“Don Pablo Collection”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Mississauga, Canada
“Don Pablo Collection”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I cannot recall when I have enjoyed my vacation more. Every one of the Staff were polite and very helpful. The food was terrific in all of the restaurants. I have started saving so I can return in the Fall of 2014 and see the friends I have met this October. Can't wait to get back !

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view on the 7th floor. Quiet and less noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jane H
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Jane,

Thank you for your generous review. We are thrilled to learn that we were able to surpass your expectations and you have enjoyed your last vacations in our property, which is our main goal. It is encouraging to learn that room, friendly and helpful staff, and food quality and overall the service was of your choice.

Thank you for choosing our Resort for your vacation this year and we look forward to host you again on your upcoming holiday in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Jamaica.

Warm regards,

Marvelis Symister
Luxury Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (834)
  • Polish first
Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Just spent 2 weeks here. All the staff were extremely helpful & friendly. The food in the Don Pablo, Picasso & Mikado restaurants were to die for. Definitely recommend do the show table in Mikado & the Chateaubriand in Don Pablo. The beach is lovely & the waiter service at the pool is great (especially Tina)!!! Any minor issues we encountered were fixed very quickly. Would recommended this hotel to any other couples looking for a completely chilled out luxury experience.

3 Thank Emma N
MarvelisS, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Emma,

Thank you for your warm review. We appreciate that you enjoyed your stay thanks to our helpful and amazing staff. We feel also very proud of receiving your positive comments regarding our beach and our variety and quality of food in the Don Pablo and Mikado Restaurants where we were able to fulfill your expectations.

Thanks again for mentioning the staff member who did possible a wonderful trip with us and for the recommendation to other possible guests.

It was an honor to be chosen to spend your vacations in our Hotel in Jamaica and we would love to see you again and provide you a more enjoyable stay.

Yours respectfully,

Marvelis Symister
Ontario, California
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Best vacation in a while. we had fun in such a short period which makes us want to return. The agents were very pleasant and helpful. Very fast check in and they did their best in accommodating requests. The lounge bar was excellent, we had all we wanted. Our butler decorated our room with petals and chilled champage. This tops it off to the maximum. The pool, very nice with cabanas for everyone and bartenders catering to you. The jerk chicken ohh very tasty and spicey its a must have. I would recommend this resort a million times.

Room Tip: Corner suites have larger balconies
Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Shelly s
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Shelly,

Thank you for your warm note. It was an honor being your hosts during your Jamaican vacation and we are thrilled to hear that all of your expectations were fulfilled. We appreciate your words about the check-in, food, pool, the butler services and overall the accommodating staff.

We deeply value your recommendation to other possible travelers and cannot wait to serve you again in our hotel on upcoming trips to Jamaica.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I returned from Gran Bahia/Jamaica last night and I am already planning my next visit.
Staff - The staff was friendly. I tipped few of the staff members but I only tipped them after I received my service. At not one point did I have to tip staff to receive quality service.
Rooms - The rooms were very clean. I did not have towels in my room upon check-in, but they delivered the towels within 30 minutes after I made the call.

My husband read about a special the resort was running to upgrade to the Don Pablo Collection for $25 per day per person. There weren’t any rooms available the first day, so we upgraded on the second day. The new room was an ocean view room (23-718) and the view was amazing. We paid $150 for the upgrade and it was truly worth it. In a regular room, you have to pay $50 deposit for the safe box and $6 per day for the box. The safe deposit box is included with the Don Pablo room, so we basically paid $100 for the upgrade.

Beach towels - I read few people complain about not having beach towels available at the towel hut. With the Don Pablo collection, they placed 2 new beach towels in the room every day. They also had beach towels available at the Don Pablo lounge. You could turn your towels in to receive fresh towels throughout the day. Beach towels were never an issue. I walked past the towel hut few times during my stay and always saw towels available.

Food – The food was pretty good. I never expect excellent food when staying at a resort, but the food here exceeded my expectations. The buffet was good and served a variety of foods. The first night, they served grilled lobster and there was no limit on the amount you could eat. Needless to say, folks were going crazy.  One night was Canadian night in observance of Canada’s Thanksgiving. Another night was Jamaican night so they had a variety of Jamaican dishes including beef patties, curry goat, ox tails…The jerk hut was a really good place for lunch. The jerk chicken and seafood paella were offered every day and delicious! The other nights we ate at the specialty restaurants (The Grill, Don Pablo, and Mikado).

Spa – I had the coconut scrub/massage special. The massage was one of the best I ever had and I am a person who gets a massage at least once per month.

