Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great Hotel!”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We recently stayed 4 nights at Jewel PC. The hotel was nice and clean. The staff was outstanding and very helpful. We loved the variety of free activities that were included especially the Sunset cruise and the trip to Dunns River Falls. I definitely recommend everyone take that tour! The drinks were awesome and very potent! The food was good and they had a lot of healthier options which we loved. The hotel was pretty quiet and it was very easy to relax. We also enjoyed massages at the Spa which were wonderful. Our only complaints are the following: 1) they need to skim the pools more often. Most of the times we got in the pool, we were having to wade through debris. 2) we used the gym however they need to have more free weights. They had 5lb weights and then the next weight was 15lbs. It would have been nice to have 10 or 12 lb weights. I think we would have used the gym more if they had a better selection of free weights. 3) Our mini bar was only stocked once in the 5 days we were there. It would have been nice to have bottled water stocked daily so that we didn't have to keep going to the front desk or spa for water. Overall, we loved the hotel and would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a relaxing fun vacation.

3 Thank Kirose79
Althea G, Ambassador at Paradise Cove at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to let us know of your experience, and also for letting us know of the great hotel we have. It was our pleasure to have hosted you and will definitely use your comments to improve our product and looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Althea Gibson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This resort was absolutely Phenomenal! My boyfriend and I traveled down and booked last second at the Jewel Paradise Cove. They were incredibly accommodating and the woman who works in reservations, Dadrian Saunders, was a sweetheart to deal with. We loved it so much that we stayed a few extra nights!

Where to even start listing off the wonderful things about this resort. From the moment we stepped off the bus and we were greeted by beautiful weather, a stunning property and welcoming staff holding cool towels and drinks we knew this would be quite the stay. It only got better from there!

The check in was quick and simple. They were well prepared and had us in our rooms within 15 min of arrival. Colin and Candi assisted us a few times at the front desk and they were always kind and helpful.

Our bags were taken to our room and we were given a mini tour of the grounds on the way. We stayed in building 5 and we're pretty sure we lucked out with the best one. It's very close to the end of the property, away from the pools and noisy areas, but a two second walk from the smaller beach and the pool with the swim up bar and grill. We had a view of the ocean from our balcony and would enjoy quiet evenings relaxing there with a drink. The room was a good size and very clean. The bed was soft and large with a ton of pillows. There were always cold drinks in the fridge, although no beer, but it was no trouble to take a 2 min walk to go get one in the pool.

The grounds are so beautiful here! everything is well manicured and they layout makes it feel very spacious although it is a much smaller and more intimate resort. There is no shortage of things to do here! we tried the morning glass bottom boat tour, snorkeling on the reef (incredible, so we went twice!), sea kyacking, and the Dunn's river falls tour. There were other things we wanted to get to, but we just figured we will have to come back again to try them all. This resort offers so many inclusions that you would have to be here for two weeks just to try them all. The beach was beautiful, a little bit smaller but more than enough space. It's great how intimate this resort is, without 900 people on the property you really don't have to fight for a beach chair. In our whole week we never once had an issue finding a shady spot on the beach.

There are a 3 pools on the property and all of them contain a swim up bar. Our favorite quickly became the one by the ocean with the jerk chicken grill.Tarek is the main bartender at this location and he's a great fellow. Quick service and a great laugh! The grill offers a variety of things like wraps, burgers, hot dogs, fries, nachos and popcorn, but the winner is the jerk. The jerk chicken is amazing! big portions, always tender, packs a good kick so order it with a beer, but not too spicy as to make your cry.

The food here was pretty great, like I had mentioned before its a smaller location so the selections in the buffet were a little slimmer but we always found something delicious. We did the buffet for breakfast, they had fresh fruit, a different variety of eggs, cold meats and cheeses, cereal, potato, veggies and an omelet station. If you enjoy something, don't expect it to be there the next day, but it will be replaced with something delicious. They certainly keep the variety going.

If you feel the need for a pick me up after all the sun and cocktails there is a little coffee shop in the middle of the grounds. There's a super sweet fellow named Ovral who is there most days. My boyfriend loved going to stop in for a coffee and a chat with him whenever he could.

