“A very nice place”

Royal Decameron Club Caribbean
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Runaway Bay
“A very nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2004

My wife, 2 year old daughter and I spent a week (1-13 to 1-20) at Royal Decameron Club Caribbean and had very good time. Lets start from the beginning. We arrived to sunshine and 85 degree weather in Mojo Bay and we quickly went through customs and to our prearranged transportation for the 1.5 HR ride to Runaway Bay. The trip from the airport to the resort is as bumping as going off-road 4 wheeling. The projected completion date of the road is 2 years but to me and to the laugh of our driver, 5 years is more like it. On the way you stop at a 1/2 point at a bar and gift area. By the bathrooms is a 5ft marijuana plant. A photo op if you have never seen one. Beer is s $4 a bottle up considerably from 13 years ago when it was $1. Once at the resort you pass on your right the tennis courts and on your left the resorts stores and gift shops. We made our way into the resort to the front desk. Not a very cheerful group with a bit of an attitude. Nothing to worry about. We hadn't planned to deal with them much. The check-in was quick and easy. They just handed us the room key, safe key ($2 a day fee), TV controller and towel cards and we were on our way. Off we went to go to our cabana, 120. We passed a medium sized pool, Pick A Pepper restaurant, and the main bar. The cabana is basically simple. King sized bed, bathroom, closet space, desk, table and a couple of chairs.
The AC worked OK. Not that it was important because your never in room.
The hot water in the shower lasted 10 minutes at the most, so quick showers are a must. There is only about 7 channels on the TV and none are major networks. There are only two disappointments about the room.
One that there was no literature about the hotel and tours. So exploring was the way you figured things out. The second was there was no room to put your clothes. The is some hanging space but no drawers.
On to exploring the resort. The beaches were nice. Combed sand, mostly enough lawn chairs to layout and straw umbrellas scattered along the way. The water comes up to your belly, its warm but there is a few rocky areas, so be careful. The water while we were there was very calm, so know worries about letting kids play in the water. The resort offers glass bottom boat rides, banana rides, and a snorkeling trip.
All included in your package. Snorkeling equipment can be obtain at the same place were you receive your towels by the Pick-A-Pepper restaurant. The gathering area has the main pool, bar, restaurant and stage for shows and activities. The pool is medium sized. The depth ranges from 4 to 8 feet. The water in the pool is very cold. I'm talking nippily cold. It takes a good 5 agonizing minutes to good use to. Entertainment activities go on all week in this pool. Such as, water volleyball and aerobics. The main bar has a list of 25 drinks to help you order. I recommend the Chi Chi, Jamaican Lawyer and the banshee. The bar also provides cigarettes. The staff was always friendly and accommodating to your requests. The Pick-A-Pepper restaurant is buffet. There are theme nights. The food doesn't really change, just the way they prepare it. Its mostly chicken, pasta, beef, snapper and veggies. They do have a grill set off to the side where they would cook the main meat or fish of the night. Ham, roast beef, lamb and snapper. The desserts were always plenty and good. The salad area was nice but rarely changed. Note: Dinner is not served until 7:00pm. Not very good if your child is used to eating at 5 or 5:30. The Club Med was a reservation restaurant serving Italian food. It was nice but nothing exceptional. Reservations are at 6:30 and 8:30 and are made at the front desk. Get there earlier in the morning because it fills up quickly. The stage was used mostly to blare loud music during the day but at night it was used for entertainment. The entertainment was a highlight of our stay. From 8:30-9:30 you usually had the house band play. The house band was very good and always had a different singer.
One night they had someone who moved around like Joe Cocker. Way too funny! From 9:30-11 was the main show. It ranged from games, fire show and Jamaican dancers. Very entertaining. The entertainment staff is exceptional. They make it a point to know your name, involve you in the activities and have a positive attitude at all times. Down at the far end of the beach is the Delta restaurant. Its a grill that is open from 12-5 and at night its an oriental restaurant. We never ate there as the oriental restaurant but the menu looked very good. Note: At all times you must wear shirts and shoes in the restaurants. There is also shuffle board, billiards and ping pong for your entertainment. The grounds were clean and neat. There was constant work going on to improve the place. The beach as I was told was to expand by 30 some yards out to the rock barrier. The machine they are using to build the beach when it begins is VERY LOUD and obtrusive. They had test started it at least twice when I was there and you could hear it anywhere on the resort. This is something you might want to check on before you booked your vacation. If this machine is actually used I would go somewhere else. At 6:30am every other day the resort would spray for bugs. The machine they used sounded like a lawn mower with no muffler.
Needless to say on these days you didn't need a wake up call to get moving. But the machine worked, we never got bit by anything except for the drinks. Expansion on the round deck bar should be completed within a couple weeks. This could very well be a good meeting place for drinks and socializing among the guest. It would also be a great place for before and after dinner for drinks. Right now, it closes too ealry for that. Overall I would give the place of 6.5-7 out of 10. I would consider going back in 5 years. After the completion of the road and improvements to the resorts. But first there are other islands to visit. Jamaica itself is a beautiful country. Like any island you have problems with the overzealous vendors but maybe more so in Jamaica.
Badgering tourists seems like second nature to them. All prices go up considerably when they know your a tourist. A good example was when someone tried selling me a camcorder tape for $30. Something I could buy in the US for $2. There is a lot more a could say about the resort and the tour we took but I think you get gist of everything. If you have any questions about the resort please feel free to e-mail me at smacksjjd@aol.com.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (893)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2004

