“Awesome vacation!!!”

Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This trip was amazing from beginning to end. We were greeted like royalty and the Don Pablo Collection is truly worth the extra buck. The staff is so friendly; I have never made this many friends from one vacation . The beach is awesome, the pools are fun, the buffet is yummy ( every night is different). It's such a romantic spot to get married, there was weddings each day of the week. I would definitely return and would recommend it to a family, a couple, and just a group of friends.

Room Tip: Don Pablo collection!!!
2  Thank Claudel D
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear Claudel,

There are no more rewarding words for us, than those you wrote: have been treated like royalty; as this is exactly the feeling we would like to provoke in all of our guests alike. Thank you for making us happy with your kind note, as well as by your compliments to the Don Pablo Collection staff, pool, beach, food at the buffet and the beautiful wedding's spot.

We are already awaiting to see you in our hotel on your upcoming family vacation.

Isel Salgado
Luxury Grand Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,123)

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed June 8th - 16th and had a very good time. A little disappointed requested a king size bed , got the doubles . ( It wasn't a deal breaker) . Yes, the window in the bathroom is a bit weird at first. You just keep the blind closed. The Don Palbo section is farthest from the sandy beach. We used the pebble beach , which was NOT crowded and no little kids running around. The pebble beach is great for snorkling ,also is a bit deeper for swimming. ( Only complaint is you need a beach bar on the pebble beach! ) I would walk to the Don Palbo pool area for drinks. So glad that we paid extra for the Don Palbo section, I never had to wait long for a drink. Thanks to Rouel,Diandra and Anika ( all ways a smile and good humored). We went to the main buffet and thank god we only did it twice for dinner! (We called it the Crazy buffet) ! They should keep Palymra open for dinner for the people in the Don Palbo section. Breakfast was good ,made to order omletts, fresh fruits, and juices. Scotisha , was our breakfast server ( all ways a smile, nevered had to wait for coffee, very friendly) . Lunch was different choices everyday ( be careful with the jerk pork! very spicy! ) Kaitlyn and Carmen took good care of us. ( water glass was never empty) . We didn't care for Dolce Vita ( it was just not good Italian food ). Mikado was nice and please see the dinner show. Don Palbo was good, order the Prince and the Princess, banana's foster. I loved Picaso! To me it was the best resturant. The Grill was closed ( I was disapointed ) . The ladies at the Don Palbo lounge have your dinners reserved for you, no waiting in a line at 800am. The maid Donnette was awesome ! Clean towels , plenty of them, cool towel animals, mini bar restocked every day. Grant the butler was very helpful and polite . He would all ways stop to say hello, ask if we needed something, everything good? Room service was the best, burger ,fries, sandwiches,nacho's all delivered in a decent time by Grant. They really need a JAMAICA resturant , one night at the buffet is just not enough. They give you a paper to fill out at the end of your stay, so I hope they read mine! If you have any complaints about this resort ( I don't think you will be happy any where) . You should all ways go with an open mind, be polite to the empolyees and you will enjoy yourself. This is a very good resort. We have stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe and Bavaro in Punta Cana . I think the service in Jamaica is much better !!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank argheath
IselS, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous review. We appreciate to know that you have enjoyed the food a la carte restaurants and buffet, beach, especially the friendly staff and butler services and you had overall a very good time with our hotel.

We have noted your observations and suggestions; we will make sure to forward your comments to the related managers to take them into consideration.

