“The two resort experience”

Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Staten Island, New York, United States
“The two resort experience”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I am so glad I had the opportunity to compare two of the top resorts in Jamaica. The Gran Bahia Jamaica and the Grand Palladium. We started our 10 day vacation in Jamaica on July 6,2013 at the Gran Bahia Jamaica Resort for the first 4 days. The hotel was over booked so I had to share a king size bed with a friend which at first seemed to be a problem, but after going to the front desk to request a room with double beds and over hearing a few customers complain about having a room with no a/c we decided that sharing a bed was not a bad idea since a/c was not our issue. Both properties, the Gran Bahia and Grand Palladium were beautiful !!!!!!! At the Gran Bahia we did not have the Don Pablo upgrade, but the service, the bars, the pools and the food was amazing !! We ate at the steak house and the steak was flame broiled and cooked to perfection. And the Jerk chicken at snack shack was outstanding as well as the staff. We left the property for shopping and could not find Jerk chicken any better. Then we moved to the Grand Palladium where my biggest complaint was the food. The specialty restaurants were a big disappointment. The jerk hut had no jerk seasoning on the chicken what so ever!! Please call the Gran Bahia and get a Jerk chicken recipe. The Poseidon seafood's chef should be fired. The first day at the resort I had dinner there and wasn't happy and told my self I was not going to eat there the rest of my stay, but my group wanted to just grab a snack before dinner so I ordered a snack. I was served a piece of fried fish that I could not break with a fork or cut with a knife, I could not believe it. I got the waitress attention and placed my fork in her hand and asked her to cut the fish for me and it took all of her might. She apologized over and over again and ask her why do they serve customers garbage? My room mate went for a swim in pool and opened her eyes under water and was discussed, we beached it for the rest of our stay.
The entertainment and shows at both resorts were great!

H. Ravelo

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Harriet R
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Harriet,

Thank you for your comments. We deeply appreciate you have considered the beauty of the property, the friendliness of the staff, services, food, especially the Jerk chicken and a la cartes, bars and pool and entertainment, amazing.

We do apologize for not meeting your room requests; but we hope you kindly understand that its fulfillment is based on the availability; we hope you accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

It was a pleasure to serve you. and we sincerely hope to have the opportunity to host you back again in your upcoming vacation.

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (896)
  • Polish first
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My family (Wife, myself, children 4 and 8) just returned from our stay at the Gran Bahia Jamaica. We chose the Don Pablo upgrade, which I would highly recommend. With Don Pablo you get a separate area to check-in and out, a private lounge with bar and wi-fi access, a private pool area with private bar, a private beach area, beach towels in the room, unlimited a la carte dinners, free safe, 24hr room service, and premium drinks at the Don Pablo bars.

The service at the Bahia was excellent, everyone was friendly and accommodating, and the few room related issues we had (need for additional towels, burned out light bulb), were handled promptly. The service and people at the Don Pablo lounge, and Don Pablo pool bar were especially great. We were never once approached by a sale rep of any kind.

The resort is large, with multiple pool areas, two swim up bars, a rocky beach directly in front of the hotel which is great for snorkeling, and a sandy beach to the left of the hotel which is great for swimming, playing in the sand, etc. I loved the architecture of the hotel, there are gardens scattered amongst the hotel grounds, and everything was very clean and well maintained. The fit and finish of the hotel/rooms was not great but you must remember that this is Jamaica, not the US or Europe. The pool is huge and has a section for everyone, the pool area near the Don Pablo section is very quiet, but if you want more of a party atmosphere the area around the main swim up bar offers more of that.

Food at the Bahia was good, but not great with a few exceptions. We went to all 5 specialty restaurants. Three of the restaurants the Spanish (Picasso), the Grill, and the Italian (Dolce Vita) offer buffet style appetizers and deserts, with a la carte dinner service. The Gourmet (Don Pablo), and Japanese (Mikado) restaurants are true a la cartes and both excellent. There are two buffets, main buffet, and a smaller buffet (Palmyra). I recommend the smaller buffet. The Palmyra has 90% of the selection of the main buffet, but with 10% of the crowd. For lunch we mostly ate at the Beach restaurant/Jerk center. The jerk chicken was excellent.

