“Great Vacation”

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed January 25, 2008

This was my second time to Jamaica and a first for my husband. I am always concerned about reviews and spend hours on Trip Advisor before making decisions. We got a great price and decided to go to the Gran Bahia.

The hotel is beautiful and well layed out. Even though the beach is man-made and rocky near the resort the walk to the far end of the bay was worth it - quiet and away from it all. We were given a ground room which we were not comfortable with and when asked for a change were given a second floor ocean view room the next day.

A lot of people do complain that it is not a true 5 star - well no, not to North American standards but YOU'RE IN JAMAICA. People need to understand the differences in cultures and what a country has to work with. I have also notice the same type of people complain about other Carribrean countries. Stop being so narrow-minded. Also if you treat the staff with respect you will get it back.

We had a great time - weather was great - water was great. Food was typical buffet (not really my thing) but the a la cartes were good. Men, don't forget to bring closed toed shoes if you want to go to the a la cartes. This was the first we had heard about it (nothing previously on Trip Advisor and it was not an issue at the Gran Bahia in the Mayan where we were last year). My husband had to take off his leather "dress" flip flops and put on Crocks - quite funny. I felt sorry for the seating staff that took the brunt to the complaining - remember this is enforced by the Spanish management (who were there ALL the time by the way! Don't know when they slept...).

Beach snack bar had great jerk chicken. Loved the curried conch at the buffet.

All in all a great place - and remember to relax - you're on Jamaican time!!!

2  Thank TazAB
Write a ReviewReviews (11,687)

Reviewed January 24, 2008

We have just returned from the Bahia in Jamaica and a 5 star it isnt. The room was musty and not cleaned properly, ( someone had spilt red wine on the tv screen and after 4 days i cleaned it myself ), i had to chase the maid up the corridor just to get toilet rolls in the bathroom, on 2 occasions i had to ask for towels in the bathroom, the beach bar and the beach grill both ran out of beer, in fact i only managed to a glass once in the whole week, the service in the restaurant was non existant most of the time, and if you want a drink in the evening be prepared tip very very well or you wont get table service and you will queue for ages at the bar ( there is usually only 1 barman to serve everyone and make drinks from the waitresses ). I visited the Bahia in Punta Cana where the service was very good and stupidly thought it would be the same in Jamaica, how wrong could i be, i have even complained to their head office without result so that just goes to show how interested they are in public opinion. This hotel is run on a shoestring budget and the staff have to multitask all the time, and it shows in the service provided, not what i expect from supposedly 5 star luxury.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank hushpuppyKent
Reviewed January 23, 2008

We stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Oct 21st-28th, 2007. We decided to try this resort because it just opened in 2007 and we had a great experience at the Gran Bahia Principe in Mayan Riviera, Mexico.

Rooms - I would highly recommend getting the Royal Golden Club upgrade. The rooms are a lot nicer and you get a few extra things such as an extra a la carte dinner (4 instead of 3), use of bath robes and slippers in room, a bottle of rum upon arrival, free internet access. The only part about the free internet I didn't like was there were only two computers available to use in the Golden Club room. We stayed in Building 11 and had a very nice ocean/pool view. The one thing about the rooms I didn't like was you had to leave your key card in the slot by the door in order to have electricity. If you took it out, there would be a few second delay before all the power would go off.

Food - The a la cartes were excellent, except for one, The Fisherman’s Place. We had very poor service and the waitress was not helpful at all. We asked a couple of questions about the menu, ie if certain dishes had octopus and she could not answer our questions. She had a very negative attitude, which made the overall experience horrible. The service was very slow. Other people who arrived after us, finished before us. One thing I would suggest is book your a la carte dinners the very first day you arrive. That way you can plan your week and have your dinners at a decent time. The food at the buffet was good, but very repetitive.

Beach - The beach was rocky and not very big. It was a nice place to lounge and lay out in the sun but not a beach to enjoy a walk on.

Pools - The pool area was very nice. It was not overcrowded, making it relaxing and peaceful.

Shops - Be sure to pack all items with you, especially tampons for those women out there. A small box of tampons at the gift shop were $8 US so be sure to think ahead.
If you decide to go on the Ocho Rios shopping trip, be sure NOT to go to the flea market area. The people there swarm around you trying to sell you their stuff as you enter their area, especially the ones who want to braid your hair. They pretty much take “No” for an answer. We told them we didn’t have any money (which was a lie) just so they would leave us alone. They watched us leave and made sure we didn’t spend any money. If you do decide to go on the Ocho Rios shopping trip, I would recommend you stick to the store shops. The people there are a lot friendlier and don’t harass you.

Overall I found this resort to be beautiful, clean and a nice place for some R&R. I would recommend this resort to anyone. Go with an open mind!

Stayed: October 2007
8  Thank nursychic
Reviewed January 23, 2008

I agree with" Loved the place !"from Oakville Jan. 16.... The room was great, the food is great, the swimming beach was great , the drinks were almost always great and if they werent we ordered another! The weather was great, the staff were great! Be happy ! you are on vacation! Don't sweat the small stuff! Everything is Irie Mon!

2  Thank bluebabe4
Reviewed January 23, 2008

If you go to this resort and do not have a GREAT TIME, its your own fault.The staff and service were EXCELLENT and FRIENDLY and they all were glad and eager to assist us in any way.I do not remember all the names but would like to say a big THANK YOU to all the staff and say I can't wait to go back.If I did'nt have kids still at home I would pack up and move there and apply to work at GBP.The people of Jamacia are wonderful and lucky to live in such a beautiful country.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank ltjester11
Reviewed January 23, 2008

My fiance and I just got back from four days at Gran Bahia Principe. We were looking forward to getting away and having a wonderful time. That we did not get (to say the least!) First of all, we upgraded to the Golden Club, which does not pay to get AT ALL. Our room was smelly. The bed sheets were always moist. The only good thing was the view from our room. We read some bad reviews on trip advisor prior to booking our trip but wanted to make our own opinions. The food was HORRIBLE!!!!! For such a huge place, there is only one buffet stylr restaurant. There were certain foods that we were able to pick at but NOTHING worth bragging about! YUCK!!! We are simple eaters and honestly did not expect anything fancy-AT ALL. One night we ate at Don Pablo restaurant. What a mistake! I chose the sea bass and to my horror it was so nasty I had to spit it out. To top it off, at that same restaurant we witnessed someone be rejected for service without a reservation and there were only three other couples dining at that time (there was enough space for them!) Ugh!! I would NEVER go back to this place again. It is not a five start resort AT ALL!!

3  Thank taycor831
Reviewed January 21, 2008

My husband and I went for our very first trip to the caribbean and stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe (Runaway Bay Jamaica) and we loved every minute of it. We were a bit concerned after reading the negative reviews but we had no problems at all. The resort was beautiful, the staff was very friendly and bent over backwards to make your stay there comfortable. Mind you if you give them attitude (which we noticed from many tourists) they would mirror it back. We met another great couple who said the same thing...worried at first they absolutely loved everything about jamaica and the people and claimed it to be their best vacation as well. My husband and I are very laid back and easy going and had no troubles with the staff. In fact we had the room service guy (Tamoya) calling every night to see if we needed anything (he brought up extra hot sauce and jamaican brandy for us!!) The only time I felt bad was when we had to leave. Jamaica is a beautiful country and Jamaicans are some of the friendliest people and we will def go back there one day!!! My advice...go there with the right attitude and you will definitely enjoy yourself! and it was worth it to get the "Golden Club"!

31  Thank HKCalgary
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Villa Sonate
Villa Sonate
#2 of 7 in Runaway Bay

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica? Share your experiences!