“What a fab holiday”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Brighton, United Kingdom
“What a fab holiday”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

What an amazing place, the staff are so friendly the place is so clean and the beach is beautiful. Our cottage was a stone throw from the beach with a nice quiet bar where we spent a great amount of time meeting Jamaicans. i will miss my buddy Raymond the beach attendant he was fab and such a great help to us. The food was good and the rum was strong. While we were there we had an amazing thunder storm which struck an electric cable and blew all the electrics. the staff couldn't do enough for us while the problem was resolved. we went out on the street a few times to eat which was cheap and tasty. We did try Sharkys which i was disappointed with it was tasty but expensive for what you got. We done all our trips on our own through a taxi driver called steve he was fantastic taking us where ever we wanted to go. unfortunately the weather was not on our side when we went to Ricks café so there was no sunset but still an amazing place to go to watch the diving .

10 Thank sharron m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (915)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great hotel its true to say the staff def make this hotel speacial , we stayed in a beach hut , no 11 great room nice and central , would not like to be in rooms at far end of resort , it was great just to step straight onto the sand , and swing a fee steps away , the beach is raked every morning .
Cleaners do a basic but good job of rooms every day .

bad points were the pools the main pool was fine if you like to be in the middle of all the entertainment , we found it a bit too much at times sometimes you just want to chill , so we tried the adult only pool but unfortunatly there was building work going on right behide pool and you hear dogs barking all day , such a pretty pool it was a shame and it was also really dirty had scum mark all round edge .

good beach though but dont expect pure white sand . We spent most of our time on beach and it was lovely nice breeze .
Food was good , they are always checking temperture , try the curried goat , and jerk , always find something to eat great range of salads ,
we had a great holiday , after all its what you make it shame about the little things but all in all if your not a real fussy person you will have a great time .
irie

Room Tip: Try get room between swing bar and main bar , best part of the beach
5 Thank margerie h
New Hyde Park, New York
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We went as a large group, 8 adults and 7 adult kids. We are a rowdy group, so the jetty bar was a perfect place to meet up before dinner and make plans for the evening. We also participated in every event we could, which I definitely feel made the most of the vacation. The entire entertainment squad was very warm, learned our names from the beginning and danced with us every night in the club, even though we were the only ones there. The pool and beach access are excellent, you can either be at the center of the party or find your own secluded section. The private cabanas are adorable and spacious for 2, but might get a little bit crowded with any more. The good was decent, not very impressive, but there's an excellent jerk restaurant that is only a cab ride away. We went on one excursion to some caves, we had climbed dunns river falls during a previous trip, but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, as well as the staff that were friendly, welcoming, and made it great

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank ET793559
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here for two weeks in September, despite reading bad reviews I like to make up my own mind.
I can say without a doubt that all those bad reviews were wrong, This is a fantastic resort in the best location.
The resort itself is extremely clean, beautiful beaches all 3 cove, they are kept constantly clean and racked every morning, with plenty of sunloungers, The gardens were always being tended to and maintenance always around if you needed anything doing.

The pools are kept clean and always a life guard around on the beach and at the pools with plenty of sunloungers.

The food can be a little bland at times maybe one or two dishes but there are over 10 dishes at a time to choose from, but there is more than enough to chose from and more than enough to eat, The Breakfast was the best especially the omelettes made to order.mmmm

The drinks are plenty-full and lots to choose from especially the cocktail menu and the Bar staff will make you anything you want even fresh fruit smoothies ( Wonderfull).

I haven't a bad word to say about any of the staff, we never met a rude one and never ever felt threatened by any one,, even outside the hotel. where we went often.We got to know the locals and drank in two great bars outside the resort..Big Links and British Bulldog.The staff work tirelessly to make sure you have a great holiday and will always help you..Never expecting a tip..But tipping when you know how much they get paid is nothing( a few dollars does not kill anyone to tip. Especially when you get to know them (and you will).

The Entertainment at times was a little bit of a let down but you could still have a laugh and that's what a great holiday is about,

The cottages were always cleaned and a great size, plenty of wardrobe space. Flat screen TV and super large comfortable bed.. Hammocks all around the ground to laze on and chill out.

