Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami
“Great value for the price”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We recently stayed at the Jewel Paradise Cove (June 2014) and must say am a couple minor "issues" away from a perfect stay! The resort is great, in a great location (not too far from Ocho Rios and just over an hour from the airport) and the staff is awesome. The food and activities available were also very good.

The minor issues keeping me from giving the Jewel a perfect score are:

1) No "background" music anywhere except for 1 speaker pointing to the beach. But if you're sitting at any bar or any of the wonderful hammocks located throughout the property don’t expect to hear anything besides silence or at the bars they would play the audio of the TVs. I’m sorry, but if I’m sitting at a outdoor bar enjoying a tropical beverage in a Jamaican paradise, or relaxing by the pool, I would love to hear some reggae or calypso music playing in the background! Doesn’t have to be blaringly loud, but something to make me feel like I’m really in the Caribbean! I can understand that during the World Cup Soccer matches, the audio of the match would be playing, but the matches were only 90 minutes twice a day! The rest of the day, I don’t care to hear the news or SportsCenter!

2) The meal times/options. Let me start by saying the buffet is excellent! I thoroughly enjoyed it each day and in my opinion, it more than makes up for the following issues I have with the other restaurants on site. Let’s start with the “formal” restaurant Platinum. Very pretentious! I can’t believe I took up luggage space with pants and shoes for this! I mean the waiters are wearing white Mickey Mouse looking gloves. Really?! The food was mediocre at best. Jade Samurai was actually pretty good and entertaining as it is teppanyaki style service, however, as for the Golden Sabre Sushi…that’s more of a tiny sushi counter to have appetizers while you wait for a real meal. The “rolls” were literally 1 tiny piece. When I order a roll at any sushi restaurant, it’s usually an 8-10 inch actual roll, cut into about ½ inch wheels, well just 1 of those wheels is what this place calls a “roll”! I ordered everything on the menu TWICE (which only took me about 3 seconds to eat) then left to go eat a real meal at the Italian place Moonstone, which is not bad at all. The pizza available throughout the day is very nice too for a quick hold-me-over bite. Meal times though are a bit of a problem though (mainly for dinner). Everything closes pretty early, by like 9. I like to enjoy the sun and activities throughout the day, have a few drinks as I watch the sunset around 7:30 this time of year (of course the drinks are enjoyed in silence because the bars don’t play music) and before you know it, I have about 30 minutes combined to get ready for dinner before getting shut out. Now, the Aquamarina Grill being open all night is nice, and saved me one night, but you’re limited to hamburger, hot dogs and jerk chicken (which is pretty good).

3) There’s nothing to do immediately outside the resort. We wanted to go and get an authentic Jamaican meal one night and were recommended a couple places in Ocho Rios but the cab ride was estimated to be around 80 USD round trip. That’s a little steep! Kinda makes me wish I would have stayed IN Ocho Rios instead! Maybe if the Jewel would provide some sort of shuttle service making a couple trips a day (and I don’t mean as a tour, even if it’s 15/20 bucks) something like that might be nice in order to allow people the luxury of enjoying the town at their leisure, but having a means of mass transit back and forth at set times, I think that would be nice.

4) Reef protection! This one really hurt me to witness. I am an avid outdoorsman and have grown up fishing and diving the reefs in the Florida Keys. While I don’t consider myself a tree-hugger, I do believe in doing my part in helping protect the environment to the best of my abilities. With that said, while on the snorkeling trip, I was floored to see the crew drop anchor right onto the reef and drag it until it caught. It caught so well that after several attempts at freeing it, a crew member had to jump in the water to release it, and all the while I was cringing at the damage that was being done. I consider reefs and underwater sea life to be absolutely amazing and this resort is blessed with pristine waters and a beautiful reef just off the coast that can be used to share such a wonderful ecosystem with millions of tourists who might not be so fortunate to have ever experienced something similar in their lives. With all its beauty though, the marine ecosystem is incredibly delicate, therefore, dragging a 50-60 pound anchor across it, 2 to 3 times a day, 7 days a week is absolutely appalling and extremely careless. Doing so is destroying the very reefs that are drawing millions of tourists to the Caribbean islands to begin with! And to think all the other countless resorts on the island are more than likely doing the same thing is unbelievable. I honestly don’t know how it has not occurred to anyone to install some simple mooring buoys in an effort to protect this natural habitat.

