“Just Perfect!”

Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
“Just Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2004

My husband and two daughters (aged 7 and 10) stayed at this resort from 31.3.04 to 13.4.04.We had a garden view"hut" - number 122 - which was just a short stroll from the beach. Even with a giant double bed and two single beds our room still had plenty of space. The shower room was adequate along with a walk-in wardrobe. The room was always spotless - the tap water was drinkable - ant the air conditioning was a Godsend!!Having two children, we ate all of our meals in the buffet. Breakfasts were fantastic - we can wholey recommend the omolettes which were made to order - and the delicious fruits. Our girls loved the pancakes!!Evening meals were themed on a one week menu rotation. There was so much choice with excellent quality and presentation.We enjoyed cocktails from the bar. Staff were always attentive - and made special efforts not to pass over our children as they qued at the bar for their banana milkshakes ond orange juice!Over Easter itself the hotel was very busy - one of us always had to get up to reserve sunbeds in the shade early each day- essential for white British skin! The sun is unbelievably intense here - shade and very high protection factor sun cream are a must!Beach towels also seemed to be in short supply - so either get them as soon as the towel hut opens at 8am or bring your own!We went on a couple of day trips: Martha Brae Rafting / Dunns River Appleton rum estate / YS falls / Black River safariAll were excellent.The Black river day trip was exhausting - but worthwhile.Though had we known it would involve 7 hours in a minibus we would have thought twice about going with two children!!Having said that - the scenery was fantastic - and we learnt so much about the island.The resort is so laid back - the holiday was really restful.We travelled with Virgin on Air Jamaica.This was great too.A half empty plane on the return trip meant we had lots of room to spread out - but the seat pitch was generous anyway.The resort is gated - we felt safe to let our children wander around with their new-found friends. They also enjoyed having their hair braided in the resort salon!Go here and have fun. The hotel is not mega posh - but is small, clean, friendly with delicious food and drink. All makes for a wonderful relaxing holiday - which we were sorry when it was over!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (893)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2004

We stayed at the Decameron from March 5-9. We were only there for 4 nights out of a 17 night trip but I wish we could have stayed longer.
We were on a "family honeymoon" and brought our 10 year old daughter with us. I was a little leary about bringing her from some of the reviews I have read, but she had a great time. I had read some things about topless women but we found that they stayed around the separate beach bar, not in the main area. The staff was super friendly (except for the lady with the long braided hair at the front desk who gave us a bit of a hard time when we were checking in--all others were great).
The food was really good, even for my daughter the picky eater, we were always satisfied. The banana mudslides were awesome as were some of the other blender drinks, but the beer was kind of hard to choke down, worse than Sol in Mexico. Found it very strange that you could go to the bar and while getting drinks you could even ask for cigarettes too!
Never seen that before, I had my own canadian smokes but still thought that was kind of weird. Kids club was good, daytime games were ok, nighttime entertainment was good on 1 night. The huts were nice, I had read some bad stuff in other reviews about the air conditioning etc, but we had both air conditioners and the ceiling fan on full blast running 24 hours a day with no problems. The hot water didn't last forever but who needs a 45 minute shower?! Didn't see any bugs in the hut except for a grasshopper 1 night, no big deal. The only thing was that our tv had terrible reception but we spent 99% of the time outside anyways. All in all we had a terrific time and would definitely stay there again.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2004

This was my 2nd trip to Jamaica, and my best. The RDCC was much better than I expected. I was a little worried after reading all the bad reviews. I am greatful that I didn't take their advice. While there I took a lot of tours, which just happen to take you past alot of the resorts. (was not impressed by what I saw) Now granted that was an outside view, but they weren't as attractive as RDCC. I think to enjoy RDCC you must be an out doors type of person. Everything is open to the outdoors even the lobby is open. Your cabana is sealed of course. I too had an ocean front cabana, and all the good comments are on the money.
Yes there are some rocks in the water but come on, what body af water doesn't have rocks? One thing I recomend is that you make reservations for your tours right away when you get there, Marrissa is great she will help alot. If you want to go on the glass bottom boat or the snorkling tour be in line at 7:45 am and get signed up before breakfast, because it fills up fast. NEVER RAN OUT OF HOT WATER IN THE SHOWER. Actually I scolded my foot the first shower I took. Each cabana has its own mini waterheater so if you like 1/2 hour showers you wont make it. one more thing, if you smoke bring plenty of your own smokes, you can get free ones at the bar but you better have iron lungs.
Everything was IRIE.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2004