If you plan to go to this resort, get out of the resort and use the locals to get around and walk to the local bars you will be safe and well looked after. Be polite and respectful like any other country you would go to..Yes it is a poor country but the are the friendliest funniest people.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone and have already booked to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
11 Thank orlah1
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed from 22/08/2013 - 5/09/13 as a couple and were married on the beach during our stay. We arrived in rainy weather and our initial reaction on reaching the hotel and seeing our room was a little disappointed. It seemed small and rather tired of decor, but as we unpacked, we discovered there was more than enough room for all our belongings (including our wedding outfits). The room was clean and had large flat screen tv, very efficient air-con, iron, fridge with complimetary water which you could get refilled at any time, and a huge two person shower with loads of hot water. The housekeeping staff were excellent and clean towels and sheets were provided daily, along with toweling swans and flowers on the bed.
The food was delicious, plentiful, and well presented and the waiting staff (thank you particulary Kermit and Collin) were attentive and friendly without being overbearing. Several days there was a themed buffet and there was always something tasty on the grill being cooked fresh.
The grounds were extensive and very well maintained - even the beaches got a morning raking - and the facilities more than adequate, with a gym, tennis courts and a kids club on site. The whole ambiance of the hotel was calm and relaxing, being all on one level with garden rooms (we stayed in the Courtyard where the rooms were a little larger) it didn't feel like a standard hotel - very much nicer!
We loved the fact there were three separate beaches as part of the hotel grounds so there were never more than a few people on any of them at a time, giving you the feeling of being on your own tropical island There were plenty of bars and toilets within easy strolling distance of the beaches so it was easy to spend all day relaxing by the side of the warm Caribbean sea We spent many happy hours whiling away the time and watching the antics of the tiny crabs scuttling about.
The evening entertainment was fine (in the two weeks we didn't see the same show twice) and the animation team were friendly but not pushy.
Our wedding was just as we hoped, barefoot on the beach and very relaxed and laid back with Davian of guest relations ensuring the ceremony was exactly as we had requested
There were plenty of trips that the Rep detailed to us, but with our minds set firmly on tanning and getting wed, we didn't do any of them so cannot say what they were like.
All in all - we had a fabulous time during our stay and have no complaints whatsoever. We have no hesitation in recommending The Royal Decameron Club Caribbean as a destination if you want a totally chilled holiday.

Room Tip: Personally, I would go for the courtyard rooms, rather than the cottages. I think they are slightly...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank allyblain
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

we travelled to the Royal Decameron Club hotel from 20 July 2013 returning on 1 August 2013. This was our fourth visit to Jamaica and a holiday we were very much looking forward to. After a long journey we arrived at our hotel, tired but wanting to unpack and unwind. We were taken to our room where we were left. The toilet was broken so we didn't unpack, awaiting 2 hours before this was fixed. Not wanting to let this overshadow our holiday we got on with the unpacking so that we could go for our dinner. The cottage style room was spacious but extremely shabby, having said that we didn't want to be spending a lot of time in our room so we tried not to let that get us down. The food in the main restaurant was very poor in terms of selection. Added to this was the reluctance of the waiters to serve us which made it a less than pleasant dining experience. Despite asking several times for drinks, the waiters either just ignored us or forgot to return with our drinks. A few times we had to go outside to the bar to get our own drinks. The waiters were more attentive to their Jamaican guests.
The food choice was also below par. Although there was a Jamaican a la carte restaurant above the main buffet restaurant, the main feature of the buffet was Jamaican food, every day of our holiday. There were several days in a row that I could not eat dinner.
Finally, the entertainment was very repetitive. I did mention it to the rep but she wasn't bothered. All in all an extremely disappointing holiday - the worst one we have had in Jamaica. When we returned I wrote a letter to Thomson holidays explaining our experience and expressing our feelings about the holiday. I received a call from the Customer Complaints Department on Friday 20 September when I spoke to someone called Guy. He apologised for the fact that we hadn't enjoyed our holiday but told me that there had been no other complaints, even though I know others had experienced the same and had completed their evaluation questionnaires. I was told we were staying at a 3 star hotel, almost saying that my expectations were too high - I told him that I had spent time in a 3 star hotel on my past 3 visits and this holiday didn't even come close. We talked about my complaint at length. He told me they wouldn't consider paying compensation even though I hadn't asked for any! I asked what they would do in response to the points I raised, hoping they would try and ensure other customers didn't experience what we had. He said he would E Mail the resort manager but he told me to put my review on a site such as Trip Advisor which other potential customers could read. I was very surprised given that Thomson holidays are in the business of selling holidays but I didn't want to disappoint them. Please read this review before you decide to go.