We thank you for choosing our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, for your dream vacation in Jamaica.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We went from June 7th to the 14th and had a blast. First of all the rooms were average and it was odd that there was a window in the bathroom overlooking the beds, but who spends much time in the rooms? The Don Pablo section is the farthest from the good beach and the view isn't the best in the resort as you will be either looking partially at the ocean, and the hills, or you will be overlooking the highway. This was my only negative point that you pay more to have a lesser view and are farther away from everything. If you don't like walking then don't do this upgrade. The service was very good, the poolside/beach service alone was worth the upgrade. The maid (Donnette) was very friendly and did a superior job and she met any requests we had for her with no problem. The wine list at the restaurants was nice also as the house wine is like warm vinegar, but you have to request it from the servers because they don't offer it up. The beachbar servers Marvalyn and Shenika offer excellent service. As soon as my drink was empty they would be there with another one. The butler service seemed to be non existent as they helped us with 1 bag to our room and I didn't see them after that. The free room service was good as it was good to have a snack when you get back to the room at night. They were very friendly and made our trip even more enjoyable. The entertainment was good if you like dancing, but I don't care for it much, it was just too much night after night, the preshow was best where they got the audience involved. The people here work hard long hours for their money and seem to always have a smile for you. There are negative people everywhere you go but I didn't witness this the whole time we were there. The food was good in the restaurants and having a seperate buffet from the main one was great too. I don't remember the guy's name who made omelettes but he was great as well. Try a cappuccino in the Lobby bar in the mornings they are delicious. You don't need to tip to get service, but they really appreciate all they get as they don't get alot of pay for the work they do. The snorkelling was good out behind the gazebo, there are alot of different corals and fish, and the water is clearer outside the rope than inside where everyone stirs up the sand. This was my 3rd time to this resort and I would go back again tomorrow. Don't listen to the petty complaints, you are going to relax not critique the hotel.

Room Tip: Buildings 15,16,17,18 have the best view but are loud at night because of the disco. Buildings 11...
1  Thank Samhouse

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your warm review. It is thrilling to learn that you have had a good vacation with our hotel and you have enjoyed the amenities, the food and the services provided by our staff reached your satisfaction. We thank you for mentioning the names of those who made your vacation special.

Your observations are invaluable to us, as it will help to improve our performance; we will make sure to forward them to the related managers with the purpose to take them into account.

We thank you for choosing our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Jamaica.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We travelled with three couples, Feb.23rd, for a weeks stay. Good flight with Transat/Canjet. Bus transfer to the resort was about an hour. Cold beer on the bus for a few dollars each. Most were given an envelope with room number, etc. while on the bus. Very convenient to be pre-checked in.

Check in for us was quick and efficient. Desk staff very pleasant. All dinner reservations pre arranged! Wow!

Room in building 24, on the 5th floor. Large, clean, and a wonderful view of the water. Fridge was re-stocked daily, as was mini- bar. Large bathroom, jetted tub, large balcony.

Restaurants were all good, even if service was slow! At times, not enough staff to properly attend to seated guests. Buffet was OK, and food was good.

Wonderful , friendly staff. Very helpful. My only concern about this hotel, and Don Pablo, is the distance to the "Don Pablo" beach area. But I've been told that the area has since been moved closer to the hotel.

Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nancy_Robin

Dear Nancy,

We appreciate your gratifying review.

Our team takes pride in offer to our guests a great vacation with our hotel. It is rewarding to know we have achieved our goal with you and you have liked the room cleanliness, size, view; the food at a la cartes and buffet, amenities, and you have had overall a great stay.

We thank you for your observations and will make sure to transmit them to our management to make of each one of the mentioned areas, our target for improvement.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I am posting this for both resorts on both resorts because although they are listed separately, they are one and the same. The Luxury Bahia is the same property but it is a different class of service.

Where to Book?

We reserved 4 rooms using the Bahia Reservation toll free number and I got a better deal than I could find anywhere. We looked on several websites, to include their own, and even with the SUMMER2013 discount code (15%off) we still got a better deal over the phone through their main reservation number. The agent gave  us the “free kids” deal with the $8 transfers and then she took another 20% off. All of our rooms were booked together in the Don Pablo Section. If you do a little work, you can get a room and airfare separate and easily beat the “other guys” packages by hundreds of dollars. If you need assistance, let me know. It was convenient that we could book our  4 rooms on the call but they gave logins for each room so each of the occupants for the other rooms could use their own credit cards to pay their dues. If you are traveling with friends and family, it is always nice to not have to use a single card on a single booking.  One reservation, 4 credit cards and 4 bills. Telephonic Booking 10/10, Main website 9/10

Transfer or Cab?