As for entertainment, during the day there are games and activities at the main pool area, you can snorkel, or take out a kayak, or paddle boat. At night our kids enjoyed the Kids Show/Activity which runs from 8:30-9:00/9:15. Nothing fancy but the kids really enjoyed it, and were able to participate (talent show, fashion show, kids dance party, etc.). There is live music on the lobby terrace, and a nightly show which runs from 10-11:00. Our kids were only able to stay up for one show, the African dance show, but it was much better than expected. After the show they offer Karaoke, have a Disco, and have sports bar.

Overall, we had a great stay at the Bahia. The Bahia is a pretty resort, with a great staff, and we especially enjoyed the multiple types of beach areas (rocky/snorkeling, traditional sandy). The Bahia is a great place, especially when you factor in the value. I give the resort 4 stars, it is not the Ritz, but when you factor in the value the Bahia gets 5 stars for bang for your buck.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank utbaylor
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments with us. We appreciate to learn that you have enjoyed your family vacations with us, especially Don Pablo Collection amenities, service, staff, the hotel design and cleanliness, pool, beaches, overall the food and you found a great value for money.

We thank you for choosing our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best all-inclusive hotel for your summer holidays in Jamaica. We hope to see you back soon.

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I went to this hotel on June 26 until July 4, we chose this hotel for luxury services especially for the day my daughter, it started badly since the airport, where we were greeted by a travel agent, we chose to have private transport with Hotelbeds company, this guide (Michael Hiskins) told us we do not have reservation, after waiting nearly an hour found our reservation. At the hotel when we arrived at the reception treated us as if we had no reservation. The attitude of staff is a major problem, it treated us as if we gave all for free. The first night we stayed at the Grand Bahia, not Don Pablo. The room smelled very bad, there were no slippers and the bathroom was dirty, the TV was old and small one. At the reception we talked with Smiley Sanita who tried to convince us to accept to stay in the rooms at the Grand Bahia, even though we paid for Don Pablo
Next day I lost 6:00 waiting to get the room at the Don Pablo, this day is the anniversary of my daughter.
My daughter's birthday we had reservations for Don Pablo restaurant where I asked to have a birthday cake, I got nothing, not even an answer, not even told her happy birthday.
Last 3 days I quit going to restaurants because of ala carte services, staff is not friendly.
Cold water tasted of chlorine
At Dolce Vita restaurant salmon was broken.
At Grill restaurant waiter was very nervous, always slamming dishes, I was scolded him as I went to the buffet without waiting to take my order.
Judy maid did not put three days coffee. On the balcony did not ever clean for 6 days
The day before leaving I went to reception to ask for a transfer to the airport, Sanita has confirmed that a car will take us from the hotel the next day at 16.
She treated us like he was chief hotel.
Big surprise departure day, no car came after us, even though we had reservations Hotelbeds.
The only person who treated us great, was Loraine Broderick, who took a stand, and even offered to pay us a taxi to the airport, to defend the honor of the hotel.
Another very nice person is Peta Gay Solomon, she is very friendly and always helped us.

Room Tip: Building 24 new area
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Catalina V
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

Firstly, we would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations as it regards our staff. Our main goal is to provide amazing vacations to all of our guests; we accomplish this most of the times. Any time we find an unhappy guest, we turn the challenge into an opportunity.

We thank you for mentioning Ms. Broderick and Ms. Solomon, we are proud to count on professionals of their level in our organization.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to host you back and provide a more enjoyable stay.

