“GREAT ESCAPE!!”

Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
“GREAT ESCAPE!!”
Reviewed December 1, 2004

WOW!! Talk about a trip to another planet. This place was so relaxing and hospitable it was beyond belief. My husband and I were there for a week and just got home Saturday the 27th of Nov. I couldn't wait to check in and just assure all those enroute to get prepared for a whole new world. The biggest thing that I came away with was this slow, relaxing, pace. You are pampered and treated like royalty and there is nothing to get stressed out about!!!

We have lots of great memories that will last a lifetime. Thank you Jamaica and Royal Decameron.

The Smiths
Canada

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed November 29, 2004

We booked a trip to the Royal Decameron in March 2004. This is in no way a 5 star resort. It's a very good 3 star resort. We knew that when we booked the trip and were not dissappointed. The staff is extremely helpful and courteous. Food is good for "island food". Rooms are cute. This resort is very popular among Europeans......we noticed many french and german guests. There were lots of families with children. We had booked a 6 day trip to Royal Decameron. On the 3rd day, there was a note left on our door to come and see guest services. They told us that they were overbooked and asked us if we would "mind" being moved to a 5 star hotel in Ocho Rios (20 minute cab ride) at the Jamaica Grande Rennaisance Hotel. We thought this had to be a joke! Nope it wasn't. They put us in a cab to the Jamaica Grande Rennaisance. What a resort!!!! We truly enjoyed that. Excellent hotel, top shelf liquor, great food. More americans and couples at this resort. We had looked at the prices for this hotel and they were almost double that of the Decameron. What a deal! Would DEFINITELY stay at the Jamaica Grande again! I would not mind going back to Decameron, however, I would hope that they overbooked again.

Reviewed November 29, 2004

7 to 14 November 2004.
Stayed at this lovely resort, could not fault it. People were very friendly, it was the BEST holiday every.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 21, 2004

This resort overall was good. Food was good except
the scrambled eggs in the morning but you could get them fixed in other ways(sunnyside up, over light etc.) or they would make you an omelet.
Entertainment was ok and the staff for the most
part were friendly.
During our entire stay there was no hot water in either the men's or women's bathroom near the buffet restaurant and the air hand dryer did not function. Also after the first day the hand towel roll was not replaced and you could not dry your hands. And at one point the dryer was torn from the wall. it was put back up the next day.
I do think that that the problems with the restroom facilities should have been taken care of sooner since the manager used those same facilities twice while i was using them and had to know of the problems.
The ocean view cottage we had was nice and the cleaning staff did an excellent job.
The service at the bar was below average from
most of the bartenders with the exception of Melissa who was right on top of things if you went to the bar when she worked.
There is no US currency ATM on the premises and the closest one is around the corner from the resort
and only dispenses Jamaican currency. This is an issue they should address as well as the reluctance of the desk staff to change bills for you.
The grounds were well kept and most of the other visitors were very friendly and repeat visitors from
England,Australia, Germany, Ireland and Austria which made for a great mixture. The Germans were very friendly and are not afraid to party.
The on-site trio's playing music were very good.
They offer a good variety of water sports and also
pool aerobics. We never felt uncomfortable during our entire stay.
You get your money's worth here for the most part.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 20, 2004

I was worried about visiting this resort prior to our arrival due to some not very favourable reviews.
However after spending 2 weeks there in August 04 we just didn't want to leave!
The whole place was ALWAYS spotless, the staff were amazing, all were curtious and helpfull and so so happy. The food was of more than adequate quality and the entertainment just went on non stop if you wanted it.
A superb place that we will be going back to and will recommend to any one.
Ignore the bad reviews (mainly from Americans!!)
Go there and you WILL have an IRIE time.
Feel free to email me if you want to ask questions.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Deal, Kent
Reviewed November 14, 2004

My friend and I stayed from 12th - 26th October. Our first impression was how clean the resort was. We had a cottage right on the beach, but, the only moan I can have is that is was located next to the jetty by the watersports and lacked privacy and was quite noisy with the disco & the emergency generator when needed (cottage no. 1) - the lifeguards, though extremely friendly, liked to sit on the wall outside our window and we found that the curtains had to be kept closed quite often as people walking past our window could see straight into our bedroom - however, lesson learnt, and next time I go I will request a quieter location between the main pool and the jetty bar. I thought the food was excellent and the service generally was very good. The staff in general were very friendly and helpful - I must mention that George who works in the 'swing bar' on the jetty was my favourite, always a smile on his face and never sees you with an empty glass! he also played some fantastic reggae music - Garfield & Taz & Carlos are lovely guys too. I decided on my last day that this is where I want to spend my big 'five O' in March 2005 - I cannot think of anywhere else I would like to be on my birthday. So thanks to all at Royal Decameron and see you in 2005. Angie & Gill

4 Thank AngieDeal_Kent
London Ontario
Reviewed November 13, 2004

My Mom, daughter and myself stayed here from Nov.6 to Nov. 13. I was very disappointed in it at first. The resort is very very old and needs major renovations. We stayed in a cottage with a loft the first night, but needed to change as 2 of the 3 of us have trouble with stairs. The staff at the front desk need lessons on how to deal with the public. We were very pleasant about asking to change rooms and told them why. After grumbling to themselves they told us we could change rooms the next day. When we got to the other cottage there was on 1 king sized bed for 3 of us. They fianally brought another bed and we were quite comfortable. The staff, other than the front desk and the female bar tenders are really friendly. I however wouldn't stay here again as I prefer a nicer resort. I quess you get what you pay for. We had a minor twister go thru and put all of the chair and table in the pool during and evening show. No one was hurt although it was a bit scarey. If you are going during Nov. or Dec. an umbrella might be a good idea. Defiantely take an alarm clock as they have no clocks in the room and even though you may request a wake up call you probably won't get it. The manager was present most of the week including when the twister went thru, but all he does is try to pick up girls at the bar.
The atmosphere is very casual and the food and drink excellent. If you have any questions about it give you can email me at klittlenoble@hotmail.com

• Stayed November 2004
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#19 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!