We also had the chance to eat the Jesters court pizza for lunch a few times. The beauty of this resort is having several a la cartes, but the only restaurant that needs reservations is the Jade Samurai. The pizza place is right on the ocean with a bar up top. It turns into the Italian restaurant at night. The pizza is made right there in a brick oven and it's amazingly delicious! We tested out the Platinum club as well for supper, unfortunately I fell ill and we had to leave shortly after ordering (I took in a little too much sun) but the kind waiter brought my meal up to the room! My boyfriend had the pork and I had the stuffed chicken, both were simply delicious.

On top of all the activities everyday they will give you the Jewel Times slipped under the door of your room in the evening for the next day. It lists all the sports instruction (tennis classes, yoga, power walking...) games and events at the pool, showtime, performers and events.They have a wonderful entertainment team here and they keep things moving all day! You will notice them around 10 am and they keep going until well into the night. A few that we got to know a bit were Swagg, Kimiko and Barbie, they are fantastic people and you will see them around your whole stay. Some of the special events we got to enjoy were the talent show (my boyfriend participated and did a pretty good job, somehow ended up on stage with a bunch of cheerleaders.. but that's another story), several musical acts, a beach BBQ meal with goat races, and dining under the stars on the pool deck. These people work incredibly hard putting on great shows and making sure everyone has a fantastic time. You will notice a fellow around the resort a lot taking photos of everyone, his name is Gerneil aka Paparazzi and he's a great guy. He doesn't pressure you to buy anything, just takes lovely pictures and time out of his day to chat.

I could probably ramble on about this place forever. We had such an incredible time and we can't wait to go back. This place was a slice of paradise with outstanding service and amenities. The staff truly make this place come alive, they are amazing at what they do!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 5, very quiet and close to pools and the ocean without the noise. I think all...
3 Thank Jessi W
Dear Jessi W

Thank you for allowing us to host you and delighted that you had a great time and it was our esteem pleasure to have hosted. We are so looking forward to your return.

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed May 3, 2014

This was my first trip to Jamaica and I was extremely excited about staying at this resort. It had great reviews on here and beautiful pictures on the website. Overall, it turned out to be a pretty relaxing vacation. We did not have any true inconveniences until our last day.

Food: There were usually plenty of choices when it came to meals. The food quality is average. We ate pretty much everywhere and weren't too impressed with any particular restaurant. I think Platinum had the best food. They did make my date go back and change out of his flip flops (even though he had on a button down and pants), meanwhile skimpily clad women were allowed to dine without hesitation. The hibachi grill and sushi bar aren't that great, but if you do want reservations, you better make them asap because it seems to fill up quickly.

Beach: The seating was plentiful and there are many things that you can do. We did a couple of the water sports without any problems. The beach staff were very nice. My biggest complaint is that the actual "swimming area" is very small. The water is not very deep at all and if there are a lot of people in the water, I can see how it might feel crowded.

Rooms: Our room had plenty of space for the two of us. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was very nice. We were on the third floor of Building #8 and I can definitely say that if you want to take any afternoon naps, this is not the building for you. Every afternoon, they blast music at an obnoxiously loud volume. It sounds like there is a speaker directly outside of your door. If you're looking for a little more peace and quiet, I might suggest a room further away from the main pool.

Service/Staff: Pretty much everyone we came into contact with was amazing. Everyone was very accommodating and the staff members were always smiling. We did have a little trouble with getting our room cleaned/fresh towels occasionally, but nothing that truly inconvenienced us. The piano bar guy is great and we went there a couple of nights and had a great time.

Management: AWFUL. Daine and Camille were inconsiderate, belittling, and unaccommodating.