Polk City, Iowa, United States
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Third trip to Jamaica, along with several trips to other Caribbean Islands over the years. The last trip to Jamaica was to the Grand Palladium. Both resorts are all inclusive. I liked each of them, for different reasons. The Grand Bahia stay was in the Don Pablo wing, which I would recommend. It's newer, the alcohol upgrades and private pool area and bar, while not totally separate, were worth the daily fee. Jamaica is hot in the summer, I would recommend bringing a small oscillating fan. You are going to be sunburned and warm, especially if you are around the pool, so the fan in the room helps cool you off, even with the a/c going. The restaurant reservations are sometimes too late, and the service is very relaxed, so prepare to be there awhile. The Don Pablo restaurant, the Garden Grill, and the Teppenyaki restaurants were the most enjoyable. Lunch on the beach with the jerk chicken or hamburger bar is the best option. I founf the buffets had lots of choices, and the food in naturally underseasoned to appeal to everyone. Breakfast with fresh omelettes, fruit and toast were always enjoyable. The pool was nice, although too warm to be very refreshing. I would recommend the beach as the water is cooler and the breeze is stronger. If you want to go off the property, go to the taxi stand and ask for Spencer, he is the man, and will work with you to take you anywhere you want to go. Alternatively, you can sign up for tours through the hotel.
For beverages, you should have an insulated mug of some sort, or buy one for $9 at the shops. It will keeep your drink cold. The wine in Jamaica is typically either Chilean, or French, and is passable. The beer is Red Stripe, which is a bit sweet for my taste. the distilled spirits are pretty much bottom shelf, except the rum, which is why I like the Don Pablo upgrade. The upgrade gives you Absolut, Tanqueray, Cuervo, Jack Daniels, and good Scotch, especially in the Don Pablo collection guest area.
Jamaica has a population of very friendly people, who work very hard for very little pay. If you tip them, you are giving them respect, for which you will get a smile and a friend. If you go with a good attitude, and understand that not everthing is going to be perfect, you will have a wonderful time at this resort.
One more thing, the snorkeling is best at the very end of the beach, where the river enters the sea,by the nude beach.There is also a small cove that you can get to by walking on the seawall to the east, go under the fence and about 30 yards later, you get in the water. There is a bit of rebar in the water, but it is easy to spot and harbors a fair amount of interesting fish. It's a very small area, and can get wavy near the opening of the cove. We spotted lobster, eel and a sea snake, and schools of fish.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Brianjohhny
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your positive review and your time to post it on TripAdvisor. We are grateful to know we were able to meet your expectations with the food, premium drinks, the Don Pablo Collection inclusions, beach, snorkeling and the friendly staff.

We hope to see you soon, back in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for your dream summer holidays in Jamaica.

Our warmest regards,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 3, 2013

GREAT VACATION!!! Just to mention few names:
Lorreine Broderick, Sanita Smiley, Nicol Smith, Cordel Milles, Shaneca Crosbourne, Rouel at the pool bar and the girls with him. It is great for snorkling.
Seventh floor is unbelievably quietly. Love it. Gardens are beatifull and the views are great.

Room Tip: Seventh floor! Newer building. Amazing.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear George,

Thank you for your kind note.

It is rewarding to see that you enjoyed your holiday with us, especially the staff, the view, pool bar and the grounds.

Thank you, for your effort to remember some of the staff that helped to make your vacation remarkable. We are very pleased to count on professional collaborators like them in our hotel.

We are already looking forward to host you again in our Luxury Grand Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection, your best hotel for your summer vacations in Jamaica.

Isel salgado
Luxury Grand Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013

OVERVIEW: We really enjoyed our 2 week stay here in the Don Pablo (DP) Collection. Would we return again? To Jamaica definitely, to this hotel probably not unless they address the dining issues. It's a good hotel trying to be great. Lorraine the Don Pablo manager tried so hard to make a difference and is clearly passionate about getting things right. She did make that difference but at times the rest of the hotel let her down, particularly the restaurants.
PROS: Room, welcome & check-in, DP lounge, DP pool area, friendly and service oriented staff, Donette (housekeeping) & Lorraine (DP manager) - always went the extra mile.
CONS: restaurants, particularly food quality at times; premium DP wines not good enough; and room service
-------------------------
MORE DETAIL: Stayed here for 2 weeks with Thomas Cook. Due to the poor reviews we did try to change before we came but as it was a late booking they would not allow it. We therefore decided to upgrade to Don Pablo directly with the hotel at an additional cost ( US$25pppn).
We also upgraded our seats (2H & 2J) both ways. For us this was worth the extra - seats were wider and more leg room, and these were 2 abreast rather than 3 in economy. Plane had downstairs toilets in centre of plane (toilets at front were broken!). The toilet trips proved good for the legs.

