“Worth what you spend”

Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Aurora, IL
Reviewed November 21, 2004

This resort overall was good. Food was good except
the scrambled eggs in the morning but you could get them fixed in other ways(sunnyside up, over light etc.) or they would make you an omelet.
Entertainment was ok and the staff for the most
part were friendly.
During our entire stay there was no hot water in either the men's or women's bathroom near the buffet restaurant and the air hand dryer did not function. Also after the first day the hand towel roll was not replaced and you could not dry your hands. And at one point the dryer was torn from the wall. it was put back up the next day.
I do think that that the problems with the restroom facilities should have been taken care of sooner since the manager used those same facilities twice while i was using them and had to know of the problems.
The ocean view cottage we had was nice and the cleaning staff did an excellent job.
The service at the bar was below average from
most of the bartenders with the exception of Melissa who was right on top of things if you went to the bar when she worked.
There is no US currency ATM on the premises and the closest one is around the corner from the resort
and only dispenses Jamaican currency. This is an issue they should address as well as the reluctance of the desk staff to change bills for you.
The grounds were well kept and most of the other visitors were very friendly and repeat visitors from
England,Australia, Germany, Ireland and Austria which made for a great mixture. The Germans were very friendly and are not afraid to party.
The on-site trio's playing music were very good.
They offer a good variety of water sports and also
pool aerobics. We never felt uncomfortable during our entire stay.
You get your money's worth here for the most part.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Romney Marsh, England
Reviewed November 20, 2004

I was worried about visiting this resort prior to our arrival due to some not very favourable reviews.
However after spending 2 weeks there in August 04 we just didn't want to leave!
The whole place was ALWAYS spotless, the staff were amazing, all were curtious and helpfull and so so happy. The food was of more than adequate quality and the entertainment just went on non stop if you wanted it.
A superb place that we will be going back to and will recommend to any one.
Ignore the bad reviews (mainly from Americans!!)
Go there and you WILL have an IRIE time.
Feel free to email me if you want to ask questions.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 14, 2004

My friend and I stayed from 12th - 26th October. Our first impression was how clean the resort was. We had a cottage right on the beach, but, the only moan I can have is that is was located next to the jetty by the watersports and lacked privacy and was quite noisy with the disco & the emergency generator when needed (cottage no. 1) - the lifeguards, though extremely friendly, liked to sit on the wall outside our window and we found that the curtains had to be kept closed quite often as people walking past our window could see straight into our bedroom - however, lesson learnt, and next time I go I will request a quieter location between the main pool and the jetty bar. I thought the food was excellent and the service generally was very good. The staff in general were very friendly and helpful - I must mention that George who works in the 'swing bar' on the jetty was my favourite, always a smile on his face and never sees you with an empty glass! he also played some fantastic reggae music - Garfield & Taz & Carlos are lovely guys too. I decided on my last day that this is where I want to spend my big 'five O' in March 2005 - I cannot think of anywhere else I would like to be on my birthday. So thanks to all at Royal Decameron and see you in 2005. Angie & Gill

4  Thank AngieDeal_Kent
Reviewed November 13, 2004

My Mom, daughter and myself stayed here from Nov.6 to Nov. 13. I was very disappointed in it at first. The resort is very very old and needs major renovations. We stayed in a cottage with a loft the first night, but needed to change as 2 of the 3 of us have trouble with stairs. The staff at the front desk need lessons on how to deal with the public. We were very pleasant about asking to change rooms and told them why. After grumbling to themselves they told us we could change rooms the next day. When we got to the other cottage there was on 1 king sized bed for 3 of us. They fianally brought another bed and we were quite comfortable. The staff, other than the front desk and the female bar tenders are really friendly. I however wouldn't stay here again as I prefer a nicer resort. I quess you get what you pay for. We had a minor twister go thru and put all of the chair and table in the pool during and evening show. No one was hurt although it was a bit scarey. If you are going during Nov. or Dec. an umbrella might be a good idea. Defiantely take an alarm clock as they have no clocks in the room and even though you may request a wake up call you probably won't get it. The manager was present most of the week including when the twister went thru, but all he does is try to pick up girls at the bar.
The atmosphere is very casual and the food and drink excellent. If you have any questions about it give you can email me at klittlenoble@hotmail.com