Our departure day is what has forced me to give this resort such a low rating. We awoke around 9:30 that morning and started to get ready for the day. We noticed an envelope under our door and glanced at it quickly. We saw that it was a bill for bottles of wine we had ordered throughout the week, so we set it aside and went to breakfast. We returned from breakfast and started to pack as we had a 3:15 flight out that day. We were under the impression from our check-in that our shuttle would be leaving at noon. At 10:50 we received a call from the front desk asking if we were coming down to the shuttle for the airport. We were extremely confused and told the front desk that we weren't packed yet and that we had just returned to the room. We were then told that there was not another shuttle leaving until 2:00 that afternoon and that we would have to make our own arrangements. We attempted to pack quickly and asked the front desk to call us back with other possible arrangements, as a trip to the airport was supposed to be included in our travel package. They did not call us back.

We came down to the front desk around 11:30. We first talked to Camille who stated that we should have looked at our envelope earlier. We told her that it was not in our room the night before and that all we had seen was a bill that morning as we left for breakfast. Apparently, this envelope had our departure time on it... somewhere. We never saw it. After explaining that we had not seen our departure information and that we had not received any other notice, Camille became agitated and hostile. She informed us that "someone" had spoken with us at 7:50 that morning and that we had not only confirmed our departure time, but we had refused the shuttle service. We were in absolute shock. Her statement was nothing short of a blatant lie. We had not spoken with anyone that morning (as were asleep at said time) and we definitely did not refuse our ride to the airport. She then stated "it's our word against yours". At that point, we asked to speak to the manager.

Daine, the manager, approached us very defensively. He was rude and did not even bother asking us questions or trying to help us get to the airport. He approached us with the same misinformation that his staff (Camille) had provided him with. He assured us that "someone" had indeed spoken with us that morning. Despite the fact that we were never truly notified of our departure time until the shuttle was leaving, he insisted that we should have known and that we had plenty of notification. He offered no help and told us we needed to find and pay for our own ride to the airport.

We pretty much gave up trying to talk to management. We asked for a taxi and ended up paying $100 for the ride. As we were waiting on the taxi, my date mentioned that we would take the matter up with corporate once we returned home. At this point, Daine offered a $50 voucher towards a taxi fee to which we politely declined as we were completely frustrated at this point. The attitude of the management was completely demeaning the entire time that we had tried to talk to them and then they offer a little help once corporate is mentioned? Nope.

Overall: We enjoyed our stay at the resort, but I will not be returning. Daine and Camille had awful attitudes and made our last day/departure extremely stressful. I'm sure there are other resorts that would be much more accommodating and pleasant towards their guests.

Room Tip: Rooms in building 8 are a bit noisy due to the constant loud music at the main pool and game area di...
17 Thank LGJ83
Althea G, Ambassador at Paradise Cove at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Guest

It will be our pleasure to address your concern with regards to the service issue stated that was received. Firstly, let me apologies for you not getting the shuttle included, which is by means no fault of the hotel. Your departure envelope that has your shuttle pick up time along with your bill was delivered to your room on the final night. You stated that you saw this on the morning of on your way to breakfast at 9:50, and took out the bill, and did not look at the other information. Your schedule pick up was at 10:50am, which will still allow you time to get the shuttle. It was also revealed that the tour desk, who handles the transfer spoke with you that same morning.

At your arrival at the lobby, it was explained that at check in all information is shared with regards to the hotel and transfer and is included in your arrival envelope, when showed what the transfer voucher looked like you stated "oh well maybe I overlooked it". At that point it was explained that the only option was a taxi, because the next transfer would not be until a later time, which would not be conducive, due to your flight time. An offer of USD50.00 was offered to assist in offsetting the taxi cost, which you refused. You also tried to leave the hotel without paying your bill, and when approached about it, you yelled 'what", and it was explained that your final bill needed to be settled. You aggressively sign and went on the taxi.
I
mmediately after you left, your room 834 was checked and the envelope given at check in was still in your room, with all information still untouched.

We wish all the best in your future travels, and despite the service I am happy that you had an overall good stay.