I know all this might sound harsh, but it really isn’t (well except for the reef thing). Overall our stay was great. I only mention them as constructive criticism because, at least for me, they are keeping the Jewel Paradise Cove as a very good resort rather than an unbelievable resort.

6 Thank csprague0413
Althea G, Ambassador at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to share, and appreciate you letting us know of your experience. Your comments will be used in a positive manner, as we continue to improve on our product from our guest feedback. We are delighted that you had a great time and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Althea Gibson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (850)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We just returned from Jewel Paradise Cove. It was our first time in Jamaica and we couldn't be happier with our choice of resort. I researched several resorts before choosing Jewel Paradise Cove. Everything was just as it looked in the photos. The service was exceptional and the staff went above and beyond expectations. We met great people there and had a wonderful time with all the things to do. Jewel offered many things included that were at an additional cost with other properties, including the transportation from the airport. We plan on returning again next year.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Denise H
Dear Denise

It was our pleasure to have hosted you , and delighted that you had a great time, and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Massapequa, New York
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel June 20 - 23, 2014 and had a most pleasurable experience. Upon arriving we were given cool towels and welcoming drinks. The Front Desk promptly checked us in and brought us to our comfortable room which overlooked one of the many pools. Although we had to take the stairs up two levels, that was ok as it helped us to burn some calories from all the delicious food and drinks that was available. The staff was very helpful and polite making sure that we were being well taken care of every step of the way. We also liked the idea of introducing the management staff, who were very hands-on. We had to leave the hotel premises a few times to visit family, and for our safety and protection, the staff asked us to provide information as to where we were going and recorded the license plate of the vehicle picking us up, we thought this was a great idea. The entertainment was fabulous with Barbie putting on a splendid show each night as an all-rounder entertainer. Her friendly manner and infectious smile made it all the more fun. Thanks for a great vacation.

4 Thank Marge251
Dear Guest

We are delighted that you had a great time and the choice of resort for your vacation was wonderful. It was our pleasure to have hosted you and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned from a weeks stay... From the moment we arrived we where treated with the upmost respect from all staff members we came in contact with... From front desk staff to waiters to entertainment crew... They all work incredible hard to make your stay perfect... The Buffett whilst not being the largest choice we have had in previous all inclusives....I have to say it is one of the best, in fact we only tried one of the other restaurants and that was moonstone (Italian) on our last night.. Food here was very good but service very slow...the hotel put on a 4th July party on our last night and whilst we are English we still enjoyed the entertainment and most of the American guests seemed to have a good time ... I would like to make a special mention about Molly she is one of the entertainment staff.... Always made time to come over and speak to us to make sure everything was good and so sorry we didn't get to say good bye to her.... But hopefully she will still be there on our next visit... Because we certainly will be back.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank paula602016
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us and delighted that you had a great time and enjoyed our resort. It was our pleasure and we look forward to your next return.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We just got back from a wonderful trip to Paradise Cove. Thought I'd share our experience because we enjoyed it so much.

Transportation: We used the transportation that was included with the resort cost. It was actually pretty convenient. They're constantly making the trips back and forth so we were on the road in no time. The trip to the resort is about an hour and fifteen minutes or so. We didn't have to stop by the other resort so we were there by noon. The drive is on a main road and some of the drivers actually have a lot of info they talk about on the way.

Resort: When we checked in they greeted us with a damp towel to wipe our faces off, and also with some rum punch while they finished the check in procedure. We were early so the rooms werent ready yet, but we sat down at the little grill and had lunch. They have the usual food there, burgers, jerk chicken, fries, etc. It's open 24hrs a day with amazing house-made chips and the usual nacho cheese. After lunch we were able to finally check into the room. We just did the cheapest one with no ocean view or anything. I was really impressed with the room. The resort has been recently redone so it had a lot of modern amenities. Big panasonic plasma tv, nice airconditioner with remote control. The fridge was stocked each day with juices, water, and some pop. All the rooms have little balconies that face either out to the gardens or in towards the cool pools. The bathrooms are great. Giant walk-in shower, good water pressure, soft towels.