With the Don Pablo upgrade, the staff’s job is to ensure your every desire is filled and dreams come true. One night I walked back in the room to find that the room was decorated with rose petals and balloons. There was a trail of candles lighting the walk path, bottle of champagne, and bubble bath with rose petals waiting for me. This was all made possible with Grant’s help (one of the butlers). My husband told him he wanted something special since I was there celebrating my birthday. And this did not cost anything extra.

The only issue I had was that my safety deposit box did not work in my first room. They had me try two keys and it still would not lock. They said I had to be in the room for them to fix the safe deposit box. I did not want to sit around waiting for the maintenance man so I reminded the front desk of the incident the next day. I upgraded to a Don Pablo room on the second day and I was refunded my safe deposit and not charged for the one day I spent in the first room.

Room Tip: I was in 16-413 which faced the side of the resort and you had minimal view of the ocean. However, I...
6 Thank MSTORY
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your warm comments. It was an honor for us being chosen to host you during your trip to Jamaica. We are grateful to know that you enjoyed the room, the Spa services and the food options were able even to surpass your expectations. We feel happy to see that you have felt pampered by our Don Pablo staff that made possible to fulfill all of your vacation dreams.

We thank you again for your feedback; we are eagerly looking forward to see you soon again in our property.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I'll start by mentioning that we are very well travelled. We have been on 40 beach vacays. The most recent three have been in the last 8 months and all in Jamaica. We vary between 3 star budget holidays and 5+ star luxury properties so we know how to set our expectations accordingly.

My husband and I stayed at GBP 2-9 Oct/13. We arranged the Don Pablo upgrade in advance of our arrival.

I will try to keep this brief since I already filled out a comprehensive comment card at the resort.

These were the issues:

Multiple requests for the following were ignored:
light bulb change over the makeup mirror, toilet tissue, facial tissue, facecloths, towels, ice, wine, orange juice at breakfast, etc.

On back-to-back days turn down service was not performed and the room was not made up.

On our third day, frustrations peaked and resulted in Lorraine (DP manager) along with the butler and front desk person meeting us in our room for a discussion.

From that day on, the rest of the holiday was 110%, but it was too late to make a 1st impression on us.

On the upside, the following was great:
-the food, we ate at the buffet and all the a la carte restaurants they were all excellent but the staff was obviously multi-tasking due to short staffing

-vegetarian options, I am a vegetarian and really appreciated that every restaurant, even the steak house, had an option for me

-the beach, in a word beautiful

-the people, all staff we encountered were very friendly and some were amazing (I named them on my comment card)

-the property, beautifully maintained with lots of shopping right on site

-the entertainment, as we retire early, we mostly just took in the lobby entertainment but we did enjoy it

-the room, large room with very comfortable king size bed, stocked mini bar, great balcony and amazing view

There was a lot of complaining by other guests on our shuttle ride back to the airport, I hope they also filled out their comment card and/or post a review.

Tips:
-save yourself the wait for the shuttle and contact zipp.jamtours@yahoo.com. For $80 he had us there in an hour

-if you are doing the DP upgrade, first buy the cheapest room available as the upgrade is $25 pp per night regardless of what you have already paid. To explain, we had already upgraded to the Diamond Club, so we ended up spending more than we need to.

We have not ruled out returning, but I would hesitate to do the upgrade and will be watching these reviews.

I don't know if this will make sense, but had we not paid for the upgrade, I would have been more accepting of the flaws in service that we encountered.

But in view of the upgrade and how it is promoted (over the top preferred treatment all round), we did get off to a disappointing start.

Any questions, please ask.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. 23611 had an amazing view of the sea and pool.
5 Thank Theresa P
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Theresa,

We sincerely regret that the first impression you had of our services was permeated with some hassles, for which we hope you could accept again our deepest apologies. We thank you so much for making our management aware of the situation while you were still on property and for providing us with the opportunity of offering you our best customer service, showing the real level of our standards.

Thank you for your positive comments about the room, beach, and the well kept property and accommodating staff.

Thank you for your review. It was an honor to host you; we are eagerly awaiting for your return and will try our best to provide you with a more enjoyable vacation.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Don Pablo Lounge and Check In:
Very well done. Fast, courteous check in. They did their best to accomodate special requests. Bar service in the Don Pablo lounge was excellent. Premium liquor selection was well stocked and they had anything we asked for. The Don Pablo wine list was better than the house wine. I found the Frontera Rose to be very nice.