Manchester, Maryland
Reviewed May 3, 2014

JPC was everything I dreamed of and more. The staff is what makes this resort 5 Star. The food is varied and good. The drinks are delicious and plentiful. The water, beach and views are beautiful, but the staff is what will bring me back. The level of service and personalization throughout my stay was phenomenal. From the first moment after arrival I was welcomed and treated as a queen. My favorite bar was definitely The Sunken Treasure in the evening, Dwayne, Ryan and crew keep everyone smiling and happy. The best part was that for someone like me, looking to relax, this resort is perfect. My brother was my travel companion and was looking for an adventure, also perfect, because there is so much to do. Beach Party was a hoot. I recommend the bus trip in the evening to Margaritaville to dance and have a good time.So much fun. I am already trying to schedule another trip, can't wait to return. Thank you JCP for my favorite vacation ever!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Kimberly B
Dear Kimberly

We are delighted that you had the time of your life and it was our esteem pleasure to have hosted you and looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Wisconsin
Reviewed May 3, 2014

This resort was the old hedo-3 but you would not know it now. They remodeled it with new balconies on all the room, redid the bars, took out the mirrors, remodeled the rooms, redid the stage, built a new workout gym and spa, remodeled the restaurants, and many other changes. I been to the other Jewels and this one is the cleanest and newest of their resorts. So if you have no kids and just want to relax and enjoy Jamaica go to Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort and Spa. The staff is wonderful from the general manager to the Bar staff. The Resort is run like a well oil machine due to the wonderful work of Barbara Burton the general manager. She has the art of listening to her staff and guests so your vacation is dream come true. So lastly I want to thank the wonderful staff on our visit to your fabulous resort.

3 Thank WisconsinGorilla
Dear Guest

Thank you and it was our pleasure and happy that the service and the staff was at it's best. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We had the best stay at Paradise Cove! I emailed before going and asked for gluten free. When I arrived they introduced me to Chef Marlon and he made it so easy for me! I didn't get sick at all, and the food was perfect. He mentioned a few times that they work with food allergies every week, and are equipped to handle it. I have never had a resort take such good care of me though! They had gluten free bread, soy sauce, desserts, pizza, pasta, and made sure I knew what I could and could not eat.

My husband played in every competition that they offered (volleyball, soccer, water slide races) and really enjoyed his stay.

I enjoyed the beach/cove and all the water sports. I paddle boarded almost every day, but also went snorkeling. The resort also has hobie cats, kayaks, water skiing, diving, and boat rides. We participated in almost all of these. The staff at the dive shop was great, and we couldn't have asked for more. If you want to do something and don't see it - ask!

Some of the reviews I read talked about the portion sizes being too small - we don't agree! At the pizza restaurant (which we ate at 3 or 4 times) they provide personal size pizzas, which are great. Platinum (the fancy restaurant) provided a full 3 course meal, and I was so stuffed! The hibachi restaurant was great and we loved the show - the food was perfect too! There were a ton of dining options. I was surprised that we never made it to the buffet for dinner, because we did the dining events and restaurants instead.

Other reviewers mentioned a lack of towels. The one day we got there at 10, they had just run out but a few minutes later they fresh towels. We didn't find this to be a problem. We also kept our towels from the day before, just in case of such a problem. But now we think that wasn't super necessary.

My husband and I really loved the daily schedule we received under our door each morning. We could then loosely plan our day around what we wanted to do.

While we were there they had special dining events. One night they had dining under the stars and then another night they had a beach party with dinner. All of these events are listed on the daily schedule.

During our stay the other guests were very friendly, and we met new friends while we were there. Most of the folks we met were celebrating anniversaries or on vacation. There were a few people with their adult children. We liked that the resort was 18+.

The ride from the airport took about an hour, which we didn't think was too bad. The airport isn't bad to wait in either. We did Club Mobay for our departing flight since we were going to have to sit for 3 hours. Something to look into.

We were also pleasantly surprised that their drinks are not watered down like other resorts we have stayed in. Lots of different drink options!