The food was pretty good. There is the grill, which is right on the edge of the ocean. It has a big hot tub and siwm up bar connected to it. The food is ok. It's not going to win any awards, but it's alright. Much better than another resort we went to that was basically inedible.

The Coral Cafe is the buffet. It's open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We always had breakfast but rarely did lunch here or dinner. We glanced over it, but mainly just grabbed snack stuff off it.

There is a nice restaurant called platinum which serves higher scale food that tasted pretty good. The Japanese restaurant does the typical grill in front of you fare and was actually a great dinner. They have sushi in it as well. I don't eat sushi, but my wife said it tasted good, but unfortunately she wasn't feeling well the morning after and that was the only thing I didn't eat that she ate.

Our favorite by far was the italian place. Has great pizza and I loved the ravioli. The service is pretty slow, but it's on the edge of the ocean too so it's nice to just hang out and talk or listen to the ocean.

There was never any wait at any of the places. It was really nice.

One of the best things about the resort was that there are tons of little nooks and crannies to hang out in. There are tons of hammocks, hot tubs, cabanas, just all kinds of places to get away and have some quiet if you need. The beach was pretty empty so there was never a problem getting either sun or shade chairs. As far as the beach, it's not going to be winning any awards. It felt more like hanging out at lake Michigan. The resort is situated in a cove so the water is really calm. You won't really hear the ocean waves crashing against the beach, but the water temp was nice so I wasn't complaining.

Activities: There were lots of different things to do. They had little shows and such at night. There were get together's for movies, honeymooners, etc. The water activities were easily accesible. Anytime we got bored we could go grab a kayak or paddle board and take a little trip around the area. We went snorkeling twice and did the sunset cruise (which was really fun). You can do the snorkeling too for free which i wish I would have known. The only thing was the guys working the water sports borrowing area are obviouly over it. They're on their phones and such and kind of had a little attitude, but really I can't blame them. They're just sitting and handing you life vests and taking the same tourists out on the boats back and forth. The guides doing the snorkeling and sunset tour were in much better moods which was great.

We did the dunns fall tour which we were glad that we did. It's super busy all the time so don't go expecting this romantic or personal excursion. It's filled with groups going up it, but it's pretty cool none-the-less. We were told by multiple people that the shopping excursion wasn't really worth it. They basically drop you off in a tourist trap then let you hang out in Margaritaville for a little less than an hour and then bring you back. So we just skipped it. Make sure you sign up for stuff the moment you get there because all the little trips filled up fast.

General other stuff: We did kind of an experiment. Tipping is supposed to be included and we noticed that without tipping you still got served, but seemed like you were invisible for a while. But the next day when we dropped a couple bucks each time we got drinks and the difference was completely night and day. Drinks were waiting for us before we got up to the bar sometimes. So just keep that in mind. It's definitely worth it to drop a couple bucks and get way better service. Especially at the beach. When going back to the airport they will sign you up for certain times for the shuttle. Our flight was at 1230, they had us on the 750am shuttle so we ended up being super early for the flight.

So overall, we had a great little trip! we'd definitely go back again. We lucked out with it being so dead during our visit. I could imagine it getting pretty packed with a lot of people there. Definitely recommend it for others as well.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms I can't imagine would be worth the extra cost. There are huge trees in front o...
13 Thank Seth M
Althea G, Ambassador at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Seth

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and appreciate you giving such a detailed one; this will be shared the staff as we continue to encourage them to deliver the service that is expected and exceptional. I am happy that you enjoyed all that the resort had to offer; and found all the nooks and crannies to relax. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

New Jersey
Reviewed July 5, 2014

My husband stayed at this resort from 6/24/2014 to 7/2/2014. It was very nice and here is the breakdown:

Front Desk and Concierge
The people were very nice and they did their job very well. As soon as we arrived they gave us cool towels and the Gem of the Day drink. We were brought to our rooms promptly. Our room card deactivated a few times and they reactivated it promptly. The concierge did a great job and were able to get us into the hibachi restaurant. They were also very polite.