• Stayed: November 2004
2  Thank littledale
Reviewed November 8, 2004

We stayed at Royal DeCameron from Oct. 19th through Oct. 30th. We went for our honeymoon and it was everything and more that we expected. The staff was wonderful, very accomodating and helpful in all respects. Thanks to the front desk staff, Judith who helped us get settled in the right ocean front cabana, Neil who was always cheerful and willing to help, and Tamara who always had a warm, friendly smile. Most of all thanks to Herman the General Manager. Herman was on top of everything that was happening for the resort and his guests. We were especially impressed with him when he made sure that some of the English guests did not have to spend several hours at the airport when their plane was delayed. Herman told Air Jamiaca in no uncertain terms that "his guests" would not spend hours at the airport. He made them re-arrange their pick up time for these guests and they were able to stay at the resort and have dinner and relax prior to their ride to the airport. Thats what I call going "above and beyond". Not many resorts would take that much personal interest in their guests.
We had no problem with hot water, air conditioning, or towels. I don't know where these people got these horror stories, but we found none of it true. The rooms were very clean, and the maids even left us fresh flowers on our bed daily. The cabanas are not new, but very clean and comfortable.
The swing bar was very entertaining, especially with George. We loved his music and his fun loving spirit. The Jasmine was great for lunches, when we often times just wanted something lite. The food was fabulous and we had more than we needed to eat at every meal. The Jamaican nights were the best for different kinds of foods.
Our representative from Jamaica Vacations, Latesha was great support and very knowledgeable of the tours and the resort. We took 2 tours, the best of which was the Bob Marley tour. A must in our book!
Don't miss the spa/salon. Rebecca is the manager of the spa and she is a wonderful person who will assist you with all your beauty needs. Also the nurse Ann at the resort was most helpful to my husband when he ended up with an ear infection. She phoned the doctor and he made a visit to the hotel to see my husband and give him the appropriate medications. All our needs were met, even medical.
We had a wonderful honeymoon thanks to the Royal DeCameron staff and its lovely resort. Don't be misled by any of these spoiled, self-centered people who think it is not worth it. I would highly recommend it to anyone, and we will for sure be back again next year.
So go and have a wonderful Jamaican holiday....Ya Mon, Jamaica and Royal DeCameron are the best!

7  Thank lea54
Reviewed November 5, 2004

We went from Oct 5th 04 - 20 Oct 20th O4

We stopped in a courtyard room, that was very clean, however very small, no drawers to put clothes in. If you haven’t booked already, book a cottage there really nice. I can’t really complain, as I knew this before hand. There was always hot water, shower was very powerful. No problems there!! It had a king size bed, cable TV and phone etc

The complex is quite spread out with paths leading to different bungalows, very nice. On the way up to the hotel, when you see it for the first time, my first impression was very nice and clean, and it looked one of the best from the airport excluding Wynham Rose Hall, that looked spectacular!!

The activities were good during day, water skiing, glass bottom boat rides, kayaks, pedlos to hire, Tennis etc. There is a coral reef that runs parallel to the bay, and if you can swim out further there are sticks edging out of the water to warn boats of the reef. There are some good fish to see out there, however the reef is pretty dead compared to Cancun (East Mexico) and North Coast Dominican (Luperon area) but it is still pretty good. Access into the water is no problem, I can’t see where the water shoes thing has come from? Just be aware!!
If you like sea life we saw a sting ray come right up to the shore when we were there, and also a sea snake.

The beach as in the pictures you may have already obtained is very small. It looks man made, and there isn’t much in the way of quality sand, but it looks okay for your photos, but its no Cancun!!

The Jetty bar is good, a guy called George works there, and you will never have an empty glass. The main bar is good however the staff in the day (a Lady) is very rude, never says thanks or anything, hence no tip to you love!!!