WELCOME & CHECK IN: On arrival, we informed them we were in DP and were quickly met by 2 staff and swept away to the DP lounge for check in. The rest of our Thomas Cook bus were ushered as a group into the bar area to be checked in together!
We arrived in the DP lounge where we were given a welcome drink and they spent time telling us all that DP had to offer and checking us in. They also gave us some pre-booked dinner reservations for the first few days (you could change them if needed). They then escorted us to our room - 24610 (24 is the new DP block that faces east towards Ocho Rios).
ROOM: We had requested a quiet room, sea view, king bed & high floor. We were very happy with our room and felt all our needs were met. There was some noise from the road but we preferred that to noise from the entertainment. Sea view was more distant but we were very happy. One comment is that, due to the winds you get in Jamaica these east facing balconies get the full force of the wind (making my wife's cross-stitch difficult at times!), and you only get the sun in the early morning, then you're in shade. This was fine for us.
Our room on the 6th floor was large with a 4 poster King Bed, large L shaped balcony, large patio doors, flat screen TV ( for the Brits only BBC World which is quite boring), minibar restocked daily, coffee machine, just 3 US sockets, sofa, table and chairs, 2 bedside tables, chest of drawers, wardrobe (with 12 hangers but NOT full length which was no good for the long dresses!!) and a large bathroom with hydro bath (not that powerful but I'm use to a hot tub), separate shower, toilet and twin hand basins.
Donette was our housekeeper and kept our room very clean. She was a lovely, friendly lady, always eager to please. She made some lovely towel decorations on our bed.
One improvement would be to swap the table and 2 chairs on the balcony to a lower table and 2 loungers.
DP Butler: we rarely used or saw. This entailed packing and unpacking (we did not use this), ironing on arrival if requested (again not used), room service (they claim, but our experience was that mostly the usual room service personnel brought the food), and additional ironing at a cost. All done in white gloves. I'd personally prefer to pay less and not have this.
Room Service: quite limited range and not EXPRESS as they claim. We waited 1h40m and got nothing so gave up! Other times it was within the expected 45 mins they term as express. Unfortunately the food was at best warm, probably due to the distance from the restaurant.
WEDDING ANNIVERSARY: Lorraine helped organise a surprise restaurant booking for my wife for us to celebrate. She had booked a great table and organised a taxi for us. Whilst out they decorated our room beautifully. During the day we were sent champagne, fruit and gifts - a lovely gesture. It made our day very special.
HOTEL: very large and quite isolated. Wonderful pool and particularly liked the exclusive DP pool area (exclusive in that it is also shared with those wearing black (timeshare) and white (wedding) wrist bands). It can get busy, but if you're at the pool by 8am we always got a canopied sunbed (2 beds under a gazebo or cabana). For us shelter was important as we burn easily. There always seemed plenty of loungers in direct sun. They have now moved the DP beach area closer than before. We did not mind the walk but some might. The beach is man made and appears to be rock/ concrete covered by shingle and/or sand. Could do with some more sand but its pleasant enough and the sea is beautiful and warm. Aqua shoes are a must.
The DP Lounge was a nice place to check emails and get a break from the sun with a drink.
Hotel cleanliness is excellent and there is always someone cleaning somewhere. The gardens are immaculate and there is a large team tending them. We did however get a lot of mosquito bites despite using sprays.

