“Had a GOOD time”

Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
Southfield, MI
Reviewed February 25, 2004

Over all I had a great vacation. Most of the people ar nice with an occassional attitude. I stayed at the Royal Decameron Club Carribean which is an all inclusive resort for seven days. There was good entertainment and a friendly staff. We stayed in single hut style rooms. We were located off the beach but to close to the entertainment which lasted till 11pm-11:30. The room location was the worse part! The food was good I liked it but my wife did not like the food much but she is REALLY picky. I also enjoyed water sports were also included as part of the package.We went on local tours in the Runaway Bay area and in Ocho Rios. If you decide to do this, I'm forwarning you that the homes are very poor so that the shock factor is less.Before you go you have to decide if you want to just lounge around at the resort/Hotel or if you want to do site seeing. If you want to site see than I would recommend Chukka Cove as your guide. We did Horse Back riding on land and through the water, Dunns River and River tubing with them. The driver(Stewey and Mike) were great. The Chukka Cove tour takes through the Mountains and shows you the Jamaican history. It is highly recommended. We also went Mountain Biking through Blue Mountain Tours which took a full day in the rain but I had fun. I recommend bringing bug spray, water shoes, sun block, swim suits and lots of dollars for tiping. We took along $50 worth of one dollar bills for seven days.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (3,955)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2004

We were supposed to go to the Royal Decameron between Feb. 9 and Feb.
16. The thursday before we were to leave, we got a call from our travel agent to tell us that The Decameron had overbooked and therefore our reservation was cancelled. Maybe this is standard procedure for hotels, I wouldn't know as this was our first vacation away in many years. Our alternatives were The Montego Beach Resort or our money back. We weren't thrilled with either option.

I've always had good things to say about The Decameron hotels as I've stayed in a few but not anymore. I'll never book at another one of their hotels again. So, good luck to anyone who books here hopefully your reservations will be honoured.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 18, 2004

i got married there on 2nd jan 04, it was excellent!! Anne wedding co- is great, really worked hard for us, and rev thomas is wonderfull, if your getting married there, have paul the photographer, our photos are amazing. word of advice if oyu have a afternoon wedding, book your meal, early and demand that your wedding party be seated together. but over all we loved every minute of it.

1  Thank Jarvis08
Bailey, Colorado
Reviewed February 16, 2004

My husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the Royal Decameron in January. It was the best vacation we've had. If you want Jamacian culture, you'll find it there. Our room was very clean (no bugs), the food was great, loved the beach. There are areas to swim unlike some of the reviews I read that there wasn't a swimming area.
The grounds are beautiful and the staff friendly. We were actually upgraded to a 5 star resort the middle of the week. However, we would go back to RDC in a heart beat! Snorkeling was great right off the beach and the bike tour with Decamrod (our guide) was great! We can't wait to go back!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Gloucestershire, England
Reviewed February 11, 2004

Well, although i am only 17, this was one of the best resorts, and countries i have ever been to! There is loads to do around the resort, such as tennis, shuffleboard, swimming obviously, and all types of water activities! The staff were fabulous, and so were the entertainments. Rain or shine, they had a way of entertaining us to the very end of the night. As i was 16 when my family went, I was hoping to find other youngsters, my age to bond with. All the holiday makers were friendly, and made friends in no time!! we went in late july 2003, and still keep in touch with people we met. I cant say there was anything that couldnt keep someone occupied. Whether you go to lay by the pool all day, or hope for an active couple of weeks, you will not be dissapointed. There are many excurtions to choose from, like the Dolphin Cove... and my favourite, Dunn's River Falls. Although it looks scary, it is a good day out, especially if you choose to get there on the "Catamaran boat" such good fun! All types of rooms were superb, the appartments were clean and tidy, as were the cottages... the ocean was very refreshing in the hot climate, and there is plenty of beach to lay down a towel! The Beach Bar was fantastic, we went there regularly for our lunch and they do all sorts for you to choose. The evening meals were also very nice! there wasnt a meal there that i couldnt eat. It was all very nice. If you choose to spring some money for this holiday, you will be presently surprised with what you receive!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The Midlands, England
Reviewed February 9, 2004

I agree with all those who can't understand the poor reviews for this location - I have recently returned from a week's holiday with friends & we had a wonderful time. Food was excellent, plenty of choice even for vegetarians & vegans! The people were helpful, happy and full of rhythmn, something you can't say for most of our customer services over here. We stayed in one of the Garden Cottages which was cleaned every day with fresh water left in our fridge. I would definitely go back. In fact, I'm on my way now.........

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Todd - New Jersey - USA
Reviewed February 4, 2004

First of all this is Jamaica, Not America!!, this place was great, Dont be put off by these reviews, Yes there are women walking around topless in thongs, i only saw young women, so what! my wife said she wished she was as brave! its the carribean!And smoking Wow a few guys smoking after their meal, big deal, i never had a problem! What i do think is, people copy of other review complaints because there bored! If you dont like 3 star pay for 5 star, and stop moaning.The food is great, the beach was clean, and yes there is a beach, if your worried look at one of the links above! to view the hotel.I am going back next year! and i would honestly say book this place, you wont be disapointed!came back Late Jan 2004!! *****

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
#24 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!