The best deal going right now is the $8 round trip transfer offered by Bahia. Following a long night of flying, it was a relief to walk out of customs and see a person waiting with a sign that had my name on it. It took a few minutes to get the transport ready but that was just enough time to buy a “road” cocktail at the outdoor bar by the bus pickups. Our drivers for both directions were very nice and both gave us small tours during the ride. It is a one hour ride, so I suggest before you get on the bus, buy a drink, use the restroom, and be prepared for a long but scenery filled ride. Transfers:  10/10

Arrival at the property:

When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by the bell hops and when we told them we were in the Don Pablo section they immediately packed our bags on to carts and whisked us away to the Don Pablo lounge. Once in the lounge we all took a seat and the ladies in the lounge brought us some cool wet towels to clean up with and a round of champagne. We all filled out some quick forms while sipping champagne and the manager took some time to explain the layout of the hotel to us. Following a warm and pleasant reception, they escorted us to our rooms.  This was the easiest and most relaxing check-in I have ever experienced. Reception: 10/10

The rooms:

I found the rooms to be quite perplexing. While we were in the Don Pablo section, this does not really mean anything as far as the rooms go. They all appear to be Junior Suite Deluxes. We had friends with Gold level reserved and their room was next door to ours. The only difference from our Gold level neighbors were the small bottles of booze and the 24/7 room service we had. I would also point out that 3 of our other friends had notes from the maids and flowers on their beds each day but we didn’t have that happen in our room. I think someone missed the memo that we were Don Pablo. I would only imagine that it would be confusing for them to decipher who was who. The room has a spacious Jacuzzi tub and a shower. Overall, I would rate the room as, “Good” or 7/10.

The Beach(s):

I have read many confusing reviews about the beach so this is going to be one of the main focus points of my review. There are 3 beaches in total and they are all extremely different from each other. I will start with the beach farthest to the East and move West. Use Google Maps if you wish to follow along. When you arrive to the beach in the front of the resort, there are some loungers in a dirt and rocky area in the buffer from the pool area to the beach, it is pretty dumpy and sad and not worth stopping. I think they are planning to build something in there. Once past the buffer, the farthest beach to the East was unusable due to the winds and probably not a very good one in general anyway. It is rocky, extremely wind blown, and it appeared to mostly have grass and rocks in the water. The second beach (center)is a  snorkeling beach right in front of the resort. This is a man-made beach and it has pebbles in lieu of sand. The snorkeling was good-excellent in spots and it is sheltered from the prevailing winds so it is smooth and calm. We saw plenty of fish, coral, and other critters in the ocean. There are also plenty of loungers in this area and it is a good little stop if you like to snorkel. (If you are not snorkeling, don’t waste your time at this beach at all.)  The beach to the far West is what it’s all about. I think anyone writing poor reviews about the beach simply didn’t bother to take a few minutes and explore the various beaches. The long beach on the West has smooth white sand from end to end and the water conditions get better as you move farther to the West. On the East side there is a privileged club area above the beach and this area is on a bad section of the water anyway. They have loungers on a lifted section of beach and it is elevated from the actual beach. As you pass that area and approach the main section of beach, the first sections in the water has rocks and grass right up to the shoreline. Keep walking. Unfortunately, this area of water is where they located the Don Pablo section so we never used it. We spent our first couple days about half way down the beach. This area was nice and it is located dead center of two bars. (Don Pablo bar and another beach bar) The sand was super smooth and the water clear with no surf. After spending our first days there, we finally ventured to the farthest end of the beach and boy, do I wish we had gone there earlier! The water on the far end of the beach is crystal clear, there are ZERO rocks, and the white soft sand is perfect. This area is the closer to the nude beach if you are trying to find it. For those of you with kids, like me, no worries, the nude beach is well hidden and there is no way to get an accidental peek.  There is excellent snorkeling, a bar, and it also happens to have the only bathroom on the entire beach on this end. In this area of the water, we saw tons of fish, a couple stingrays, and I even got permission from the lifeguards to swim far beyond the barriers. (I scuba dive) If you happen to dive or are an adventurous swimmer, swim past the breakers down the middle and see the real ocean. Past the breakers, the water visibility was ridiculous and seeing the untouched and live reefs was well worth the swim.

In summary, the farther down the beach you go, the nicer the water is. There are 3 bars in total and they all offer the same drinks. (No premiums at any of them!) There is only one restroom at it is at the far West end. Beach: 8/10 (As a comparison of taste, Bavaro Beach in Punta Cana is 8.5/10, Trunk Bay in the USVI is 9/10, and The bathes in Virgin Gorda is my only 10/10 in the entire Caribbean.)