After staying at the resort, here's what I would do next time:

- bring refillable cups! The bar will fill them up with drinks or smoothies!
- Must watch the sunset from the "sunset bar" (on top of pizza restaurant)
- the Platinum restaurant is open for breakfast at 8am. Same food as the buffet, but it is air conditioned and has full service. We really enjoyed eating breakfast here, and we were always the only people in the restaurant for breakfast.
- On your first day, you should reserve your hibachi dinner, sunset cruise, and any tours.
- Men need pants (not jeans) for eating in Platinum - and it's worth it!
- If you want to do Club Mobay (for the airport), you can book this in the lobby for a discount
- Go to the coffee bar! It's great!
- If you get hungry after dinner or middle of the night, there is a bar open all night - try their jerk chicken!
- The photo studio does a good job of taking photos. You have to go in and go through the photos to find yourself, so try to remember what day you say the photographer and where. We did the free photo shot (15 minutes - which produced 60 images), and were very surprised that we liked so many of the photos.

Overall, we loved that there were lots of activities offered, but no pressure to do them. You could do as little or as much as you liked. I never felt harassed to participate in a game or activity, unlike other resorts. We loved getting to know the staff, and we were surprised that we did so - normally this doesn't happen. We got to know their names, jobs, and when they would be at the resort. The GM has a great staff there, and all you have to do is ask for something - they'll make it happen.

10 Thank KaitlynMiller
Althea G, Ambassador at Jewel Paradise Cove at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear Guest

It was our esteem pleasure to have hosted you and delighted that your dietary needs was taken care of and you enjoyed our resort, and your husband also had a great time. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Palmyra, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 1, 2014

My husband and I spent 9 days in Jamaica at Jewel in March for our babymoon. I was actually kind of worried about the length of the stay, because being pregnant meant that I couldn't fully enjoy the all-inclusive aspects (the bars), or many of the activities (like most of the water sports, the slide, scuba, etc). The resort is rather small and I get stir crazy sitting around for too long.

It turns out being bored wasn't an issue. We filled our time with the many excursions the resort offers (bioluminescent bay and Dunn River Falls hike were our favorites and even though it says pregnant women shouldn't do the hike, I did just fine. Just took it slow), kayaking, sailing, snorkeling and the spa.

The resort itself is very clean and new, the beds are comfortable and the property feels well maintained. Compared with pictures of other resorts we had looked at when deciding where to stay the photos of Jewel didn't impress me much. It didn't have particularly epic views, the rooms seemed a bit stark in their decor and the beach was small.

And when we got there it was confirmed that this is not a 5-star resort in terms of being luxurious—do not go here if you are looking for something upscale and fancy. But if you want a laid-back, comfortable and safe feeling place to relax and have fun, this is definitely it! I really enjoyed how many places there were to go on the property and be away from the crowds. And yet, for a small resort they always had activities going on, like dinner under the stars, live music and bon fires on the beach. It really was the best of both worlds.

The food was good—not fine dining—but definitely very palatable and there was tons of variety.

The only issue we had was with the dive shop; the instructor refused to take my husband for scuba diving because he noted he had tubes in his ears as a baby on his medical release form. He asked for a doctors note, so we found a Jamaican doctor to examine my husband and sign off on his medical waver. The divemaster still wasn't comfortable taking him out and told us we needed an American doctor to sign off—kind of difficult when you are already in Jamaica!

We eventually talked to the watersports manager and the resort manager and they graciously offered to have another instructor come in from another Jewel resort, who would be willing to take my husband out. We were super surprised that they were so willing to try and help us. My only wish is that we hadn't waited 3 days to talk to them, since the disappointment and frustration of wanting to scuba dive kind of ruined those days for my husband.

In the end, we were really thrilled that the resort management went above and beyond to make the situation right and make sure we were satisfied. Any negative feelings about our experience disappeared and we were able to fully enjoy the rest of our vacation.

2 Thank farrtwin1
Althea G, Ambassador Jewel Paradise Cove at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear Guest

Thnak you for your review and delighted that you had a great time and enjoyed our resort. Looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton

Property: Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Address: Paradise Cove Drive, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort and Spa)
Location: Caribbean > Jamaica > Saint Ann Parish > Runaway Bay
Bar / Lounge Beach Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Top resorts Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Spa Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Luxury Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Green Hotel in Runaway Bay
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$
Hotel Class:4 star — Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, BookIt.com, Priceline, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection By Hilton Jamaica