“We enjoyed a slice of Paradise”

Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The Jewel Paradise was a perfect destination for us. We were looking for a relaxing vacation where we could spend time lounging in the sun and it did not disappoint. The resort is beautiful and the attention to detail is obvious. The resort is a perfect size so everything is an easy walk from your room. The personal touch was evident from the time we checked in which, was a quick and easy process, and continued until we checked out. Our room wasn't ready but the cool towels, cold drink and buffet lunch more than made up for it. Our room selection and gift that was provided for our special occasion visit were an exceptional touch as well. The food was great, the Platinum restaurant was excellent and the Moonstone was outstanding. The pizza was delicious and don't miss the jerk chicken at the Grill. (Shout out to Albert who made us snacks each night of our stay and who couldn't have been any nicer or more accommodating)
But by far the best thing about the resort is the staff who are the best we have encountered in any of our travels. From the groundskeepers, to lifeguards, to maids, security, front desk, servers, they ALL went above and beyond to ensure our visit was perfect. We never passed a person who didn't ask us how we were, if they could help us, bring us anything, and everyone always had a smile for us. Absolutely amazing. Orlando and Brent-Lee took great care of us on the beach each day. All that having been said, the bartenders at the Lagoon Swim Up Bar were the best of the best. Pearson, Jason and NaShawn were AWESOME. They remembered us each day, had drinks ready for us, made sure our selections were available (or went and found them for us) and entertained us each afternoon while we enjoyed happy hour(s) with them. There was much laughter and we were late for dinner a couple nights because we didn't want to leave the pool bar!
We didn't do much in the evenings, by choice, but the entertainment in the Coral Cafe was good, though we weren't interested in the Disco or Piano Bars we heard positive comments from the other guests. We spent our nights strolling the resort, enjoying the beach and "chillin". There were a variety of activities during the day. We chose not to participate as it would have meant leaving our beach chairs. We liked that they were available but there was no "pressure" to participate.
Our only complaint was that we didn't book for a longer stay! Will we be back? YA MON!!!

8  Thank BobandKatie
DaineG, Manager at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and it was our pleasure and delighted that you had a great time, and thanks for taking the time to recognized the staff mentioned. Looking to host you again soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Smaller resort with very helpful staff, good food and a relaxing atmosphere. Best food is the egg guy Merric cooking during breakfast. It is crazy how much pride he puts into each and every omelet he makes I didn't tip him until the last day of the stay mostly because he doesn't expect tips and it didn't cross my mind until the last day. He honestly puts an outstanding amount of pride into every meal he makes regardless of tips, he was the most deserving staff member I saw. All and all and excellent vacation value and I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a smaller place or a place where you don't have to play the towels on the chairs at 6am game. Excellent place to recharge the solar cells in the middle of winter.

6  Thank Pklesp l
DaineG, Manager at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time express your gratitude to the staff Merric, for the outstanding job he did. this will be shared with him, as we continue to provide the excellent service.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I 1st want to start with, we had a great time. Met a ton of fun, great people. The weather could have been better ( it rained everyday), but even with that we found ourselves making the best of it. I'm going to start with the negatives.....
1. I read so many reviews that stated the service was outstanding but I must disagree. There are a few that yes are outstanding and went above A+++ service but then there were others that wouldn't score a C. The staff as a whole was very friendly, happy and willing to do anything for you and this includes the grounds staff, lifeguards, and cleaning crews. Where I was disappointed was the wait staff around the pools or on the beach. They would only wait on the guests that were 20yards from the bar, any farther you had to swim/walk to the bar to get your own. You may be asking, "Did we tip?" Every drink, every time!! Didn't make a difference, no! One time we timed them just to see how long it would take and gave up after 45 mins before going to the bar ourselves. You may be asking "Were they really busy?" The time we waited 45 minutes she stood net to the bar at least half that time, waiting on only the people sitting at the tables. it was really hit or miss. we found it easier just to get our own. The bartenders were all great. We tried to get a pizza 3 different times and sat there 20 to 30 minutes each time, nobody came to take our order so we left. The service in the restaurants is fabulous. With that said I think there service with the wait staff around the pools needs a lot of work and I score the very low at best.
2. The beach is ok. They try to keep it as nice as possible but can only work with what's there. Small, brown sand, and the water gets weedy the farther you go into the bay. But it was nice and clean with plenty of chairs.
3. I wish there was a towel station set up in several location so you could get a fresh towel when you needed one. You could always get a fresh towel with the lifeguard at the pool near the 800 block, or where you sign up for water activities, or the front desk. So really not much of a complaint. I just wished I would have known that on the 1st day not on the 4th. I as walking back to the front desk every time I needed a fresh towel, which when you are at the furthest pool was quite a walk.
4. The evening activities start way too late. I believe if they started like at 9:30-10 more people would attend, but by 11:30 everyone went to bed. I know I did. You play all day(hard), eat dinner, and then you have 1 to 2 hours to sit and the longer you sit, we'll you know what happens, by 11 o'clock everyone is so mellow that they all turn in. The one night they had karaoke it started at 9:30 and only lasted about an hour (8 songs) and everyone was into it and wanted to continue. They should make that longer. It was a lot of fun!
5. The shower! Whoever thought of putting a shower in a garden tub wasn't thinking. We flooded the bathroom every shower. There is nothing you can do to stop it. It's a shame too, cuz that beautiful vanity is going to rot. Take out the tub.