Horse riding on beach

sailing

thai food

this place is one sexy hideaway!!!

LISA LONDON!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2004

Just read the review from our fellow Scot, dated 14/1/04. Can't say I agree with much that was said. Are there two Royal Decameron complexes in Runanway Bay? I'll give it to you straight... My husband and I arranged to be married there through our travel agent. We paid £439 for the wedding package and discovered that it could be booked at the hotel for $420 US but hey, that's not the fault of the hotel but the UK admin costs. The cost of wedding photographs was significantly higher than the tour operator had quoted and came in around £280. That having been said the quality is excellent, delivered in two days, in a gorgeous album (including all negatives) - and that's still cheaper than you'd pay for the UK equivalent. Wedding was fab. Ann, the wedding co-ordinator did a fantastic job. The flowers for the wedding were great. The Gazebo in the garden was decorated beautifully. Very touching ceremony conducted by Bishop Thomas ('the Rev') who doesn't let you miss the fact he's been married 52 years- now that's a man that'll know what he's talking about. Check out his cool shoes! However ladies, be wary of hairdressing at the salon. I feel styles are suited to afro-caribbean hair. If you're getting your nails done then a few paracetamol before hand would help as it can be fairly painful. As for the hotel and holiday, we went having read mixed reviews with an open mind. It has a three star rating so it isn't going to be the Ritz.

We had an Oceanview Cottage, right next door to the Jasmine Delta Asian restaurant (very nice, but you have to like that style of food to fully appreciate it).

Our room was cleaned daily, fresh towels, toilet rolls and bottled water. Cut flowers left on the bed was a nice touch, as was the sculpted towel in the shape of a swan! Don't get me wrong, that wasn't every day and we knew of other guests that didn't receive it so I think it was down to our maid.

Food- Pick A Pepper restaurant is hot/cold buffet style breakfast lunch and dinner, with lots of variety (so if you don't like what you tried- leave it and go back for something different- the dirty plate won't be at the table when you get back!)

Cafe Med is open every second night- book early that day at the reception. Food is FAB! Staff attend to your every need -although that was fairly true the complex over.

Before I went, I read comments that the drinks were too strong and what I'd say is "Communicate". Ask for less rum (or more, if you feel the need) The beer is not great, and if its the first of the day after it's been in the pipes all night it can be downright awful, but you've been warned so start off with a few cocktails ( >25 to choose from) and let someone else do the hard work for you.

Entertainment staff put in an incredible amount of work. They're there from first thing in the morning till last thing at night and still manage to shake their ass off on stage to those Reggie rhythms. The amount of preparation for their stage performances is obvious, with some really cracking outfits.