Don Pablo Pool Section:
Roul was an excellent bartender and very personable. The poolside drink service was very well done. In future, I would recommend putting in a grill or allowing there to be lunch/snack service delivered poolside via the Butler service. The use of real glassware (plastic) was nice rather than cheap plastic disposable cups.

Room/Bathroom:
A/C worked fine. Room was always at a comfortable temperature. I would suggest a pillow menu. Room was very clean upon arrival, as was the bathroom.

Butler Service:
Other than our luggage being delivered to our room by a "butler" with white gloves and two bottles of rum delivered to our room, we never saw our butler. I would not term this butler service, as I do not want to be constantly "asking" my butler for things, but I would expect them to anticipate and ask me how they could help such as packing/unpacking, bringing wine to room or running a romantic bath. I would term the service more concierge service than butler service based on other resorts I have stayed at that had butler service. The Don Pablo Concierges did a fine job from the lounge when I asked them to take care of things.

Restuarants:
Garden Grill, Mikado and Don Pablo were all very good. Don Pablo: We ate here twice. The chateaubriand was served tableside and very tasty as was the Flambe. Garden Grill had very nice steak and the Mikado tempanyaki table was great. Italian restuarant La Dolce Vita was disappointing. My fiance's lasagna was cold in the middle when he got it. We did not eat at Picasso. Buffet was fine, the usual buffet choices. Be sure to sit in the Don Pablo section and order from the included Don Pablo wine list. Also for breakfast in the Don Pablo section request the fresh squeezed orange juice. At the ALa Carte Restuarants be sure to ask for the Don Pablo wine list.

THINGS TO IMPROVE UPON:
Correction of some inconsistencies could make this Resort go from very nice to Excellent.

When a Don Pablo guest is seated, the wine list should automatically be presented to them. I should not need to ask, and then have to wait as a waitstaff person goes to find one and then find the bottle of wine from the list. This could sometimes take 15-20 minutes before finally getting a glass of wine with dinner.

Turn down service should happen automatically every night. We did not recieve turn down service until we complained about not recieving it. Fresh bath towels should be left for the morning.

Face clothes and shower gels should be automatically restocked in the bathrooms. We went our whole stay without shower gels until I asked for them the 2nd to last night and only had face clothes for the first two nights, then the housekeeper said she did not have them. Our friends staying in building 23 had shower gels every day.

Room service menu could have more than a continental breakfast on it for breakfast.

Late check out should be the norm for Don Pablo Guests. It should be automatic. We had to really insist upon a late check out, we ended up with 2pm checkout when our bus left the resort at 3 pm. When we first called, we were told our late check out could be for 12:30 pm. Regualr checkout time is 12 pm. That's a joke. After confirming late checkout for 2pm, my room key still ceased to work after 12 pm and I had to go and have it reprogrammed.

Our room key opened the doors of 2 other rooms other than ours. Always use your safe, as I am sure this happens more often than not. The first night we went to the wrong floor but same number of our room and our key opened the room. I noticed the suitcase on the valet was not mine and we left hastily. The second time our key opened a room other than ours, we went by the room we were supposed to have had before our upgrade and the door opened that time as well, so just Beware!

I know this may sound like I am nitpicking, but I just feel that If you pay for a Luxury upgrade at a hotel, you should get the service and amenities you are paying for. These things did not ruin my vacation; I still had a wonderful time at a wonderful resort, but I expected more based upon my experience at other hotel chains. Would I upgrade to Don Pablo again? I believe I would, and look forward to trying the Sian Kiaan in Mexico in the future.

Room Tip: In the Don Pablo section the end rooms have bigger balcony, but not really any ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Shelley P
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear Shelley,

Thank you for your detailed review. We appreciate to know that you enjoyed overall your stay in our hotel. We appreciate to learn that the check-in, overall the food and the services were of your choice.

Please be assured that we will certainly be looking into your observations and suggestions; thank you for helping us to improve our services.

It was a pleasure to serve you and we are looking forward to serve you again on your upcoming trips to Jamaica.

Yours respectfully,

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Great hotel fantastic holiday and my sister's wedding was amazing all 13 off us had great time , big thank you to all the lovely people we met on holiday caff & mark had the best day ever & they will be back we all coming back . We hope to see Miguel working back there he's a great barman. Love you Miguel. Keep smiling. X

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank flossy2009
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our management and staff; we would like to thank you for your warm note. We take pride in offering to our valuable guests the more enjoyable and relaxing vacations and it is rewarding to see that we achieved this goal with you.

Thank you for choosing our hotel as a wedding destination. We cannot wait to host you again, soon.

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Royalton White Sands Resort
Royalton White Sands Resort
#16 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,108 reviews

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!