Now for the positives:
1. The resort layout is fantastic. 3 pools each unique in its own right. The swim up bars with tables and stools in the pool is fantastic. Best layout I've seen so far. Loved it!!!!! Water slide is fun! Each pool had a hot tub each one a different temp. The warmest one was the one by the aquamarine bar. Plus there is a glass bottom hot tub. All very large in size and warm just like a hot tub should be. Nice plus!!!
2. Drinks: they did have some premium alcohol but you had to ask for it otherwise you got the cheap stuff. When I say premium that's a stretch, absolute vodka being the top, no grey goose. It was ok.
3. Food at the restaurants was very good and very small portions. My husband left hungry after every meal, until we found out you can order multiple entrees/appetizers. The Italian restaurant was outstanding!!! So was the Platinum. We didn't get to the Hibachi. The Buffett...well it's a Buffett. Some good food some not so good. The omelet maker it over the top good at what he does.
4. The rooms: we were in the 700 block with an ocean view. Loved it. The location was good, view was beautiful, and the finishes in the room are. very nice. The flooding of the bathroom with the shower is the only negative. Maid/turndown service needs no improvement, outstanding. Nice soft beds, lots of pillows and nice linens. I wish they stocked the fridge with Red Stripe but I guess you have to have the butler service for that.
5. The complimentary water activities/excursions is a huge service at this resort. Taking you out to the reef snorkeling, scuba diving, sailing, ect was so nice. We had a great time. Including the Dunn River Falls and Shopping excursion is another A+++++ in my book. This resort goes over the top in this area. Keep up the good work. We did book an excursion on our own through Peat Taylor tours and that was to the Coo lBlue Hole. All I can say is google it and book it, you will not regret!!!! I can not say enough about that excursion.
6. The resort is a little tame in my opinion. We did get a little wild a couple of times and that was the two days it rained on/off all day. We sat in the hot tub and entertained ourselves. Had a great time. The other days were very relaxing. So party when you want and relax when you want. We did find the pool by the aquamarine/warmest hot tub is where more of the party people hung out or maybe that's where we made the party.
7. This resort is very clean and the staff is constantly trying to keep it that way, always working so hard. Tip the grounds keeper or the lifeguard they go out of their way for you.

Book this resort, it will not disappoint. We had a great time. Our ages: late 40's but everyone thought we were in out 30's. haha