And again, refering to my fellow Scot's review- I'm stunned by the " Booze & Tatooz" remark as we met a whole range of folk from the UK and they were fantastic ( That's a big Irie Mon to you Mr and Mrs Jones, Phillips and Roberts. Also Gary and Mo)

So would I go back? Yeh Mon.

Mr & Mrs Calder ;-)

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2004

My wife and I took our 8 month old baby boy with us and we had a wonderful time. The rooms were clean, grounds maintained daily, and water sports great. Even water skiing was included!!! The staff make sure you're having a good time as well. Service is laid back but then again, you're in Jamaica mon! We arrived at night and were somewhat uneasy because it wasn't the usual 4/5 star resort with a posh hotel.
Once morning came around we were pleasantly put at ease with the cleanliness and beautiful beach/ocean. Let me just say, this is a resort where you really are missing out if you don't get to know the staff. They do everything to make you laugh and make sure you've left your worries at home! To be honest the only negative thing was the guy from England who literally kicked my wife, my 8 month old and me out of our pool side lawn chairs because he had 'claimed ' them a few hours before with a couple of towels. The chairs were empty for hours yet he insisted they were his. Short of a fist-a-cuffs with an ol' bloke, we gave up the chairs and moved to two empty ones right beside his! This is probably not the right place for a young couple looking to party, rather a young family that wants R&R and quality time together. Hey Barry, hows it going - drop an email sometime. Frank and Jen, ship us a couple of the pics you took of Chris, Matthew and I.

Teesside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2004

We got married at the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean and can honestly say we wouldnt have done it any other way. Everything about this place is superb, with great food, great staff, a great beach and great entertainment. The wedding itself was magical. We got married in the gazebo in the garden which was decked in flowers. Anne, the Wedding Co-ordinator did a fantastic job in arranging everything, and Paul the Photographer did us proud with the photos. The Reverend is a lovely man who looks just like Trevor McDonald. The atmosphere is amazing and the staff go out of their way to make sure everyone has a good time.
There's live music every night (we are true Reggae fans now!!) and they're sure to get everyone up dancing. Great value for money (I dont smoke but even the ciggies are included!) We had an IRIE time and we didnt want to go home! GO THERE, YOU'LL LOVE IT!!

3 Thank TraFev
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2004

I could write a book about the mess with the reservation, but I won't bore you. The beach at this hotel is great, clean, plenty shade and sunbeds, and the sea is nice and safe for the kids, if a bit rocky.
Other than that everything in the hotel is either old, worn, shabby, torn, chipped, stained or simply not working. But I suppose you get what you pay for. Food is hot and fresh, and as long as you like a variation on snapper, chicken and shoe leather-like beef, then you are ok. Play hunt for the unchipped plate! I read the comments from the Americans about the small cups, and laughed when I saw the cups, not at the size, but they are plastic!! There is nothing refined here, but the staff do try, are friendly in that sort of "if I'm friendly I may get a tip" way (the only country I've not had that is Thailand). Clientele are mostly Bob 'n' Sue from Smallsville ,USA, and the usual Booz 'n' Tattoz crowd from the UK. Not for me, but a cheap holiday on a nice beach, so not too bad.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2003

July 2003 for two weeks: Hotel safe, clean, food excellent and varied. Entertainment repetitive but fun. Plenty of room in restaurants, beach, bars sunbeds etc. Diving school on site great. Beach clean with soft white sand. Entry to sea quite rocky. Organised trips in the area though your rep were all very good. For a hotel based holiday if you only want to go out on organised trips then this is recommended highly, However..... SAFTEY: I do not recommend going out of the hotel day or night around the resort, huge amounts of drug pushers, beggars etc made it impossible to walk down the road without dangerous hassel. Also alot of awful crude comments from local men to tourists mainley women just shouted out were ever we were. We heard about several recent attacks on any tourists who were a bit sharpe on saying NO to the pushers. This was not our first trip to Jamaica but it has certianly not the place it used to be.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runaway Bay
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Royal Decameron Montego Beach
#22 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,132 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Club Caribbean? Share your experiences!