Bell Desk
They were very polite and prompt.

Wait Staff and Bartenders
They were polite and prompt. They appeared to not have a ton of people always staffed, but they were as fast as they could be and were always correct with each order.

Water Sports and Water Sports Staff
They were pretty good. We went on the sunset cruise and it was a blast. They had the photographer on board with us and he was very funny. We also used the kayaks twice and never had a problem signing them out. They always had plenty of towels. They had paddle boards and a paddle boat (one seat was broken on the one paddle boat). They also had a hobie cat and a glass bottom boat tour.

Housekeeping
I think they did a great job. We figured out early on that if you need something, just write them a little note and it was as good as done. They don't fill your minifridge up before you get there, but you just have to tell them what beverages (no alcohol/unless you upgraded) you want and it will be there after they clean your room. Also, if you need towels they will give you what you need if you ask. Please keep in mind my husband and I tipped every day. We did not leave a tremendous amount of money. Just a few dollars and the service was excellent.

Coffee Attendant
There is a little coffee hut on the property. They did a very nice job setting up the place and the service was good.

Pools
There are three pools on the property and we never had to wait for a chair or umbrella.
They were clean and all of them had swim-up bars.

Gym
It was smaller, but very clean and fine for vacation.

Entertainment and Entertainment Staff
Every person on the entertainment staff that I encountered was very nice. They did their best to get people involved without being too pushy. We loved the trivia games and other games during the day. I think it was harder to get people to join because of the layout of the resort. Two of the pools are far from where the daily activities are. I think if the activities were posted and announced at the other two pools they may have gotten a bigger turnout. The night entertainment was good. No complaints. It wasn't always our thing, but they did provide it. The fire show, dancers, and goat racing were definitely worth seeing.

Restaurants

Buffet
The buffet was pretty good. The breakfast and dinner were pretty good. The lunch buffet had a decent amount of food, but I don't think they made the spread as extensive because there were two other choices for lunch.

Pizza
The pizza place was great! We are pizza snobs due to living in an area (Southern New Jersey/Philadelphia Region) that has an amazing amount of pizza places and great quality and this pizza was very good.

Grill
The grill was great. Yes the portions are smaller than what you get at home if you live in the U.S., but the place is all inclusive and you can order more than one wrap or a second sandwich if you are very hungry.

Hibachi
Lots of fun, but make your reservation as soon as you get there. It gets filled up fast!!!
The food was great and the show was fun!

Sushi Place
If you are from a place with several sushi places and near a major city, you may not be that impressed with the variety. However, what they do give you is tasty and they do a very nice job with the presentation of the food. Keep in mind there is limited seating.

Italian
Very good food and the service was good. We had a very nice waiter and there was soo much
food that we couldn't order dessert. Also, they were very accommodating. My husband asked for extra lamb chops and it was "no problem."

Platinum
The food was pretty good. The service was also very good. I don't think my husband felt it was good enough to wear pants two times during his vacation. We had gone to the Platinum in Jewel Dunn's River and I would say the food was excellent there. This place did not have the same offerings.

Beach Party and Dinner Under the Stars
The food and service were very good. The entertainment at the Beach Party is not to be missed.

Beach
We did not go to the small beach, but it looked tiny. The larger beach was not that great. It was hard to swim in because there was sea grass everywhere. We are used to seaweed, but this was a little ridiculous. It covered more than half the swimming area and was several inches tall. However, if you just want to lay out and occasionally go in to take a dip to cool off it is fine.
There are plenty of chairs and palapas. We never had to wait for a chair or some shade.

Room
We had a standard pool room and it was fine. The shower was very nice. No problems with ants. That can often happen in tropical climates!