4  Thank Lisa I
DaineG, Manager at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank for taking the time to share your experience with us, despite the few hi cups mentioned, I am delighted that you had a good time. Your review is greatly appreciated and the issues will be addressed. Hope to host you again soon.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had been frequent visitors to Jewel Runaway Bay, but decided to try something different after it became a family resort. After listening to other reviews, Paradise Cove seemed to be a great alternate. And it was, in fact in many ways a much better alternate.
The staff were awesome from the moment we got off the bus! Donovan and Collin! Great welcome back!
Our room in building 6 was beautiful! Immaculate and comfortable, Michelle provided excellent service! The only problem with the room was the jacuzzi, and getting in for a shower was awkward for me. I will request a room with a shower next time.
The grounds were awesome, lush, full of birds! This was where I spent a lot of time watching and photographing the variety of birds on site. Corey provided a great two hour nature walk of the grounds and I loved it! He's full of knowledge and very funny, make sure you do it. Barbie also gave an orientation tour on our first day and she's pretty knowledgeable as well. Take advantage. In my quiet strolls around the grounds with my camera, I got to chat with IceBurgh, the tennis instructor and Bishop, the fitness instructor, both very nice, warm and friendly, and even know a little about the birds! If you're a birder, bring your camera and your binoculars. There are a number of species of warblers, doves and pigeons, the mockingbirds, a three species of hummingbirds. With a little patience, you will find the Red-billed Streamertail (the endemic Doctor Bird) by the tennis courts between the Poorman's Orchid and the Mango tree. You'll also find the Black Hummingbird and the Bee Hummingbird there as well.
The pools are great! Very clean and pretty, some say they were cold, I say they were perfect, never hesitated to dive under, there was rarely anyone in it! There were a few hot tubs and soothing jet pools in the pool area to relax, the only busy area seemed to be by the Aquamarine pool where the hot tub is 102F. I used it once, but never saw anyone get out, hmmm...
The beach is good, sand is a little rough, very gritty, not like the sand at Runaway Bay at all, but never a problem finding a place to sit and lots of Shelter. The water in the cove is warm and refreshing! The best part was the exceptional bar service, Orlando and Brett-Lee did an awesome job of looking after the guests on the beach.
More about the grounds, I loved the boardwalk, the fit trail was a great add-on, the chess patio awesome, never won, but we enjoyed playing. The covered games area was fun! There's lots to do here, and when the rains come, no problem!!
Food is excellent, no shortage of places to eat. Try Platnium and Moonstone Sophia, excellent food, great variety, exceptional plating and delicious! Orval was our server, he treated us like royalty! I didn't enjoy the Jade Samurai, I've had it many times at Runaway Bay, it felt like they were trying too hard to entertain. I'm sure it's a work in progress for many new staff and will improve, no problem!
Watersports - my husband is a diver and the reason for coming. Unfortunately due to weather and sea conditions, he only dove twice. This was a problem and will be the reason my husband won't want to return. The resort is situated on the outer side of the bay with Northwesterly winds that make it difficult to get the boats out safely. This particular week posed some great challenges. In seven days the flag was green once. If you like getting out with the Paddleboards, kayaks, or paddle boats, sea conditions can change here in a moment and shut down the water activities. It was hard for my husband to see the dive boat going out from Runaway Bay and not being able to get out.
So you know, there's still other fun to be had. Volleyball on the beach, a hoot to watch staff vs guests! Lots of entertainment, great job on that Swagg, Dyce, Barbie and Blinkz. You guys rock!!!
And to the management, you're doing an awesome job. Thank you Barbara for welcoming us back and taking time from your busy day to chat. Thank you everyone for a wonderful holiday in Paradise!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
9  Thank MargandDoug

Dear Guest

It was our pleasure to have hosted you and delighted that you had a great time, and that the staff ensure that your staff was a fun filled and memorable one. Looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

This was our fourth trip to Jamaica. We spent 7 wonderful nights and returned home on Jan 19th. The Jewel Paradise Cove is a FLAWLESS DIAMOND. Our stay here was the best we ever had in Jamaica. Yes the beach is small but with plenty of cabanas and palm trees. Never once did we have to play the beach towel chair game. At any time of the day we could always find the perfect place to relax. our room was in building 8 with an ocean view. It was cool enough in the evening to shut off the air conditioner and open the door listening to the surf all night long. House cleaning was excellent. Mini fridge always stocked and plenty of extra towels. Be sure to take advantage of the water sports especially Scuba. Lloyd the dive instructor takes his job very seriously. He closely monitors everyone during the pool training and the actual dive. I can't thank him and the dive boat crew enough for an experience I will never forget. We also recommend the Spa. The girls there gave us the best we ever had. Ask what the daily specials are and you will same some $. Dining can't be beat. All of the restaurants are great. Our favorite was the Platinum where we had three dinners. The steak is out of this world. We couldn't have gotten better in the best Chicago steak house. Second is Moonstone by Sophia. The pasta tasted fresh made. The Jamaican style pizza at Court Jesters is not to be missed again the pizza bread and cheese is very fresh. The jerk chicken at the beach grill is fantastic. Evening entertainment each night was full of energy and a lot of fun. I have saved the best for last. Service and Hospitality. In all our travels we have never experienced service at this level. From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave. From the concierge to the ground staff everyone has a smile and a greeting for you. Phone calls to the room asking if everything is ok and is there anything you need. Bartenders and servers who remember you name and the drink you prefer. The guys on the beach running not walking to bring you the drink you asked for. After a very short while they make you feel like family and friends. I want to especially thank Errol, Collin, Bernell, Bret-Lee, Lloyd with two Ls, Dyce and the dive boat crew. There are just too many to name. The list is endless and my memory too short. All of the staff should be complimented by the management. We will be back. NO PROBLEM MON.