The restaurants A La Carte are very nice food. They alternate the Jamaican restaurant, and the Asian Restaurant every night. The Buffet runs every night, and on Saturday its the buffet only. This is Jamaican night. The Asian restaurant has a different menu every time you go in. Try the Green Chicken Curry; it’s as good as, if not better than a Thai restaurant. In the Jamaican restaurant try the Bammi Beef, that is also very nice. We ate at the A La Carte restaurants every night we could, as I like the service when im on holiday, and a buffet is to quick!! They serve house wine that is red or white. I thought it was very nice and never gave us a headache, and believe me we drank a lot. It’s the same as Paul Masson, California wines in the bottles that look like giant jam jars. If you like Paul Masson, then you will like the wine here. You can also order champagne, and vintage wine for extra costs. Good if you’re celebrating a birthday.

The buffet we had a look at, had nice food at night, however I think it was only popular due to the obese English people eating as much as they could. We met a lot of people that didn’t bother with the A La Carte restaurants, but I do believe it to be that they need at least 5 plates to fill them.

We booked the restaurants as late as 4.45pm so I don’t know where the getting up as 7.00am came from in some reviews.

The food in the day was nice also; we ate at the buffet in the day most, as it had a healthy selection. The Asian Restaurant in the day is the beach grill. This serves good pizzas and burgers, but the hot dogs were made of chicken?

I would give the food and drink here 10/10 if you plan to visit.

The quiet pool (adult pool) is very nice. No noise from the entertainment crew, however there is no bar. There is a guy there that serves you drinks out of a cool box, but no cocktails etc. If you are a family travelling with children and you don’t like the noise from the main pool, I guess you’re stuffed!!

Why this isn’t 5 out of 5 but came near! – Don’t be put off by this as this was only our opinion, and some people loved every bit! -
The entertainment was dire, once you have eaten there isn’t much to do, you sit through the same show as the week before, and then hit the disco. There is a nice pool table in there, but this only opens at 11.00pm. You will find it hard to get away from the noise here. It gets blasted out all day during the activities, and then you will be included in activities all day if you sit near the pool, from a lady blasting her voice down a microphone all day and night. A lot of the English joined in, but watching a load of fat people running around with melons tooked inside there legs shouting good to go!! Wasn’t for us!!

We visited Puerto Vallarta last year, to the Buscerias, and stopped at the decameron there. I would say the style there is the same, in the food selection, red and white wine, 6.30pm - 8.30pm sittings for meals, but it was much better than here I would have to say. The entertainment was better, and so was the service!! Quicker, more friendly and happier!!

The trips we went on were Dunn’s River Falls, inclusive of Shaw Park Botanical Gardens and a craft market. This was a really nice day out, and you will get some nice photos. They also do a booze cruise catamaran from a mile down the coast where your crammed in drinking beer, but I thought it better to see different things as well. The botanical gardens were a shoot for a James bond film, live and let die.

We went on the down hill bike ride tour in the Blue Mountains very nice indeed!!

We also went horse riding on the beach, and raced them in the sea, a brilliant day out!!

Overall we had a great time, We wouldn’t go back as we always go different places, but we would hand on heart recommend it for the money, but just beware that you will be with half of the U.K population whilst you are there, that only wear football tops all day and night!! And like to get their moneys worth!!

Scores
water sports 10/10
Activities at night 3/10

Holiday overall
8/10
Peter and Jane ( Nottm England )

• Stayed: October 2004
6  Thank TravelPages
Kendal, UK
Reviewed October 29, 2004

We stayed at the Royal Decameron from the 19th October for 7 days. We can honestly say that we cannot fault this resort. We stayed in a garden view cottage which was spacious, clean and the maid did a fantastic job of keeping us supplied with bottles of water and fresh towels. We found the beach loverly and clean and a great place to relax and sunbath (the middle cove is the place to be if you want to get involved in the activities).

The food was very varied with a different theme everyday apart from breakfast. It was cooked to a high standard and everything was topped up before it ran out. However if the food was not to your liking you can always go to the beach grill for a burger and chips to do Burger King proud!!

Drinks were always available and there was a large choice to cater for all tastes, they were is small cups but you just get a few at a time.

Entertainment was always happening near the main pool and bar area and you could join in or just watch, the staff were never to pushy.

Overall the staff were very friendly and helpful and we would not hesitate to return to the Royal Decameron. Yehmon, we is good to go!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2004
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
#24 of 63 in Montego Bay
Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!