-equipped bathroom with separate shower and hydromassage bath tub, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ventilador de techo Sitting area with sofa Balcony or terrace Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children (aged 4 to 12) will have the time of their lives with these facilities: Children's pool Special shows and activities Entertainment team Mini Club (4 - 12 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Nudist area on the beach Bahia 'au Naturel' (over 18s only) The hotel has a nudist bathing area apart from the other areas ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with KIPPIN S.A Lussemburgo Cadempino Branch, BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Hotel
- Grand Bahia Jamaica
- Bahia Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
- Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica Runaway Bay