Room Tip: It is worth the little extra price for the ocean front.
17  Thank retired199501
DaineG, Manager at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, and delighted that we are a flawless diamond. It was our absolute to have embedded those memories and the staffs mentioned ensure that those memories will last a lifetime. I say a huge thank you again, on behalf of the management and staff and looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I am writing this as we sit in the to fly back state side. The group @ Paradise Cove set a new bar for my wife and I with all inclusive resorts. This was our second trip to Jamaica after staying at the Jewel Dunns River last January.

The Jewel staff last year and now at this property define customer service and highlight for us what is missing in customer service in most places today. Staff who remember you by name, and always want to know how your experience is, and what they can do to make your day better is invigorating. I know we will miss some of the many folks who touched our lives while there, although we will try to acknowledge as many as we can

George - greeted us when we arrived, took us to our room, and made sure we knew where everything was. The same fellow who checked on us everyday when he would see us

Collin - our master of ceremonies. From his warm welcome at check in,the amazing spa package he worked to put together for us, and his attention to service if there was anything we asked for.

Bret-Lee - We would have loved it if you could have come home with us! Again a young man who worked hard all day every day to ensure everyone was looked after and having a good time.

Arreol - Another exceptional experience both as our concierge and also as our white glove waiter when we had the exceptional candle lit dinner for two in a gazebo looking over the ocean.

The ladies in the spa, I am so sorry we don't remember your names, you guys did an awesome job on our massage and put me to sleep.....

The rooms are ultra clean, very well finished and kept. First time I have EVER had staff checking on us to see if we need extra towels as part of their rounds. A++++++

Meals were also great! Portions aren't huge, so you might need seconds, that said the staff work to ensure you are happy and full. The experience at the Jade was awesome, all the food even the simple stuff is top notch. The special dinner for 2 amazing the kitchen nailed it as we are both kind of fussy when it comes to what we eat and they exceeded our expectations.

The resort layout also allows you to hang out at the main pool and partake in the many activities OR go to another pool / swim up bar option which is more secluded and low key. The water slide is an exceptional experience as well.

The only thing I would suggest is that the management consider adding do not disturb signs for the doors. This would allow guests (like me) to grab a nap in the afternoon without accidentally waking up when someone comes to refill the mini bar etc. Minor deal I know, all the same I thought I would mention.

I know we ware are missing several of the many staff who helped ensure our trip was amazing. This really is a Jewel of an experience.

9  Thank dgrotkowski
DaineG, Manager at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks for sharing with us your experience, and delighted that both Jewel Dunns River and Paradise Cove have set a standard in service, for your future travels. It was indeed our pleasure to have hosted you and a special thanks for mentioning the team members that ensured that you had a great vacation. Hope to host you again soon.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We were here 12/12 - 12/18/13 and had an incredible time. All the staff is GREAT! From the night manager Huntley getting us drinks since our room refrigerator was empty and great conversations every evening. Stephanie in the pizza place/coffee shop and general eating area always ready to serve and have a nice conversation. Bartenders NaShawn (all over) and Howard and Ryan at the main bar, keep the drinks flowing. Activities directors Barbie and Dimples always ready to Play and keep you busy. Collin is the man at the front desk and is ready to help with anything you need. There are so many staff to mention that EVERYONE we encountered was helpful, full of knowledge, friendly and FUN!! All the food was great and we have been to other all-inclusive resorts where this was not the case. Everyone at the water sports were great and always available. Rooms were clean, piano bar fun, dance club good and love the game area especially when it was raining. This resort does everything RIGHT!!! We have been to all-inclusive resorts in Cancun, Cozumel and Cabo. This one was the best!

Room Tip: We didn't spend much time in our room so it really didn't matter. But we were originally on...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Chrissy03412
DaineG, Manager at Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you and it was our pleasure, hope to host you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
1 mi away
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton

Address: Paradise Cove Drive, Runaway Bay, Jamaica (Formerly Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort and Spa)
Location: Caribbean > Jamaica > Saint Ann Parish > Runaway Bay
Bar / Lounge Beach Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Top resorts Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Green Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Spa Hotel in Runaway Bay
#2 Luxury Hotel in Runaway Bay
Price Range: $260 - $603 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection By Hilton Jamaica