Room Tip: All rooms seem similar but you could request one on edge of the beach.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank judy s
Hampshire
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We have just returned from our 14 night stay at the Royal Decameron and I can only say it exceeded all my expectations. The place was a paradise. The staff, no matter who you spoke to were so helpful and just couldn't do enough for you. The waiters and waitresses work exceptionally hard and were always so cheerful. The food choice was wonderful and varied from day-to-day, having breakfast to Bob Marley tunes was a great way to start the day! I had read previous bad experiences on trip advisor regarding this resort but I can honestly say I never encountered anything like the problems others had mentioned. I simply cannot speak any higher of the place. The recreational staff are full of energy and go out of their way to ensure you are entertained and happy. The huts are basic and spacious and very clean.
Whilst we were there, we experienced the back end of a Hurricane and the hotel was struck by lightning which left no power for several hours but this in no way affected daily operations and the staff worked really hard to ensure minimal disruption (even the kitchen staff, cooks & chefs came out and did an impromptu dance routine!)
My observations are only really regarding trips. Do not jump into booking your holiday excursions to soon. Our tour rep had us signing up on the first day and sold us three trips. It pays to shop around as there are better offers to be had, especially via the locals in the foyer. One trip in particular I want to highlight; 'Cool Runnings' - This is apparently an Award winning trip via First Choice but was a big disappointment. We were told that Tuesdays were for 'First Choice Customers Only' and the boat would be exclusive to us. When we got on-board it was full of Americans who had clearly been on board a while, most of the seats etc were taken up and the bar was in full swing. We ended up sitting in a tight space on the deck. Also, the crew spent most of the time trying to sell souvenirs' and there was no food on board. (unless you count small packs of Pringles @$3 each)The 'cool runnings cruise' to Dunns River Falls consisted of 5 minutes motoring from the mooring to a reef for a 30 minute snorkel experience, followed by about 10 minutes more motoring to the falls. The falls were brilliant though and I recommend attempting the climb, its not as hard as its made out to be. However we found out after that we could have got a bus to the falls from the hotel for $10, so in my opinion, 'Cool Runnings' was a waste of money and certainly is not 'exclusive' or 'Award Winning'. We took this up with the rep upon our return but she simply did not have an answer to why another tour operator was on board the same trip as ours. Another one to be aware of is the shopping trips to Ocho Rios, again booked through your rep. The bus arrived and took us on time but along the way the driver picked up our 'guide'. He introduced himself and took us around the first shopping area then said he would 'guide' us through the market. He took us through the market and no-one bothered us but he wouldn't let us stop and look at anything as he said he was taking us somewhere first. It turned out to be HIS market stall and was very insistent that we bought something. After we bought a wood carving that we really didn't want just to appease him, he just left us! It was run-the-gauntlet to get out of there as the attempts by market traders to get you into their various stalls was relentless, My wife and I were exhausted after we got out of there. Again we took this up with the rep and she said there was not supposed to be a guide on this trip? - It appears driver had arranged it himself . We also did the 'Free-Wheelin' cycling in the Blue Mountains, an awesome experience but what they don't tell you is that it takes three hours to get there on the bus, two to three hours cycling and then three hours to get back again!
So in summary, the resort, the staff, food et all were fantastic and I cannot recommend the place enough, but be wary on the trips and excursions - Shop around!

Room Tip: Hut 118 - Its literally 20 paces from the beach but not classed as 'Beach Front' due to a sm...
1 Thank The B
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
#25 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!