The pool:

The main pools are full, busy, and have a wide array of people from kids to teens to college age drinkers. It was a little loud and busy for my taste but not necessarily at spring break levels either. The Don Pablo Section however,  was perfect. This section is fairly quiet, relaxing, not crowded,  and we really enjoyed it. There is also a Don Pablo Premium bar right there as well. The bar has all the premium spirits you might be looking for and there was never a line. (all of the other bars by the pool required standing and waiting in line) The relaxing loungers and the cabanas were a nice touch and this happens to be one of the spots in the resort that looks and feels just like the brochure.  Pool: 7/10 for the main area with a  10/10 Don Pablo section.

The Food:

I found the food to range from fair to excellent but it is very hit and miss from place to place. We hit most of the restaurants and the service and the food quality was as varied as the venues.  I will say, hands down, the Jerk chicken at the Jerk shack by the beach was one of the best places to eat throughout our stay. Ironic that out of all the fancy places to go, sitting outdoors by the ocean on a plastic chair eating grilled chicken was by far my best meal experience in the entire resort.  I ate lunch there as often almost daily. Food: 6/10

Drinks:

The lounge and the Don Pablo poolside bar are the only places that have premium liquor included. I found it odd that the bar by the lobby and the bar at the show area both offer premium liquors but they charge you for it. If you choose to buy a drink at one of the other bars, they do not take cash, they only allow you to charge them to your room. I absolutely hate doing that and refused to do so. In my opinion, charging drinks at a busy bar in an all-inclusive resort is an excellent way to wind up in a billing dispute. The fact that the Don Pablo upgrade does not authorize premium drinks at all the bars is a petty and irritating factor.  Drinks: 10/10 Don Pablo sections, 6/10 rest of resort.

Service:

So, should I book at the GBP Gold level or should I pay the money and book the LBP Don Pablo?  I was in the same boat and the following thought process is what led me to choose the Don Pablo section. First off, with the summer specials, it was roughly 300USD more for a family of 3 for 8 days. In my opinion, that was easily a good deal and a little splurge for such a significant upgrade was worth it. Over the course of the week, we used the room service 5 or 6 times, we drank quite a bit of Johnnie Walker, Absolut, Jack Daniels, Drambuie, we used the Don Pablo section of the pool and bar daily, we visited the lounge several times a day, and we enjoyed the unlimited use of the ala Carte restaurants. This is also the only level of service that offers a room safe for free and that is another bonus. In general, those diamond colored bands they gave us made everything just a little bit better. Service: Don Pablo is a 9.5/10 (would be a 10 if premium drinks were included at all bars that carried them.)

Hints and Tips!

When you check-in, there is free wifi in the lounge. If you have a smartphone or device, this is a good time to connect to the net and check-in with your loved ones to let them know you made it.

Get one more key than you need. Each room is equipped with a power saver. You have to have a room key plugged in the wall to keep the electricity running. Get an extra key so your room can stay cool, your devices can charge while away, and also to keep your fridge running.

An open patio door means no AC. There is a power saving feature that turns the AC off if the door is open. Ours was slightly cracked and it took me an hour to figure out that our AC was not broken.

For smokers and drinkers, take advantage of the duty free on the way out of the US. Cigarettes cost 11USD and should you want a small bottle of booze for a day trip or excursion, bottled booze is expensive as well.

Tip or no Tip? A tip here and there will land you some friends and warmer smiles. I always bring lots of singles with me.

Politeness will land you more smiles than your money can. The Jamaican people are a polite and friendly people. By extending some simple courtesy and saying thank you, you will find yourself being treated better and your experience will be better.

Sunscreen costs 15-30USD at the resort, pack as much as you need and then double it. Getting a mosquito band is not a bad idea either.

Every room has a jumbo umbrella in it. If you are worried about rain, skip packing yours.

Bring a Bubba Mug or other large cool cup. All drinks come in small plastic cups. They will happily fill you up and you can skip dozens of trips to the bar.

The dress code varies by restaurant. Unlike other all-inclusive resorts, some of the ala cart restaurants allow casual dress. This includes polo shirts, dress shorts, and even sandals. (No jean shorts, flip flops for men, or tank tops.)

If you are in section 23 or 24, the Don Pablo poolside bar is closer to grab a drink than the lounge. On our way in and out of the room, we would top off our mugs. This bar is open until 11pm and is always empty at night.