RESTAURANTS: being a DP guest allowed us unlimited use of a la carte restaurants. Having used them every night except two we feel quite qualified to comment. As a DP guest there is a 'premium' wine choice. Frankly they are stretching the 'premium' label somewhat. They need to offer better options.
Overall the food is adequate at best and be warned that your meal will rarely resemble what's on the menu! We had dinner out in Ocho Rios near the end of our holiday and it made us realise how far their a la carte restaurants have to go to be the 'luxury' they aspire to. Restaurant staff are always willing and able, but are clearly not well trained with a lack of attention to detail (most can't seem to cope with bringing tea with cold milk).
PALMYRA (breakfast and lunch): the best time to go was when it first opens. Generally we found it was good with lunch often being our favourite meal. This is buffet style. At breakfast DP guests have a separate section where you have fresh juices brought to you as we'll as hot drinks ( however tea with milk often consisted of a tea bag in hot milk despite us asking differently!). At busy times only 2 staff can be overwhelmed and service slows dramatically. Lunch seemed quieter and more relaxing.
It would be good to have this option at night as well.
ORCHID (general buffet restaurant) - hot food, some only warm, good salads, but a bit of a fight and, when busy, chaotic. Here you keep the same knife and fork for starter and main course - is this 5*?
DOLCE VITA (Italian a la carte dinner): only main course is a la carte, but only a nod to Italian cuisine. The rest is buffet again! We had to fight for the DP wine choice (believe me the house wine is awful) - the waiters seem unaware. There was little Italian about the food and the quality was poor. Only went once and refused to go again.
THE GRILL (a la carte dinner): had steak and it was beautiful. Again only the main course is a la carte with the rest buffet. My wife, however had the chicken with rice. It was like a microwave meal that had been overcooked. It was dry and tasteless and we sent it back. Our advice is to stick to the steak. Again no wine choice except house wine and it was dreadful. 2nd visit faired no better as we sent the steak back as it was swimming in a salty sauce. Disappointing.
DON PABLO (French a la carte dinner): the best of the bunch, but not really French cuisine. Truly a la carte. You have to ask for the DP wine though. Be aware that, as with some other restaurants, what is on the menu is not what you necessarily get. Despite mentioning various potato and vegetable options you usually got mashed potato and asparagus. My wife once ordered Salmon and shrimp and got no accompaniments!
PICASSO (Spanish a la carte): starters are buffet again, and not really Spanish cuisine - strange for a Spanish hotel chain. First visit was poor, second was better.
MIKADO ( Japanese a la carte): truly a la carte. I had the Mahi-Mahi with stir fry: it was overcooked and tasteless fish with ratatouille! When asked about the stir fry the waiter initially tried to convince me the ratatouille was stir fried!! I could have had the special, that well known Japanese dish of stir fried beef with mashed potato. I sense a mashed potato theme around all the restaurants!!
MIKADO TEPPANYAKI ( Japanese a la carte): show cooking for groups of about 12. The show part is ok but these chefs are clearly not trained for this and it shows. Food was ok but the main course tasted mainly of soy.
PISCIS (beach bar): only used once but found it too busy for us.

We did one trip from the hotel's water sports area on a catamaran to Dunns River Falls. At $80 each it was good value. Sailing from the hotel to the falls and included a guided walk up the falls (prepare to get cold and wet - great fun), snorkelling on a reef and a visit to Columbus Bay beach. Great music and drinks accompanied us from 9am to 2pm. Highly recommended.
It avoided the use of buses offered by Thomas Cook.

We came for a completely restful and peaceful holiday in the sun. This we achieved. If you've already booked I would suggest upgrading to DP if you can although its not cheap. However I would urge the hotel, to be worthy of their '5 star' rating, to address the restaurant issues which, in my mind, let it down severely. If they did this I would consider returning.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Adarkin
Dear Adarkin,

Thank your for share your opinion with us. We appreciate to learn that you have enjoyed overall your stay, highlighting on the Don Pablo lounge staff, specially the Manager Ms. Broderick and the housekeeper Ms. Brown; we are grateful to see that our efforts in the sense to pamper you have been well appreciated.

On the other hand, it is with deep regret that we have learnt we have not been able to meet your discerning taste in regards with the food and we do apologize for all the aspects you felt were not up to par.

Certainly, we are taking note of all of your observations and will forward them to the management so that they can take the strongest corrective measures to avoid these situations and recover the high level of our standards.

It has been our pleasure to serve you; we are always engaged on a constant improvement, so that we hope we can count on the honor to host you again in our hotel on the nearest future.

Isel Salgado
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection.
El Segundo, California
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This trip was amazing from beginning to end. We were greeted like royalty and the Don Pablo Collection is truly worth the extra buck. The staff is so friendly; I have never made this many friends from one vacation . The beach is awesome, the pools are fun, the buffet is yummy ( every night is different). It's such a romantic spot to get married, there was weddings each day of the week. I would definitely return and would recommend it to a family, a couple, and just a group of friends.

Room Tip: Don Pablo collection!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Claudel D
Dear Claudel,

There are no more rewarding words for us, than those you wrote: have been treated like royalty; as this is exactly the feeling we would like to provoke in all of our guests alike. Thank you for making us happy with your kind note, as well as by your compliments to the Don Pablo Collection staff, pool, beach, food at the buffet and the beautiful wedding's spot.

We are already awaiting to see you in our hotel on your upcoming family vacation.

Isel Salgado
Luxury Grand Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!