Other Things That were Available
They offer a trip to Dunn's River Falls and a shopping trip that included a stop at a Margaritaville. I thought that was nice that they included that. We had already been to Dunn’s River more than once and had done plenty of shopping trips, so we didn’t bother to do that. They also transported you to Margaritaville more than once a week at night, but it was just not our thing, so I can’t say how that was.

Overall
Overall it was a nice resort for what we paid. We traveled to Jewel Dunn’s River in Ocho Rios last year and I felt that the food and beach were much better. I felt that although the food was tasty here, they appeared to have went with cheaper selections and not as much variety. The room was slightly nicer here. The pools were much bigger at this place.
Keep in mind this resort is not going to be quite as fancy as Couples Tower Isle or Iberostar Grand, but those adults only resorts on the island are also a lot more expensive.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank travelchic34
Dear Guest

We thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review and appreciate you letting us know your experience in all areas. Again; we thank you and looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We are not first timers to Jamaica, so we understand the pace of how things go. After all one of the reasons we keep coming back is exactly for that. It's slow down time which is why I don't understand some of the things others mention. Why I am giving a 4 star review is that I want to be fair and give clear expectations for why this property should be considered by those who want a more modern, maybe upbeat environment. Our previous visit was to the Jewel Dunn's River and our experience was fabulous. ( I have posted a review here as well if you care to search for it). We decided to try the newest property since the majority of reviews were so positive. I can't really say anything bad about this place but I don't think we will choose to come back. Nothing to do with the resort itself and it's greatest asset is their staff who we found to be so friendly and attentive. I feel it's the atmosphere and vibe which is more modern and less traditional and elegant. I guess because we felt so spoiled at the Dunn's River location our experience there will always be hard to surpass.We found the rooms to be comfortable and well appointed. We did enjoy the big walk in glass shower and our room was kept spotless and well supplied. The style here is quite modern compared to Dunn's River. I guess I missed the more romantic ambiance, four poster carved bed, extra little touches like a flower on my pillow and our room with the mountain view and generous private balcony. Our room here overlooked a pool in the center of four buildings with balconies all around. So what we saw were the balconies across from us. For the most part if you are out and about it really doesn't matter, but it would have been nice to not just see this and the balcony was a little small. Jewel properties do a good job of providing lots of options when it comes to their restaurants and we did try them all. Their buffets are a great way to try some local cuisine and new things along side the familiar. The bartenders are always generous with the pour and make some really delish drinks. Caution: some are a little potent! The stars here truly are their staff who we found to be so very nice and accommodating. I would recommend carrying a few dollars with you from time to time to say "thank you" to those who go above and beyond. A five here and there is so appreciated and it's really not much. I wish I could recall all the names of those who especially stood out because they are so hard working yet always have a smile and warm greeting. Our funniest encounter was with the little hibachi chef at the Jade Samurai. Where but in Jamaica can you get a really good Japanese hibachi, cooked by a sweet, comical young lady who got our table laughing by joking and even singing Kenny Rogers songs while she whipped up our dinner. I'm not saying don't go here but think about the vibe you are looking for. If you are looking for modern, more upbeat atmosphere then this is for you. If you like a little more romantic, traditional feel and gentler pace try Dunn's River. IMO, we will go back to Dunn's River next time. But in either case The Jewel group has not disappointed us.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room if you don't care to over look other balconies. Please see above.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Violet L
Dear Violet

Thank you for taking the time to share your review; and delighted that you enjoyed our resort. I'm sorry that the feeling was not as expected at Jewel Dunn's, but happy that the brand on a whole, delivered the service that you expect. I am also delighted that our staff took care of you and the service was impeccable . We look forward to hosting you again at the Jewel brand and thanks again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton

Property: Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Address: Paradise Cove Drive, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort and Spa)
Location: Caribbean > Jamaica > Saint Ann Parish > Runaway Bay
Bar / Lounge Beach Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Spa Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Luxury Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Top resorts Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Green Hotel in Runaway Bay
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$
Hotel Class:4 star — Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection By Hilton Jamaica