The lady in the convenience store lounge by the lobby will short change you if you let her. Every day, I purchased the same item from her store and the price of the item I purchased was the same every day. Although the price was constant and I gave her the same amount of USD each time,  the change she gave back in Jamaican Dollars was different every day. As the week went on, she gave me less and less but always used the same amount of coins. She assumed that I didn’t know or couldn’t count so she basically just ripped me off everyday. Due to the fact that we are talking about less than a dollar, I did not report her but if you happen to make a large purchase, I would keep an eye on my change.

If you wish to know more information or see more photos, feel free to email me. Pakmann2k@hotmail.com

Room Tip: Section 23 or 24.
Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
19  Thank Pakmann2k

Dear Nancy,

Thank you for your comprehensive review.

We appreciate that you have decided to share with us and other potential guests a detailed review of your stay with us. Thank you for your description of the facilities and amenities and for the evaluation of our performance.

All of your observations and suggestions have been forwarded to our management, to take them into consideration.

We thank you for choosing Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Jamaica.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I usually never go on to Trip Advisor to write a review, but I certainly depend on everyone to tell me what to beware of before I travel, so, it's my turn.

First, the Don Pablo section of the resort. I kept hearing everyone say "It's the BEST way to go". Well, it's the best way to go IF you TELL them which area of the Don Pablo Resort you want to be in so that you can be sure not to overlook the dumpsters. I'm not sure if this is just a fluke or not, but we had limited air condition the entire stay. We even had to request a fan in our room AFTER our room "change" for a better view (with still limited A/C). If it weren't for Lorraine, Grant and "Smiley"--I don't know what we would have done. I was almost at a point of putting a stop payment on my credit card. The food was at best, average. Well, no, that's being kind. Yes, the Don Pablo Restaurant was the best there (if that says anything) but my husband arrived in a nice attire, beautiful Tommy Bahama dress shirt and pressed docker shorts only to have us sent back to the room because they wouldn't let him in to the restaurant without pants. We came back in "jeans"....another little boy was in there with shorts (a bathing suit) and a father was sitting at a table with a fake hat (Jamaica colors) and long dread locks--classy, at best.

I will NEVER go back to this resort. The pool was very nice. The beach was great if you wouldn't have to walk 1/2 mile to avoid the rocks and the hard shell beach (water shoes a MUST). The resort is far too large for the staff to pay attention. We travel often and have never left such a review, but I am not even on my flight home yet, and had to warn the people who are spending a lot of money to come here. Relocate if you can. Some of the staff was great. Butler service....let me tell you what it is.....it's them putting one white glove on as they are wheeling your luggage to the bus upon checkout. Kind of funny. I better go now before I get too pissed off typing about it. Change your vacation to a different hotel if you have time. WE LOVE JAMAICA! Truly! The natives are about as friendly as they can be--true gems. The resort....go somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank MTSI
Ilse S, Social Media Coordinator at Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us know your impressions about your stay at Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica.

We regret not having been able to meet your expectations and hope you accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you've experienced. We have taken note about all your comments and have been forwarded to our management for its revision.

We would love to host you once again, to exceed your expectations this time.

Yours respectfully,

Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Reviewed June 10, 2013

It was the best stay ever! We've been to many different resorts in many different locations but Bahia Principle Don Pablo Section in Jamaica exceeded our expectations. I'm extremely picky when it comes to food but first time ever I gained weight after resort vacation. The general buffet food was excellent and even though we stayed there for 12 days I didn't get tired of it because each night different food was being served. The a'la carte restaurants were very good, especially Don Pablo Gourment restaurant. The room was very clean and large, same as a bathroom. The gronds were kept clean 24/7. The employees very nice and extremely attentive. If you don't have a smie on your face don't be surprised if you'll be approached and asked if everything is ok. I highly recommend this resort!

Dear Izabela,

Thank you for your kind note.

It is thrilling to learn that you have considered your holiday with our hotel as your best vacation ever and we have been able to surpass all of your expectations with the food at the buffets and a la cartes, room, its size and cleanliness, grounds and the friendly staff.

For us, it has been an honor to serve you and we cannot wait to serve you again in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Jamaica.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay? Share your experiences!