We read all the reviews from TripAdvisor before and during our trip planning, they were very helpful. My friends and I highly recommend the RDCC!!! The very few negative reviews you'll find are ridiculous, these people must have expected Trump Towers in New York. The food was wonderful and plentiful --- what a variety, something for every taste.
Plenty of fresh fruit and vegatables, a variety of meats -- roasted, grilled, fried, baked, etc... And the desserts --- I'm speechless!!!
The drinks were great, I was a particular fan of the pineapple daiquiris and chi-chis. The resort was beautiful and SPOTLESS -- totally spotless, there was constantly someone sweeping, mopping, etc.
Our cabanas were beach front. They were not by any means the most modern decor or the most elegant, but soooo comfortable and soooo clean. If anyone has watching the movie "Dirty Dancing", the RDCC is a tropical version of the movie, something for everyone. Last but by no means least, the staff --- excellent, so polite, so friendly, so helpful. Final score for the RDCC is definite 10+. And so you know, I come a a long history of family business including restaurants. My immediate family hates to go out to eat with me because I am soooo very picky and critical of service. The RDCC meets my standards with ease!!!! As far as Jamaica as a whole, it's so exciting but please do your homework and be cautious. If your the timid type, I recommend not adventuring out of the resort to often and never without a guide. Our only unnerving experience was in the craft markets in Ocho Rios and Dunn's Falls. Due to a little rough weather, the cruise ships that day couldn't dock so we had no crowds to deal with BUT that made us more of a target. The "vendors" were OVERLY aggressive because the number of tourist that day was way down. I knew to be very firm but my 20 yr. old daughter got a little scared a few times. If you don't want to leave the resort, the RDCC has two very good shops and even brought craft merchants into the resort on "Jamaican Night" before dinner. AGAIN, PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND CHOSE THE RDCC. It's smaller than resorts such as Sandals or Breezes or the Sunspree, and utterly fantastic. I'm definitely looking into some of their other locations and even a return trip.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2004

I have to say that I really enjoyed the Club Carribean (CC)! I stayed in one of the beach front cottages which was awsome. It was maybee 30 feet from the ocean. I also stayed at the Sunset Beach Hotel in MB last year, which is a better rated hotel. Hands down I liked the CC much better. They were both nice places but in the Sunset Beach (SB) I was on the 10th floor. I walked out into a hallway, had to wait for an elevator... I think what both places had in common were the Jamaican people who worked there, they were all awesome. Since my CC room was right next to the water the furnature inside was more designed for someone who just came off the beach with wet clothes, but it was comfortable. The one thing I liked better about SB was that the grill was opened until either 1 or 2 in the morning, where CC I think closed at 10. The food at both was very good, I especially liked the red snapper which they cooked in several different ways. The CC entertainment area by the pool was more of close together than SB so I felt more a part of what was going on, and I could always move down to the beach if I just wanted to relax. CC also has several areas where you can go, the main pool area, a ways down the beach is a little bar almost an island, and the Grill which is further down the beach. The SB had a main area and one little bar way at the end which I think closed at 5. They both had pool tables. I had a great time at CC and I already have reservations to go back this summer, but this time I'm only going to CC. In response to another review, I don't work for Club Carribean.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oshkosh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2004

I would like anyone who is planning on a vacation at the RDCC to know that this is a GREAT resort!! We had a fantastic time!! The staff are wonderful-very friendly and go out of their way to fulfill any little request. The rooms were large and very clean. Little extras such as your towels folded into birds,shells etc and adorned with fresh flowers (which are abundent throughout the resort ) was an extra special treat every day!! Food and Drink was plentiful and delicious. Anyone who does not get their fill of either has only themselves to blame!! The weather was exceptional!! Words cannot describe the different hues of blue in the water!! The activities provided both day and night could keep you busy from sun-up to well after sun-down if you chose to participate.
There was no pressure if you just wanted to lay back and relax instead!! For the price, this was far more than we had expected!! In fact we are already booking for another week in November. We have been on many vacations to sunny places and have stayed at some of the top rated resorts in the world. The RDCC is the first one that we are returning to!! Thank you RDCC staff for a "Most Excellent" vacation!!!
See you in November!!

• Stayed March 2004
3 Thank moonmaiden
Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2004

Just returned from a week's stay at Runaway Bay with my traveling compradre. Since we both had stayed at the RD in Puerta Vallarta, MX last year on spring break, we knew we would have nothing but A+ service. The facility is well kept. Staff are very friendly and bend over backwards to make sure you are having a great time. Food is exceptional. Friday night Jamaica night was the best. Didn't have to leave the complex at all to get a taste of the Jamaica flavor of food.
Kudos to all the bartenders who know how to keep your cup full! Be sure to ask Taz how he got to be "Employee of the Month!" The evening entertainment was always top notch and we loved the afternoon and early evening combos playing at Bar #1. The Disco on Friday and Saturday nights was a blast. The only downside to our entire week at the in Jamaica was our no show from our tour host with Worry-Free Vacations.
This caused us to miss our cab to the airport even though we had been assured by the front desk staff when we needed to be in the lobby.
There was a scramble to get us to the airport on time (at our expense of course). This would not have happened if our tour host would have done her job. We definitely will be returning to the RD hopefully this summer. If you want to rent a cab for a day excursion into the mountains, have the front desk connect you to Murphy. Be firm with the vendors trying to sell their goods. Rule of thumb is to offer them half of what they are asking.

2 Thank Cordelia1849
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
#22 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,132 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!